Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2017, 02:51 AM
Elite Fan

I think this may be why he's so broody.
Quote:
Jughead is like the old friend you had that you might have lost contact with, but within that period that you lost contact, stuff just went wrong. He has a really strong moral fiber, lets very few people in, and has a profound nostalgia and respect for a once golden version of himself, his life and the town. I think he just wants to be loved, very, very bad.
Plus I wonder if his Dad is a bully to him? I mean his Dad is the leader of The Southside Serpents, and what if while Alice is mentally abusive to Betty, Jughead's Dad is physically abusive to him.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:04 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane eyes (View Post)
The second episode was a lot better than the pilot. I'm fine with Veronica being like Blair Waldorf because I loved that character a lot, but in the pilot it was almost like the dialogue was trying too hard to make her seem like Blair. In episode 2 they seemed to be able to strike a good balance and it wasn't as obvious.
I try not to see her that way cause she is my least fav character on any tv show other than Joey potter. I think their similarities are surface. Veronica actually seems to be a nice person.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:28 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I personally don't think any of the Gossip Girl characters remind me of any of the Riverdale characters. I can see a Dan/Serena and Jughead/Betty parallel a bit but I don't see Archie as Nate or Veronica as Blair. I didn't even know Nate existed on Gossip Girl. He was a speck on the wall that was easy to miss. At least Archie is a bit more visible, lol. I also think Veronica is a lot nicer than Blair.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:40 AM
Elite Fan

She definitely is nicer. She's actively trying to be a better version of herself while Blair always felt she was perfect the way she was. I like the Veronica is looking to improve on her flaws. The only similarity with Blair I noticed was the dialogue/references she kept making in the pilot. It was too much for me, but in episode 2 they toned that down and really grounded those characteristics. She's already becoming more fleshed out and doesn't remind me of a discount Blair Waldorf the way she did in the pilot.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:38 AM
Elite Fan

There may be some similarities between Betty/Jughead, and Joey/Pacey. Just like Joey Betty is the girl next door, who has a secret crush on her best friend. Plus they both have dysfunctional relationships with their families, and Joey is short for Josephine, while Betty is short for Elizabeth. Just like Pacey Jughead is best friends with the main character, also both of them uses humor and sarcasm to relate to people, and just like Pacey Jughead may have a dysfunctional relationship with his Dad as well.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:09 PM
Elite Fan

I can see similarities with Jughead and Pacey, but not so much with Betty and Joey. That might be my bias of not liking Joey (or DC all that much tbh), but Joey was a "tomgirl" while Betty doesn't appear that way. I think the only similarity that share is that Joey loved her best friend and then dated his best friend while Betty loves her best friend and will apparently start dating his.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
She definitely is nicer. She's actively trying to be a better version of herself while Blair always felt she was perfect the way she was. I like the Veronica is looking to improve on her flaws. The only similarity with Blair I noticed was the dialogue/references she kept making in the pilot. It was too much for me, but in episode 2 they toned that down and really grounded those characteristics. She's already becoming more fleshed out and doesn't remind me of a discount Blair Waldorf the way she did in the pilot.
TBH I always got the sense it was the reversed that Blair was some knock off wanna be version of comic Veronica. But, I am glad they've toned down the quip with her and just let her be more of her own character.

yeah Betty does not give me Joey vibes. Lili's looks also give me a sorta Serena vibe.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:40 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
TBH I always got the sense it was the reversed that Blair was some knock off wanna be version of comic Veronica. But, I am glad they've toned down the quip with her and just let her be more of her own character.

yeah Betty does not give me Joey vibes. Lili's looks also give me a sorta Serena vibe.
It's definitely possible that Blair's character was modeled after the comic version of Veronica. I could see that from what I remember as a kid.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:51 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I can see similarities with Jughead and Pacey, but not so much with Betty and Joey. That might be my bias of not liking Joey (or DC all that much tbh), but Joey was a "tomgirl" while Betty doesn't appear that way. I think the only similarity that share is that Joey loved her best friend and then dated his best friend while Betty loves her best friend and will apparently start dating his.
Well I'm not really a fan of Dawson Creek, but after seeing that video where TV Guide compared the RD characters to the DC characters, I decided to do some research on Joey/Pacey. And I thought it was interesting that in DC, Joey/Pacey was the ones with dysfunctional families, because it seems in RD Betty/Jughead may be the ones with dysfunctional families. In the comics Betty is like a tomboy, also I think Lil may of said that Betty is a tomboy, and that she likes to get her hands dirty.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:06 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Interesting comparisons.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:18 PM
Obsessed Fan

When I saw Betty/Archie/Veronica in the pilot, I immediately thought Joey/Dawson/Jen because the pilot dynamic of the triangle had a similar dynamic to early JDJ. Betty and Joey I would both file under the girl next door trope, but they emanate somewhat different energy imo. Betty so far has appeared conventionally feminine (overtly nice and polite, loves “girly” colors [pink, as she herself pointed out in 1.02] and “girly” activities [cheerleading]) in a way Joey wasn’t at the beginning. But if the actress said otherwise, I guess we’ll soon see those other sides of her.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Okay true.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:53 PM
Elite Fan

Well it seems on Thursday they may be done filming the season finale.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:17 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Awesome.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:36 PM
Elite Fan

Well I thought this part of this interview from Vulture was interesting.
Quote:
Why is Jughead the narrator?

He’s more objective than the rest of the town. He is now, especially within this universe, a character that fits on the outside of his society, and I think that gives him an interesting perspective on the inner workings of it. It gives him the perfect point of view to say, “This person’s crazy, this person’s not crazy.” But I also think he’s the narrator because it flatters him. I think Jughead’s a selfish character. I think he really is. I really do feel like Jughead tries to influence people based on his own understanding of what they should be and his own understanding of himself. It’s quite vain to think, I’m so cool and on the outside of society that I can write about everybody. That’s not common at all among teenagers. [Laughs.]
Sprouse Says CW's Archie Show 'Riverdale' Is Trump Antidote
Closed Thread   Post New Thread