Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2014, 11:17 PM
New Fan

I was such a fan of them and

I can't believe it is only #492 I'm trying to remember what number I came to the board on no luck lol
I truly think show writers killing off main characters like this have issues.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:26 AM
Fan Forum Legend

It's called shock value.

They wanted to shake things up on the show.

It pretty much backfired.

I truly believe The OC would have had a few more seasons if she wasn't killed off.

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Old 06-12-2014, 10:07 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Bee (View Post)
It's called shock value.

They wanted to shake things up on the show.

It pretty much backfired.

I truly believe The OC would have had a few more seasons if she wasn't killed off.
Yep and they don't value the fans, I'm not talking fair weathered but the hardcore who loved the show, who followed the music, etc and do on. I think it may have had a s5. I mean the ratings were bad nothing could have helped. Did anyone read what the writer said? He was such a young guy who didn't have much direction. It was clear. If they did not want Marissa drama, they could have rewritten it, written more of her personality and less of drama.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:49 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly♥Coffee (View Post)
Yep and they don't value the fans, I'm not talking fair weathered but the hardcore who loved the show, who followed the music, etc and do on. I think it may have had a s5. I mean the ratings were bad nothing could have helped. Did anyone read what the writer said? He was such a young guy who didn't have much direction. It was clear. If they did not want Marissa drama, they could have rewritten it, written more of her personality and less of drama.
Yeah, I agree. I think part of it was simply that Josh believed there weren't many fans who did love Marissa and RM. And that continues to be proven wrong even now, given how passionate so many fans still are about Marissa's death.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:56 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly♥Coffee (View Post)
There were a lot of fans that quit watching after Season 3 because they loved Marissa and RM.

That's why the ratings dropped partly.

I really think the show could have gone longer if she wasn't killed off.

I agree Tammy.

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Old 06-13-2014, 04:47 AM
New Fan

I remember when I watched the WORST was Johnny. Ugh
Old 06-13-2014, 07:01 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~tammy~ (View Post)
Yeah, I agree. I think part of it was simply that Josh believed there weren't many fans who did love Marissa and RM.
I really wish he didn't think this.
-The Holy Qur'an [13:16]
Old 06-14-2014, 08:21 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Josh and the other writers frustrated me So much.

Well to me Season 2 was a big let down in general.
I never thought it was ever as good as Season 1.

The OC was always Amazing compared to most shows today.

Except for killing Marissa of course.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:26 PM
Addicted Fan

So I now we didn't get to really see Ryan's reaction right after everything happened and I know that they were not together when she died. I want to know if you guys think they were headed back to getting together again? Also do you think Ryan was still in love with her? I mean I know we see how upset he is at the begining of season 4 but I always wanted to see more from him.

(Lucas&Peyton, Blair and Dan, Seth and Summer, Zack and Kelly, Ray and Neela, Ryan and Marissa)
icon by rosie_nic
[/B]
Old 06-17-2014, 02:42 PM
Addicted Fan

I think they would have ended up together again at some point in the future, when exactly is debatable. I think both were still in love with each other but they felt they should be apart, though maybe for different reasons. For me, Marissa knows she loves him and she wants him but she also wants to find out who she is, outside of Ryan (and also Newport) and hence the desire to get out of town. By comparison, near the end of season 3, Ryan loves her but I think for Ryan there's a conflict of loving her and then not wanting to want her. In some ways this is true also for Marissa but more strongly for Ryan. There is a sense in 3.25, that he's very sure of his feelings again but I think that's more of a function of the writer's foreknowledge that these are some of their final scenes. If you are more in keeping with the selection of episodes after their break-up in season 3, then I don't think they would have got back together very quickly because there was somewhat of a wariness to do so from both parties.

As for season 4, yeah I remain annoyed how they handled everything. Marissa's death became a question of revenge and a device for overcoming his saviour complex (and I have so many issues on that saviour thing but I won't get into it). The fact he loved her was kind of treated as a footnote. There are some scenes where it shines through the driving arc is built on a theme of revenge and guilt when really the crux of it is the simple pain of losing someone you love. Julie's arc is the most moving for me because it's so honest and raw. One of the Ryan scenes which I really do love in season 4 is when he's at her grave waiting for Julie. For a brief moment, the camera pans to his face and his pain is palpable. That's what is moving, the stuff afterwards that he realised he has to kill Volchok, I couldn't care less for. (Talking about that scene, I have to say nothing gets me like Julie saying 'I'm here everyday'.)

Last edited by ~tammy~; 06-17-2014 at 02:49 PM
Old 06-17-2014, 05:49 PM
Elite Fan

Great conversation! Keep it up guys!

This art is so pretty!
-The Holy Qur'an [13:16]
Old 06-18-2014, 12:42 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
I think they would have ended up together again at some point in the future, when exactly is debatable. I think both were still in love with each other but they felt they should be apart, though maybe for different reasons. For me, Marissa knows she loves him and she wants him but she also wants to find out who she is, outside of Ryan (and also Newport) and hence the desire to get out of town. By comparison, near the end of season 3, Ryan loves her but I think for Ryan there's a conflict of loving her and then not wanting to want her. In some ways this is true also for Marissa but more strongly for Ryan. There is a sense in 3.25, that he's very sure of his feelings again but I think that's more of a function of the writer's foreknowledge that these are some of their final scenes. If you are more in keeping with the selection of episodes after their break-up in season 3, then I don't think they would have got back together very quickly because there was somewhat of a wariness to do so from both parties.

As for season 4, yeah I remain annoyed how they handled everything. Marissa's death became a question of revenge and a device for overcoming his saviour complex (and I have so many issues on that saviour thing but I won't get into it). The fact he loved her was kind of treated as a footnote. There are some scenes where it shines through the driving arc is built on a theme of revenge and guilt when really the crux of it is the simple pain of losing someone you love. Julie's arc is the most moving for me because it's so honest and raw. One of the Ryan scenes which I really do love in season 4 is when he's at her grave waiting for Julie. For a brief moment, the camera pans to his face and his pain is palpable. That's what is moving, the stuff afterwards that he realised he has to kill Volchok, I couldn't care less for. (Talking about that scene, I have to say nothing gets me like Julie saying 'I'm here everyday'.)
Thanks! I really loved your response! So I know Ryan is Marissa's first love would you say she is his as well? Or do you think he loved Teresa?

I just really did not like a lot of season four and the way they handled it either. I just wanted to see so much more from Ryan you know like grieving. I guess I just get annoyed too that so many people seem to think that they were not right for each other especially when they always have Summer or Seth saying those two were terrible for each other.

I always felt they would have ended up together eventually as well and I hate that they killed her off. There was no doubt that Mariisa loved Ryan I guess I keep repeating myself but I just would have loved to see more of that confirmation from Ryan but I guess that is just his personality and he does not really show a lot of emotion.

I am rewatching season three now and when they finally made love it was amazing! Wish we had more tender moments without something coming in the way. I am excied for my rewatch.

I also wanted to know does anyone think Teresa's kid was Ryan's? I always hated how everyone just assumed it was his even Teresa and she only slept with Ryan once I mean what about Eddie?

(Lucas&Peyton, Blair and Dan, Seth and Summer, Zack and Kelly, Ray and Neela, Ryan and Marissa)
icon by rosie_nic
[/B]
Old 06-18-2014, 02:43 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravengirl008 (View Post)
I just really did not like a lot of season four and the way they handled it either. I just wanted to see so much more from Ryan you know like grieving. I guess I just get annoyed too that so many people seem to think that they were not right for each other especially when they always have Summer or Seth saying those two were terrible for each other.

I always felt they would have ended up together eventually as well and I hate that they killed her off. There was no doubt that Mariisa loved Ryan I guess I keep repeating myself but I just would have loved to see more of that confirmation from Ryan but I guess that is just his personality and he does not really show a lot of emotion.
Basically agree with everything you've said here. It's true there is dysfunction in their relationship but at the same time their love for each other is immense. I read a fic once which had a line that said something to the effect of, their love was so big neither knew what to do with it. I thought that summed them up pretty well because you had two messed kids, madly in love with each other, repeatedly placed in impossible predicaments. Ultimately, I think their relationship could have gone either way, they fail or they succeed. But I've always preferred the idea that they both overcome their individual problems and eventually find themselves in a position where they can make it work.

RE: Ryan/Theresa, I don't think it was love. Maybe a platonic kind of love but Marissa was definitely imo his first love in a romantic sense. I think that's how it comes across in 1.14, if Ryan had already been in love before, I don't think he would be as unnerved as he was in that episode.

And the whole baby issue is kind of a mess. They hinted pretty strongly it was Ryan's and then revealed it wasn't in season 3, pretty obviously for the sake of convenience. Tbh it is just easier to think that the baby was not Ryan's.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:48 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Basically agree with everything you've said here. It's true there is dysfunction in their relationship but at the same time their love for each other is immense. I read a fic once which had a line that said something to the effect of, their love was so big neither knew what to do with it. I thought that summed them up pretty well because you had two messed kids, madly in love with each other, repeatedly placed in impossible predicaments. Ultimately, I think their relationship could have gone either way, they fail or they succeed. But I've always preferred the idea that they both overcome their individual problems and eventually find themselves in a position where they can make it work.

RE: Ryan/Theresa, I don't think it was love. Maybe a platonic kind of love but Marissa was definitely imo his first love in a romantic sense. I think that's how it comes across in 1.14, if Ryan had already been in love before, I don't think he would be as unnerved as he was in that episode.

And the whole baby issue is kind of a mess. They hinted pretty strongly it was Ryan's and then revealed it wasn't in season 3, pretty obviously for the sake of convenience. Tbh it is just easier to think that the baby was not Ryan's.
Yeah, I knew they said the kid was not his I just hated how they kept hinting that it could be even though it was not on the show.

I think like you said they just needed some time to grow and then I think they would have ended up together. In season one it didn't take much to come between them but in season three it took a lot more and you could tell there was growth with Ryan trying to be better about not fighting and trusting Marissa.

icon by rosie_nic
[/B]
Old 06-20-2014, 01:50 AM
Addicted Fan

Yes, for all their troubles in season 3, you could tell there was some maturity there compared to their season 1 relationship. If the Johnny arc had just finished a few episodes earlier, than it wouldn't have been so bad. Then it might have actually served a purpose, acknowledging the growth that has actually taken place in their relationship. Ryan and Marissa were still not perfect by any means but there were moments of real promise at the end of The Game Plan and The Disconnect. There was a sense that maybe they could make it and it all got squandered to a plot line which was ultimately muddled and ended up distorting the actual problems Ryan and Marissa had. Like if they are to be fighting, they should be fighting about Trey and why they aren't letting each other in, not having a half-hearted argument about Marissa supposedly being in love with Johnny.