Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2016, 06:33 PM
Elite Fan

Dp.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:34 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Wish they had more screentime as individuals and a couple though. It was their last season after all. And it's so weird Mark gave no explanation about where they were headed at the end of the season, when he already knew for sure CH aren't coming back, if I'm not mistaken.
Compared to other couples I've liked/shipped, LP were treated pretty well. We got to see them in a long-term, loving relationship twice: once as teenagers and once as adults. That's a pretty rare thing in not only teen dramas but other shows. As far as CH go, they knew he wasn't coming back in s6 because Chad decided not to renew his contract. We didn't find that out until mid-season but I'm pretty there were inklings that he didn't want to continue on. Hil was let go because Mark didn't want to end Peyton's story without Lucas. I'm not sure this was ever officially confirmed but that's what it seemed like at the time. So Mark knew they weren't returned for s7 before s6 ended, for sure. I too wish that CH had gotten more screentime in s6, individually and as a couple, it's weird that they didn't.

Quote:
One of the best things about S1 is you knew Lucas's POV perfectly. You knew the reasons why he did everything. Even if you didn't always agree we knew what was going on in his head. Maybe that's because it was only in that season that he was viewed as the central protagonist of the show. The other seasons seemed to focus more on Peyton's (or Nathan's POV)...or even Brooke's at times. We only seemed to get a genuine sustained emphasis on Lucas's POV when it came to parent drama after S1.
THIS! I love LP and I love Lucas, but I wish we had gotten more of his pov after s1. I think they shifted away from him because NH and Nathan became so popular with the fans. And Lucas was relegated to one triangle after another. OTH isn't unique in that Lucas lost his pov because of it. That's happened on plenty of other shows, sadly. But I'd say that it was always obvious that Lucas' heart never left Peyton. I think the only season that made me scratch my head as far as that goes is s2 with the sudden turn around in 2x10 as Tamara mentioned.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:13 PM
Dedicated Fan

^ Yeah I agree compared other couples I've shipped Lucas and Peyton were definitely treated pretty well. No quicky divorce after an entire season was spent on their wedding. No season worth of built up destroyed with a crappy out of nowhere 'Let's be friends' excuse and no Dear John letter with the girl referring to the guy she dated for two years 'In some ways like a brother.' Can you believe the last one was a kid's show?

Last edited by Destined to Be; 10-21-2016 at 04:41 PM
Old 10-21-2016, 01:06 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfangirl86 (View Post)
Compared to other couples I've liked/shipped, LP were treated pretty well. We got to see them in a long-term, loving relationship twice: once as teenagers and once as adults. That's a pretty rare thing in not only teen dramas but other shows. As far as CH go, they knew he wasn't coming back in s6 because Chad decided not to renew his contract. We didn't find that out until mid-season but I'm pretty there were inklings that he didn't want to continue on. Hil was let go because Mark didn't want to end Peyton's story without Lucas. I'm not sure this was ever officially confirmed but that's what it seemed like at the time. So Mark knew they weren't returned for s7 before s6 ended, for sure. I too wish that CH had gotten more screentime in s6, individually and as a couple, it's weird that they didn't.
Yeah, LP did get treated well compared to other couples, I just think we should've gotten more time of them together and less of the triangle drama. I don't think Mark let go Hil go IMO, especially considering he was bitter (from what I've heard) about her departure, which makes no sense if he was the reason why she left. She definitely left because she didn't want Peyton to end up with anyone else though.

Quote:
THIS! I love LP and I love Lucas, but I wish we had gotten more of his pov after s1. I think they shifted away from him because NH and Nathan became so popular with the fans. And Lucas was relegated to one triangle after another. OTH isn't unique in that Lucas lost his pov because of it. That's happened on plenty of other shows, sadly. But I'd say that it was always obvious that Lucas' heart never left Peyton. I think the only season that made me scratch my head as far as that goes is s2 with the sudden turn around in 2x10 as Tamara mentioned.
I get that Nathan/Naley came more popular and all (even though I'm not massive fans of either) but surely the writers could've thought of other storylines besides love triangles. 2.10 is definitely an head scratcher and it probably always will be.

Last edited by stlavin95; 10-21-2016 at 01:17 AM
Old 10-21-2016, 04:38 PM
Obsessed Fan

All in all, I guess we were pretty luck with LP. I don't think I've ever been completely satisfied with writing for any on the couples I've liked, but quite a few had atrocious developments and/or endings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined to Be (View Post)
^ Yeah I agree compared other couples I've shipped Lucas and Peyton were definitely treated pretty well. No quicky divorce after an entire season was spent on their wedding. No season worth a built up destroyed with a crappy out of nowhere 'Let's be friends' excuse and no Dear John letter with the girl referring to the guy she dated for two years 'In some ways like a brother.' Can you believe the last one was a kid's show?
Ouch, those three really sound awful, especially the last one.

ETA:
Quote:
As far as CH go, they knew he wasn't coming back in s6 because Chad decided not to renew his contract. We didn't find that out until mid-season but I'm pretty there were inklings that he didn't want to continue on. Hil was let go because Mark didn't want to end Peyton's story without Lucas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlavin95 (View Post)
I don't think Mark let go Hil go IMO, especially considering he was bitter (from what I've heard) about her departure, which makes no sense if he was the reason why she left..
This is one of the off screen mysteries I guess. I was under the impression that Hil more-or-less had to leave because Chad wanted to, but Mark did seem bitter about her departure, judging by some digs Peyton/LP fans who watched beyond s6 noticed in later series. Then there is also the fact Mark said Hil couldn't make it to Brooke's wedding episode, but she said (and Joy kinda confirmed) she wasn't invited. Weird.

Last edited by Slayerette89; 10-21-2016 at 05:23 PM
Old 10-22-2016, 03:35 PM
Elite Fan

^ Hmmm, well we'll never really know, it's all just speculation. As with a lot of things, I'm sure it's more complicated than we realize. I just know that Chad chose not to return, that has been confirmed. However, I do believe Hil and Joy when they say she wasn't invited to come back for Brooke's wedding.

Asia, do you mind saying which couples those are? None of them seem familiar so it could be shows I haven't seen. Though the "lets be friends" one sounds a lot like what happened with Kara/Jimmy on Supergirl. If that's who you're talking about, I also found that completely disappointing.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:22 PM
Dedicated Fan

^ The couples I was talking about were Barney/Robin (HIMYM) and yes you're right Kara and Jimmy. I was so mad. I wasn't that invested in the pairing initially but then I warmed up to them and I was excited to see their relationship play out. The writers went against the narrative they set up in season one. Kara acted like she could barely stand to be around Jimmy in the premiere after all that pining she did. Seriously, what changed in 12 hours? Honestly, it almost soured the show for me. I ranted to anyone who would listen about it. The last couple Kim/Tommy (power rangers) they were my first ship when I was a kid before I even knew shipping was a thing.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:30 AM
Obsessed Fan

^I was wondering if the third couple was Kimberly/Tommy because you said kids' show and I vaguely remember the letter break up. I used to love that show, though, luckily, I didn't care about any ships very much. I don't think any of them got endgame or even became properly canon.

Quote:
^ Hmmm, well we'll never really know, it's all just speculation. As with a lot of things, I'm sure it's more complicated than we realize. I just know that Chad chose not to return, that has been confirmed. However, I do believe Hil and Joy when they say she wasn't invited to come back for Brooke's wedding.
Yeah, probably. Tbh, backstage drama doesn't interest me much, but I found it kinda funny Hilarie and Joy said Hilarie wasn't invited about Brooke's wedding and Mark and Sophia said conflicting schedules were the problem. Agree on a common story and feed us that one.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:19 PM
Elite Fan

I haven't seen those other two shows but I know what it's like for shows to drop ships that they had invested in. It's always disappointing. I know what you mean about the Kara/Jimmy thing--they aren't an OTP of mine but I was invested in them and their story. I was looking forward to seeing a fluffy ship who supported each other in such a healthy way. It was a refreshing change then they just dropped it like it was never meant to go anywhere. I haven't even caught up with the latest episodes because of that. It just made me lose a bit of faith in the writers.

Anyway, back to LP. I'm glad they didn't leave their story hanging, I'm glad they came back to it even if it took them a whole season to do so.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:26 AM
Obsessed Fan

If they hadn't happen in s4 or broke up at the end, I would have hated this show even more than I already do. Same for s6.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

I am glad these two got their happy ending that they deserved after everything they went through. I wish we could have seen Hil again at least at Brooke's wedding, but it is what it is.
I am an original”
Old 10-26-2016, 03:19 AM
Obsessed Fan

It would have been nice if they had come back for Brooke's wedding or the finale but it just didn't work out. And, on the plus side, them not being in any eps post s6 freed us from having to actually watch any of them.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:27 PM
Elite Fan

^ You make a good point! I'm glad LP went out on a high note so I'm pretty satisfied with how their story ended even if they didn't bother to explain where they went in following seasons.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

I am glad they went out on a high note too. I just always thought it would have been nice to see Peyton at Brooke's wedding since she was her best friend.
I am an original”
Old 10-28-2016, 03:01 AM
Fan Forum Legend

It definitely would've nice to have seen Peyton at Brooke's wedding but at the same time that meant I didn't have to start watching again lol.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread