Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Passionate Fan

Stargate Universe S&S #1 Welcome to a Brand-new Universe!

photo courtesy of Scythe.

Stargate Universe has now aired the first half of it's first season. Part two of season one will begin airing in 2010.

Fanlist
pink & white cookies
WyldIce

Updates in normally in blue, however, this whole post has been revamped, so I'm going with the episode titles only. (A whole page of blue is a bit hard to look at).

Episode Spoilers:
1.11 "Space"
Written by Joseph Mallozzi
Directed by Andy Mikita
  • "Using a piece of Ancients technology, Colonel Young accidentally ends up on an alien vessel, and then, suddenly, finds himself back on the Destiny. No one actually believes him, and thinks that his brain is manifesting these hallucinations as a result of a hiccup with the technology. Then, however, the Destiny drops out of FTL drive, and an alien ship arrives! Our people try to communicate with it, and the aliens respond, but then the Destiny is attacked!" — Joseph Mallozzi, Official Stargate Magazine
  • "This story not only deals with the shipboard dynamics on a small scale, but also the bigger mystery of who these aliens are, and what they want from us. There are lots of little twists and turns; and things that were set up in earlier stories pay off in this one. It's a very action-driven episode, and also our first big space battle story. One of the neat things about it is that we leave the door open for certain things to follow. The smaller story arcs aren't necessarily tied up in a neat little bow before the end credits. In lots of episodes, we close the door on one story aspect, but open a window or a bunch of windows on several others, and in that regard, the end of 'Space' segues nicely into 'Divided.'" — Joseph Mallozzi, Official Stargate Magazine

1.12 "Divided"
Written by Paul Mullie
Directed by Felix Alcala
  • "It's the military versus the civilians. The thing is, the military has been in charge by virtue of the fact they're military. However, the civilians on board didn't sign up for this and are now asking themselves, 'Why am I taking orders from these people? They're making life and death decisions and some of us are not surviving their decisions. Why don't we get a say? This should be a democracy.' Then, of course, there's the other side of the argument, the quasi-military way of looking at things, which says, 'You need a strong leader and you need someone who can make fast decisions without having to consult with everyone, each and every time.'" — Paul Mullie, Official Stargate Magazine

1.13 "Faith"
Written by Freelance Writer (revised by Carl Binder)
Directed by William Waring
  • "I think we have an ability to reach a huge audience and take these questions that we could experience; race, religion, cultural boundaries and it won't offend anybody because we're talking about aliens and we're not talking about specific religions. We do have an episode coming up called Faith and it explores the idea of faith and possibly the Ancients as saviours. We're not talking about a Messiah of one particular religion, we're speaking about the idea of believing that something greater than us exists and I think that's a really great topic to talk about and not to go over to war over. So yeah, it's absolutely my favourite part of the genre. We are military based as well and we've got to watch yourself in that regard, but I think it's safe to say that you can sort of challenge that and I think we see a little bit of that too, again in Faith when some of us are like "what are we doing?" you know, "why are we here?" and you kind of go back and forth, you then have the realisation that we need a ruler we can't have a majority vote, it's not going to work that way, but does it? And I think that transcends to a lot of the issues that we have going on in the world right now." — Alaina Huffman, Moviehole interview (August 2009)

1.14 "Human"
Written by Freelance Writer
Directed by Robert C. Cooper
  • Rush subjects himself to an experiment involving the ship's computer and flashes back to the time when he was first being recruited into the Stargate Program. He's forced to relive a personal tragedy that he never really handled emotionally before.

1.15 "Lost"
Story by Robert C. Cooper
Screenplay by Martin Gero
Directed by Ronn Schmidt
  • Trapped on a planet in rubble and left for dead, Ronald Greer must do everything he can to save himself. His ordeal brings back tragic memories of his past with his abusive father and loving mother. (from Spoiler TV)

1.16 "Sabotage"
Written by Freelance Writer, Barbara ??
Directed by Peter DeLuise
  • One of the FTL drives has overloaded and exploded. Was the failure caused by the drive's being the weakest of the twelve, or was the damage caused by a saboteur?

1.17 "Pain"
Story by Brad Wright
Teleplay by Carl Binder
Directed by William Waring
  • "Brad then [pitched] out [his revised] notion for an [idea] he’s been [batting] around for a [while] now. A great [premise with] an [intriguing] mystery at [its] core, a wonderful [opportunity] for one of our characters, all wrapped up in an [ultimately touching] theme." — Joseph Mallozzi (March 16, 2009) "This one looks like it’s going to be a lot of fun and Carl is looking forward to it." — Joseph Mallozzi (June 3, 2009)

1.18 "Subversion"
Story by Brad Wright
Screenplay by Paul Mullie
Directed by Alex Chapple
  • Earth's Stargate Program isn't the only group in the Milky Way that's interested in the Ancients' Destiny. What's worse, this long-time foe may have a spy among those closest to the Icarus project.
  • From audition sides: Commander Kiva is with the Lucian Alliance. She is aware of the Destiny and has a list of all the people who are aboard it. She is also aware of the long range communications devices that the crew of the Destiny have been using to keep in touch with the people back on Earth.
  • The implication is that there is someone who is involved with the Stargate Program, and the Destiny in particular, who has been spying on the Lucian Alliance's behalf. Fingers are pointing to Col. Telford. Rush swaps bodies with Telford at a time when he is in the presence of Kiva and Dannicus. They torture him with a small taser-like gun, which with continued use will eventually cause death. Kiva doesn't believe that Telford is really Telford, and after some severe torture, she hopes that whoever is occupying Telford's body finally identifies himself. She's ruled out the use of brainwashing technology since she's not sure about how that would work when someone is occupying a body not his own.
  • A witness to Telford/Rush's torture is Varro, who is sickened by it and turns away.
  • In the meantime, Young challenges Telford, who most likely is in Rush's body, concerning the suspicion that he is a Lucian Alliance spy. [It's not certain that Telford is indeed the spy, but even if he is, he could still be unaware of it, since Kiva admitted to having brainwashing technology, which is most likely the same kind used by Ba'al when he converted several Jaffa and even NID Agent Malcolm Barrett. These spies had to be triggered in some way and even after the fact, will still not be aware that they are indeed brainwashed. (See 9.14 "Stronghold" and 10.04 "Insiders".)]
  • Kiva's arc continues in "Incursion Part 1" and most likely, "Incursion Part 2", since the breakdown indicates that hers is a three-episode arc.
  • Jack O'Neill and Daniel share at least one scene together in this episode, both conversing with Young concerning the fact that some things were never foreseen and thus never prepared for. Unorthodox procedures are basically the only way to solve the problem that they are discussing (we're not sure what the problem is, unless, of course, it has to do with identifying the spy and stopping the Lucian Alliance from their plan to take the Destiny for themselves).

1.19 "Incursion Part 1"
Directed by Andy Mikita
  • An enemy from the Milky Way has boarded the Destiny and has taken hostages. Is it possible that they know how to get back or have they stranded themselves as well?

1.20 "Incursion Part 2"
Directed by Andy Mikita
  • "The second script is a robust 53 pages (52 full) and contains what is, without a doubt, the biggest HOLY #%&@! ending I have ever written. I mean, I knew what was going to happen but, as I was writing toward it and the different pieces of the story were falling into place, I decided to go with a little something different in the lead-up and…well…it’s quite the eyebrow-raiser. Actually, the double eyebrow-raiser. Hell, the truth is, you don’t have enough eyebrows to make it work. Trust me." — Joseph Mallozzi (August 4, 2009)
  • Amanda Tapping guest stars

General and Cast Spoilers:

MGM & Sci Fi press release (August 2008):
After unlocking the mystery of the Stargate's ninth chevron, a team of explorers travels to an unmanned starship called the Destiny, launched by the Ancients at the height of their civilization as a grand experiment set in motion, but never completed.

What starts as a simple reconnaissance turns into a never ending mission, as the Stargate Universe crew discovers the ship is unable to return to Earth, and they must now fend for themselves aboard the Destiny.

The crew will travel to the far reaches of the universe, connecting with each of the previously launched Stargates, thus fulfilling the Destiny's original mission. Challenges will arise though as the ship comes into range of Stargates placed centuries ahead of the Destiny and the crew is unable to control the ship's navigational schedule. If someone is left behind, there is no way to go back for them, adding to the drama of encountering new races, enemies and adventures.

Spoilers come from a variety of sources, but thanks to Joseph Mallozzi’s blog and Stargate-SG1-Solutions for a good portion of them.

Last edited by pink & white cookies; 12-06-2009 at 10:08 PM
Old 02-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the thread

Chrissy |
Old 02-24-2009, 06:15 AM
Passionate Fan

You're welcome!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:32 PM
MST Manager

Thanks for the new thread.

I'll add this to Jennifer's listing of shows.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Passionate Fan

Thanks NikNak.

I've been scouring the web for more information, but nothing new has developed. I'm off to read Joseph Mallozzi's blog in hopes of something new...

If anyone finds the casting information for the two female leads, can you please post it?
Old 02-27-2009, 05:36 AM
New Fan

Here's more casting news on the show:

'Stargate' exclusive: 'ER,' 'Smallville' alums join cast | Stargate Universe | Ausiello Files | EW.com
Exclusive: 'Stargate' snags Marc's 'Ugly Betty" BF | Stargate Universe, Ugly Betty | Ausiello Files | EW.com

None of the cast is what I expected, so I'm very curious to see how they all come together in their roles.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:08 PM
Passionate Fan

Hey thanks for the casting news! I'll update the opening post to reflect it.

I've also found this article (which is now mentioned in the opening post)

Lou Diamond Phillips and Alaina Huffman join Stargate Universe.

Let's keep the updates/news coming!

A bit of speculation here, I'm thinking with someone of Ming Na's status cast as Camille Wray, we'll be seeing more of Ms. Wray than we were first led to believe. Thoughts?

Last edited by pink & white cookies; 02-28-2009 at 06:24 PM
Old 03-07-2009, 11:10 PM
Passionate Fan

I've gotten really behind, so I haven't had time to look for more info. I'll try and do some scouring in the next couple of days.

There are some general comments JM makes about the new cast I might bring over too.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:12 AM
Part-Time Fan

Huh. That cast is... weird. I'm sure they'll grow on me though.

On the other hand... I'm still pissed that they cancelled SGA. I sort of blame SGU. It better be damn good to make up for the loss of my favorite show!
Old 03-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Passionate Fan

Well good news I found today that Peter DeLuise is the director of episode 4, Fire.

They're casting some pretty strong names, and they have a history of quality show making, so I'm hoping a lot of people give them a chance.

BTW, welcome to FF Sierra H! If you are a fan of SGA (and SG-1) there are a couple of threads discussing those I can point you to, should you desire.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:50 PM
MST Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink & white cookies (View Post)
Thanks NikNak.
Sure.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Passionate Fan

Sci Fi (soon to be SyFy--what's up with that?) will be airing a sneak peek of SGU during Ark of Truth and Continuum. I've changed the opening post to reflect that.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Hey, just found that:

Quote:
Mitch in Austin, Texas: What's going on with Stargate Universe?
Lots of dying, that's what! Robert Carlyle gives us the Stargate scoop: "In the first three hours [of the first episode] there are three deaths. By episode six, there is a suicide, so people are really struggling up there. Of the first six episodes, the first three are all in one [story] called "Air." The next one is called 'Fire,' the next one is called 'Earth,' and the next one is called 'Water.' What makes this different from the previous Stargate franchise pieces is that it's a lot darker."
Source: E!Online

Dead people where ever you look.

And once again I had to laugh as I read the titles.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Passionate Fan

SG-1 started off with a bunch of kidnappings, and a few deaths, so will this really be all that much darker?
Old 04-15-2009, 08:01 AM
Passionate Fan

Thanks to Jen (Scythe) for bringing this to my attention.

'Stargate Universe' nabs guest stars