Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2014, 11:44 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flora the mermaid (View Post)
I think it's just as you said, characters who are normal in a supernatural environment can be a breath of fresh air. but depending on the viewer, it can also be boring as hell and a been-there-done-that sort of thing. There is also the pet peeve with characters who think they know everything, repeating their profession every five minutes, and the cliche normal girl trying to change a monster is just really old, so it's easy to see why viewers complain. But as I said, it's the opposite for other viewers. So I still see your point.

They were discussing the fake propping in tvd thread earlier, if you know that your shows are full of characters doing horrible things, then you shouldn't pretend these characters set good examples for viewers, it's stupid.
You're right, and there are definitely endless and repetitive cliche's in the supernatural world. I think JP has a real gift for recycling from other shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParsD (View Post)
I don't have an issue with older women romancing younger looking guys (die hard River/Eleven fan here). But I think the fact that Cami seems older does change the nature of the story. Teenagers acting dumb over a sexy vampire is understandable since they're twits anyway. But someone well educated like Cami who is an adult woman should just plain know better. And if she does hook up with Klaus, that should be a downfall for her character in terms of her sanity, emotional stability, self respect... But we obviously know that's not gonna happen.

It annoys me that Bonnie is too good for a vampire lover, but somehow Cami is getting with the most vicious of them? Like what even?
I guess this is just where I must have perceived their 'past' differently.. Eg; When Klaus was erasing her memory about her brother, I kind of saw that as a kind and sincere gesture on his behalf... And as I said before, maybe its my poor memory, but I cant really remember a time where I thought, ****, you're an ******* Klaus in terms of Cami/Klaus anyway, obviously he's done more than enough ******* deeds in general though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmbacon (View Post)
I get you have to have a different level of forgiveness for horrible acts on a supernatural show. Otherwise you would literally hate everyone . I mean if I couldn't look over the fact that my favorites characters are usually murderous bastards (Klaus, Eric, Spike, Angel, Crowley, etc.) then I would be completely doomed .

I have no issue rooting for the human "underdog" on a show full of supernatural creatures. It always depends on how they're written though. Xander and Giles from Buffy were humans I loved, Stiles from Teen Wolf, Fred from Angel, Chloe from Smallville, even Matt from TVD isn't all that bad. The biggest thing is that human characters in a show surrounded by supernaturals need to have a bigger than normal personality and be relatable in someway. I don't get that vibe from Camille.

I find her boring. She is literally just there for me taking up screen time. She has no personality and every time the writers try to get me to care about her (her sob story, her fighting against compulsion, her losing her uncle, her having a romance with Marcel, etc.) it makes me annoyed rather than interested. Plus her constant condescending attitude about being oh so smart when really she probably just read a wikipedia page on psychology is headache inducing.

There were compelling human characters on this show, Father K for example, who was a badass. He had so much more story to tell, but instead of exploring him they killed him off to make room and give purpose to a pointless character. Camille just isn't connecting with the general audience. I'm not saying she doesn't have fans - clearly she does, but most of the fandom is bored of her. It also doesn't help that she dresses and acts like an old woman (how does this help get her to be relatable to the audience?) and the actress herself is obnoxious and rude to the fans.

My opinion of Camille has nothing to do with shipping either. I was never a Klaroline fan, but never minded them. I think Klaus and Camille is just gross. He abused her and tormented her (even though I don't much care) and somehow she looks that all over and has a connection/feelings for him? No. Just no. If anyone is in desperate need of a therapist it's her. As I said on a supernatural show there needs to be a different level of forgiveness than normal, but when you have a female character that is promoted as a strong willed woman who doesn't take crap from anyone/has no fear of being a human in a supernatural town and yet is perfectly fine making moon eyes at the man who raped her mind it is disturbing. Because Klaus did violate her mind and she seems to be ok with ignoring that because he's hot...doesn't scream a strong female character to me.
I love those characters too btw

although I dont agree re; Cami, I definitely appreciate your candour and view on things, that goes for everyone!

One thing I try not to do, is follow the actors themselves... I had no idea about her attitude in real life.. Is it maybe b/c she cops a lot of flack?? Anyway, i do agree that them letting Father K go was a HUGE MISTAKE! I loved him!

R.I.P Nelsan Ellis.. "Being different gives the world color"
Old 10-30-2014, 11:46 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
I get you have to have a different level of forgiveness for horrible acts on a supernatural show. Otherwise you would literally hate everyone . I mean if I couldn't look over the fact that my favorites characters are usually murderous bastards (Klaus, Eric, Spike, Angel, Crowley, etc.) then I would be completely doomed .

I have no issue rooting for the human "underdog" on a show full of supernatural creatures. It always depends on how they're written though. Xander and Giles from Buffy were humans I loved, Stiles from Teen Wolf, Fred from Angel, Chloe from Smallville, even Matt from TVD isn't all that bad. The biggest thing is that human characters in a show surrounded by supernaturals need to have a bigger than normal personality and be relatable in someway. I don't get that vibe from Camille.

I find her boring. She is literally just there for me taking up screen time. She has no personality and every time the writers try to get me to care about her (her sob story, her fighting against compulsion, her losing her uncle, her having a romance with Marcel, etc.) it makes me annoyed rather than interested. Plus her constant condescending attitude about being oh so smart when really she probably just read a wikipedia page on psychology is headache inducing.

There were compelling human characters on this show, Father K for example, who was a badass. He had so much more story to tell, but instead of exploring him they killed him off to make room and give purpose to a pointless character. Camille just isn't connecting with the general audience. I'm not saying she doesn't have fans - clearly she does, but most of the fandom is bored of her. It also doesn't help that she dresses and acts like an old woman (how does this help get her to be relatable to the audience?) and the actress herself is obnoxious and rude to the fans.

My opinion of Camille has nothing to do with shipping either. I was never a Klaroline fan, but never minded them. I think Klaus and Camille is just gross. He abused her and tormented her (even though I don't much care) and somehow she looks that all over and has a connection/feelings for him? No. Just no. If anyone is in desperate need of a therapist it's her. As I said on a supernatural show there needs to be a different level of forgiveness than normal, but when you have a female character that is promoted as a strong willed woman who doesn't take crap from anyone/has no fear of being a human in a supernatural town and yet is perfectly fine making moon eyes at the man who raped her mind it is disturbing. Because Klaus did violate her mind and she seems to be ok with ignoring that because he's hot...doesn't scream a strong female character to me.
YES - to all of this!!! Couldn't have said it better myself.

ETA: I also think that this general dislike of the two female leads is a result of the combination of mediocre writing and unfortunate casting choices. I find it interesting that many of the secondary characters like Davina or Geneviève or even Sophie are/were much more interesting or likeable than Cami or Hayley - because they have/had actual chemistry with the other ators. If Cami had just a little more spunk or livelyness in her and wouldn't be so condescending all the time, she could come across as a much more agreeable character. But she hasn't and that's what makes her boring and dreary. As to Hayley I simply cannot stand neither her character nor the actress at all so I better not go any further...

Last edited by Bellydancer_1; 10-31-2014 at 03:23 AM
Old 10-31-2014, 11:14 AM
Elite Fan

Leelala it's absolutely fine for you to like Camille. No one here is trying to change your opinion - just expressing ours. So I wanted to say thank you for being completely respectful and nice in your responses with our differing opinions. It's sometimes hard to talk/debate when people take other's opinions as almost a personal attack on them so thank you for being mature and thoughtful in your responses .
Old 10-31-2014, 11:58 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Leelala it's absolutely fine for you to like Camille. No one here is trying to change your opinion - just expressing ours. So I wanted to say thank you for being completely respectful and nice in your responses with our differing opinions. It's sometimes hard to talk/debate when people take other's opinions as almost a personal attack on them so thank you for being mature and thoughtful in your responses .
Yeah, at least LeeLa isn't provoking everyone, it's much better when you respectfully disagree with each other.

Our snark can't be helped though I think we're pretty silly when we express hate on certain characters, but at least we give legitimate reasons without provoking their fans.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:01 PM
Elite Fan

Please we provoke plenty of people because some feel, as I said, we are attacking them personally when all we're doing is hating a FICTIONAL character .

Sneak Peek:

Episode #7 is called "Chasing the Devil's Tail"

Quote:
GOING AFTER EVERYTHING ESTHER LOVES — When Klaus (Joseph Morgan) discovers that Elijah (Daniel Gillies) has been afflicted by Esther’s (Sonja Sohn) magic, he heads to the bayou in search of an antidote, but quickly realizes he’s not alone. Armed with intel gathered by Aiden (guest star Colin Woodell), Hayley (Phoebe Tonkin) teams up with him, Marcel (Charles Michael Davis), Cami (Leah Pipes) and Josh (guest star Steven Kruger) and launches a plan to take down Vincent (guest star Yusuf Gatewood) by exploiting his one weakness. Meanwhile, with Esther determined to carry out her plan, Vincent and Kaleb (guest star Daniel Sharman) are forced to reconsider their own strategies. Intrigued by Davina’s (Danielle Campbell) unwavering attempts to create an unlinking spell, Kaleb lets her in on some secrets from his past and brings her to a place he frequented in 1914. Jesse Warn directed the episode written by Carina Adly Mackenzie & Christopher Hollier (#207). Original airdate 11/17/2014.

Photos for episode 6 & 7 here.

Last edited by hurricane eyes; 10-31-2014 at 01:43 PM
Old 10-31-2014, 07:50 PM
Loyal Fan

Oh dear, I hope they are not going to copy TVD now like when they were looking for the cure against a werewolf bite/vampirism.

And Carina co-wrote the episode? Hmmm...
Old 11-01-2014, 11:46 PM
Addicted Fan

Kaleb/Klaus bickering was everything. A few more 'darlings' and Klaus should figure out just who the 'insolent sod' is.

Ep7 actually sounds pretty good after all the recently **** synopsis we've been getting. Hayley/Cami/Marcel & Co. teamed up makes them a lot more tolerable, also condenses their scenes. And seems to be a lot of Mikaelson drama, which is basically what I watch the show for. And Davina/Kolab ngl.

Quote:
Yeah, at least LeeLa isn't provoking everyone, it's much better when you respectfully disagree with each other.

Our snark can't be helped though I think we're pretty silly when we express hate on certain characters, but at least we give legitimate reasons without provoking their fans.
Snarking is fun, and it's harmless unless the person is JP whose writing is under criticism.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:07 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:

Quote:

I try!!! I've had my fair share of outbursts in the past

Old 11-02-2014, 10:53 PM
Elite Fan

Another sneak peek:

Old 11-03-2014, 09:08 PM
Elite Fan

My episode review:

Quote:
So finished the episode and wow loved and hated it.

Klaus - Badass mofo as usual, but ugh the scenes with Camille and trying to save her were just terrible. He was hilarious with Koleb and also loved his confrontation with Mikael.

Elijah - Dude... I felt bad for you. Having to relive all the horrible things you blocked out is hard, but damn you have almost as bad of issues as Klaus. He at least remembers his victims and embraces his nature while you just clean up and try to forget all about being a killer. I'm excited to see how this will play out since I would have thought he of all people would be all for body swapping and not being a vampire anymore.

Hayley - Meh. Just kinda there. Didn't mind your scenes with Marcel and fighting off Mikael (at least it's more believable than you being a million years pregnant and fighting him), but not much happening in this episode for you.

Marcel - Cute scene with Davina and liked your scenes with Hayley and protecting Klaus, but again not much happening for you.

Davina - Gurl ! I love you so hard. That was some badassness happening and I'm glad you gave Koleb hell for lying. But damn the chemistry with you two . Seriously the only Original ship I think I've had (aside from Klefan ).

Koleb - The sass alone was perfection. Just amazing and perfect. Would have loved for Davina to have seen the way you were treated by your siblings in flashback/visions...hope in the future. Miss my Nate .

Mikael - Too hilarious. It's like the writers just took everything people said about Camille on twitter and used it for his lines. Wish that you mentioned how damn bored you were talking with her, that would have been awesome. Loved his speech about his reasons and justifications on hating Klaus. Not agreeing with any of it, but it was some powerful acting by Sebastian. He was just amazing this episode. Need him and Esther to reunite ASAP.

Esther - I miss Mama Original. I hope she comes back in true form because as scary as Lenore is as Esther (better than the teen girl) I liked her before she was possessed. Also Esther revealing that Elijah killed Tatia and not her was pretty shocking, but anti-climactic at the same time. Maybe the repercussions will be bigger and better than that reveal .

Finncent - Guh he's such an a-hole and I love it. So much better than having the personality of paint drying.

Camille - I seriously would like to see your credentials because there is no way you are a licensed psychologist.

Flashbacks/Tatia - I thought her epic romance was with Klaus and Elijah was the weirdo stalker, but I guess they retconned that too. Not gonna lie though it makes more sense that she would be attracted to Elijah than Klaus since he was viewed as weak because of Esther's spell. The hottest chick in the village doesn't want the weak guy. Sorry.

Overall:

Not bad, but not great considering most of the episode was about saving the dumbest character ever. I swear Camille is making me hate her more than Elena...which is crazy.

Promo for next week:

Old 11-03-2014, 09:08 PM
Elite Fan

Double post .

Last edited by hurricane eyes; 11-04-2014 at 10:57 AM
Old 11-04-2014, 02:31 AM
Absolute Fan

Loved your little review, you know i dont agree with everything but it still put a smile on my face!!

Also thought it was pretty cool that they addressed Elijah's OCD!

Old 11-04-2014, 06:03 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
My episode review:
THIS for pretty much everything.

I love the backstory we're getting this season. Elijah killing Tatia was a nice twist imo, because it makes sense given how wild and confusing the newly turned Mikaelsons were. And Mikael's POV was so welcome. And he totally loved his wife.

And I love how it took Klaus a second to recognize Kol. Now can they mention how insane he went over his death?

But ugh, I didn't think I could hate anyone more than Hayley, but Cami takes the cake now. She's making Klaus stupid the way Hayley made Elijah stupid, and I love Klaus more than Elijah so...
Old 11-04-2014, 10:59 AM
Elite Fan

Sadly I was the biggest Elijah fan until this show happened. He's a doppleganger now - I'm sure of it . Klaus hanging around Camille is making it painful to watch him too. Just gross.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:54 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParsD (View Post)
THIS for pretty much everything.

I love the backstory we're getting this season. Elijah killing Tatia was a nice twist imo, because it makes sense given how wild and confusing the newly turned Mikaelsons were. And Mikael's POV was so welcome. And he totally loved his wife.

And I love how it took Klaus a second to recognize Kol. Now can they mention how insane he went over his death?

But ugh, I didn't think I could hate anyone more than Hayley, but Cami takes the cake now. She's making Klaus stupid the way Hayley made Elijah stupid, and I love Klaus more than Elijah so...
Yes to all of this, I couldn't agree more!
And that short recap was awesome, just what I thought of the characters in this episode.

Also I loved to see Nina in this episode - finally an actress on this show who's got charisma and who can act - and who has got great chemistry with Daniel.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread