Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2010, 09:34 AM
Elite Fan

[Episode Discussion] OTH 8x05 - "Nobody Taught Us To Quit" & Lux 2x05 - "Music Faced" - Coast to Coast Event

Nobody Taught Us To Quit

Original Air Date:October 12, 2010
Episode: 8.05

Official Episode Description

EPISODE DIRECTED BY JAMES LAFFERTY - As Clay (Robert Buckley) is discharged from the hospital, Nathan (James Lafferty) contemplates walking away from the NBA. Meanwhile, Brooke (Sophia Bush) and Victoria (guest star Daphne Zuniga) disagree on how to handle the company's financial problems, and Chase (guest star Stephen Coletti) discovers a secret about Alex (guest star Jana Kramer). Bethany Joy Galeotti, Shantel VanSanten and Jackson Brundage also star. The episode was written by Mark Schwahn, and directed by James Lafferty (#805).

Music Faced

Original Air Date:October 12, 2010
Episode: 2.05

Official Episode Description

"ONE TREE HILL" PAYS A VISIT TO "LIFE UNEXPECTED" / MUSICAL PERFORMANCES BY GRAMMY AWARD-WINNER SARAH MCLACHLAN, BEN LEE, RAIN PERRY AND "ONE TREE HILL'S" BETHANY JOY GALEOTTI AND KATE VOEGELE - This crossover episode of "Life Unexpected" brings "One Tree Hill" characters Haley (Bethany Joy Galeotti) and Mia (Kate Voegele) to a music festival, sponsored by a Portland radio station and hosted by Ryan (Kerr Smith). At the concert, Haley and Cate (Shiri Appleby) meet and discover that they have incredibly similar pasts. It turns out that both women were somewhat nerdy, overachieving teenagers who got pregnant in high school by athletes named Nate (or Nathan). And when a secret of Cate's gets outed, Cate turns to Haley for advice. Additionally, in the episode, Grammy-Award winner Sarah McLachlan performs her new single "Forgiveness." Additional musical performances include "One Tree Hill" series star Galeotti and recurring guest star Voegele, along with Ben Lee and Rain Perry (singer/songwriter of the "Life Unexpected" theme song). Jerry Levine directed the episode written by Deidre Shaw (#205).

Episode Clips from 2.05:

Sneak Peek One/Official Episode Promo

Sneak Peek Two Episode Clip, Kate and Britt Remind People To Tune In

Episode Stills from 2.05:

CWTV Life Unexpected Photos: Image One, CWTV Life Unexpected Photos: Image Two, CWTV Life Unexpected: Image Three, CWTV Life Unexpected: Image Four, CWTV Life Unexpected Photos: Image Five, CWTV Life Unexpected Photos: Image Six, CWTV Life Unexpected Photos: Image Seven, CWTV Life Unexpected Photos: Image Eight, CWTV Life Unexpected Photos: Image Nine, CWTV Life Unexpected Photos: Image Ten, CWTV Life Unexpected Photos: Image Eleven, Additional Image: Image Twelve, Additional Image: Image Thirteen

Source: CWTV Life Unexpected Photos Images Seven - Twenty Four: Music Faced

*Credit and thanks to everyone who uploaded the clips to youtube or hosted stills, etc.
*Apologies in advance if any promo or episode still has been omitted.
*All episode stills, as well as all clips following the official one, have been linked to avoid creating any potential spoiler conflict. Please follow the link(s) at your own discretion.

Rules:

- Please respect others' opinions and remember not everyone will like or dislike the same things about the episode.

- Please do not quote a previous post with the intent to argue or insult.

- Please no bashing of producers, writers, directors, actors, fanbases or other posters. Please treat others respectfully.

- Please remember that no icons, fanart, etc., are permissible using episode stills until after the episode airs.

- Bethany Joy
shoots up a flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Dedicated Fan

Looking forward to maybe some "****ty Pool Table Sex" from Nathan and Haley!!!!and of course Haley in her crossover with LUX!
weens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Really, Matthew Ryan? Really? I am disappointed.
rearview mirror — it’s in the past, it’s behind her. He’s still running.
He’s in the same running outfit he wore in the pilot.”
fisher & sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Dedicated Fan

that intro was the weakest thing ever.

good parts with naley and baley.. but damn you brooke and mia for walking in on haley and nathan's make out session !
cyke93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Elite Fan

Best scene on the night, NH by the pool table, was quickly followed by the worst scene of the night...Freaking brooke and Mia interrupting them. Just....both of you go whine somewhere else, let Haley have some peace for gods sake!

Other than thaaaat...haven't seen the whole ep yet, but from what I saw it was kind of the same as last week. Brooke is upset, Julian's randomly filming people, Nathan telling Clay how amazing he is...
Old 10-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Dedicated Fan

Yeah seriously, Nathan stop praising Clay. it's annoying. the guy hasn't done that much for you. you were going to get rich no matter what, he was just the guy who you hired to take care of that.

on a side note, loved nathan making fun of julian's purse lol.
cyke93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Elite Fan

The pros of this episode:

Sophia looked gorgeous tonight, of course. I loved her look in the last few scenes. I liked her scene with Haley, for the most part. Liked Brooke's last scene with Victoria. That's pretty much it.

Cons:
Quinn and Clay scenes! ZZzzzZZZZzzzzZZZzzz

This episode, of course, was way too dramatic and cheesy. Absolutely awful for the most part. Looks like everyone is giving up their outside passions and just concentrating on love. ZzzzZZZZzzzz. haven't they already done this with Nathan and Haley a million times? Then they ruined Peyton's backbone and had her do that with Lucas? Now Brooke is doing it too. Wow.

Now we should just hook up Mouth/Millie, Chase/Alex, etc. etc. and everyone can just sit around and talk about how in LOOOOOVE they are and how nothing else in life is worthwhile! ZzzzZZZZzzzz

Ugh, I have nothing against love and being with people, but I really hate how one-sided this show is, how tame and preachy it is now. I miss the fun that they used to have, the personalities the characters used to have (Brooke? Nathan?), the importance of friendship. All of these things no longer exist on this show and haven't in a while. All we get now are scenes about twu wuv. While I am okay with Nathan and Haley doing the family thing (although I still find it highly unrealistic and silly how easy they had it as married and pregnant teenagers), I'm tired of the same type of storyline all the time.

All of the girls look exactly alike nowadays (I especially noticed it today), they used to have such distinct personalities and looks. The men are completely dull. Blah. I will stop ranting now.
barbeegurl00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

Sophia is so freaking gorgeous She is so beautiful

Ok now on to the episode

Loved the NH scenes, they are so unbelivably in-love and amazing together Loved the BH scenes, loved the BN scene I really wish every episode we could get atleast one scene with all three of the core characters together in it

Loved the Julian and Nathan scenes, these two are so cute together, Nathan teasing him reminds me of brothers It was the same feeling I got when they went camping together, they have a cute little bond and I hope we get to see more of that. I was only interested in the Nathan and Clay scenes because I love Nathan, but other then that Clay can get lost.

Jamie bothers me. I hate the way they have him preaching, when he brought up that Nathan avoids things, I actually wanted to backhand him and tell him to respect his elders. He is just an annoying character that I honestly could do without. It's ashame that he is NH's kid because I LOVE NH so much, but that kids just bugs!!
Old 10-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
This episode, of course, was way too dramatic and cheesy. Absolutely awful for the most part. Looks like everyone is giving up their outside passions and just concentrating on love. ZzzzZZZZzzzz. haven't they already done this with Nathan and Haley a million times? Then they ruined Peyton's backbone and had her do that with Lucas? Now Brooke is doing it too. Wow.
Well said.

Quote:
HALEY: Do you remember when you started all this? I remember the day because we were in our apartment and you were sad about a boy, and I told you… focus on your talent. Everything else will work itself out. And it did. Well, now I’m here to tell you the opposite. Don’t focus on your work. Focus on your life. You’re young, you’re beautiful, you’re in love. You have a wedding to plan. You have an amazing man who loves you. Focus on that, on Julian. Everything else will work itself out.
BROOKE: Bros over clothes?
HALEY: Bros over clothes.
What a lovely speech. Let me start with this line:

I remember the day because we were in our apartment and you were sad about a boy, and I told you… focus on your talent. Everything else will work itself out.

Brooke got out of the hole she'd sunk into by focusing on herself and her work. Making herself happy, in other ways, outside of men, by accomplishing the goals she set in front of her. By doing this HERSELF and proving to HERSELF that she could do it; therefore making her a happier and more confident woman. This is the reason I fell in love with her.

And it did. Well, now I’m here to tell you the opposite. Don’t focus on your work. Focus on your life. You’re young, you’re beautiful, you’re in love. You have a wedding to plan. You have an amazing man who loves you. Focus on that, on Julian. Everything else will work itself out.

Thank you for your wise words, Haley. I guess what you're trying and failing to say is that since Brooke took your advice last time and everything worked out for her, that she should do it again... By taking advice that completely contradicts the ways Brooke Davis found happiness in her own way; the ways she found herself. By contradicting Brooke's character. How many times do I have to hear what an amazing guy Julian is? Peyton was never given the same speech every damn episode in regards to Luke. Neither was Haley in regards to Nate. Stop talking about it. Actions speak louder than words. I don't have to hear how in love Nathan is with Haley from a different person every episode because I CAN SEE IT. "Don't focus on your work. Focus on Julian." WTF?! This is just... A disaster. I've always had this little theory that Mark is a big believer in having the woman breed while her man sits at the top of her priority list because that's how things are supposed to be and that's how everything works out. How can anyone look at this conversation and think otherwise? It's disgusting. Brooke was the only reason I thought otherwise of Mark as a writer and that's completely gone now.

What does One Tree Hill preech to women? Get married, have kids from an amazing, perfect, flawelss, strong, caring man. Stay classy, Mark.
kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:44 PM
Master Fan

Steph you are my hero Everything you said is perfect. OTH disgusts me.

was holy ground
LoVeJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:52 AM
Elite Fan

Love that Haley's Dear Lucas VO continues...I hope we get that in every ep for the final season.

Quote:
(although I still find it highly unrealistic and silly how easy they had it as married and pregnant teenagers),
The thing is NH were shown to have issues and it hasn't been easy imo (S2 the tour, in S4 Daunte, pointshaving, Haley having to take extra shifts, Haley having to forego the college of her dreams and I know it's not HS but in S5 crazy nannies, Nathan's accident, Jamie's kidnapping, S6 Nathan's comeback, S7 Haley's depression, mother dying, Renee scandal)...so I don't see how all that equals easy...NH have had to fight to be the strong & communicative couple they are today, maybe by television standards it wasn't 100% realistic (e.g the S3 wedding I have no idea how they afforded that, but I guess it can be fanwanked that Dan/Deb helped or Haley's parents sent her money), but I don't see it as easy either and the thing is Haley did have a support system for instance in college we know Lucas helped out, ...which is why I believe that they've learnt that family is important...esp. after Nate's accident and how he went into a dark place...but this time he has learnt from that and will focus on his family, while still hopefully exploring other avenues he can work in.

I have to agree though that the show really dropped the ball in showing a proper teen pregnany/marriage...they went for contrived storylines more often then not and barely even focused on what's its like to be a teenager who's married and pregnant, but that's because the writers didn't seem to give two hoots about Haley back in S4. Thankfully now they seem to, which is better late then never. I have been really happy with the screen time and focus Haley has gotten since S7...bout bloody time. Is it perfect? of course not, this is still OTH, but certainly my dear Haley is getting more then she ever did in earlier seasons in terms of being her own person and not just Nathan's significant other and Jamie's mother and resident Tree Hill prop. Now she's Haley James Scott, wife, mother, sister, friend, career woman and individual.

With Brooke I have to agree with this:

Quote:
Making herself happy, in other ways, outside of men, by accomplishing the goals she set in front of her. By doing this HERSELF and proving to HERSELF that she could do it; therefore making her a happier and more confident woman

I think family and health is the most important thing, that being said I do agree that the way they have portrayed Brooke since S7 has been well (erased what she had learnt in S5/S6)...look with Haley I get it, the way NH have been developed and with all their dreams ect it always comes down to family (Nathan not wanting to be Dan to name one example). So I saw the story they were telling with Haley was one thing & representing one thing (like she said to Whitey in S4, she was willing to make sacrifices...and Nathan too) & with Brooke I thought they would show that she would find happiness without needing the baby/boy. With Peyton...well I don't know with her, they made her even less then Haley/Brooke...we don't even know if she has a career anymore because she doesn't seem to check in on RBR (lol...but I guess that's on the writers, for all we know in offscreenville she became a chief)...so again I liked how the girls were representing different aspects of women, kinda like the issue of sex...Haley wanted to wait until marriage, Peyton only slept with guys she loved and Brooke didn't need that...but that's fine because that's the point, there's no right or wrong just different POVs/life experiences.

I think the show is going over board with the Nathan praising Clay...Nate made it to the NBA/Bobcats because of his own sweat and tears and sacrifices and with Haley's support and others over the years (Lucas, Whitey ect)...Clay does not deserve all the praise imo...tone it down show.

Once again Haley was great and getting even more prettier if that's even possible, NH were flirty and cute and I'm surpised the show showed a pregnant women flirting and NH *gasp* actually touching, they've come along way from S4, LOL, the HQ scene was short but sweet and funny, BH were fine, HJ scene was love mother/son and Haley watching NJ .

Can I get a hell yeah for the Haley/Clay hug? Rob/Joy have great friendship chem, the show needs to have them in more scenes together.

Last edited by diamond gothic; 10-13-2010 at 01:03 AM
diamond gothic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:25 AM
Dedicated Fan

Best episode of the season. It wasn't great, but much better then the previous ones in my opionon.

First of all, the theme song...WTF?! That sucked so bad it's not even funny! Or maybe it was a little funny since I laughed all through it, but they should go back to the original, or at least cover it in a decent way.

Haley didn't annoy me as much as she usually does, so that's always good. Loved that she was there for Brooke. Did NOT love the whole "Dear Lucas" thing again. I'm beginning to think she doesn't send those letters to him and just writes it down for herself. Either way it's annoying as hell.
Nathan was okay this episode as well, and didn't look all too bored like he usually does. I know NH fans are probably mad that they got interupted by Mia and Brooke but I can't say I was sad about that. I see no sexual chemistry between James and Joy so I kind of cringe every time they try to be romantic, so I'm glad that scene got cut short. Plus, Haley walked in on BJu in 8x01 and ruined that moment, it's only fair Brooke gets to do it back.

Clay & Quinn weren't terrible this episode, apart that is. I liked Clay's scenes with Nathan and Quinn's with Haley, but as soon as those two are in a room together....I don't know what the hell happens. They have zero chemistry together and always end up being WAY to cheesy. Yes, you're happy you're both fine but my god, cut down on the cheese will you? And I have a feeling that with them back in the house we'll get 2987926 flashbacks of the moment they got shot and we'll hear Quinn mope around about how much she can't forget about what happened and blah blah blah.

Mouth was okay this week, probably because Millie wasn't around. He made me cringe and roll my eyes a little though when Julian was filming him and he came out in a suit and acted like an idiot. You're not that guy Mouth! And you never will be! Good for him though that his podcast is doing better.

Alex/Chase/Mia....yada yada yada. Nothing exiting what so ever. And my oh my, Chase is really sensitive isn't he? Dude gets mad because his girlfriend of what, one day, didn't tell him about the movie? Get over it! Breaking up over that is just hilarious.

Now to the best part of the show in my opinion, Brooke, Julian & Victoria...

Yes, Victoria was a total bitch and I kind of hate her right now. But lady is still awesome. I hope Brooke threatening her to not be invited to the wedding will make the old lady think twice about what she said to her daughter.

Interested to see what they'll do with Julian's documentary. And I LOVE how he is when he's with Brooke. Their relationship is easily the best one on the show imo. And I'm glad we're seeing them talk about the wedding and all that, since usually in Tree Hill, it just happens over a night. And Brooke will totally end up getting to wear the dress she'd designed, and it'll look amazing on her I'm sure.

Brooke Brooke Brooke...why so awesome? Poor girl lost everything she worked for since high school and seems to be doing pretty okay with it. The conversation between Brooke and Victoria where Brooke told her exactly how she felt and what she thought gave me chills. Sophia does scenes like that like nobodys business. And holy crap! Sophia looked AMAZING this episode! Can't wait to see what comes next for Brooke. I can see her starting a new line but I'm hoping she'll focus a little on herself and Julian and their wedding first.

And I'm not even gonna bother watching Life Unexpected. Mia and Haley didn't annoy the crap out of me this episode, but I still have no desire to watch them sing on another show. Plus, Life Unexpeced is a terrible show so...

Last edited by DirtySexyMoney; 10-13-2010 at 01:31 AM
DirtySexyMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:09 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by funsponge (View Post)
Well said.

What a lovely speech. Let me start with this line:

I remember the day because we were in our apartment and you were sad about a boy, and I told you… focus on your talent. Everything else will work itself out.

Brooke got out of the hole she'd sunk into by focusing on herself and her work. Making herself happy, in other ways, outside of men, by accomplishing the goals she set in front of her. By doing this HERSELF and proving to HERSELF that she could do it; therefore making her a happier and more confident woman. This is the reason I fell in love with her.

And it did. Well, now I’m here to tell you the opposite. Don’t focus on your work. Focus on your life. You’re young, you’re beautiful, you’re in love. You have a wedding to plan. You have an amazing man who loves you. Focus on that, on Julian. Everything else will work itself out.

Thank you for your wise words, Haley. I guess what you're trying and failing to say is that since Brooke took your advice last time and everything worked out for her, that she should do it again... By taking advice that completely contradicts the ways Brooke Davis found happiness in her own way; the ways she found herself. By contradicting Brooke's character. How many times do I have to hear what an amazing guy Julian is? Peyton was never given the same speech every damn episode in regards to Luke. Neither was Haley in regards to Nate. Stop talking about it. Actions speak louder than words. I don't have to hear how in love Nathan is with Haley from a different person every episode because I CAN SEE IT. "Don't focus on your work. Focus on Julian." WTF?! This is just... A disaster. I've always had this little theory that Mark is a big believer in having the woman breed while her man sits at the top of her priority list because that's how things are supposed to be and that's how everything works out. How can anyone look at this conversation and think otherwise? It's disgusting. Brooke was the only reason I thought otherwise of Mark as a writer and that's completely gone now.

What does One Tree Hill preech to women? Get married, have kids from an amazing, perfect, flawelss, strong, caring man. Stay classy, Mark.
I agree with every single word of this post. I cannot believe Brooke just lost every thing she's ever worked for since high school and Haley's advice is to focus on Julian. I get that that approach worked for NH in most situations, but I always thought Brooke didn't need that sort of validation, she found it within herself, within work that made her proud... But, what was I expecting? They did strip away everything that made Brooke who she was in a matter of two seasons, so I can't say I'm necessarily surprised, just immensely disappointed.
serendipity or fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:09 AM
Dedicated Fan

Who is/was actually going through a depression story line.....Brooke or Haley? Brooke needs some prozac asap!! Can't stand that look anymore. She has been harboring the same look and expression and monotone voice all season. She made the choice to be all Saintly and give ALL her money to investors who took a gamble to begin with. She still has the ability to design clothing, that won't put her back in a wheel chair. But yet she sits and sulks. People are right, Victorias always been a bitch and yelling at her, nothing new there. And I can't say I blame Victoria for her reaction. Regardless of what she did, she is now rotting away in jail and her daughter sells the company, appropriate reaction. I am really having a hard time sympathizing with Brooke and have had one since mid season 5 when her character took a severe nose dive, IMO! Get your balls back B.Davis!!

Nathan on the other hand who has more of a reason to be upset because he can never and will never play bb again and Haley who has a clinical case of depression appear to at least smile and have some other kind of emotions going on. Haley's husband lost his career, one that she watched and supported him with and yet she still managed to find some laughter or a smile in all this mess. So Brooke can't get married at the Biltmore!! Poor poor poor pitiful Brooke. They have destroyed this character big time.
weens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:19 AM
Elite Fan

I found it hilarious that they cut from Haley talking to someone with a depression to Brooke talking about how she started her company so she never had to be poor again. Wow, I'm so sorry you don't get to live a life of luxury that hardly anyone your age gets...

And Brooke has NEVER been able to handle life without a guy... I've never understood why people see her as so independent? Even in S3 after haleys speech then she was still focusing on Lucas or crying about Lucas or trying to get him back...and whenever she doesn't have a guy she's miserable about it. How is that independence?
Reply   Post New Thread