Fan Forum Hero

Switched At Birth Spoilers & Speculation Thread #37

Welcome to the 37th Thread for 'Switched At Birth'

Switched at Birth, a veteran drama airing on ABC Family,
is about two teenage girls who discover that they were accidentally
switched as newborns in the hospital. Bay Kennish grew up in a wealthy
family with two parents and a brother, while Daphne Vasquez, who
lost her hearing at an early age due to a case of meningitis, grew up
with a single mother and grandmother in a working-class neighborhood.
Things come to a dramatic head when both families meet and struggle
to learn how to live together for the sake of the girls.

SEASON FOUR

Switched At Birth is renewed for a FOURTH season

ABC Family Renews Switched At Birth for Season 4

Season 4-A will begin airing TUESDAY, January 6th, 2015, at 9 PM

Episodes:

"I Lock The Door Upon Myself" Air Date: 1/20/15

Bay jumps at an opportunity to showcase her art while Daphne challenges the dorm prankster to a competition in an all-new episode of “Switched at Birth,” airing Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 9:00PM ET/PT on ABC Family.

Bay gets an interview for a long-awaited submission with the Kansas City Artist Showcase to have her art be part of a public display but realizes her current status may prevent her from qualifying. When a dorm resident continues to prank the deaf students, Daphne challenges him to a dorm triathlon. Regina finds herself drawn to an East Riverside coffee house and its owner. A birthday milestone gets John thinking about the next chapter in his life.

Meanwhile, Emmett makes a new friend at film school who gets him a gig on a real production

"We Were So Close Nothing Used to Stand Between Us" Air Date: 1/27/15

Burbank, CA (January 6, 2015) – Emmett surprises Bay with a visit in an all-new episode of “Switched at Birth,” airing Tuesday, January 27 at 9:00PM ET/PT on ABC Family.

Bay feels pressured to maximize her short time with Emmett when he comes for a surprise visit. Daphne is mortified when she does poorly on her midterm exam. Melody and John clash when John encourages Travis to try out for the UMKC baseball team.

Meanwhile, Kathryn asks Toby to help out with her new project.

"At The First Clear Word" Air Date: 2/3/15

Burbank, CA (January 13, 2015) – Bay can’t remember her actions after a night of partying in an all-new episode of “Switched at Birth,” airing Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 9:00PM ET/PT on ABC Family.

After a night of drinking with her friend Tank (guest star Max Adler, “Glee”), Bay wakes to find that she doesn’t remember all the details of the night. She tries to piece together the events of the evening, but as she speaks with different people about the situation, what really happened may not be so clear. Professor Marillo (guest star Bess Armstrong, “My So-Called Life”) invites Daphne to a small gathering of students at her home.

Meanwhile, Lily (guest star Rachel Shenton, “Hollyoaks”) offers to help Toby while he figures out his finances.

"Black and Gray" Air Date: 2/10/15

Burbank, CA (January 20, 2015) – A delicate situation spins out of Bay’s control in an all-new episode of “Switched at Birth,” airing Tuesday, February 10 at 9:00PM ET/PT on ABC Family.

Bay’s very personal matter goes public when the UMKC administration gets wind of the situation, and an investigation is launched. Now the unwitting participants must face the strong opinions of others, and face their own beliefs about what really happened.

Characters/Cast:.

Daphne Vasquez________________________________Bay Kennish
Katie Leclerc __________________________________Vanessa Marano

Regina Vasquez___________________________Kathryn Kennish
Constance Marie___________________________Lea Thompson

Toby Kennish_______________________________John Kennish
Lucas Grabeel_______________________________D.W. Moffett

Emmett Bledsoe
Sean Berdy

2011 Teen Choice Awards Nominees

Choice Breakout Star
Katie Leclerc

Choice Breakout Star
Sean Berdy

Choice Summer TV Show
Switched at Birth

Choice Summer TV Star: Male
Lucas Grabeel

Choice Summer TV Star: Female
Vanessa Marano

2012 ALMA Award for Favorite TV Actress - Supporting Role

Constance Marie

2012 TCA Award for Outstanding Achievement in Youth Programming

Switched At Birth

2013 Teen Choice Awards Nominees

Choice TV Show: Drama
Switched At Birth

Choice TV Actor: Drama
Lucas Grabeel

Choice TV Actress: Drama
Vanessa Marano

Choice Summer TV Star: Female
Katie Leclerc

2013 Peabody Award • ABC Family, Prodco, Inc. • Switched At Birth

Promos/Sneak Peeks:

Switched at Birth - All New Christmas Special Promo - Monday, December 8th at 9 PM

Switched at Birth - All New Christmas Special | December 8 at 9/8c - YouTube

Switched at Birth - All New Christmas Special Official Sneak Peek #1

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

Switched at Birth - All New Christmas Special Official Sneak Peek #2

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

More Coming Soon!

Old 02-12-2015, 06:50 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the new thread, Rachel.
and when we get together
the summer never ends...
Old 02-12-2015, 07:11 PM
Addicted Fan

Tftnt
Old 02-13-2015, 08:18 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the new thread!

Ollibear: I definitely agree that the show was right not to create a storyline centering on “injustice to males.” That wouldn’t have gone over well at all. I just wish that both sides of the issue were given equal focus and respect. As an adult, I can watch the show and pick up on subtleties. But a lot of young, naive/impressionable people watch SAB too. From what I’ve seen on social media, this age group feels the show is painting it as assault. They have jumped on the, “Bay was done wrong” bandwagon and it frustrates me. I love Bay. I hate that she’s hurting. However, Bay and Tank are BOTH responsible for what happened. I just wish there was more dialogue about that. Most viewers won’t come to that conclusion without a detailed scene about it. For example, why not have one of Bay’s moms think it was assault and have one speak to how they can’t be sure and alcohol is the real villain here.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:44 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captivating (View Post)

Ollibear: I definitely agree that the show was right not to create a storyline centering on “injustice to males.” That wouldn’t have gone over well at all. I just wish that both sides of the issue were given equal focus and respect. As an adult, I can watch the show and pick up on subtleties. But a lot of young, naive/impressionable people watch SAB too. From what I’ve seen on social media, this age group feels the show is painting it as assault. They have jumped on the, “Bay was done wrong” bandwagon and it frustrates me. I love Bay. I hate that she’s hurting. However, Bay and Tank are BOTH responsible for what happened. I just wish there was more dialogue about that. Most viewers won’t come to that conclusion without a detailed scene about it. For example, why not have one of Bay’s moms think it was assault and have one speak to how they can’t be sure and alcohol is the real villain here.
I just saw a movie that kinda reminded me of SAB. it was about some pictures getting out that a girl had posted.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:29 PM
New Fan

Quote:

I love Bay. I hate that she’s hurting. However, Bay and Tank are BOTH responsible for what happened. I just wish there was more dialogue about that. Most viewers won’t come to that conclusion without a detailed scene about it. For example, why not have one of Bay’s moms think it was assault and have one speak to how they can’t be sure and alcohol is the real villain here.
ICA. I never liked Tank to begin with but he is really getting screwed over here. From the interviews we got before the episodes aired I thought it would be more of a back and forth like you described, and there would be more characters that were iffy about it.

This is the first ep where I really liked Travis though, I think he's shown a lot of character growth...which is more than I can say about Mary Beth. I maybe would have understood Mary Beth's point if she said it AFTER she heard Bay's side of the story, but to just state that Bay shouldn't have put herself in that situation with nothing to go on was kind of ridiculous.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:29 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:

That is what I believe would have been a better way of getting the story across. The average viewer won't dive into messages and pick up on subtle hints. When you have statements like those from Regina who paint it as fact when it isn't fact you'll have impressionable teenagers state it as fact when to them she is the educated grown up and Bay still finding her path in life. And Tank's came across as protecting himself.

How about some discussion from the older ones that doing stupid things whilst drunk and not remembering them (that doesn't involve sex) can also leave you with those same scared feelings and shame. I've had those feelings and it's scary enough to not remember something especially when your friends tell you you did something and it is very out of character. How about some stories that not remembering doesn't mean you passed out at one stage..that it is alcohol induced and it can happen even if you are walking/ talking. How about the story focus on other men rallying around Tank and the injustice that he has had no representative, no proof and yet he is expelled based on Bay's feeling that he shouldn't have slept with her.

If tank's story is not done, I am hoping they do follow suit with the storyline this closely relates to, in suing the college and additionally showing that in the eyes of the law this isn't rape and it is a university decision, not one the courts would rule. I'd also like to see a little more hurt from his side at all that is happening to him given he genuinely cared for Bay. If I were Tank; I'd feel hurt, devastated and betrayed. His life is ruined based on a maybe. I'm trying hard to feel sorry for Bay in that she feels this is not something she wanted and the pressure she has from all sides, but I feel like she has taken little accountability in the fact she chose to drink, that drinks lowers inhibitions and can make you behave out of character, that she doesn't actually remember. I feel that part has been overshadowed by the louder voices in the program that it hasn't come across as well as it could have.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:53 PM
Supreme Fan

I totally agree with those who feel that BOTH Bay and Tank made mistakes that night. As an adult, I just shook my head - it's all been one-sided. They didn't attempt to make it balanced and fair. A great scene would have been a follow-up Tank/John scene after the one where John confronted him. He knows Tank wouldn't deliberately hurt Bay ... and Tank looked a furious father in the face and told him exactly what happened. And afterward John clearly left him in one piece, without beating him up. That means that John, even as Bay's father, could see where Tank was coming from. It doesn't mean he'd blame Bay either, but he'd have more insight into what happened that night - Bay had a fight with Emmett, went to a party, drank, and slept with Tank. Tank drank too, and somewhere in the events of that night, the two gave each other signals and had consensual, drunken sex. LW even said that Bay may very well have given Tank a "yes" that night ... she just can't remember.

Interestingly enough, Emmett was pretty close to having sober, consensual sex with Skye. It seemed to be implied, since he mentioned something about discarding the past and looking to the future and leaned in to kiss her. I wonder if that will come up soon ... since Daphne caught Skye in Emmett's bed/room.
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 02-13-2015, 09:42 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes&FredFan (View Post)

Interestingly enough, Emmett was pretty close to having sober, consensual sex with Skye. It seemed to be implied, since he mentioned something about discarding the past and looking to the future and leaned in to kiss her. I wonder if that will come up soon ... since Daphne caught Skye in Emmett's bed/room.
Maybe THAT is what they fight about in the next episode...
Old 02-14-2015, 07:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

they both did make mistakes.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:46 PM
Supreme Fan

Maybe that's what we see in the finale - that Bay goes to LA to tell Emmett that she wants him to move on, live life, and they bid each other farewell. Just wondering if they're going to keep the setting based in KC and focused on the girls/Kennish family. Seems like Emmett has become more of a minor character, and that Travis/Ryan is getting more storylines - college, familial bond with Melody, baseball team/bonding with John, etc.

Interesting that Emmett was talking about looking to the future and not the past ... and then the only reason he went back to KC to see Bay is after Daphne said that Bay had been raped. I don't feel that rape is an adequate word - dual irresponsibility (Tank and Bay) seems to fit the circumstances better IMO.
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 02-15-2015, 04:01 AM
Part-Time Fan

I don't recall Emmett kissing Skye.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

whos skye?
Old 02-15-2015, 12:44 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailpolishchick2 (View Post)
I don't recall Emmett kissing Skye.
Skye is that girl who's with Emmett in LA at film school. She kissed him and initially he pushed her off because of his girlfriend. Just kind of happened and they got over it, still are good friends. In the last episode, Emmett invited Skye to his room to watch a DVD. After finding out about Bay/Tank, he was talking to Skye about looking to the future and not looking back at the past. They were leaning in toward each other (as if to kiss) and that's when Daphne showed up.
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 02-15-2015, 01:29 PM
Dedicated Fan

I rewatched the last episode (as tbh I was doing a few things the first time round). I noted that in Bay's interview she never stated that she didn't remember what happened and if I was the interviewer, I heard it was not consensual. The not remembering if it was consensual is a very different slant on events. I don't know if that was deliberate! Show a high level investigation with no delving into details vs a court of law that would cross examine and interrogate.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread