Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2020, 01:56 PM
Fan Forum Legend

The breakup made far more sense than a wedding at that point would have.

Leigh Tumblr
Old 05-07-2020, 02:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

No doubt about that
Old 05-07-2020, 04:03 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined to Be (View Post)
Yeah, I actually don't really have a problem with him proposing. For the whole duration of high school, they were acting like adults anyway. I guess have a hard time seeing them as young because they didn't live like regular teenagers. And while Lucas was insecure about the distance between them and the rejection letters he was getting, he proposed because he wanted to prioritize what was important; their relationship. That's why he told her wanted her next to him when his dreams came true and even if they didn't. And Peyton's reasons for not saying yes make sense on paper but after she admitted in 5x07 that she was scared those now seem like excuses. Which means deep down she wanted to marry him. Again, as I said before, had they gotten engaged, it didn't have to be this rushed thing.

I've had plenty of ships break up and reunite I don't expect my pairings to be perfect but Letyon's breakup doesn't feel it was something that made sense for progression of their relationship. Apparently, to some writers, good drama is keeping the couple apart because? That why the didn't let them talk. Brooke told Lucas to give Peyton space and work on his novel because had he reach out to her right away they would have gotten back together. It's silly.
I remember Lucas asking her why now in 5x08 and she screamed "Because I should have said yes"

In the beginning I remember Lucas telling Haley he believed long distance can work she said no it's hard. In the finale Peyton didn't want to go but he pushed her. Now after she left was it hard of course but I never saw insecurity as motivating his proposal. He saw Naley, his mom all have family and he wanted that. He wanted to progress like any normal guy and he would never ask her to move but offered why? Because he was less tied down and was only helping Naley but that was never going to be long term. Hell Peyton was still just an assistant it's not like there was a big sacrifice and dropping their future just to be close. They were both pursuing their dreams. It was contrived bad writing. If she said yes he would still be going to NY a lot for the book and wherever else he had to. Imagine if she had gotten pregnant then, wouldn't they plan to be living in the same place? Duh. Just like he went and worked in S6 while she stayed in TH.

That's why she acted that way all of season 5 pining. She knew she had the chance at happiness and regrets not following her heart.
Exactly and what a weird message to send it's not like you can't marry and follow your dreams. This isn't 1900s, both are going to work. Same show who marries a couple at 16 that was too fast and wouldn't really work. Honestly it made more sense to at least break up and use long distance as excuse. I still think if any couple can work long distance it would be LP but that would be less contrived. That not talking reminds me of S2. It's like that's the only way to keep them apart. Hell Peyton not seeing Jamie, Lily or anyone is weird in and of itself lol there is always contrived in this show but never so blatantly ridiculous.

Last edited by lilsjoy; 05-07-2020 at 04:55 PM
Old 05-07-2020, 04:25 PM
Fan Forum Legend

As I've said, for Lucas, it did have to be a rushed thing. He made that pretty clear when he refused to wait a year (because it wasn't about marriage, he proposed to try and force them into being in the same place). He wanted it at that moment and wasn't thinking about what it would have meant for them. She could have gone with it, sure, but it would have irretrievably destroyed their relationship down the line when they both resented each other.

Anyways, last page here.

Leigh Tumblr
Old 05-07-2020, 07:21 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieLeigh (View Post)
As I've said, for Lucas, it did have to be a rushed thing. He made that pretty clear when he refused to wait a year (because it wasn't about marriage, he proposed to try and force them into being in the same place). He wanted it at that moment and wasn't thinking about what it would have meant for them. She could have gone with it, sure, but it would have irretrievably destroyed their relationship down the line when they both resented each other.

Anyways, last page here.
I always saw that as soon as Peyton said someday Lucas felt rejected. Dude really believed that she didn't want to marry him. So when she said in another year he saw it as a half-hearted attempt to make him feel better and he didn't actually believe that she meant it. I still think that could have made it work so we're going to have to agree to disagree on that front . I don't see how the could have rushed down the aisle. Lucas ended up getting his book deal the next day. So many loose ends would have had to be taken care of before it could even progress to that. In long distance relationships at some point somebody has to move. Lucas offered to because that's where Peyton felt she needed to be for career. It's not outlandish that he would want them to be on the same coast. By moving to LA he wouldn't have been giving up on his dreams. Writers can write anywhere. I don't see where he would have ended up resenting her for it. But hey, in my opinion, a married but separated Leyton would have made a far more interesting story line than them creating another triangle dragging out the Lindsay mess. Then toting out Julian as the last guy Peyton and Brooke would share. In some ways it might have been reminiscent of Naley's marriage struggle but the writers were already reusing certain story lines anyway.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:30 PM
Fan Forum Legend

The whole reason he went there is because he wanted them in the same place. He was already impatient and wanting it then and now before he even asked her. He pretty much went in there with a now or never attitude.

Eventually they would have to be in the same place. Not before they've pursued their dreams. Lucas didn't want to be in LA, he wanted to write and help with Jamie. Being willing to go is not the same as wanting to. His plan of action was essentially force it now so they can resent each other later.

They didn't need to be married for there to be no triangle. They're two completely separate issues. Having them married would have been as big a mistake as Lindsey was.

Leigh Tumblr
Old 05-07-2020, 09:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

They were not ready at that point in their life to be married in my opinion. They still had dreams to work on and some things they needed to work out.
I am an original”
Old 05-07-2020, 10:01 PM
Fan Forum Legend

They had a lot to work out, and as they proved, major communication issues. Definitely not a solid foundation for marriage.

Leigh Tumblr
Old 05-08-2020, 02:44 AM
Fan Forum Legend

What title does everyone want to use for the next thread?
Old 05-08-2020, 08:33 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by msstock87 (View Post)
They were not ready at that point in their life to be married in my opinion. They still had dreams to work on and some things they needed to work out.
And Naley were definitely not ready and shouldn't have nor would their marriage work. That is more unrealistic. Lucas and Peyton's desire for family and his proposal was at the perfect time. Both more mature, well him laying his heart out. He deserved an answer and shouldn't have to hold his feelings back.

Peyton to Lucas: "Because I should have said yes" clear as a door nail. not a girl who wasn't ready would say, a girl who regrets her answer due to her unfounded fears.

Love doesn't work like that. Peyton really hurt Lucas with her no yes or no answer. Peyton admitted she regretted her mistake. She hurt him. He left. By Peyton's own words she was ready but as usual she let her fear overcome her love for him. It's too bad there was not growth for her in the flashbacks. Just more the same running away when he invited her to the signing and she jumped to wrong conclusions and he had a right to move on.

Last edited by Kelly♥Coffee; 05-08-2020 at 08:44 AM
Old 05-08-2020, 12:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

It really wasn't the perfect time. Naley getting married was already too much. Why make the problem worse by repeating it?

As has been said, Peyton regretting her decision retrospectively doesn't mean she made the wrong one. She didn't. She was absolutely right to not say yes when they still had way too much to figure out.

She wasn't ready, if she was she would have said yes. Regretting a good choice doesn't mean she was ready, if anything she tried to force herself to believe she had been ready when she wasn't so it was easier to blame herself, because blaming herself was easier than blaming Lucas.

Leigh Tumblr
Old 05-08-2020, 02:18 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Makes no sense to double down on that

Yep, would have done more damage to their relationship if LP got married before they were ready
Old 05-08-2020, 09:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

I don’t think it’s bad to get engaged young if the couple is ready for it, I got engaged at a young age, had a long engagement and am still happily married. However it’s not right for everyone and I think Peyton and Lucas still had a lot to figure out before getting engaged.
I am an original”
Old 05-08-2020, 10:17 PM
Fan Forum Legend

New thread

Leigh Tumblr
Closed Thread   Post New Thread