Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2010, 12:45 PM
Elite Fan

[Episode Discussion] 7x17 - "At the Bottom of Everything"

At the Bottom of Everything

Original Air Date:February 15, 2010
Episode: 7.17

Official Episode Description

BETHANY JOY GALEOTTI DIRECTS THE EPISODE — Nathan (James Lafferty..) tries to help Haley (Bethany Joy Galeotti) and Jamie (Jackson Brundage) confront Lydia’s (guest star Bess Armstrong) seemingly hopeless situation, while Brooke (Sophia Bush) and Julian (Austin Nichols) navigate their volatile relationship in the midst of a hectic movie shoot. Meanwhile, Clay (Robert Buckley) and Quinn (Shantel VanSanten) spend some time apart, and Miranda (guest star India De Beaufort) tries to prove to Grubbs (guest star Michael Grubbs of the band Wakey!Wakey!) that she’s the right person to produce his album. Lee Norris, Lisa Goldstein and Jana Kramer also star.

Episode Clips from 7.17:

Sneak Peek One/Official Episode Promo

Sneak Peek Two on CW's OTH Homepage, Sneak Peek Three

Episode Stills from 7.17:

Picture One, Picture Two, Picture Three, Picture Four, Picture Five, Picture Six, Picture Seven, Picture Eight, Picture Nine, Picture Ten, Picture Eleven, Picture Twelve

*Credit and thanks to everyone who uploaded the clips to youtube or hosted stills, etc.
*Apologies in advance if any promo or episode still has been omitted.
*All episode stills, as well as all clips following the official one, have been linked to avoid creating any potential spoiler conflict. Please follow the link(s) at your own discretion.

Rules:

- Please respect others' opinions and remember not everyone will like or dislike the same things about the episode.

- Please do not quote a previous post with the intent to argue or insult.

- Please no bashing of producers, writers, directors, actors, fanbases or other posters. Please treat others respectfully.

- Please remember that no icons, fanart, etc., are permissible using episode stills until after the episode airs.

- Bethany Joy
shoots up a flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

Oh my god Sara is back

honey, you are so f i ne, you blow my mind | Chris Evans - 8 years celebration & 100k
boston | los angeles | ♡ Candice |icon by summer falls
holding my heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Obsessed Fan

Dude! Lydia! That is so not cool. You don't tell a seven year old kid you won't be there for christmas because you'll be dead by then! I'm gonna give you a pass because, well .......... you're dying ............ but, seriously. Not cool.

Be kind. You never know what sorrows and struggles people are hiding behind a brave smile.
chocchipcooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Elite Fan

This show is ridiculous. This Alex/Julian/Brooke thing is so over-the-top and while I'm fairly positive this is a room switch situation with Alexander in the room with Alex, the whole thing is tiresome.

This show had a golden opportunity when Peyton and Lucas left to weave Julian/Brooke and Nathan/Haley in each others lives. They should have been established as the core four. How much would I give to see Haley try to talk sense into Julian or more BH scenes! It's ridiculous that the "Core Four" of the show barely interacted.

And how the hell does Mouth, Millie, Owen, Grubs, Miranda, Alexander, Alex and weird lead actor have more screentime than Brooke and Nathan?! In what universe is this acceptable?!?!?!?!

Ugh.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Okay, so I really loved that episode. Might be my favorite episode of the season. The music was FANTASTIC tonight! Next week looks so emotional.
✗ ICON
April7739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:07 PM
Fan Forum Star

I have to give the show props for the obvious Alex/Julian fake out. Brooke just seeing Alex in bed and flipping out would have been contrived, because Julian isn't there. BUT, the shower running, making her think Julian is in there, makes her conclusion more understandable. But we, the audience know from earlier in the season during a Millie/Alex scene, that Alex likes to leave the shower running while she sleeps! We also know that her own room is too noisy to sleep, duh. To sum up, the shower was a really nice touch of using continuity to make a contrived scene/plot a little more bearable for me. Also, props to Joy for that direction/editing there, it was really awesome, definitely my favorite piece of directing in the episode. The whole coda was really great, though I thought the angel thing at the end was too cheesy. Having to sit through Jamie dealing with a grandparent dying is a rehash of his endless whining about Grandpa Dan.

Also, the severe lack of Quinn and Clay made this episode more enjoyable than normal. Or, it would have, if the rest of the episode was any good.

Last edited by same old story; 02-15-2010 at 07:13 PM
same old story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
How much would I give to see Haley try to talk sense into Julian or more BH scenes!
I think Haley's done enough propping to last a lifetime personally. It's about time she got her own focus and spends time with her family instead of getting involved in Brooke's love life, imo. Plus she gave Brooke advice in this ep from what I'm reading.

This episode sounds so amazing for NHJ/Lydia
Old 02-15-2010, 07:14 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by same old story (View Post)
I have to give the show props for the obvious Alex/Julian fake out. Brooke just seeing Alex in bed and flipping out would have been contrived, because Julian isn't there. BUT, the shower running, making her think Julian is in there, makes her conclusion more understandable. But we, the audience know from earlier in the season during a Millie/Alex scene, that Alex likes to leave the shower running while she sleeps! We also know that her own room is too noisy to sleep, duh. To sum up, the shower was a really nice touch of using continuity to make a contrived scene/plot a little more bearable for me. Also, props to Joy for that direction/editing there, it was really awesome, definitely my favorite piece of directing in the episode. The whole coda was really great, though I thought the angel thing at the end was too cheesy. Having to sit through Jamie dealing with a grandparent dying is a rehash of his endless whining about Grandpa Dan.

Also, the severe lack of Quinn and Clay made this episode more enjoyable than normal. Or, it would have, if the rest of the episode was any good.
The technical merits made by Joy are probably going to be the only thing I will enjoy about this episode.

The ep just started for me and I know it's a major FAIL.
It’s the grandest gesture anyone has ever made for me in my life.â€
Beautiful Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
This show had a golden opportunity when Peyton and Lucas left to weave Julian/Brooke and Nathan/Haley in each others lives. They should have been established as the core four. How much would I give to see Haley try to talk sense into Julian or more BH scenes! It's ridiculous that the "Core Four" of the show barely interacted.
I want the show to be more integrated more than anyone, but it's not like it was much better in S5 or S6. The show has been super separate since they graduated.

Quote:
I think Haley's done enough propping to last a lifetime personally. It's about time she got her own focus and spends time with her family instead of getting involved in Brooke's love life, imo.
All Haley has gotten to do for the past three seasons is spend time with her family. She has like, one scene with Brooke every few episodes where she gives her some advice. It's not like Brooke's love life has been her entire storyline, like LLP's was for her in S5.

Last edited by same old story; 02-15-2010 at 07:29 PM
same old story is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHScott (View Post)
I think Haley's done enough propping to last a lifetime personally. It's about time she got her own focus and spends time with her family instead of getting involved in Brooke's love life, imo. Plus she gave Brooke advice in this ep from what I'm reading.

This episode sounds so amazing for NHJ/Lydia
Or vice versa. A Brooke trying to cheer up Haley. Whatever - I like both Haley and Brooke so come on - I was just trying to say they should have been made a core four and see them lean on one another instead of the parade of absolutely worthless characters we have seen - I don't see how this got turned into a Brooke vs. Haley - I want to see equal leaning for pete's sake. Gosh, I should have know I couldn't back to this board.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Part-Time Fan

loved the episode
Joy did a beautiful job with the directing
Joy just owned this episode
Cooper&Charlotte ♥
OneTreeHillSweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Obsessed Fan

Another beautiful directorial effort by Bethany Joy Galeotti! She captures the feel and spirit of this show so well. And in her role as Haley, she was heartbreakingly fragile in her grief and grasping for hope.

Gah! My heart, my heart! The Lydia/Nathan scene was just so poignant and beyond sweet. Nathan: "You're the person responsible for raising the woman who changed my whole world. I'll never forget that. Thank you for saying yes." I just, wanted to weep.

OWEN!! How I have missed you. Your hair is a little, big or something, but you're still so pretty. I wish you could stay around and just be eye candy. But I also like that you're just a nice sincere guy.

The Grubbs/Miranda dynamic is kinda cute, at least in limited doses.

Julian, I just don't get you bud. I know the Alex thing is a mislead, but seriously, I'm so over Brooke being unhappy and crying. Get them back together and happy.

Be kind. You never know what sorrows and struggles people are hiding behind a brave smile.
chocchipcooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Katie- (View Post)
And how the hell does Mouth, Millie, Owen, Grubs, Miranda, Alexander, Alex and weird lead actor have more screentime than Brooke and Nathan?! In what universe is this acceptable?!?!?!?!

Ugh.
That's exactly how I feel. All the scenes involving Nathan and Haley and Haley's mother were really touching, but the rest of the episode that involved characters that I don't care about was a complete waste, and some of the scenes, like seeing Miranda in her underwear, were beyond awful.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocchipcooky (View Post)

Gah! My heart, my heart! The Lydia/Nathan scene was just so poignant and beyond sweet. Nathan: "You're the person responsible for raising the woman who changed my whole world. I'll never forget that. Thank you for saying yes." I just, wanted to weep.
Aw, that's so beautiful.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocchipcooky (View Post)
Dude! Lydia! That is so not cool. You don't tell a seven year old kid you won't be there for christmas because you'll be dead by then! I'm gonna give you a pass because, well .......... you're dying ............ but, seriously. Not cool.
Was she supposed to lie?

Personally, at 7 I would have rather been told than lied too. And I feel it might make it a little easier for him, her telling him instead of Haley or Nathan. Although I do agree with Haley, that she could have waited and told him together. But we don't know much of the conversation with Jamie past her saying she wouldn't be there. I felt it was a touching moment, a moment between the two of them. Probably one of Lydia's last moments with him and it was sweet and calm.

avi:Babss
Whit89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread