Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2014, 01:22 PM
Absolute Fan

You would have definitely loved Haley, Theresa
She was a great character

I have to agree, the first four seasons of OTH I'd consider really good (though apparently season 4 wasn't considered that good to people from what I've heard) but the last five seasons, especially the last three, paled in comparison to the earlier seasons. Between the first four seasons and the whole series for OC, I have to agree that The O.C. writing were done a lot better. OTH had good storylines but I didn't think they were as good.

"You spit on me!" "You were choking me - I didn't mean to spit on you, darling." - Rachel Bilson and Ben McKenzie
NewOCFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:05 AM
Elite Fan

I think S1 and S4 were the best seasons of OTH. I hated S3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanBabe (View Post)
I think they took each other for granted. Marissa took Ryan for granted while they were in a relationship usually and hurt him - whereas generally he was a very good boyfriend when they were together, and Ryan took her for granted when they weren't in a relationship and generally, Marissa was a way better friend. They loved each other, but their biggest problem was communication. They were both too emotionally immature and burdened to be in a relationship with each other at the time, but probably would have worked out well if they had dated years later after college. Regardless, I ship them hard. Ben and Mischa were great together on screen, imo.
I don't want to offend you because you are a Ryan/Marissa fan and I have no problem with that. I think Marissa was always going to be a mess and she never worked on her problems so when she was in a relationship with Ryan soon or later she was going to screw up. But I think she loved him in her own way and went back to him because he made her happy or at least the happiest she ever felt.

I think Ryan always treated his other girlfriends better or at least seem more happy with them. I don't know if it was a chemistry thing or all the drama that was going on behind the scenes but I felt the Ben/Mischa dynamic change after S1.

Also I'm glad The OC tried to keep whatever was going on BTS hush instead of exposing everything like OTH did. The truth never came out until years later when Mischa spoke about it.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:07 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ring of fire (View Post)
I don't want to offend you because you are a Ryan/Marissa fan and I have no problem with that. I think Marissa was always going to be a mess and she never worked on her problems so when she was in a relationship with Ryan soon or later she was going to screw up. But I think she loved him in her own way and went back to him because he made her happy or at least the happiest she ever felt.

I think Ryan always treated his other girlfriends better or at least seem more happy with them. I don't know if it was a chemistry thing or all the drama that was going on behind the scenes but I felt the Ben/Mischa dynamic change after S1.

Also I'm glad The OC tried to keep whatever was going on BTS hush instead of exposing everything like OTH did. The truth never came out until years later when Mischa spoke about it.
You won't offend me. I love both Ryan and Marissa but I understand that some people didn't dig them as individual characters or together. I agree with you that Marissa loved Ryan in her own way, but I'd take it a step further and say she loved him with all of her heart. She just wanted his happiness, even when she understood that they weren't always right for one another, and that is something very beautiful.
-The Holy Qur'an [13:16]
~Search4Truth~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:44 PM
New Fan

For me, they're too vastly different to pick one over the other based on simple merits.

I was very young when The OC premiered (I had just turned 9 like six days prior), but I remember instantly loving it. I was pretty oblivious to the importance of what was happening, but I was so into Ryan and the pairing of him with Marissa that I didn't care that a lot of it went over my head. Now that I've gotten older and with the help of re-watches, I can say I like The OC for what it had originally started out as, a nice blend of well written comedy and drama. I feel the writers knew how to combine the two undoubtedly, so it was always nice to break away from the constant drama (not that I have an issue with constant drama, but I'll get to that in a sec), so if things were getting too heavy, the next episode or two would be a bit lighter. But I feel the show quickly fizzled out after the first season, and all of the new additions and storylines post season one were insufferable and a bit sloppy and sloppily handled. I feel if things had stayed on point, I wouldn't have minded the shift into complete drama and I'd lean more toward The OC, but I think it had lost its footing too quick. So if this were based solely on season one and the admirable try at redemption of season four and childhood nostalgia, The OC would more than likely win.

With One Tree Hill, I think I knew from the get-go what I was getting into. It was always so soapy (even for starting off as a teen drama on The WB and for always taking itself so seriously ). Even when the show completely reached daytime levels of soap opera, I was still eager to watch it just for the ridiculousness of it all. Not saying it didn't have completely insufferable and pointless plots but still. All of the ridiculous drama that would happen seemingly out of nowhere would make up for it. But also I think OTH held up way longer than The OC did. (at least up until the end of season five). And I loved Brooke and Rachel and shipped Brooke and Lucas very strongly and had many feelings about the love triangle with Peyton (and Peyton in general) and I was in love with Nathan and that helped pull me deeper into the show than I ever did with The OC. So based on bigger entertainment value and eliciting stronger reactions in me, OTH would definitely be my top choice.

I think I'll do a re-watch of both soon.
Blair94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:35 PM
Elite Fan

I agree about OTH causing stronger feelings. I was much more vocal and passionate about the ships and characters of OTH than the ones in The OC. Still watching both shows years later The OC had better writing and acting. As a show it was better but OTH just provoked stronger emotions. The OTH fan base was insane during the time the show was airing.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:43 PM
Passionate Fan

It's hard for me to choose. Back when both shows were airing, I think there were times when I was more into The OC and other times when I was more into OTH. I'm very attached to Marissa, but I'm also a huge Lucas/Haley shipper.

I guess both shows are about even for me
dcfriends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:02 AM
Master Fan

Really great read! I only read the 2014 onwards posts I can't answer because I don't watch any of the three shows Just a few episodes of OC and OTH here and there but for some reason DC was never aired here. Perhaps too early and expensive to bring to Asia back then.
andii98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:34 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Really great read! I only read the 2014 onwards posts I can't answer because I don't watch any of the three shows Just a few episodes of OC and OTH here and there but for some reason DC was never aired here. Perhaps too early and expensive to bring to Asia back then.
I think all three shows are good and different in their own way

I also love Beverly Hills, 90210.
dcfriends is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread