Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2015, 03:47 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Elsa (View Post)
Lol so? It's still going to be so gross, pity dating is bad enough but pity sex is just worse. And nah sorry, I'm not convinced he has feelings for her. If we don't see that, it's not because we don't want to, it's because we tried to, and it's just blatantly obvious.
After the last episode I'm pretty convinced. I think they've gone to great lengths to flag it as "something else" and something different from his previous loves. That doesn't mean that the "guilt trip" meme couldn't be brought back if the writers need to, but I also could see them lasting the run.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:52 PM
Addicted Fan

The only thing I interpreted from that scene was that at most, Stefan was willing to settle for Caroline because Elena's out of the picture.

Quote:
The ship sailed on things "going back to normal" like one season ago.
I don't think it did. This show forgets things on a regular basis. Things the way they're now, even if Stefan went back to Elena, it would be forgiven and forgotten in a hot minute. I don't think it'd be so easy once they hooked up. First, Caroline wouldn't forgive him for pity fcking her, and then she won't forgive herself for ever wanting a guy who fcked her out of pity.

Honestly, I can't even see how she still has any feelings for him at all. I mean this girl dumped her last bf bc he didn't make her his first priority AND He actually had a good reason for that. That isn't the case with Stefan at all. I don't see why the Caroline we've seen from the past 6 years would settle for a guy who isn't even in love with her. not even a little bit.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:14 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzel (View Post)
The only thing I interpreted from that scene was that at most, Stefan was willing to settle for Caroline because Elena's out of the picture.
I don't see how you get that out of the scenes, really. What I saw was a guy who was confused because his relationship to this girl didn't fit the "parameters" that he was used to for "being in love", which he had only been two times and both with a girl that looked exactly the same. When this was pointed out to him he withdrew because he didn't want to hurt her, and later in the episode, what he said was basically "I figured it out, just because it doesn't feel exactly the same as with the others doesn't mean it's not worth pursuing. These feelings might be better."

Do I think this was well written, no I don't, but I do genuinely believe that we are supposed to think that his feelings for her are "special."
Old 02-21-2015, 04:22 PM
Master Fan

Even the writers hesitate to answer if he has feelings for her, if all they keep saying is "he feels bad, he cares deeply" then there you have it.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:25 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Elsa (View Post)
Even the writers hesitate to answer if he has feelings for her, if all they keep saying is "he feels bad, he cares deeply" then there you have it.
... And yeah, I'll reserve my judgment until we see where this goes further.

One thing that weighs heavily in favor of S/C is the fact that I don't see a single shred of attraction between Stefan and Elena at this point. Yes, I am sure that could change with instant-human Elena, but I also think that if they're really that hellbent on making another triangle, it would be rather poor drama if one of the actors in it has literally no shot.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:41 PM
Addicted Fan

^Like it was with Damon for the first two seasons? Yeah. that's what I thought.

I guess we see what we want to see. And what I've seen so far is everyone strong-arming Stefan into a relationship he clearly doesn't want. How many times has he said that he just doesn't see her that way, that he has NEVER seen her that way? Add to that his guilt racked mind, and her mother's death and Caroline pinning all her hopes on him and I don't see how it makes for a believable romance at all.

See, I get the point of subtlety, but if the writers have the audience confused to the point that they don't even think that Stefan might be interested then there is a problem. I mean, even KC were written 1000x clearly than this and that ship was half in the shippers heads!

Old 02-21-2015, 04:49 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
^Like it was with Damon for the first two seasons? Yeah. that's what I thought.
What do you mean? As in Damon didn't have a shot? That's not at all how I saw it and I don't think anyone else did either. As soon as they turned off the "Damon the main villain" meme it became an option, and Elena and Damon always had romantic or sexual chemistry, right from the start. Honestly as soon as he displayed any real attraction towards her it became a possibility. Maybe I misunderstand you.
Quote:
I guess we see what we want to see. And what I've seen so far is everyone strong-arming Stefan into a relationship he clearly doesn't want.
But that's not at all what happened the last episode. That was Stefan asking for advice, being told to dump her, acting on that advice and then regretting it and telling the guy who gave him the advice "screw that, you're wrong."
Old 02-21-2015, 05:47 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
. I mean, even KC were written 1000x clearly than this and that ship was half in the shippers heads!
You better take that back...

~Katie~
Old 02-21-2015, 07:17 PM
Master Fan

Stefan had already been guilt-tripped for FOURTEEN episodes when he decided to give SC a shot. And even then he said "I may not be able to explain what I feel but it is something"

When you love someone you know, even if it's different from the kind of love you'd previously experienced. He doesn't know what it is because he's confusing his pity and guilt and genuine adoration for her for love. But even then he couldn't call it love, that's why were now seeing ANOTHER guilt storyline, this will get him there.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:24 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysBL (View Post)
Stefan had already been guilt-tripped for FOURTEEN episodes when he decided to give SC a shot. And even then he said "I may not be able to explain what I feel but it is something"

When you love someone you know, even if it's different from the kind of love you'd previously experienced. He doesn't know what it is because he's confusing his pity and guilt and genuine adoration for her for love. But even then he couldn't call it love, that's why were now seeing ANOTHER guilt storyline, this will get him there.
I don't think that it's a stretch to say that if you have only experienced one kind of love (you know, the burning, irrational and overwhelming infatuation) for 150 years, it might take a while to figure out another kind.

The two talks between Stefan and Damon were a vehicle to prove precisely that he would not date Caroline out of pity, and that he could not be strong-armed into or out of a relationship.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:36 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telepath (View Post)
I don't think that it's a stretch to say that if you have only experienced one kind of love (you know, the burning, irrational and overwhelming infatuation) for 150 years, it might take a while to figure out another kind.

The two talks between Stefan and Damon were a vehicle to prove precisely that he would not date Caroline out of pity, and that he could not be strong-armed into or out of a relationship.
all it proved is that he wouldn't consciously date Caroline out of pity, and I think everyone knew that. The writers are protecting Stefan's character, when he gets with Caroline it was always going to be because he 100% believed it might work, and only when it fails will they let you know, through Stefan realizing it himself, what the love was rooted in.

The writers are never going to blatantly present it as pity, they want you to invest in the romance until its time to end. You have to pay attention to the subtext and it's all guilt. If you're looking for it to be 100% obvious before you believe it then you will be waiting until they break up.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:43 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
all it proved is that he wouldn't consciously date Caroline out of pity, and I think everyone knew that. The writers are protecting Stefan's character, when he gets with Caroline it was always going to be because he 100% believed it might work, and only when it fails will they let you know, through Stefan realizing it himself, what the love was rooted in.

The writers are never going to blatantly present it as pity, they want you to invest in the romance until its time to end. You have to pay attention to the subtext and it's all guilt. If you're looking for it to be 100% obvious before you believe it then you will be waiting until they break up.
As I have stated before I do not rule out that they will use this meme down the road but I am not convinced it will go down like this either. I think it all depends on where they take D/E. Basically, if that ship is doomed, S/C will sink as well.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

Old 02-21-2015, 08:09 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telepath (View Post)
As I have stated before I do not rule out that they will use this meme down the road but I am not convinced it will go down like this either. I think it all depends on where they take D/E. Basically, if that ship is doomed, S/C will sink as well.
Fair enough, and it doesn't really matter, if people enjoy it then I'm happy for them. I just feel bad for SC fans in general because I think they have such high expectations and it's gonna tumble down on them. In fact, no matter who you ship, that's pretty much always the case on this show lmao.

Oh and reading what you said about the triangle, I don't think it's actually gonna be much of a triangle. I think it will break Elena's heart to see SC together but she'll keep her mouth shut and let them be happy, and then either Caroline will notice or maybe Bonnie/Damon will let something slip, there will be a few eps of drama and then Caroline will give the typical tv speech about how she knows Stefan will always be in love with Elena and she's letting him go. The end. You've seen one teen drama, you've seen 'em all.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:45 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Fair enough, and it doesn't really matter, if people enjoy it then I'm happy for them. I just feel bad for SC fans in general because I think they have such high expectations and it's gonna tumble down on them. In fact, no matter who you ship, that's pretty much always the case on this show lmao.

Oh and reading what you said about the triangle, I don't think it's actually gonna be much of a triangle. I think it will break Elena's heart to see SC together but she'll keep her mouth shut and let them be happy, and then either Caroline will notice or maybe Bonnie/Damon will let something slip, there will be a few eps of drama and then Caroline will give the typical tv speech about how she knows Stefan will always be in love with Elena and she's letting him go. The end. You've seen one teen drama, you've seen 'em all.
Sure, I could see all of that.