Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2016, 10:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for that but I wonder if they just took the description for the second episode and reworded it. I don't think Mike's career is over. He's in the twilight years of his career but unless they're going to make him a coach, they're going to have him keep playing.

Quote:
Well I for one think that they have enough to work with without the scandal of Ginny dating her team's captain
Oh sure. But I also think it depends on if we're talking about one season or five (pleeez pick up ratings). Because there's tons of stuff to cover in this one season but five seasons would mean there's room for a lot of different stories.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycutt (View Post)

Thanks for the goodies.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:56 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Well I for one think that they have enough to work with without the scandal of Ginny dating her team's captain, and one who is almost twice her age. I think this is a very different situation than most workplace romances. Sport itself is not a conventional workplace and most industries dont only have one woman recruited. The show isnt just about Ginny either, I would think some of the supporting characters: her family, employers, teammates will have side plots.
I understand but we're talking about a tv show, first and foremost. I imagine that there are very few writers who reject certain stories because there is already enough drama. Even if that were the case, that's what "slow burns" are for. Again, I'm not advocating or expecting them to hook up any time soon. They will have to bond and develop an intimacy, whether or not they ever turn romantic anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static Waves (View Post)
I am a bit surprised the first episodes didn't address race at all, and focused on the female aspect. I wonder if that will be explored later
Well there was that little nod to Jackie Robinson but yeah, they didn't really address it. Someone actually pointed out in a review that the writers missed an opportunity to highlight what an extraordinary achievement this was for a black woman. And it's not even something that needed to be explicitly detailed. It could have come in the form of Oprah or Michelle Obama sending her flowers or a note or her being compared to Serena Williams instead of Kim K or Hillary. Alas, the pilot was written by white guys, lol. We'll see if race is indeed addressed at some other point.

Last edited by scorpio_chick; 09-27-2016 at 11:07 AM
Old 09-27-2016, 02:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

I do wonder if they are going to make Mike the coach at some point, especially since they fired the coach in the pilot. I'd rather see him play though.

I do think at one point, Blip and Ginny had something. They were particular to show Blip's reaction when the other guy mentioned him sleeping with her. It was probably a drunken hookup at one point, but I don't think it will go anywhere in the present. It's a pretty soapy angle to cause present drama between Ginny and Evelyn more than anything else.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I would not like if Blip and Ginny had a past because good female friendships are so rare.

Quote:
I do wonder if they are going to make Mike the coach at some point, especially since they fired the coach in the pilot. I'd rather see him play though.
They didn't fire the coach...yet. The owner hinted at it to the GM but it hasn't happened yet. And it sounds like the coach is going to try to save his job in the upcoming episodes.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

Maybe its just because I was bred on soaps, but I feel like the pan in on Blip's face was like a writing on the wall moment that something happened between them and that it would be coming out eventually. I hope I'm wrong on that one too tbh.

I'd be more interested to see an ex of Ginny.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:21 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static Waves (View Post)
I am a bit surprised the first episodes didn't address race at all, and focused on the female aspect. I wonder if that will be explored later
Well gender is the biggest barrier and major issue here, all men of all races are accepted in baseball. Im sure they will tackle on her challenges as a black woman but race doesnt have to be at the forefront of everything.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:22 AM
Absolute Fan

I would agree that her being a woman is the biggest issue here but her race shouldn't be downplayed. The fact that she's a black woman breaking this barrier *is* a huge deal. It's tough enough being a woman in a predominantly male environment but it's even tougher being a black woman. Yes, there are baseball players of different races in baseball but it's still perceived as a "white sport." A current black baseball player recently came out and said exactly that. If a man sees it that way, how much harder do you think it would be for someone like Ginny? Now, that isn't to say I want the show to make a huge issue out of it (the pilot lowered my expectations even more.) but that doesn't negate how significant it actually is.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:50 AM
Fan Forum Star

I think they are (for now) focusing on the gender thing. Most of the interviews that come out by Kylie and MPG don't even mention race. It's kind of an odd angle to take, downplaying that...
Old 09-29-2016, 11:36 AM
Addicted Fan

It's kind of weird to think of baseball as a predominantly white sport since it's huge in Asia I guess PoC aren't really interested in it in US? I'm curious why that is... Anyway, IA her race shouldn't be ignored, especially since the show is so heavily focused on the media's reactions to Ginny.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:05 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
It's kind of weird to think of baseball as a predominantly white sport since it's huge in Asia I guess PoC aren't really interested in it in US? I'm curious why that is... Anyway, IA her race shouldn't be ignored, especially since the show is so heavily focused on the media's reactions to Ginny.
Huge in Asia, Caribbeans too, possibly Latin America.

As for POCs in USA not being that much into Baseball, possibly because American Football and Basketball are options too and very popular ones. Maybe these two have done a good job at being accessible and having an entertaining culture than baseball have. Im sure they are other factors too. Baseball is still a multi cultural sport though, doesnt have to matter much where the latino, black, asian players come from.

@ParsD Thanx for sneek peek, I have seen at least 5 other from spoilertv but I dont know how to link them.

Last edited by Honeycutt; 09-29-2016 at 02:44 PM
Old 09-29-2016, 02:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the tweet.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:56 PM
Dedicated Fan

'Pitch' Sneak Peek: Mark-Paul Gosselaar and Kylie Bunbury Awkwardly Bond on the bus

http://www.dailymotion.com/2b79cec8-...9-f70d15bbcdf4

Last edited by Honeycutt; 09-29-2016 at 04:17 PM
Old 09-29-2016, 07:50 PM
Absolute Fan

So...how about that soapy turn? I knew Ginny and Mike would be a part of it but I have to say, I'm surprised that they are already so blatantly hinting at more between them (not that I'd mad about it lol). I'm not feeling Mike and Amelia at all and how messy this could possibly get. I don't even care much for Amelia as a character and this definitely isn't helping.

Overall though, I think this may have been a better episode than the first. LOVED Ginny's mini evolution and the flashbacks with her brother. (Still wondering where he is?) The side story with Mike was interesting too, and of course his scenes with Ginny...they really are great together. And Blip and Evelyn were totally adorable. I was impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParsD (View Post)
Not so much POC but black people, specifically. lol It would be weird if you're looking at it from a larger or international perspective but imagine it from the POV of a black kid growing up in America. Baseball in the US is a sport that is predominantly white, with the number of black players having reached an all-time low years ago. We can talk about why that is, all the factors involved but that is basically why it's perceived as a "white man's sport" (exact words of Adam Jones, who currently plays in the majors.)
Old 09-29-2016, 11:36 PM
MST Manager

Quote:
'Pitch' Sneak Peek: Mark-Paul Gosselaar and Kylie Bunbury Awkwardly Bond on the bus

http://www.dailymotion.com/2b79cec8-...9-f70d15bbcdf4
Thanks.