Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andu (View Post)
And then he'll get over it and life will go on. Eventually he finds someone else. That's life
Yeah, I totally see it
I want him to find a hot beautiful intellegent girl... This will drive Penny NUTS Well, we've already seenhow is Penny when some other girl touches Leonard. Catfight!
Old 12-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Elite Fan

Please let's not dive any deeper into this. I am just expecting it leading to some intense but pointless fighting.
I won't let you be denied
Ashu is always mindlessly twatting away on Twitter|icon by Petra
Old 12-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andu (View Post)
Please let's not dive any deeper into this. I am just expecting it leading to some intense but pointless fighting.
Let's not

3.13 - Press release:

Quote:
SHELDON HELPS KOOTHRAPPALI PICK UP GIRLS, ON "THE BIG BANG THEORY," MONDAY, JAN. 11
Danica McKellar ("The Wonder Years") Guest Stars As The Object of Raj's Attraction

"The Psychic Vortex" - While Sheldon and Koothrappali attend a university mixer, Leonard is upset to discover that Penny believes in psychics, on THE BIG BANG THEORY, Monday, Jan. 11 (9:30-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Danica McKellar ("The Wonder Years") guest stars as Abby, the object of Raj's attraction.
Ha-ha.. I bet in the end the psychic will be right and Leonard will be even more upset...
Old 12-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

That's the episode where Leonard says he shouldn't have to change himself/his beliefs to be with Penny ... and then ends up doing so in the end, when he pretends he believes in it all too. Yet another unresolved problem for them.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
That's the episode where Leonard says he shouldn't have to change himself/his beliefs to be with Penny ... and then ends up doing so in the end, when he pretends he believes in it all too. Yet another unresolved problem for them.
Once they get bored with the sex, there won't be anything to hold onto in that relationship anymore.

All in my opinion of course.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:46 PM
Supreme Fan

Jan 11th is the one when LP have a few arguments. Hmm, three weeks without a new episode. BUT we do get the Christmas epi of last season next week so those two weeks should fly...lets hope.

☆Krys ☆
Old 12-15-2009, 12:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
This is the reason why L/P fundamentally don't work for me. Without stepping on any toes, I have to say Leonard isn't man enough for Penny. She is a very dominant character and likes things done her way. Leonard just gets trampled and ends up conceding time and time again. He's ashamed of being a geek and tries to change himself to live up to the standards of being with a hot girl.

This is just another chip off the old block. This whole season has been a series of unresolved issues for L/P. It has to come to a heed but preferably not in the season finale.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:27 AM
Loyal Fan

I think it's very realistic that these two have issues. How can they not? They are two people with completely different backgrounds. But they like and maybe love each other, they want to be together (otherwise they wouldn't have lasted that long.. it's not that Penny doesn't have other options ). So, eventually they will work through their issues and stay together or they will not be able to deal and will break up. And it's not very realistic to resolve every issue in 20 minutes of an episode. It's a long shot. But I'm really happy writers didn't break them up after couple of episodes. This is a great opportunity to see relationship progressing and evolving. Realisticly.

Quote:
He's ashamed of being a geek and tries to change himself to live up to the standards of being with a hot girl.
I don't see that. Honestly. He was quite assertive when she tried to ignore him and let her ex-boyfriend stay at her appartment. And there is nothing wrong in trying to change your ways and show acceptance for someone you love. It's not always done out of shame or insecurity, sometimes people do it out of love. She did it for him too on different ocasions. so it's really mutual.

Last edited by lenaguffi; 12-15-2009 at 09:41 AM
Old 12-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
And it's not very realistic to resolve every issue in 20 minutes of an episode
I agree with you but if this is the case, why open up the issues at all? It almost feels as if the writers aren't aware that they opened up these sources of conflict for LP so how can you resolve what you don't know exists, you know? It seems to me as if a conflict is opened up each episode for L/P and rather than addressing it, it's swept under the rug as if it never existed. As if they use L/P relationship drama to catalyse the plotlines for the episode but aren't invested in the couple itself.

For example, the episode where L/P are fighting about the guy staying at Penny's apartment was used as a way to show us Sheldon's issues with fighting at childhood, but rather than resolving the problem for L/P, they just ended the fight by bending to Sheldon's wishes. Then again when Sheldon teaches Penny physics, it shows an underlying insecurity from Penny in regards to her intelligence being enough for Leonard's standards...rather than addressing this at the end, they had Penny turn towards Sheldon and nod in his direction for regurgitating all the information she had memorized. Lastly, this episode opened up another issue where Leonard never told his mom about Penny, then the two women agreed that one of them SHOULD feel insulted by the fact that he lied to both of them ( whether it was Penny or his mom). This issue was never resolved because they used it was momentum for Sheldon to get kissed by Leonard's mom.

The next upcoming episode shows ANOTHER conflict for L/P, where Leonard is upset that Penny believes in psychics, and I almost expect that issue not to be resolved either. What stops this season from being great to me is that there isn't any themes and no silver linings or message we are supposed to take away from each episode. Now either all these half-plots are leading to an L/P break up, or they should start resolving these issues so the audience knows we are meant to root for them.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
For example, the episode where L/P are fighting about the guy staying at Penny's apartment was used as a way to show us Sheldon's issues with fighting at childhood, but rather than resolving the problem for L/P, they just ended the fight by bending to Sheldon's wishes. Then again when Sheldon teaches Penny physics, it shows an underlying insecurity from Penny in regards to her intelligence being enough for Leonard's standards...rather than addressing this at the end, they had Penny turn towards Sheldon and nod in his direction for regurgitating all the information she had memorized. Lastly, this episode opened up another issue where Leonard never told his mom about Penny, then the two women agreed that one of them SHOULD feel insulted by the fact that he lied to both of them ( whether it was Penny or his mom). This issue was never resolved because they used it was momentum for Sheldon to get kissed by Leonard's mom.
It's still a sitcom, so it should be funny. And Sheldon always brings the funny, and he is one of the three main characters (if not THE main character), so he will probably be involved even in LP first wedding night (if it's going to be LP) It's just the way this show works. I agree with you that it manages to raise interesting issues but rarely manages to solve them in a satisfying way. That's the reason many of the episodes feel unfinished or cut. I'm far from satisfied from this season either, maybe for different reasons than you are, but I see your point
Old 12-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
so he will probably be involved even in LP first wedding night
This cracked me up.

Ooo I love how we just agreed even though on different standpoints. It's actually a good way for me to understand the other side without arguing about it. Very much my point, it almost feels as if the plotlines are incomplete all the time because they never actually resolve the issues. This season is very dissatisfying compared to seasons 1-2. I don't think the writers have found their rhymn yet. It seems as if different writers each write their own episodes and fail to consult with the one who wrote the previous episode so all the episodes seem disjointed or something.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:58 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaguffi (View Post)
I think it's very realistic that these two have issues. How can they not? They are two people with completely different backgrounds.
Of course it's realistic that they have issues. The problem I see is that they don't even bother resolving them.

Quote:
But they like and maybe love each other, they want to be together (otherwise they wouldn't have lasted that long.. it's not that Penny doesn't have other options ).
Penny did have that long dry spell when it came to sex, so I dunno how much of that last sentence is true. She's not very lucky with the guys she ends up going out with - the only decent one I can think of is Stuart.

Quote:
So, eventually they will work through their issues and stay together or they will not be able to deal and will break up. And it's not very realistic to resolve every issue in 20 minutes of an episode. It's a long shot.
First of all, although the episode run time is 20 minutes, the timeline in the show itself is longer - sometimes it goes over a few days. Second of all, being in a relationship myself, I can say that it's not unrealistic at all to resolve an issue in 20 minutes - it does involve talking about very personal things with each other though, which I'm not sure LP are capable of.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Loyal Fan

chemistry86
Let's enjoy our civilized talk till it lasts...

Quote:
Penny did have that long dry spell when it came to sex
I didn't catch on that

I really don't think she is in relationship with Leonard for sex He is not exactly your perfect sexual object LOL I think Penny as a character is supposed to genuinely like(love) Leonard. She's known him for two years. If she wanted to use him for sex she would've probably done it long time ago.

Last edited by lenaguffi; 12-15-2009 at 01:07 PM
Old 12-15-2009, 01:25 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenaguffi (View Post)
chemistry86
I didn't catch on that
"I haven't even had sex in six months!"

Quote:
I really don't think she is in relationship with Leonard for sex He is not exactly your perfect sexual object LOL I think Penny as a character is supposed to genuinely like(love) Leonard. She's known him for two years. If she wanted to use him for sex she would've probably done it long time ago.
I don't think it's what the writers intended for their relationship, but it's all they're really focusing on in their relationship. Heck, when Penny broke the news to Leonard's mother, she said "I'm sleeping with your son", instead of "i'm in a relationship with your son". The sex was also the only issue that was resolved.

Again, not saying that was the intent, but it's coming off like that.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttermilk_Moon (View Post)
"I haven't even had sex in six months!"
It's interesting, because I don't think Penny has a problem to get laid. I don't see her being rejected by men... She must be looking for more than sex

Quote:
I don't think it's what the writers intended for their relationship, but it's all they're really focusing on in their relationship. Heck, when Penny broke the news to Leonard's mother, she said "I'm sleeping with your son", instead of "i'm in a relationship with your son". The sex was also the only issue that was resolved.
Again, not saying that was the intent, but it's coming off like that.
For me it's exciting. I didn't want them to sleep in one episode, confess love in the second and get married in the sixth (of course I'm slightly exaggerating ) I like it that they chose a slow run.. I'm sure though that their feelings are going to be explored closer to the end of the season. All these baby steps are leading somewhere
Closed Thread   Post New Thread