Master Fan

Episode 119 - The Heartbreak - Discussion

Episode Number 19
First Aired February 18, 2004
Production Code 119
Writer Josh Schwartz
Director Lev L. Spiro
--
Guest Stars: Amanda Righetti (as Hailey Nichol) Navi Rawat (as Theresa)
--
Synopsis
--
Marissa tries to mend her relationship with Ryan, but he can't forgive her for the situation with Oliver. Things become even more complicated when Theresa, Ryan's ex from Chino, arrives to cater the Valentine's Day dance. Meanwhile, Seth and Summer decide to take their friendship to a new level, and Jimmy finds out he has a secret admirer in the Cohen house.
--

I hope you all enjoy this episode!

[ 02-18-2004: Message edited Ice Queen follower ]

darylbeth
Ice Queen follower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Fan

SPOILERS AHEAD

Summer, Summer, Summer. I love you.

I loved how she was mean to Seth at the beginning. How she didn't just take him back, how he realized he was wrong and tried to make it up to her. I loved her aditude. Her lines! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] "I'm not gonna be your sloppy seconds, jackass." [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Best line ever. I also loved her going, "If you make a bang for your buck joke..."

Summer's Princess Sparkle! Aw! She has a toy horse too! I loved how the scene echoed the scene in Seth's room. When he went, "I'm not nobody" in Princess Sparkle's voice. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] And later when Seth said, "She had great hoofs."

When Jimmy went, "It's not ticking... it can't be from your mother." [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Seth and Sandy's convo... it was so akward I felt weird. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

I felt bad for both Julie and Kirsten. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Marissa basically prostituting herself for forgiveness... weird.

I love how the camera panned to everyone and it would move from one story to another... reminded me of "The Gamble".

I love how it was like, Summer's top is off, Seth is in a trance. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] And the music played.

Enjoyed that little Sandy/Marissa moment... I thought when Summer walked up there was going to be a little akward moment between them.

I like how when Luke showed up at Julie's at first she wanted him to go... loved when she went "I beat Kirsten!" And when she took that huge gup of wine. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Summer was a virgin... that was so sad when she said they should have waited, and how they rushed through the important moment and it was supposed to be special.

I loved that adorable thing Rachel Bilson did when she laughed as she said "You're so cheezy Cohen."

Great episode.

"I know who you are..."

"It's all fun and games 'till one of you gets my foot up your ass."
Cruel Irony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 05:29 PM
Elite Fan

This episode was so good.

I also loved how the camera panned the room as it changed storylines. And the talk between Marissa and Sandy was really sweet. Sandy was just really great this episode, especially funny when he said that the Cohens are sexual beings [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Seth and Summer--wow, I can't say enough. I loved the scene when he first went to her room.

Summer: Cohen?
Seth: Yeah?
Summer: Do you happen to...to have...you know?
Seth: Oh! Yeah I do. In my wallet. I've been viewing it as kind of like a rabbit's foot for good luck only but that's...
Summer: You're about to get lucky.
Seth: Whatever you say Summer. Yes. Yes.
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] He was totally in a trance whenever she took off her top.

And Seth was so cute when he was talking to Captain Oats and he said "not to rub it in man, but I think Princess Sparkles was your type. Yeah, I blew it for us both. What's that? Yeah, are you kidding, great hooves." And the scene after that when Summer confessed and they danced..aww [img]smilies/love.gif[/img]

Julie and Luke--I find myself liking them, regardless the whole Marissa weirdness factor. I don't think she will find out about them right away and even if she does, it probably won't be too bad. Loved the scene between them, with Julie looking over towards the Cohen house to make sure no one was watching.

Marissa/Ryan/Theresa--I felt bad for Marissa, but Ryan did nothing wrong in telling her he wasn't ready to take her back. She didn't trust him and he nees some time to think about all the stuff that happened. I like Theresa and I would have no problem with her and Ryan becoming closer. I don't know about a relationship, but her coming to visit him more and everything would be nice.

Jimmy and Hailey--I wish Jimmy would date her. They are really cute together.

"Fish Sex" [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] So glad Ryan told Seth not to refer to it as that anymore!

Is it because you know I love Count Chocula?
Bee Serious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 05:38 PM
Loyal Fan

Posted this in the Canuckian thread, but I'll post it here as well...

The O.C. that I fell in love with is back, baby!

The writers have gotten back to the principles that made this show a cult hit in the first place.

Count me in on those who loved the "I beat Kirsten?" line. However, I felt physically ill during that last scene between Julie/Luke. Ugh. I do NOT need to see that on my TV. Blech, he's boned your daughter dammit!

KANDY!! Squee! Usually when I'm watching TV shows, adult/parent storylines bore me, but not with Kandy. They're so frickin adorable!

Loved the core Cohen (minus Ryan) interaction at the beginning with the Valentine's vs. Christmukkah argument.

Loved Seth/Ryan. The "Nemo" comment had me in stitches. Love how Seth referenced to their talks before big events.

Loved the Seth/Sandy interaction. PG and AB are just so awesome at playing off one another. Haha, did he call Seth a "dog" when he found out it was Summer?

I hate Marissa with the fire of a thousand suns. Haven't you heard? Sex is the answer to everything! Prostituting yourself will make people forgive you! NOT! Ugh, you dense stupid idiotface! Did you honestly think things could go back to the way they used to be? Gah. The could we start things over again, hi I'm Marissa Cooper act was so lame and overdone. On the other hand, I wasn't driven to nausea by MB's acting last night. There were times when I actually saw her emoting!

Loved that Ryan stood up for himself and didn't accept Marissa crawling back to him. I'm intrigued by the Theresa/Ryan development. Anything to keep Marissa away from my Ryan.

I'm surprised so many people are surprised that Summer's a virgin. Didn't we learn this in that episode where Marissa has sex with Luke? Or maybe I'm confusing fanfiction with fact again.

Speaking of which... Can I get get a "Hallelujah" to the S/S perfectness that went on last night? Loved that Summer didn't want to be Seth's sloppy seconds. Surprised that she was playing an arcade game though... Loved her calling him an "assface" because I've been saying that for months, and I'm totally taking it as a shoutout to me. I wasn't feeling RB's hair in this ep, but she was awesome nonetheless.

I'm so relieved and happy about the way the writers approached the "sex" issue. It was totally believable, and didn't in any way codemn or condone it, IMO.

Seth is back! Loved his "it's always been you" and "bowing out". The Princess Sparkles thing was rather contrived... How did he immediately know where it was? He started searching her room right away. Oh yea, also loved "Whatever you say, Summer, whatever you say!" The chemistry between AB/RB is undeniable!

I think that's all... This show has me believing it's Obviously Crack again [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2004, 06:59 PM
Master Fan

No Anna? Crap. Sam's not listed in the cast credits. [img]smilies/cry.gif[/img]

Face it Summer. You are sloppy seconds. ::runs away::
And Teresa? I haven't even seen you yet, but already, I don't like you. Stay away from Ryan.

Sigh. Why do I even watch this show?

lex/lana("I did it for you") felicity/noel("you're my first boyfriend") trey/alex(mixing business with pleasure) seth/chloe(every superhero needs a lois lane)
last beautiful girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 08:21 PM
Extreme Fan

You watch it because the fact that it's frustrating just makes it better. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

apparently I can't type

[ 02-18-2004: Message edited -cait- ]
Old 02-18-2004, 08:41 PM
Master Fan

Rewatching this a second time..for the sake of Kandy and Sandy's "sexual being" line. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Kandy - So. Much. Love. I hope they'd get less trivial storylines, though.
But, whatever. Cute. [img]smilies/in_love.gif[/img]

Theresa - So pretty! And she's not half as annoying as Marissa. Thus, Theresa & Ryan = OTP!!11one. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Summer/Seth - *zzz* SNORE. Get together and 'screw' in the same ep. Hooray for sloppy seconds. Let's move on now.

Marissa - I'm going to kill you with a toothpick. How many times has she jumped in Ryan's arms? *aggravation*

Luke/Julie - *blink* SPEW! That was skeery. And ICK, disgusting.
"I beat Kirsten?" In yo' dreams, Lady Heather.

Jimmy/Hailey - Oh no. The sister from hell is back. RUN, Jimmy!
X-6_494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 09:00 PM
Loyal Fan

Awwww. I'm sorry but I love Seth/Summer and that was too cute lol. Anyone know what song that was playing at the end of the episode?
Old 02-18-2004, 09:08 PM
Master Fan

O.K I just saw it. Minutes before I did, I was sure I was not going to enjoy S/S but I did... aww... how cute. Seth is back! Yippie! When he was going on about his facial expressions and sounds he made during his first sexual encounter I had to LOL.

I'm sorry, but Theresa looks about 29 time to me - not like a teenager at all.

I am glad Ryan broke up with Marissa! Yippie... I only hope he never takes her back.

I love seeing Hailey - I think she's the prettiest on the show and I hope she and Jimmy get it on - hey, they r both down, they can help build one another up.

lol... Luke and Julie. I thought I'd puke, but it was actually funny.

O.K people, is the OC officially a comedy? Cos the entire tone seems comedic and not at all dramatic.
The Lord is my shepherd.
Chiqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 09:15 PM
Addicted Fan

*happy sigh* good ep.

Marissa - So, they gave her bangs to cover up the lobotomy stitches. Nice touch.

Ryan - I luff Ryan 4eva. You have no idea how relieved I was when he actually didn't take her back! Awesome! Stupid bitch. I can't believe she thinks he's upset because she "abandoned" him, and that she can make it all up that easy. He's pissed because you DIDN'T TRUST HIM AND TREATED HIM LIKE CRAP. Okay?

Theresa - Um, are we supposed to be on Marissa's side here? Cause...I don't see how anyone could possibly prefer Marissa over Theresa. She's pretty, less-anorexic looking, and seems to have some functioning brain cells left.

Summer/Seth - *squee!* I love them. So cute. Great chemistry. Anna who...?

Seth - J'adore Seth again. See? Obviously Anna was the negative influence. Now that she's gone he's adorable and funny again.

Summer - Loved that she didn't just immediately fall into his arms. Princess Sparkles. Hee.

Sandy - Bwah! Sandy is consistently awesome. "We Cohens are very sexual people." Hee. The sex conversation was pretty funny. And, dammit, he's such a nice guy. Trying to cheer up MarissaBot, and the thing at the end for Kirsten.

Kirsten - Since I find Valentine's Day somewhat pointless (although I don't hate it), I thought her love for it was a little irritating. And it's been done before so, so many times. But I like Sandy and Kirsten, so it was all okay.

Luke/Julie - Ah...um...NO. PLEASE NO MORE OF THIS.

Next week...note to Anna: the bitter ex-girlfriend gig isn't attractive, especially when your greasy hair is plastered to your head like that. Note to Summer: the guy you're flirting with is hideous. Note to Theresa: the second Marissa shows up on your doorstep, punch her lights out.

icon credit
alli balli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 09:18 PM
Master Fan

I loved this episode [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

How cute was Kirsten shooting Sandy and Seth with that nerf arrow [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Seth and Summer are so cute together I love them [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] The banter was great I laughed so hard whrn she called him ass face [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]They had their first time together i was surprised that Summer was also a virgin. All I have to say is "Hello Sunshine" [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I would also like to thank Summer for taking the sheet with her so that I could get a good look at Seth's bod [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I'm so happy that Ryan didn't take Marissa back she can take a flying leap off a cliff for all I care.
Hot Like Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 09:20 PM
Part-Time Fan

I'm so not understanding the anorexic jabs here. Just because a person is skinny, it does not mean they are anorexic nor bulemic.

[ 02-18-2004: Message edited iwantpinacolada ]
iwantpinacolada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 09:22 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by fear x less:
<STRONG>Awwww. I'm sorry but I love Seth/Summer and that was too cute lol. Anyone know what song that was playing at the end of the episode?</STRONG>

During the Seth/Summer goodness? Ryan Adam's cover of Oasis's "Wonderwall." Yummy, isn't it?

Hello Sunshine. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I loved this episode! Yes, I felt bad for Marissa, but if Ryan and her had gotten back together immediately, it would have been really contradictory to Ryan's previously established character. So, that only made me love it more.

Seth/Summer. sdklajaa. Really, that's all I have to say. No wait, I have more. If a guy who had been in love with me for all of time said to me what Seth said to Summer... I'd probably give it up for him, too. And speaking from Seth's point of view, if my life-long crush wanted to do it, hell yeah I'd be there. And if anyone was sloppy seconds, Anna really sort of was. Not because I'm a Seth/Summer fan, but because she was a replacement for Summer all along, and she knew it. Awww, but I think Samaire is adorable and will miss her. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Julie's "I beat Kirsten" line. For some reason, all I could think of was that you play Ultimatum with friends, and Seth not really being friends with Luke, Kirsten wouldn't have even been in the running. Aww, but sometimes I feel bad for Julie, so I'll let her have her fun. I just won't watch, is all. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Does anyone know what song plays when they are showing stuff like "The OC is brought to you by..." "Next week's OC" etc? It sounds SO familiar but I can't place it.

[ 02-18-2004: Message edited Persephone Pixie ]
Old 02-18-2004, 09:41 PM
Master Fan

Marissa: What. Is With. The Bangs? No. You kinda looked pathetic tonight. Yes, Ryan's hot, I'd want that too, but throwing yourself at him? No.

Teresa's pritty. She and Ryan look hot together. He's blonde and broody and she's dark and tough. [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Seth, Seth, Seth. I thought you were above the 'cheesy line'. Be funny! Not schmoopy!

Luke and Julie? Ewww. And I thought Hailey was gone forever. [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img] Darnit.

Kirsten with the arrow? So cute.

lex/lana("I did it for you") felicity/noel("you're my first boyfriend") trey/alex(mixing business with pleasure) seth/chloe(every superhero needs a lois lane)
last beautiful girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 09:46 PM
Loyal Fan

I missed the last 20 minutes.

I'm going to KILL my mother. She made me miss the last 20 minutes!! I have no idea what happened! And the worst part is, I DIDN'T GET TO SEE BEN IN HIS WIFEBEATER! *Sobs*

Anyways.

Marissa - I actually didn't feel bad for her. I thought I would but I was just sitting there, watching her, going, Well, toots, that's what you get.

And FYI to Mishca - the "modern" look is not so good on her. The bangs looked nice when her hair was all wavy.

Ryan - Let me just say, he looked goo-ood in his tux. I actually WHISTLED when I saw him. And I only whistle whenever Leonardo DiCaprio comes on in Titanic or any other movie/public event.

I'm glad he isn't taking Marissa back just like that. But please, don't get with Theresa.

Am very, VERY depressed I could not see Ben in the wifebeater [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Seth - When he said "Oh snap" I literally started rolling on the floor. He looked so awkward doing it but it was so funny! [img]smilies/rotfl.gif[/img] And he was very good in "the talk" between Sandy and Seth. Again, it was so awkward that it was funny. But I don't quite understand why he talked to his DAD for advice in that area. I mean, hello, you can always press Ryan for more information. Or you can ask Luke. Or go on-line in a chat room.

Kirsten - Still love her. Still want to be like her when I grow up. Kelly Rowan was great in that fight between Kirsten and Sandy [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Jimmy - I still hate you. Don't say "kiddo" anymore. I mean it.

Luke - Sowing some wild oats much? (Did I get that right? I think it's "sow wild oats" but I'm not sure.)

Theresa - I'm sorry but I just don't like her. She seems kind of blah. I don't want Ryan to go out with her. He should make Marissa suffer for a while and then take her back. I mean, the girl will freaking eat cow guts off of a street if he told her to! She'll use sex to get him to forgive her! Ryan totally has Marissa eating out of the palm of his hand. But he seems to be a man among men, so I don't think that will matter much to him.

What was in the preview for next week???????

[ 02-18-2004: Message edited Chippewa Falls Dawson ]

"It does not say that."

"You're right. But it would be so classic if it did."
Chippewa Falls Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread