Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Elite Fan

I think there is a way to compliment the character and actor you like without putting everyone else down. That's why those articles are often turn offs I think. They often slam one character in order to praise another and then don't give a reason. If you want someone to take you seriously, I'm learning that it's best to give praise where praise is due or else you come off as incredibly biased. For example, Ryan may be my favorite character and I adored Ben's performance on The OC, but I can give the other actors props for the things they did well too and I can understand why someone else may like a different character more than Ryan if they don't relate as much to Ryan. Some of those articles seriously make me roll my eyes.

ETA: This had to be said. I think Ben McKenzie is one of the most underrated actors today. Anyone who watches him in things like Southland and Junebug can appreciate what I mean - he has the ability to play characters that are completely different, and he can act through his eyes and body language like very few other actors I've seen, especially now. He puts so much thought into his characters - I think it's a shame his talent is sometimes overlooked and he's often unappreciated... or ridiculed for having been on The OC.
-The Holy Qur'an [13:16]

Last edited by ~Search4Truth~; 01-21-2012 at 11:10 PM
Old 01-22-2012, 04:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the new thread and the update posts on the previous page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOCFan (View Post)
Best Ever Teen Dramas: Friday Fiver - US TV Blog - Digital Spy

The OC is listed on best tv dramas ever. But I totally disagree that Ryan was outshined by Seth. I found their opinion on Ryan and Ben to be unfair.
Glad it made the list!
Old 01-23-2012, 01:22 AM
Graphics Team

Moderator of ...
Standard Avatars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanBabe (View Post)
I think there is a way to compliment the character and actor you like without putting everyone else down. That's why those articles are often turn offs I think. They often slam one character in order to praise another and then don't give a reason. If you want someone to take you seriously, I'm learning that it's best to give praise where praise is due or else you come off as incredibly biased. For example, Ryan may be my favorite character and I adored Ben's performance on The OC, but I can give the other actors props for the things they did well too and I can understand why someone else may like a different character more than Ryan if they don't relate as much to Ryan. Some of those articles seriously make me roll my eyes.

ETA: This had to be said. I think Ben McKenzie is one of the most underrated actors today. Anyone who watches him in things like Southland and Junebug can appreciate what I mean - he has the ability to play characters that are completely different, and he can act through his eyes and body language like very few other actors I've seen, especially now. He puts so much thought into his characters - I think it's a shame his talent is sometimes overlooked and he's often unappreciated... or ridiculed for having been on The OC.
i totally agree with you, but i bet there are still people out there who would disagree. our opinions are all just that opinions and therefore very subjective. it's just the way it is. and if i think someone is a bad actor i am going to say it and so are most other people i guess. but just because i cannot appreciate someone as an actor or a singer or whatever doesn't mean i have the right to bash them, especially when i have never even talked to them. so i kinda know what you mean.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Addicted Fan

I think with any artistic thing, there will always be a difference of opinion and at the end of the day no opinion is really right or wrong. Even the most distinguished actors have their critics. Ben's a great actor but I guess, getting the right distinction is harder then just being good. With any career, there's some form of politics involved and then luck comes into it and there's just all sorts of factors. Anyway, Ben seems to be on a good path and in fact the whole cast has their own thing happening. And at the end of the day, if they're happy about it, then that's it.

Quote:
but just because i cannot appreciate someone as an actor or a singer or whatever doesn't mean i have the right to bash them, especially when i have never even talked to them
yeah, i think too often the line between a character or the acting becomes blurred with the actor themselves, we don't really know what any of these people are like, yeah we can make assumptions and like them (or dislike them) on that basis but idk, it's not our place to constantly judge and criticise when we don't know the whole story...
Old 01-23-2012, 09:12 AM
Elite Fan

Well said, Soph and Tammy.

Aw, this scene on Southland made me smile. Especially when he asked, "I don't look mean or anything?" And I love that Officer Ben Sherman took an African American studies class in collge. The discussion he had with this little girl in the scene before about the book she was reading - it was just so adorable. As someone who is mixed, I love this side of his character!

Old 01-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
They often slam one character in order to praise another and then don't give a reason
Yeah, I mean you can love a character and explain why without bashing another character that you dislike. Some people focus on hate on the things they don't like, instead of love the character/ship that you do like. And well, no opinion is right or wrong after all. We just have to accept that all of us have different opinions. But you can disagree with someone or explain why you don't like a certain character/ship without being unfair or rude Some people are just plain rude and we just have to try and ignore them

Ben is probably very underrated, but that doesn't mean that people didn't liked him/Ryan. I just think people liked Seth/Adam more, I did as well. I haven't seen so much Ryan hate, so I think a lot of people liked him, but perhaps he wasn't their favorite or as popular as Seth. So he got less attention.

And if you don't care/dislike a character, you probably don't pay so much attention to everything that they say or do. You look more into the characters that you actually like, usually.

^ He looks really good in those gifs
Old 01-25-2012, 10:06 AM
Elite Fan

Ben's Jimmy Kimmel interview from last night! I love when he calls his Southland character a ****. It's so true! And his story about getting pulled over by a cop after fighting with his girlfriend is pretty funny. I wonder who his girlfriend was. Ben McKenzie, go get it boy! He's so private though that we'll probably never know much at all about his personal life. His hair has gotten darker with age, and I love it. This color hair is great for his deep blue eye color. I think he's a tad bit too thin, but he still looks great.

Part 1:

Part 2:

And here are pics:

Quote:
I just think people liked Seth/Adam more, I did as well.
I think this is a very generalized statement. Some people liked Seth/Adam more, but I don't think it can be determined whether or not the general public liked Seth/Adam more. In real life, most of the people I know who were OC fans were actually more so Ryan fans so it's all relative and I really think it depends on ones individual experiences. I'm also guessing in some places Ryan is more popular than Seth and in other places (countries or cities), Seth was more popular overall than Ryan. I definitely think that Seth/Adam was probably more popular with pop teen culture, but I don't think it would be fair to say that overall people liked him than Ben/Ryan. That's all I mean. Online fans really don't speak for the majority in my opinion so I don't know that we can truly even make the comparison as to who was most popular. I think a lot of the reason Ben didn't seem that popular is because out of the main four OC actors, he did the least to put himself out there. He declined opportunities that would have made him more famous and didn't care to be on covers of a lot of magazines it seems, and he was reserved in his approach to fame.

At the moment Ben seems pretty popular and he's become very well respected. He seems to be the most popular Southland character and he's well respected by critics and fans, and since Southland is an Emmy award winning, critically acclaimed show, I think that holds a lot of weight. Also, people like Tom Hanks and Kirk Douglas have praised Ben for his acting.

Last edited by ~Search4Truth~; 01-25-2012 at 10:13 AM
Old 01-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Addicted Fan

I think Seth/Adam had a lot of the media's interest behind, Seth Cohen was quite influential in terms of fashion (basically the one to make geek chic an actually thing), music and also making that whole geeky-neurotic-witty-banter type of character more...mainstream. It's hard to explain because while there probably had been some geeky characters in the past, Seth was a bit more unique so he had more of a bandwagon effect with the media.

Ben looks great in the pics, I'll check out the interview later.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Elite Fan

Okay, hope you like the interview. I always enjoy Ben's interviews because it's fascinating how different he is from his characters in real life. But not in a bad way. I think Ben McKenzie is adorable, articulate, and self-deprecating.

Yeah, I like his outfit and his hair. Those were actually pics of him signing autographs after the interview I'm pretty sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~tammy~ (View Post)
I think Seth/Adam had a lot of the media's interest behind, Seth Cohen was quite influential in terms of fashion (basically the one to make geek chic an actually thing), music and also making that whole geeky-neurotic-witty-banter type of character more...mainstream. It's hard to explain because while there probably had been some geeky characters in the past, Seth was a bit more unique so he had more of a bandwagon effect with the media.
Agreed!
Old 01-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Addicted Fan

i saw it, it was a very nice interview - he's a lot more lighthearted in the interview than on-screen as his characters! the story about the speeding was very funny, I'm guessing he didn't want to be recognised for the OC because Ryan of course got caught stealing a car Also when the police officer asked him "Are you who I think you are?", I think Ben should have totally answered "I'm whoever you want me to be" lol
Old 01-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~tammy~ (View Post)
Also when the police officer asked him "Are you who I think you are?", I think Ben should have totally answered "I'm whoever you want me to be" lol[/s]
that would of been awesome.

Rest now, Bowie
Old 01-25-2012, 10:55 PM
Elite Fan

Also, here is a video of Ben McKenzie yesterday with fans. He's so sweet! I love how he answered their random questions. So now we know he's a good tipper because he was once a waiter.

Ben McKenzie greets fans in Hollywood! - YouTube

Also, I have a feeling that for all of you who don't watch Southland - I think if you watched the 4th season, you would like it. Tammy, I'm also talking to you. I saw some spoilers too. But anyway, Ben McKenzie even mentinoed it. His character really is a "****" this season, but he's also vulnerable and anyone who knows his back story knows that he has no family to turn to (his dad is a rich douchebag attorney who abandoned him and was involved with drug dealers that attacked Ben Sherman when he was a young boy and badly injured him while hurting his mom). And his mom basically betrayed him last season. All he has left is his sisters and they're not close. He can't relate to them. And every girl he ever tried to have a relationship with hurt him. So that means right now, his job is his life and outside of the job, he's depressed and doesn't know how to handle life. He's a rich guy, but he's lonely and depressed hiding under the facade of being a cocky, flirtacious, tough guy. Also, his job is very stressful and he sees a lot of bad things on the job. Plus, in the last episode he made a mistake that makes him infamous on the police force. So his way of dealing with things is to turn to sex (and alcohol I think) and I heard this other audio interview with Ben where he mentioned how Officer Sherman is going to downward spiral and by the end of the season, he's going to completely fall apart. I just think that will be very entertaining to watch. Plus, Ben Sherman's personality is nothing like Ryan's and it's just awesome to see Ben McKenzie in this role.

Quote:
i saw it, it was a very nice interview - he's a lot more lighthearted in the interview than on-screen as his characters! the story about the speeding was very funny, I'm guessing he didn't want to be recognised for the OC because Ryan of course got caught stealing a car Also when the police officer asked him "Are you who I think you are?", I think Ben should have totally answered "I'm whoever you want me to be" lol
Yeah, Ben McKenzie's personality is very different from his characters. That's for sure. I love it. It just goes to show how awesome an actor he is. Plus, I've noticed that all his characters are very different. Ryan Atwood is much different from Ben Sherman who is much different from Johnny (from Junebug) and his theater roles are very different too. Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the interview! And yeah, it would have been awesome if he said, "Whoever you want me to be," (and given Ben's quick wit, he probably even thought about it - who knows), but I also don't think the police officer would have been so receptive to that answer and probably would have written him a ticket.

Last edited by ~Search4Truth~; 01-25-2012 at 11:53 PM
Old 01-26-2012, 08:33 AM
Addicted Fan

I'm sure I might like it but I've got various other shows to keep up or catch up with and it's a lot easier for me to watch something if it's actually on TV so I'll have to leave Sothland for later.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Absolute Fan

Oh my gosh Theresa, poor Ben Sherman!
Sounds like he needs you

"You spit on me!" "You were choking me - I didn't mean to spit on you, darling." - Rachel Bilson and Ben McKenzie
Old 01-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanBabe (View Post)
Well said, Soph and Tammy.

Aw, this scene on Southland made me smile. Especially when he asked, "I don't look mean or anything?" And I love that Officer Ben Sherman took an African American studies class in collge. The discussion he had with this little girl in the scene before about the book she was reading - it was just so adorable. As someone who is mixed, I love this side of his character!

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ly...ao1_r1_250.gif http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ly...ao2_r1_250.gif
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ly...ao6_r1_250.gif http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ly...ao8_r2_250.gif
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ly...ao9_r2_250.gif http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ly...ao7_r1_250.gif
Aww this is sweet.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread