Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2019, 02:23 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Loved that scene so much

Found this view on the 5x05 proposal on my computer

Quote:
Beware, I'm about to post a novel. I'm only expecting Mina to read it

Here's my take on Lucas' 5.05 proposal which I've posted before lol:

After I watched 5.05 for the first time, I was totally on Peyton's side and I found myself incredibly angry at Lucas because he left. But looking back on it, Im able to see both of their points of view and see that both of them had good intentions, but they handled it all wrong.

I had no problems with Lucas proposing. Alot of people believe that he shouldn't have proposed because it was a result of insecurities or that he was trying to be like NH, or whatever, but seeing his proposal, I had no doubts that his desire to marry Peyton was because he truly wanted to spend the rest of his life with her. Regardless of whether or not seeing NHJ together helped him arrive at the decision doesn't really matter to me. Alot of people have moments where their surroundings help facilitate thoughts about where they want to be in their future. Lucas wanted forever with Peyton and I can't have any problems with that. His speech was so heartfelt and honest, I saw no hesitation or anything to suggest that he was unsure of what he wanted.

Peyton was totally justified in her hesitation about getting married so soon and so young, but I cannot understand for the life of me why a long engagement wasn't an option. She completely freaked out and really had very little tact after Lucas made his speech. He's basically telling her he wants forever with her, and the first thing she does is practically jump out of her chair and walk away from him. Not cool. I wasn't too pleased with the whole NH comparisons that Lucas and Peyton made either. LP are nothing like NH so I didn't understand Lucas' rationale about them making marriage work at a young age nor did I understand Peyton's rationale about marriage being difficult because it was difficult for NH. Who said marriage is going to be easy regardless of when you get married?

I really felt for Peyton when they sat down on the bed and she kept telling him she loved him. I was sort of sad but then I started to see how much Peyton had to learn about relationships. In my opinion, love isn't enough. I really wish she would have said something other than "I love you so much". I also felt for her when he pulled away from her after she grabbed his arm. Lucas was acting pretty childish in that moment. I get that he was hurt and he was coming to terms with the fact that she wasn't accepting his proposal, but he should not have been so resistant to listening to what she had to say just because it wasn't exactly what he wanted to hear. But again, I can't get mad at him for wanting to hear that Peyton wanted to marry him.

So often people bitch about how fickle Lucas is, and how he doesn't know what he wants, and when he is assertive and sure of himself and what he wants, he still gets heat. In this case, I didn't agree with his decision to leave Peyton in the hotel room, but again I can't hate him for it. It didn't seem to be out of malice, it seemed to be a result of him wanting to protect himself (which was the theme of S5 and the majority of his behavior). It was totally inconsiderate simply because Peyton should not have to wake up alone in a hotel room, but Lucas probably would not have been able to handle a discussion like the one they had the previous night (which is probably what would have happened). He was definitely being a coward though. There's no way around that. But I've been in a long distance relationship before, and it was pretty painful. It's like the choice of ending something immediately and taking the pain right then, or choosing to drag it out and prolong the suffering. That's probably how he saw the situation. But he should have had more faith in them and their ability to rise above the distance thing just like Peyton should have had more faith in their potential marriage.
What did you think about it?

Last edited by stlavin95; 12-01-2019 at 04:22 AM
Old 12-06-2019, 02:55 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Old 12-10-2019, 01:31 PM
Elite Fan

'Your heart matters, it's what got me here".
Old 12-10-2019, 01:46 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Leigh Tumblr
Old 12-11-2019, 02:45 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Love that scene so much
Old 12-11-2019, 03:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

It's powerful.

Leigh Tumblr
Old 12-12-2019, 02:05 AM
Fan Forum Legend

One of my favourite S5 scenes for that reason
Old 12-13-2019, 09:09 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlavin95 (View Post)
One of my favourite S5 scenes for that reason
It is and adds meaning to their deep connection that goes beyond words.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

That connection was always going to be there.

Leigh Tumblr
Old 12-13-2019, 02:24 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yes it was, despite what some fans think
Old 12-14-2019, 01:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

They had a deep connection from the start that could not be broken no matter what.
I am an original”
Old 12-14-2019, 02:31 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yep. It was always obvious.

Leigh Tumblr
Old 12-14-2019, 04:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

It seriously was
Old 12-16-2019, 09:46 AM
Elite Fan

Most obvious thing ever since this scene:

Old 12-16-2019, 02:38 PM