Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2004, 01:13 PM
Total Fan

Character Development

Brooke, Nathan, and Lucus have all changed quite a bit since the beginning of the season.

Anyone have any thoughts on the character development of these three characters or any other characters on the show?

[ 02-26-2004: Message edited groovygirl ]
Old 02-26-2004, 01:31 PM
Master Fan

ITA, I don't see how these characters, including Haley, can all change almost overnight. I commented on this a while ago when Nathan and Haley started dating about how all the characters are doing a complete 360. Personally I like Nathan and Brooke how they are now, more open, but Lucas and Haley on the other hand [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

It wouldn't have bothered me so much really if it would have happened over a whole season and not a whole episode [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

[ 02-26-2004: Message edited *Ciera Rochelle* ]
Old 02-26-2004, 04:57 PM
Loyal Fan

ya i know wht you mean i think taht basically all the characters are developing tooo fast. I mean it doesnt make any sense to me..i think they have to slow it down
Old 02-26-2004, 07:56 PM
Total Fan

I agree that OTH needs to slow down. The development of Nathan could have spanned the whole season. I love how Nathan has changed from being a jerk to being a caring boyfriend, but his transition could have been spread out over the entire season. They could have had him gradually change because of his relationship with Haley. They could have shown him struggle with trying not to be careless. I think the first episodes of OTH did establish pretty well that Nathan was a jerk mainly because of Dan though. Not that Nathan shouldn't take responsibilty, but his behavior was understandable. He does still have a way to go with Lucus though, but with the way they are going, they'll have them be best buddies (brothers) forever after one good conversation. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I like what they have done with Brooke. She is more likable now and she has some depth. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2004, 08:23 PM
Obsessed Fan

despite the quick changes in the characters, i actually really like the pace at which OTH is going. Everything is down to the point and nothing is totally dragging, except for the l/b/p triangle IMO. we may only have had 16 episodes, but the time elapsed for the characters is about 1/2 a year, which is plenty of time to change i believe.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:26 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Kayley:
<STRONG>despite the quick changes in the characters, i actually really like the pace at which OTH is going. Everything is down to the point and nothing is totally dragging, except for the l/b/p triangle IMO. we may only have had 16 episodes, but the time elapsed for the characters is about 1/2 a year, which is plenty of time to change i believe.</STRONG>
True but that means it's been about what 2 months since Nathan and Haley have been dating and Haley is already skipping classes, failing tests, and acting/dressing like the total opposite of the Haley we met at the beginning? I just don't like that. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Nathan's had too much of an influence on her.

As for Lucas he and Brooke have only been seeing each other for maybe a month and he's turning into someone I don't even recognize much less his best friend.

I just....don't like it [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2004, 10:39 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
True but that means it's been about what 2 months since Nathan and Haley have been dating and Haley is already skipping classes, failing tests, and acting/dressing like the total opposite of the Haley we met at the beginning? I just don't like that. Nathan's had too much of an influence on her.

As for Lucas he and Brooke have only been seeing each other for maybe a month and he's turning into someone I don't even recognize much less his best friend.

I just....don't like it
I totally agree with what you are saying

Especially with the haley thing...she has become the totally opposite person that we were familiar with. Im not impressed at all

And for Nathan's character, i dont really believe he can become that good in such a short time..

And Yes, even Lucas. I must say..even if he is really hot, this just isnt really working out for him..and this is making me like him less
Old 02-26-2004, 10:46 PM
Loyal Fan

Who's to say though that Haley didn't already have the idea of changing in her head before she started dating Nathan? Nathan's totally praised this girl and maybe that has given her the self-confidence boost she needs to actually go through with the changes and do what she really wants to do. I don't think Haley's a total opposite of who she was at the beginning of the season, she's just figuring out who she is. Nobody knows who they are at 16. Nathan's just given her the support system she's needed to actually go out and find out who "Haley" is.

As for Lucas, he's been his mom's best friend his whole life. He's been under her thumb for a long time(not necessarily in a bad way). He's in a new world with new experiences and his mom isn't there to monitor it all. I see it as a typical example of teenage rebellion, only amplified. Hopefully he'll grow out of it, but I'm just surprised no one's really called him on it yet.

Nate's changes I think come from his realization that he doesn't have to be who his dad wants him to be. I see old Nathan as almost a carbon copy of Dan at that age. Perfect cheerleader girlfriend, king of b-ball, known and revered by (almost) all. Nate's realized he doesn't have to be this way anymore; it's about who he wants to be. I don't think he's changed so much as having been allowed to show his true colors.

Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.
Floyd Dell
Old 02-26-2004, 11:17 PM
Master Fan

Okay I agreed with the last two things you said, but this.....I just can't agree on

Quote:
Who's to say though that Haley didn't already have the idea of changing in her head before she started dating Nathan? Nathan's totally praised this girl and maybe that has given her the self-confidence boost she needs to actually go through with the changes and do what she really wants to do. I don't think Haley's a total opposite of who she was at the beginning of the season, she's just figuring out who she is. Nobody knows who they are at 16. Nathan's just given her the support system she's needed to actually go out and find out who "Haley" is.
When the show first started Haley was already a person who didn't care what people thought and seemed to me she had all the self confidence she needed. She grew up in a house full of people. How could she possibly not have self confidence?

To me when I first saw the show Haley was the first to stick out as her own person. She did want she wanted and didn't listen to anyone else. I don't see how she could go from not caring to what people think to a person with no self confidence.

Okay, end rant [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2004, 11:47 PM
Master Fan

I hate the person Lucas is becoming.

In my opinion, I think the writers are doing a crappy job when it comes to Luke's storyline.

It's like, "Okay, let's pair him up with Brooke.. oh wait, that's a mistake, he should get him together with Peyton, okay, so let's have him break up with Brooke... ooops, bad move, that doesnt seem to work, maybe we should bring over a guest and have her strip in front of Lucas..."

God, can't they make up their minds? I mean, I enjoy a fast-paced story development but this is WAY too fast. It's making Lucas seem like a whore when he's the guy we're supposed to be sympathizing with.

I feel like the writers dont have a clear view of where Lucas'character is supposed to be heading (and to think, he's the main character).

Sadly, because of this, I'm lost a little bit of interest in the show. I still watch it but I don't do my Tuesday countdowns anymore. I want my old OTH back. Or better yet, the old Lucas that I adored at beginning. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2004, 11:59 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by *Ciera Rochelle*:
<STRONG>When the show first started Haley was already a person who didn't care what people thought and seemed to me she had all the self confidence she needed. She grew up in a house full of people. How could she possibly not have self confidence?

To me when I first saw the show Haley was the first to stick out as her own person. She did want she wanted and didn't listen to anyone else. I don't see how she could go from not caring to what people think to a person with no self confidence.

Okay, end rant [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]</STRONG>
I'm not saying she had no self-confidence, she just might not have had the huge amount of confidence it takes to go through with trying new things. BJL herself even said that Haley is lacking in the self-confidence department and makes up for it by being loud and boisterous.

Floyd Dell
Old 02-27-2004, 09:46 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by welcometomyworld:
<STRONG>

I'm not saying she had no self-confidence, she just might not have had the huge amount of confidence it takes to go through with trying new things. BJL herself even said that Haley is lacking in the self-confidence department and makes up for it by being loud and boisterous.</STRONG>

Well then IMO they shouldn't have portrayed her as someone who does have more self confidence to do things she wanted, because that's what I saw when I see Haley. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] I just don't see Haley as being someone who's afraid to do things she wants to do
Old 02-28-2004, 01:19 AM
Total Fan

I am also starting to get the impression that the writers do not know what to do with Lucus. Maybe they will explain his behavior in a future episode, but at the moment, it looks like they have no idea what to do with him.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:37 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by groovygirl:
<STRONG>I am also starting to get the impression that the writers do not know what to do with Lucus. Maybe they will explain his behavior in a future episode, but at the moment, it looks like they have no idea what to do with him.</STRONG>
Yeah, I get that too. I thought maybe after a near-death experience, he would realize what an ass he's been, but that didn't work. I'm not sure what else they could throw at him to make him realize he needs to change. Either the writers have painted themselves into a corner with this one or they're just evil geniuses waiting to drop his reformation on us.

He's going to need to change sometime and I hope the writers do it in a worthy way. I really hope they at least attempt to explain all of the stuff he's done recently too. Otherwise I'll feel cheated, kinda like staying on the journey with him was all for nothing.

Floyd Dell
Old 02-28-2004, 02:06 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by welcometomyworld:
<STRONG>
He's going to need to change sometime and I hope the writers do it in a worthy way. I really hope they at least attempt to explain all of the stuff he's done recently too. Otherwise I'll feel cheated, kinda like staying on the journey with him was all for nothing.</STRONG>
I completely agree. I hope that the writers try to explain his actions also because without an explanation, how can we root for him? I have watched shows in the past that would have main characters do questionable things and then they would never go back and redeem the characters. No explanations. No anything. Like the viewers are just supposed to forget about it. I really hope OTH does not go that route with Lucus because Lucus really does have the potential to be a wonderful character.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread