Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2020, 02:27 AM
Fan Forum Legend

OTH General Discussion Thread #8

Continue

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlavin95 (View Post)
Nathan had some pretty boring plots as well, but he doesn't mean wasn't still important to the narrative
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieLeigh (View Post)
None of that changes that he was relevant to the show when Jake wasn't

Even Tristan was a step up from Jess, tbh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleygirlsyndrome (View Post)
I don't know. I found his narratives to always be so boring. Any time Lucas was on, it was such a yawn.

Like, I know he was the star of the show, but I feel like he only got that gig because he was Tristan on Gilmore Girls. Who, if you want to talk about literal trash.

He harassed Rory, repeatedly, and it was supposed to be endearing.

And, Jake wasn't a good dad, but I did say kind of, and that's because I don't totally get that storyline. Like all of a sudden Jake has a baby, and the mother of his baby is causing problems. And then he just leaves and come back. It just seems like a weird external storyline all together.

I feel like who was important to the narrative, whom I always wanted to watch were Nathan, Brooke, Haley, and Peyton.

Lucas, I always felt was brooding in the back, and I could never understand what he was saying, because of the weird, ominous way he whisper-talked.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:10 AM
Fan Forum Legend

tftnt

Leigh Tumblr
Old 08-02-2020, 02:07 PM
Fan Forum Legend

No problem
Old 08-10-2020, 11:37 AM
Loyal Fan

Thanks for the new thread! I always get confused on where the old thread ends and the new thread begins (oth reference, hint hint. )

OK, since the last topic was controversial and did, of course, belong in the rant thread, and since I've got two Leyton fans disagreeing with me, and no backup.

I started watching The OC, and had to switch to gossip girl, because at least gossip girl was obvious and admitting in its privilege.

But, I was talking to my friend about how it's hard for me to watch the trials and tribulations of rich kids in the OC doing far worse than their counterparts in the hood, and still be so miserable about everything.

Like, Marissa, my friend pointed out would be going through regular teenage depression.

And, not to be crude, but given I have some background in this, comparing Marissa's OD'ing to like Nathan's taking speed, I always found Nathan's issues to be more realistic, even if they were also a result of being privileged.

Because, okay, Marissa's boyfriend cheated, her father was kind of an active deadbeat of sorts, her mother might be adjacent to an emotional abuser.

But, no one compares to Dan.

I think that's why I've always liked OTH better. It wasn't as slow, the writing didn't drag on as much, there was still plenty of humor, and yeah, it was totally privileged people's problems, but there was some real emotional abuse, gaslighting, and things that would make you question your own sanity. Things that would make you take speed or say screw basketball, or, dare I say, want to marry your troubles away in the girl you just fell in love with.

Despite how crude the showrunner wanted to make OTH at times, I still think it was better than the OC, because it showed different layers to the characters and different reasonings behind their actions.

I'll admit though, some of those actions and storylines were downright stupid.

But, I still think, and not to sound like the OD police, Marissa's reason for getting drunk and taking pills in Mexico did not reconcile with say Nathan chowing down on speed for his game that Dan kept saying would never be good as his.

I mean, I know OD'ing is a lot of times an impulse. But, from experience, it usually becomes an impulse when you feel you've got nothing left to live for. I don't see that with Marissa.

Just food for thought.

*Disclaimer, I know Nathan didn't OD, but the area is grey.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:39 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I didn't watch either of those shows

Leigh Tumblr
Old 08-10-2020, 11:42 AM
Loyal Fan

Well, I recommend Gossip Girl, because Kristen Bell's narration is just super fun, and those lines that GG says are just perfect in their serving of wit.

The OC is pretty slow.

I'd stick to OTH.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:45 AM
Fan Forum Legend

My sister watched Gossip Girl, what I caught of it looked terrible.

Leigh Tumblr
Old 08-10-2020, 11:49 AM
Loyal Fan

Well, Gossip Girl is more like a whole package show. I don't know how else to describe it. But, without watching it in its entirety, it's like a lot of pretty people backstabbing each other for no reason. Honestly, my favorite part of Gossip Girl is how KB's narration ties the story together.

For me, OTH, still reigns supreme. It feels weird to say that, given what we know, but as far as I know, I try to focus on the women of that show, and how hard they worked and fought. How Hilarie stuck it out until her contract was over. How Sophia fought for Brooke she wore a turtleneck. How they all sat down and realized they had to stick together.

That's why I still watch that show.

Plus, like I said, it's different from the OC and gossip girl in that I don't have to cry "Poor Little Rich Boy" for a lot of these folks, because they did go through really crappy things with their parents, that no one should.

Oh, and Veronica Mars! But the last season was god-awful, and not because of the surprise ending. I had to slog through a horribly written season just to get slapped in the face by that stupid ending.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:54 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I haven't watched that, either

Teen dramas generally aren't my thing.

Leigh Tumblr
Old 08-10-2020, 12:01 PM
Loyal Fan

Then, I'm curious, what got you into One Tree Hill? I mean, you're not just a fan, you moderate the board, too.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:02 PM
Fan Forum Legend

A friend of mine kind of annoyed me about it for months.

Leigh Tumblr
Old 08-10-2020, 12:11 PM
Loyal Fan

Oh, that sounds like me wanting my friend to watch Veronica Mars. Now, I have to apologize for season 4. But, then, again, he annoyed me about Broadchurch and other shows, that are excellent.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:13 PM
Fan Forum Legend

She was completely wrong about what I would like about OTH

Leigh Tumblr
Old 08-10-2020, 12:14 PM
Loyal Fan

That's hilarious. Well, what did she think you'd like, and what do you actually like?
Old 08-10-2020, 12:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

She thought I'd love Brooke and brucas. In reality I saw Brooke as a version of the girls that bullied me in school and brucas as toxic. When I first started, I loved Naley but didn't have much interest in much else.

Leigh Tumblr
Closed Thread   Post New Thread