Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2004, 08:09 AM
Loyal Fan

No way [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
It is a teen romance not life long love. I mean what relationship at 16 is full of understanding.
They were attracted to each other, got it on and then it all sort of fell apart. I think with time and once they get to know each other better the love will come back [img]smilies/kiss.gif[/img] And on that note I will stop before I become shipperish. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Holy Sweet And Cuddly Pandas
We're not bad people Mac. Just under-acheivers making up for lost time. [Scotland PA]
Avi <<- FlyingHigh25
Pillow Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 10:48 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
It is a teen romance not life long love.
Which just means it's destined not to last once Ryan comes to his senses and realizes he deserves better!

Kimba
hopeful
Kimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Loyal Fan

Or vice-versa. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

We're not bad people Mac. Just under-acheivers making up for lost time. [Scotland PA]
Avi <<- FlyingHigh25
Old 03-12-2004, 04:07 PM
Banned

Definitely not vice-versa. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
CanonsAreWorthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 06:12 PM
Loyal Fan

This may be a bit off topic but I was just wondering why so many people find it difficult to warm to Marissa. She is friendly, loving, forgiving, complicated. What is so wrong with her?

Avi <<- FlyingHigh25
Old 03-12-2004, 07:36 PM
Banned

Oh, well, let's see. She's naive, foolish, self-absorbed, whiny, has always treated Summer like crap, treated Ryan like crap way before she met Oliver, thought she was entirely justified in stringing both Ryan and Luke along.........Just to name a few. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2004, 08:03 PM
Loyal Fan

I also think that Marissa gets ripped on much more than she deserves. Sure, I will admit that the girl has made some mistakes and she certainly is not the perfect girl. But hey, what kind of life has she really had? She has not had the best parents in the world, particularly her mother. My point is she has had a tough life too. Many will say that she has had the silver spoon, but what the hell is money if all your relationships suck? I mean, I guess what I am saying is this girl has not had it easy, either.

The other thing about the Oliver stuff. What people keep forgetting is the characters did not see what we, the fans, got to see. Marissa really had no reason to think that Oliver was as bad as Ryan was saying he was at first. Yes, she should have figured things out sooner, that is a fact.

And I, for one, would absolutely dump my boyfriend if he ever acted in the ways that Ryan did. Don't misunderstand, I think Ryan was acting out of pure love for Marissa, but again, all Marissa was seeing was jealousy, jealousy, and more jealousy. He stole from her, yes his intentions were noble, but at this point, Marissa didn't know that...

I guess I think both Ryan and Marissa acted inappropriately during this Oliver thing. Ryan should have explained himself better instead of coming across as so jealous and overbearing, while Marissa should have listened and especially should have started to figure things out whenever Luke became involved and was warning her. She should have for sure realized right then and there that it was not just a jealous Ryan and there was more to it..

Back to Marissa.. Everyone has a right to like or dislike characters, that is for sure. But, what I hate to see is when someone loathes a character so incredibly much, that they will not give that character ANY room on anything, and most importantly, will set aside and forgive all other characters and their negative attributes or actions but yet will put the character they loathe on the chopping block for every little thing.

For instance, I think there are some here that loathe Marissa and love Ryan. I am willing to bet that IF Marissa and Ryan did the SAME EXACT behavior, Marissa would be crucified and Ryan would come out smelling like a rose. Marissa would not be given any chance and Ryan would be justified for his behavior. Again, it's all about character prejudices here and it sucks, but again, everyone is entitled to think and feel any way they want..
Old 03-12-2004, 08:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Cleveland Rocks:
<STRONG>Back to Marissa.. Everyone has a right to like or dislike characters, that is for sure. But, what I hate to see is when someone loathes a character so incredibly much, that they will not give that character ANY room on anything, and most importantly, will set aside and forgive all other characters and their negative attributes or actions but yet will put the character they loathe on the chopping block for every little thing.

For instance, I think there are some here that loathe Marissa and love Ryan. I am willing to bet that IF Marissa and Ryan did the SAME EXACT behavior, Marissa would be crucified and Ryan would come out smelling like a rose. Marissa would not be given any chance and Ryan would be justified for his behavior. Again, it's all about character prejudices here and it sucks, but again, everyone is entitled to think and feel any way they want..</STRONG>
Dude, the reason I hate Marissa is that the writers love her. Period. Here is a list:

-- She treats Summer, her supposed best friend, like crap, and has since the start of the series.
-- She was a virgin with a boyfriend of several years and she STILL threw herself at Ryan after knowing him for less than a week. (The Model Home)
-- The fire in The Model Home was her fault -- if she hadn't gone there Luke wouldn't have ever gone in either.
-- She thought she was entirely justified in stringing Ryan along while she was still with Luke, to the point of keeping Ryan and Summer away from each other when Summer wanted Ryan. (The Debut)
-- She slept with Luke because she was mad at Ryan even though she was no longer sure of her feelings for Luke.
-- In The Homecoming, not only did she lie to Ryan so he would let her come to Chino, she conveniently forgot that Summer was supposed to have Thanksgiving dinner with her and her family.
-- In The Best Chrismakah Ever, she got drunk and then tried to drive, and then continued drinking while Ryan drove, and almost got Ryan arrested for the THIRD time.
-- She was a complete bitch to Theresa in the beginning of The Goodbye Girl -- throwing it in the girl's face that she lives in Newport and goes to school with Ryan and Seth.
-- She thinks she doesn't belong in therapy.

And last but not least --

The writers seem to think she is perfect! Summer hasn't ditched her yet, Ryan is probably going to take her back by the end of the season even though she DOESN'T deserve it, and Sandy is giving her advice on how to win Ryan back. WTF?? [img]smilies/furious.gif[/img] She's such a Mary Sue, and that, above all, is why I hate her.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:49 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by *Aleah*:
<STRONG>Dude, the reason I hate Marissa is that the writers love her. Period. Here is a list:

-- She treats Summer, her supposed best friend, like crap, and has since the start of the series.
-- She was a virgin with a boyfriend of several years and she STILL threw herself at Ryan after knowing him for less than a week. (The Model Home)
-- The fire in The Model Home was her fault -- if she hadn't gone there Luke wouldn't have ever gone in either.</STRONG>
Having sex with Luke because Ryan was making out with some supermodel was really, really stupid. I wanted to kick her then.

But the fire wasn't her fault. A series of different events led up to it. A lot of people could be blamed - Luke didn't have to pick a fight with Ryan and pushed him back into the candles, for example.

Quote:
<STRONG>-- She thought she was entirely justified in stringing Ryan along while she was still with Luke, to the point of keeping Ryan and Summer away from each other when Summer wanted Ryan. (The Debut)</STRONG>
Well, Summer only wanted Ryan because he is hot and stuff. Marissa was definitely attracted to him physically, but with her, she actually wanted a relationship, not some one-night stand as Summer probably did. Besides, Summer wasn't even upset about it. Which doesn't mean that it's okay for Marissa to do that to Summer - but I mean, if I liked some guy and my best friend did too, but I had a boyfriend, I have to say that I would most likely try my best to keep her away from him. That sounds bad but it's the truth. Although if my friend had gotten together with the guy I liked, I wouldn't do anything to sabotage it.

<STRONG>
Quote:
-- In The Homecoming, not only did she lie to Ryan so he would let her come to Chino, she conveniently forgot that Summer was supposed to have Thanksgiving dinner with her and her family.
-- In The Best Chrismakah Ever, she got drunk and then tried to drive, and then continued drinking while Ryan drove, and almost got Ryan arrested for the THIRD time.
-- She was a complete bitch to Theresa in the beginning of The Goodbye Girl -- throwing it in the girl's face that she lives in Newport and goes to school with Ryan and Seth.
-- She thinks she doesn't belong in therapy.</STRONG>
Marissa went with Ryan to Chino because she wanted to be there for him and see where he had grown up. That is not bad at all. Forgetting about Summer is . . . but Marissa seems like she just totally forgets about everything else that's going on in her life except for the most important thing.

Marissa started drinking in "The Best Chrismukkah Ever" because of all the stuff going on with her parents. It's not the best way to deal with stuff, but it's the only way she knows how. And then at the end of the episode, she said she would go to therapy for Ryan (or something to that effect). I think that is very admirable of her. Also, I don't think Marissa continued drinking while Ryan was driving, but I could be wrong. I haven't seen the episode in a long time.

She didn't throw anything in Theresa's face. Not to sound mean or anything, but maybe you just interpreted the scene wrong.

And to the last comment you made, no one likes to admit they have problems. But she's going, even though she doesn't like it.

<STRONG>
Quote:
And last but not least --

The writers seem to think she is perfect! Summer hasn't ditched her yet, Ryan is probably going to take her back by the end of the season even though she DOESN'T deserve it, and Sandy is giving her advice on how to win Ryan back. WTF?? [img]smilies/furious.gif[/img] She's such a Mary Sue, and that, above all, is why I hate her.</STRONG>
I thought Anna was the Mary Sue [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] But Marissa certainly isn't perfect, and I don't think the writers have written her to be percieved as so.

"It does not say that."

"You're right. But it would be so classic if it did."
Chippewa Falls Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 11:17 PM
Obsessed Fan

Aleah - thanks for saving me the time of writing out my reasons why I loathe Marissa. Really, she's the most useless and least likeable character of everyone on this show. She doesn't fit.

And let it be known, that I adore Seth, but when I thought he was acting an ass with Summer/Anna, I had no problem saying so. I didn't even like the kid for a few episodes, it was so bad.

Marissa is just a waste of space for me, and her airtime could be used by more interesting and complex characters.

And last but not least, Ryan deserves BETTER.

Kimba
Kimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 02:07 PM
Master Fan

With the whole Oliver thing? Yes. He did what he had to to protect the girl he loved(s). The fact that not even Seth believed him? Really angered me. Marissa was all 'you have to trust me! Me! Me! Me!'. He just didn't trust Oliver. And he was right.

And he's a seventeen year-old kid. He's allowed to do stupid things. Live and learn.

edited because I thought of something. Ryan has trust issues. I'm not saying he shouldn't have trusted Marissa, but his dad's in prison, his brother got him arrested and his mother bailed on him. I'd be a little trust-wary too, even of my girlfriend.

[ 03-13-2004: Message edited last beautiful girl ]

lex/lana("I did it for you") felicity/noel("you're my first boyfriend") trey/alex(mixing business with pleasure) seth/chloe(every superhero needs a lois lane)
last beautiful girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 02:24 PM
Banned

Kimba -- Word! I also didn't like how Seth was acting during the peak of the triangle scenario, and when he wasn't trusting Ryan about Oliver. But unlike with Marissa, the writers addressed the way he was acting as selfish and inconsiderate. If they would do the same thing with Marissa, that would be good. I also want them to slowly increase her shallow hatefulness to the point where no one wants her on the show and then she can be gone forever, but experience has taught me that this isn't going to happen. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

last beautiful girl -- I also definitely agree with you. Marissa doesn't understand Ryan at all. He just needs to be far away from her. Forever.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:56 PM
Loyal Fan

I think Marissa is an easy figure to attack because she is the supposed 'good girl next door.' Summer was originally a bitch so it was easier to be surprised by her. When she did something nice it was elevated beyond its value.
Marissa's heart is in the right place and she's not malicious. She makes mistakes but who doesn't. If she behaved the way Ryan did over the Oliver issue [obviously with different genders etc.] I think there would have been a lot more uproar. They really aren't judged by the same standards which is a shame. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

P.S My flatmate pointed out that Marissa could be like the young Kirsten. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] What do you think?

Avi <<- FlyingHigh25
Old 03-13-2004, 08:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Pillow Book:
<STRONG>P.S My flatmate pointed out that Marissa could be like the young Kirsten. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] What do you think?</STRONG>
Um, no. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] I think in the future she'll be like Jimmy -- still in love with Ryan (if he is still in Newport, which I think he will be) even though they are both married to other people.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:10 PM
Dedicated Fan

i think ryan handled it fine. it's marissa that has a problem.
freakygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread