Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2014, 01:19 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flora the mermaid (View Post)
We should be sorry...we're supposed to respect our elders, especially when they're setting great examples for women

Oh well.
Wait - what elders? Isn't Cami supposed to be in her early twenties???
Old 10-30-2014, 01:19 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellydancer_1 (View Post)
Wait - what elders? Isn't Cami supposed to be in her early twenties???
Camille is in her 40s, but she's played by a 60 year old .
Old 10-30-2014, 01:27 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmbacon (View Post)
Camille is in her 40s, but she's played by a 60 year old .
Old 10-30-2014, 02:08 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japril (View Post)
I hope Cami and Klaus have sex.
I'm sure it will happen down the road, maybe even at the back half of the season.

I'm preparing for the backlash of insults!!! AND I know Cami gets A LOT of hate, BUT I think she's a breath of fresh air from all the boring little teeny boppers we see on CW shows
Its like just b/c she doesnt look 15, she's old LOL She always stands up to Klaus, she's smart, I think she's very pretty too!
The very first conversation they had about the painter in the square was one of my favs. She's not judgey or self righteous like Caroline, which is probably why I like her as a better match for him. She's not a brat or afraid to call him out on his BS without being high and mighty. I love her development since finding out about vamps and the way she handled the loss of her brother and uncle! JMO!

also...
I think its pretty funny when people talk about morals and feminism etc in a show like this!! theres nothing realistic about it, which is why I personally can forgive what has been 'done' between characters and look at it from a simple entertainment perspective. i'm not going to go out and let some guy abuse me just bc of things that happen on a show if this is where females get their relationship advice I feel sorry for them!

Anyway, just my two cents. Dont shoot me

R.I.P Nelsan Ellis.. "Being different gives the world color"
Old 10-30-2014, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leelala (View Post)
I'm sure it will happen down the road, maybe even at the back half of the season.

I'm preparing for the backlash of insults!!! AND I know Cami gets A LOT of hate, BUT I think she's a breath of fresh air from all the boring little teeny boppers we see on CW shows
Its like just b/c she doesnt look 15, she's old LOL She always stands up to Klaus, she's smart, I think she's very pretty too!
The very first conversation they had about the painter in the square was one of my favs. She's not judgey or self righteous like Caroline, which is probably why I like her as a better match for him. She's not a brat or afraid to call him out on his BS without being high and mighty. I love her development since finding out about vamps and the way she handled the loss of her brother and uncle! JMO!

also...
I think its pretty funny when people talk about morals and feminism etc in a show like this!! theres nothing realistic about it, which is why I personally can forgive what has been 'done' between characters and look at it from a simple entertainment perspective. i'm not going to go out and let some guy abuse me just bc of things that happen on a show if this is where females get their relationship advice I feel sorry for them!

This is great. Thank You
Old 10-30-2014, 04:07 PM
Master Fan

Quote:

also...

Lol I doubt anyone cares about morals in here when they're supporting characters like these. It still doesn't make it an excuse to root for grandmas making out with the guy who controlled her brain with puppet strings though. If you wanna say, the hell with morals for that, it's perfectly fine, but let's not pretend it isn't gross.

And until her universal reception improves, I don't see that happening until season 3 or 4 (if this even gets renewed that far).
Old 10-30-2014, 04:38 PM
Master Fan

This show is losing me .....oh well
Old 10-30-2014, 05:58 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Lol I doubt anyone cares about morals in here when they're supporting characters like these. It still doesn't make it an excuse to root for grandmas making out with the guy who controlled her brain with puppet strings though. If you wanna say, the hell with morals for that, it's perfectly fine, but let's not pretend it isn't gross.

And until her universal reception improves, I don't see that happening until season 3 or 4 (if this even gets renewed that far).
Well I say hell with morals when were watching a supernatural show. And she's far from a grandma in my opinion... nothing gross about it.. they are immortal and sleeping with people thousands of years younger than them, do we call them pedofiles? or is it ok bc they 'look' young? where do we chose the line that doesnt get crossed? If I wanted to look at it that way, I just wouldnt watch full stop!

Old 10-30-2014, 06:16 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Well I say hell with morals when were watching a supernatural show.
Don't we all. These shows aren't designed or meant to send valuable messages, if anyone wants to use it as influence then they're kind of crazy.

Quote:
And she's far from a grandma in my opinion... nothing gross about it.. they are immortal and sleeping with people thousands of years younger than them, do we call them pedofiles? or is it ok bc they 'look' young? where do we chose the line that doesnt get crossed? If I wanted to look at it that way, I just wouldnt watch full stop!
Actually, I wasn't calling it gross for that reason (despite the fact that she does look older than everyone besides Esther and Mikael, sorry, she looks like an aunt who came to visit), I have shipped a fair share of pairings where one character is/looks older than the other, so I don't find this gross at all.

What I find gross is exactly what I said in the post, that she set aside the fact that she was brainwashed like a puppet by this guy, right before finding out and declaring war on him, and now she wants to be his best friend. These shows may allow us to overlook morals, but I'm not going to root for a character who lacks self respect. You can't convince me that she has it, when she's blaming herself for a baby's death that she had nothing to do with and slept around to get the grief out her system.

The whole reason I brought up feminism is because I was referencing the show runners who have literally said in videos/interviews that they believe this character is a great influence on women. Clearly, you me and hopefully a majority of viewers aren't dumb enough to follow what these characters do, but it is very sad when a writer puts a lot of misogyny into a show and claims her characters are feminist. Let's admit, we know that's far from true.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:40 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Don't we all. These shows aren't designed or meant to send valuable messages, if anyone wants to use it as influence then they're kind of crazy.

Actually, I wasn't calling it gross for that reason (despite the fact that she does look older than everyone besides Esther and Mikael, sorry, she looks like an aunt who came to visit), I have shipped a fair share of pairings where one character is/looks older than the other, so I don't find this gross at all.

What I find gross is exactly what I said in the post, that she set aside the fact that she was brainwashed like a puppet by this guy, right before finding out and declaring war on him, and now she wants to be his best friend. These shows may allow us to overlook morals, but I'm not going to root for a character who lacks self respect. You can't convince me that she has it, when she's blaming herself for a baby's death that she had nothing to do with and slept around to get the grief out her system.

The whole reason I brought up feminism is because I was referencing the show runners who have literally said in videos/interviews that they believe this character is a great influence on women. Clearly, you me and hopefully a majority of viewers aren't dumb enough to follow what these characters do, but it is very sad when a writer puts a lot of misogyny into a show and claims her characters are feminist. Let's admit, we know that's far from true.
Yep a lot crazy!!!

fair enough but I also cant be convinced she doesnt have self respect. I guess I dont worry as much about things or maybe my memory just isnt that good I just really like her as a character, i think she's different

And yeah, its def a problem that the writers try to prop up bad behaviour and use them as idols! But who cares about the writers anyway, half of the time their 'message' doesnt come across on screen haha

Old 10-30-2014, 08:09 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Yep a lot crazy!!!

fair enough but I also cant be convinced she doesnt have self respect. I guess I dont worry as much about things or maybe my memory just isnt that good I just really like her as a character, i think she's different

And yeah, its def a problem that the writers try to prop up bad behaviour and use them as idols! But who cares about the writers anyway, half of the time their 'message' doesnt come across on screen haha
I think it's just as you said, characters who are normal in a supernatural environment can be a breath of fresh air. but depending on the viewer, it can also be boring as hell and a been-there-done-that sort of thing. There is also the pet peeve with characters who think they know everything, repeating their profession every five minutes, and the cliche normal girl trying to change a monster is just really old, so it's easy to see why viewers complain. But as I said, it's the opposite for other viewers. So I still see your point.

They were discussing the fake propping in tvd thread earlier, if you know that your shows are full of characters doing horrible things, then you shouldn't pretend these characters set good examples for viewers, it's stupid.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:47 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Yeah same. I hope Grami who calls herself a feminist, has sex with the guy who controlled the majority of her brain last year, because if that isn't a good message to women then I dunno what is.
Between Elijah and Cami I don't think the writers even know wtf feminist means. **** me with a chainsaw.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:00 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Well I say hell with morals when were watching a supernatural show. And she's far from a grandma in my opinion... nothing gross about it.. they are immortal and sleeping with people thousands of years younger than them, do we call them pedofiles? or is it ok bc they 'look' young? where do we chose the line that doesnt get crossed? If I wanted to look at it that way, I just wouldnt watch full stop!
I don't have an issue with older women romancing younger looking guys (die hard River/Eleven fan here). But I think the fact that Cami seems older does change the nature of the story. Teenagers acting dumb over a sexy vampire is understandable since they're twits anyway. But someone well educated like Cami who is an adult woman should just plain know better. And if she does hook up with Klaus, that should be a downfall for her character in terms of her sanity, emotional stability, self respect... But we obviously know that's not gonna happen.

It annoys me that Bonnie is too good for a vampire lover, but somehow Cami is getting with the most vicious of them? Like what even?
Old 10-30-2014, 09:18 PM
Elite Fan

I get you have to have a different level of forgiveness for horrible acts on a supernatural show. Otherwise you would literally hate everyone . I mean if I couldn't look over the fact that my favorites characters are usually murderous bastards (Klaus, Eric, Spike, Angel, Crowley, etc.) then I would be completely doomed .

I have no issue rooting for the human "underdog" on a show full of supernatural creatures. It always depends on how they're written though. Xander and Giles from Buffy were humans I loved, Stiles from Teen Wolf, Fred from Angel, Chloe from Smallville, even Matt from TVD isn't all that bad. The biggest thing is that human characters in a show surrounded by supernaturals need to have a bigger than normal personality and be relatable in someway. I don't get that vibe from Camille.

I find her boring. She is literally just there for me taking up screen time. She has no personality and every time the writers try to get me to care about her (her sob story, her fighting against compulsion, her losing her uncle, her having a romance with Marcel, etc.) it makes me annoyed rather than interested. Plus her constant condescending attitude about being oh so smart when really she probably just read a wikipedia page on psychology is headache inducing.

There were compelling human characters on this show, Father K for example, who was a badass. He had so much more story to tell, but instead of exploring him they killed him off to make room and give purpose to a pointless character. Camille just isn't connecting with the general audience. I'm not saying she doesn't have fans - clearly she does, but most of the fandom is bored of her. It also doesn't help that she dresses and acts like an old woman (how does this help get her to be relatable to the audience?) and the actress herself is obnoxious and rude to the fans.

My opinion of Camille has nothing to do with shipping either. I was never a Klaroline fan, but never minded them. I think Klaus and Camille is just gross. He abused her and tormented her (even though I don't much care) and somehow she looks that all over and has a connection/feelings for him? No. Just no. If anyone is in desperate need of a therapist it's her. As I said on a supernatural show there needs to be a different level of forgiveness than normal, but when you have a female character that is promoted as a strong willed woman who doesn't take crap from anyone/has no fear of being a human in a supernatural town and yet is perfectly fine making moon eyes at the man who raped her mind it is disturbing. Because Klaus did violate her mind and she seems to be ok with ignoring that because he's hot...doesn't scream a strong female character to me.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:38 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParsD (View Post)
Teenagers acting dumb over a sexy vampire is understandable since they're twits anyway. But someone well educated like Cami who is an adult woman should just plain know better. And if she does hook up with Klaus, that should be a downfall for her character in terms of her sanity, emotional stability, self respect... But we obviously know that's not gonna happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmbacon (View Post)
I find her boring. She is literally just there for me taking up screen time. She has no personality and every time the writers try to get me to care about her (her sob story, her fighting against compulsion, her losing her uncle, her having a romance with Marcel, etc.) it makes me annoyed rather than interested. Plus her constant condescending attitude about being oh so smart when really she probably just read a wikipedia page on psychology is headache inducing.

All I got 2 say.