Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2017, 04:44 PM
Total Fan

In the Entertainment article Marshall said “The whole issue of Juliette stealing a song came out already. It’s been made public but it hasn’t been resolved,” Herskovitz says. “What’s going to happen as a result of this?” And when it comes to what does happen with Juliette, Herskovitz says, “I think a little bit of a surprise to our audience and I’m looking forward to their reaction to it.” http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/10/nashvill...alflow_twitter

In the TVLine article He explains that "Maddie’s growth over the past season, particularly since her mother’s death, has opened her up and made her “more generous and more aware of the people around her.”

Ok, I'm Hoping both of these statements by Marshall somehow go together. IMO Maddie will have to be the one to resolve this "song-stealing" problem. If Maddie is “more generous and more aware of the people around her,” I'm hoping she will remember all the things Juliette sacrificed for her while she was managing her career. She will have to be the one who forgives Juliette for her rash decision. Nobody else can, only Maddie. And since she has been closed-mouthed about it to her father and the world, I hoping this will be what Marshall was talking about when he said the result of their conflict is going to be something “I think a little bit of a surprise to our audience and I’m looking forward to their reaction to it." Which could be a good thing because maybe Juliette would catch a break.

And then there’s the little fact that “somebody kisses somebody in this,” Herskovitz says, though he won’t reveal either party involved. The only people who this could apply to is Deacon, Avery, and Daphne. Deacon will not be the one. He is still in the grieving process. Avery is more likely. Only because that would be an under-handed thing for the writers to do to bring Juliette down even more.......But I don't think it will be Avery. Hoping he's not that easy to be taken in for a second season by a woman who is as easy to read as an open book. So, I think the one who will be kissed is Daphne, even though I think she's a little too young and immature in that department. But Please Lord, Don't let it be Avery who gets kissed unless he is kissed by Juliette who has flown out to be with him or that he has had enough of the shallow free-spirit and gone home to be with his family.

Last edited by nashville fan; 08-10-2017 at 08:13 PM Reason: fixed sent. structure
Old 08-10-2017, 06:00 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the info
Old 08-10-2017, 07:16 PM
Loyal Fan

Deacon might’ve been taken mightily aback by the moment in Nashville‘s Season 5 finale when Alyssa kisses him on the lips outside The Bluebird, but co-showrunner Marshall Herskovitz saw it coming from the moment the bespectacled strategy guru first walked into Highway 65.

Nashville Season 5 Photos

Launch Gallery
“It was our plan to do that scene all along. From the moment we introduced Alyssa, one of the things we said was that she was going to kiss Deacon,” the executive producer tells TVLine. “But what we had in mind for that kiss was very different from what you saw.”

RELATED
Nashville Finale: Charles Esten, EP Weigh In On That Surprising Kiss
He explains that, in the original concept, Alyssa came on a lot stronger, and that the smooch was her way of making Deacon acknowledge the sexual tension that had been building between them during the season. “It was Rachel [Bilson] herself who said, ‘We haven’t played that. That’s not the relationship that has happened between us.’ And we realized she was totally correct.”

Instead, “We wrote to the Alyssa that emerged, as opposed to the Alyssa we thought she was going to be,” he says. “And that has a lot to do with who Rachel Bilson is and how she comes off on screen.”

Even on the day of shooting, star Charles Esten recalls, the liplock wasn’t an absolute sure thing. “We shot it both ways,” he says — with and without the kiss — “and they were just going to wait and see if it worked or not.”

RELATED
Nashville Sets Season 6 Premiere
Herskovitz says he’s satisfied with the finished product. “It was a combination of [co-executive producer] Liberty [Godshall] and [series creator] Callie [Khouri] came up with that wonderful line— I really don’t remember [who] it was — where she said, ‘I just see people’s pain too much. It’s just exhausting.’ It was so beautiful,” he says. “It makes you just love her. This wasn’t coming onto him, this was actually feeling for him and who Alyssa was with Rachel playing her.”

The finale marked the end of Bilson’s guest-starring arc; Herskovitz declined to comment on whether Alyssa will be around when Nashville returns. Meanwhile, the season-ender made a point of showing Deacon and Jessie lingering over a slightly-more-than-friendly embrace, possibly paving the way for the widower to find love in Season 6. (Read our finale breakdown with Herskovitz for more on finding the right pacing in the Deacon-Jessie story.)

RELATED
Fall TV Schedule 2017: What’s on When? And Versus What?
“Kaitlin [Doubleday] is fantastic, and I’ve really enjoyed these scenes,” Esten says. “She was playing what I was playing: Two broken people that just happen to be around these other people that artistically they click with, and that they understand and feel for.

“And also, I like where it ends up, which is: Who the heck knows where it ends up?” he adds, laughing.
Nashville Finale: Charles Esten, EP Weigh In On That Surprising Kiss – TVLine
Old 08-10-2017, 07:18 PM
Loyal Fan

The record label Rayna Jaymes worked so hard to build may be in shambles, and if it does survive, it’ll do so without one of its marquee players. Still, Nashville showrunner Marshall Herskovitz says, we should consider the Season 5 finale a win… for Juliette, if no one else.

Nashville Season 5 Photos

Launch Gallery
Even though Ms. Barnes spends the end of the hour wondering if she’s irrevocably messed-up, “She also does this remarkable thing to redeem herself,” the EP tells TVLine. He’s referring to Juliette’s pulling herself out of the running for an American Music Award and outing herself — via morally questionable journalist Mackenzie Rhodes — as having stolen Maddie’s song, while simultaneously using the power of the press to shame Zach into (probably) sticking with Highway 65.

RELATED
Nashville Sets Season 6 Premiere
“If you look at her across the season, she survives a plane crash. She heals herself. She finds God. She has failure in her career. She goes through so many difficult things in this year and finds the strength in the end not just to do the right thing but at great, great cost to her career,” Herskovitz adds. “To me, it shows growth in her character, no matter how miserable she might feel about it. She manages to do something really selfless at that moment. That’s what I love about her.”

In a moment, we’ll hear more of Herskovitz’s thoughts on the season-ender. But first, here’s a quick rundown of the crucial highlights:

* Zach plays hardball by emptying Highway 65’s bank accounts and turning off its electricity, forcing the company to set up a makeshift office at the studio. Kacey Musgraves comes by to hang out. It would seem like a party, except for Deacon’s fuming all over the place. When he finally figures out what’s going on in Zach’s head, he gently confronts the tech whiz, whom he’s realized hasn’t left “because you love it here and you don’t want it to end.” Deacon pitches a true partnership, where they make decisions together, but it’s unclear what the label’s future will be.

RELATED
Nashville Finale: EP Talks Avery/Juliette Reunion (and Rings!), H65’s Chances
* When Deacon finds out what went down between Juliette and Maddie, he angrily informs Juliette that she’s no longer a Highway 65 artist. Maddie later loses the AMA to Katy Perry, but happily tells her dad that she feels “free.”

* Scarlett and Gunnar break up again. I did not think that was possible after they’d already broken up three times in the past two episodes, but maybe this one will stick?

* Upon learning about what Juliette did to make things right with Maddie, Avery drives home to Nashville in a terrible storm to hug his woman. She says she loves him, and it’s clear they missed each other a lot.

RELATED
Fall TV 2017: Your Handy Calendar of 100+ Season and Series Premiere Dates
* Will and Zach break up.

* Alyssa kisses Deacon outside The Bluebird, shocking him. She later explains that she felt like he “needed” it. (Hear what star Charles Esten had to say about that scene here.)

* Deacon and Jessie hug at one point, and it seems like they both acknowledge for a moment that there might be something brewing between them. Daphne is still wary of the new woman in her father’s life, but she seems to be becoming friends with Jessie and Brad’s son, Jake.

Read on for Herskovitz’s answers to a few of our burning questions from “Reasons to Quit.”

RELATED
Stranger Things Season 2: Nashville Vet Will Chase Joins Cast as [Spoiler]
TVLINE | Deacon and Jessie have a lovely friendship building in the back half of this season. Were you tempted to speed it up or slow it down even more?
I would say there was more conversation and even disagreement about the speed and nature of that relationship than anything we dealt with all year. And that was not just among the writers, but among the actors, as well. The idea of Deacon moving on was so triggering to so many people. Should he? If he did, what would it look like? How long would it take? That sort of thing. Frankly, we were never clear, in our own minds, what this relationship was. It’s not like we had a master plan.

I have to say this is closer to the kind of work that Ed [Zwick, co-showrunner] and I have done in all our other series that in some way, over time, was improvisational… in the sense of, well, what’s going to happen between these people? We don’t know. Let’s see what it feels like. We felt that [series creator] Callie Khouri summed it up the best one day when she said, “These are two people both of whom are carrying around such pain themselves that there’s just no way for them to be in a relationship right now.” Once she said that, it clarified for us what we were doing. And then there’s what happens when you cast the right person and what happens between two people. [Charles] Esten and Kaitlin Doubleday just knew how to play off each other. It was just some fortuitous workings out of circumstance that helped that relationship grow.

RELATED
Nashville‘s Will Chase, Two Others Join HBO’s Sharp Objects Adaptation
TVLINE | Is there a chance Highway 65 will survive into the next season?
Yes. There is a chance that Highway 65 will survive but they’re still facing the same kind of real difficulties record labels face these days. Like Zach says, this is not a charity. It still needs to somehow figure out how to make money. So put it this way: They survived this season. Whether they make it to next season is still an open question.

TVLINE | Are Juliette and Avery married? Divorced? What’s their status right now?
[Laughs] They are actually divorced and not yet remarried. They have decided to start wearing their rings again, which, by the way, perturbed many fans. Like, “Wait a minute, did we miss something?” This is something that the actors felt they wanted to do and I said fine. I didn’t realize it would cause a Twitter firestorm. But they are technically no longer married, even though obviously still very close and in love and very deeply connected to each other.
Nashville Finale: EP Talks Avery/Juliette Reunion (and Rings!), H65’s Chances – TVLine
Old 08-10-2017, 11:17 PM
Loyal Fan

Marhsall and co. explain the rings and whatnot;

Last edited by Crystal222; 08-11-2017 at 04:30 AM
Old 08-11-2017, 06:02 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal222 (View Post)
Marhsall and co. explain the rings and whatnot;
So they are not married.

Btw marshall said "We will introduce two important new characters that we are excited about." As if they didn't already have enough unnecessary characters it will now be even more. Guess this means even less screentime for javery. I doubt the new season will be any better than the previous one as long as marshall is showrunner.

Also Juliette's redemption is ridiculous. i mean how many redemptions did she already have? That is not character growth as marshal pretends that is simply bad and repetitive writing.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:35 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg238 (View Post)
Also Juliette's redemption is ridiculous. i mean how many redemptions did she already have? That is not character growth as marshal pretends that is simply bad and repetitive writing.
Very true. And the fact that the original idea was to have her abandon her family as she did when she has PPD is also bad and repetitive writing. Very terrible since at least she had PPD at the time when she did that.

I'm not sure who is responsible for changing the scenes the way they did but I'm very thankful that they did. I can take this happy ending and let this show continue to sink into the mire next season. I already know from how they're using the alternate end of S5 as their trailer for S6 that they're not going to be doing Javery any favors next year.

And as far as the rings - I'll never believe it happened the way Marshall says it happened. Doesn't jive with common sense. JJ and Hayden wanted to do it (I can believe that) but he had to give permission. And in doing that he didn't ever stop to think, maybe we should write a scene for that? No? Just thought viewers wouldn't notice?? And then afterwards, once he knew we had noticed, why mock us at the writers' panel? If it was such a simple explanation, why not give it before now?
Old 08-11-2017, 07:49 AM
Loyal Fan

Wait, that was an alternative ending for S5? How was it supposed to end? I'm so confused.

One thing I agree about with you, Soup, is taking the happy ending. Before I watched the finale, I thought in my head of certain things that I thought the writers needed to do with Javery. 1.) Avery needed to actually be in the ep (wasn't sure he would be). 2.) He and Juliette needed to be with each other physically and not just on the phone. 3.) It should be happy because S4 ended in such a bad way for them. We, the viewers, needed that happy reunion.

And I was shocked and pleased to see they did exactly what I thought they should do. If the original ending was for Juliette to have run out of the house, leaving her daughter alone, then thank goodness someone nixed that! Why in the world would she do that and why would anyone ever, ever, ever think that kind of ending/scene would be okay?!

ETA: I totally agree about Juliette and redemptions. I want to see fiesty, fiery Juliette, but not where she screws up yet again and has to beg for forgiveness. Didn't S4 end the exact way where Juliette confessed her sins at the Oscars? Yet this season it was right before the CMAs? Doesn't she ever deserve the recognition?

ETA(2): Here's a great review of S5 where the reviewer addresses most of our criticisms of the show.
SHOWBUZZDAILY Season Finale Review: “Nashville” | Showbuzz Daily

Last edited by Crystal222; 08-11-2017 at 08:34 AM
Old 08-11-2017, 09:45 AM
Loyal Fan

Nashville wrapped its fifth season — and first on CMT — tonight with a finale in which the battle for the future of Highway 65 came to a head with Zach effectively shutting it down by draining the label’s bank accounts. Deacon, whose angry outbursts had cost him dearly in the past, was the picture of calm in his face-off with the arrogant tech wiz Zach and talked some sense into him about staying at the label as a partner.

Finally finding out about the Juliette-Maddie song theft-gate, Deacon confronted Juliette. Feeling remorseful, she pushed Zach’s buttons with a threatened expose to help him come around on Highway 65 and withdrew her American Music Awards nomination, publicly admitting that she’d swiped Maddie’s song.

CMT
On the romantic front, the on-again-off-again couple of Gunnar and Scarlett got on the outs again, Avery resisted temptation on the road to return home to Juliette, Will chose his friends over Zach, Deacon and Jessie had a moment but did not act on it while a kiss came out of nowhere, with Alyssa planting one on Deacon in her final scene.

In an interview with Deadline, Nashville co-showrunner Marshall Herskovitz talks about the kiss, the future of Highway 65 and a Deacon and Jessie relationship and gives a status report on two Nashville couples Scarlett and Gunnar, and Will and Zach. He also teases new cast additions for Season 6, which will debut in January, and drops more clues what else to expect next year.

CMT
DEADLINE: Lets start with the last line in the finale. What did Maddie mean by “I’m free”?
HERSKOVITZ: I think it’s summing up the journey she’s made the entire year — the horrible experience of the death of her mother, the pressure on her when she put out the hit song and found out that Juliette had stolen a song written for her. She is nominated for an American Music Award and loses. In some way she feels good about it, in some way, it would’ve been too much too soon. She came out content, I’m free, my life is just beginning, I can do whatever I want.

DEADLINE: Has Highway 65 been saved?
HERSKOVITZ: I don’t want to say about the future but we certainly wanted to resolve this particular problem. It was a real breakthrough for Deacon to rise to the occasion and not get angry when this arrogant young man gets abusive and is screaming at him. Deacon finds the strength and looks and realizes what’s going on. He has grown to a point where he can take a seat, stay calm and see through the screams. That saves the day and for the moment, the crisis has been averted.

DEADLINE: Let’s talk about that kiss between Alyssa and Deacon? Where did that come from, and is Rachel Bilson’s stint on the show over?
HERSKOVITZ: This story arc has ended though we would love for her to come back. I like that scene. I though that was a collaborative moment, Rachel had input in that; it grew very originally from the storyline.

DEADLINE: Really? I did not see it coming.
HERSKOVITZ: She told the truth that it wasn’t really sexual. She sees how tormented this guy is, and she is feeling for him.

CMT
DEADLINE: Has Juliette’s redeemed herself by withdrawing her AMA nomination and helping save Highway 65?
HERSKOVITZ: I think she is one of these people who carries around her worst problems and she never lets go. As she says in the finale, “maybe there is darkness in me.” For her to find strength to own up to what she has done shows that she possess the ability to grow but can’t change who she is, a very troubled person.

CMT
DEADLINE: Let’s talk about the scene between Gunnar and Scarlett, in which she never turns back when leaving the house. Are then done as a couple for now?
HERSKOVITZ:I think it’s been clear that we were watching an ending. It will be interesting to explore two people who have been so incredibly attached to each other, to see how they chart their separate courses in life.

DEADLINE: What about Will and Zach. Is their relationship over?
HERSKOVITZ: I don’t want to say that it’s over as sometimes in love what you say in a moment doesn’t hold true the next day. But their relationship must change in result of what happened.

DEADLINE: Meanwhile, Deacon and Jessie almost kissed but didn’t. Was that in response to fans who thought it was too soon for Deacon to be dating. Is romance still in the cards for these two?
HERSKOVITZ: Jess will be back, I wouldn’t say more. I don’t think Deacon knows what to do. Such a thing can never be easy for a man, who had dedicated so much of his life to Rayna and their relationship. Moving forward will never be linear and simple. How he moves on with life will be part of what we explore next year.

DEADLINE: What else can we expect in Season 6?
HERSKOVITZ: We will introduce two important new characters that we are excited about. And Jessie’s ex, played by Jeff Nordling, will be back as well. He did a great job doing that part. We are going to see some shaping up in careers of various people on the show. Will, Avery, Gunnar and Scarlett will make very interesting career turns.

Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy
‘Nashville’: EP Marshall Herskovitz On Season 5 Finale & Season 6 | Deadline
Old 08-11-2017, 10:06 AM
Loyal Fan

Play Video
Spoiler alert: This post contains plot from the season 5 finale of Nashville.

Nashville ended its fifth season on a high point… for some characters. Not only did Zach and Deacon seem to settle their Highway 65 feud, but Juliette finally redeemed herself, and Deacon left things in a great place with his daughters. However, Scarlett, Gunnar, and Will all found themselves newly single, and then there’s whatever happened with Alyssa and Deacon.

EW spoke with showrunner Marshall Herskovitz about the biggest moments from the finale.

Jessie and Deacon

When asked about that hug, and generally speaking to the evolution of Deacon and Jessie’s relationship, Herskovitz says, “There was a lot of discussion among the writers and even the actors about what direction to go with [the relationship], and I think Callie Khouri was the one who really articulated it best. She said, ‘These are two people who are in such incredible pain individually that there’s no way either of them could be in a relationship at this moment.’ Once she articulated that, it helped us understand how they could become friends.”

From there, Herskovitz says he’s enjoyed watching as the relationship has grown on both fans and actors alike. “I don’t think anybody knew what to think in the beginning, and watching Twitter as each episode goes by, watching people warm up to this woman as they begin to trust her and see what she’s contending with in her own life, it’s been quite a happy experience for all of us.”

JAKE NILES GETTER/CMT
Juliette’s redemption

After a season of struggle and a few questionable choices, it was Juliette who came up with the master plan to save Highway 65 by working with Mackenzie Rhodes on a story. In the end, she sacrificed her own image to save the label, giving Mackenzie the details on how she stole Maddie’s song. As Herskovitz puts it, “We want to believe in the possibility of growth in a person.” And considering how much Juliette has been through this year, from the plane crash to a failed album, he says, “We want to feel that something came of all that. I feel that she earned that moment — the whole season, maybe all five seasons, led her to earn that moment of owning what she’d done.”

The last of Alyssa?

After taking the stage last week, Alyssa’s final scene involved an unexpected kiss with none other than Deacon. And yes, he was just as surprised as the fans. But according to Herskovitz, that kiss scene was first written a bit differently. “It was originally designed to be much more of a sense that she had felt that there was a sexual tension between them from the beginning, but we didn’t end up playing that. So it ended up being something much better, to me, which was this revelation of her character. That speech she gives, which I just adore, where she says, ‘I just see people’s pain too much, it’s just exhausting.’ It made me just love her. So I think it ended up being this incredibly warm, sweet moment.”

When it comes to Rachel Bilson’s future on the show, the official word is that her character’s story has concluded for now, though — as they say — it’s always possible.

Season 6

So, what’s next? “A couple of new characters,” says Herskovitz, who took over as co-showrunner alongside Ed Zwick in season 5, and plenty of new stories.

“What’s amazing is it was much easier to come up with stories for next season than it was for this season,” he says. “We had to make a pivot in this season, and we had to find a different way to tell stories about these characters, and once we established that, we opened up all these new pathways. So many of these people are going to be in different circumstances [in season 6]. Gunnar and Scarlett — what’s that going to be like? What’s Will’s life going to be like? What’s going to happen with Deacon and Jessie, if anything? There’s so many questions going into next year. Questions lead to story, and we’ve got too much story already. We’re actually quite excited about what’s coming up for next year.”
Old 08-11-2017, 01:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the spoiler link.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:33 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
DEADLINE: Has Juliette’s redeemed herself by withdrawing her AMA nomination and helping save Highway 65?
HERSKOVITZ: I think she is one of these people who carries around her worst problems and she never lets go. As she says in the finale, “maybe there is darkness in me.” For her to find strength to own up to what she has done shows that she possess the ability to grow but can’t change who she is, a very troubled person.
This bothers me. They basically erased all Juliette´s character growth and say she has no chance to grow... Great to do to other lead after killing the another

SHOWBUZZDAILY Season Finale Review: “Nashville” | Showbuzz Daily

Thanks for posting this. It´s pretty much summing up my thoughts too...

Last edited by IceTear1; 08-11-2017 at 06:12 PM
Old 08-12-2017, 03:22 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup333 (View Post)
Very true. And the fact that the original idea was to have her abandon her family as she did when she has PPD is also bad and repetitive writing. Very terrible since at least she had PPD at the time when she did that.

I'm not sure who is responsible for changing the scenes the way they did but I'm very thankful that they did. I can take this happy ending and let this show continue to sink into the mire next season. I already know from how they're using the alternate end of S5 as their trailer for S6 that they're not going to be doing Javery any favors next year.

And as far as the rings - I'll never believe it happened the way Marshall says it happened. Doesn't jive with common sense. JJ and Hayden wanted to do it (I can believe that) but he had to give permission. And in doing that he didn't ever stop to think, maybe we should write a scene for that? No? Just thought viewers wouldn't notice?? And then afterwards, once he knew we had noticed, why mock us at the writers' panel? If it was such a simple explanation, why not give it before now?
Soup, I haven't heard or read this anywhere, but so glad they didn't write that into the finale. Where did you get this info? If they had gone there "to have her abandon her family", yet again! that would have been the end for me. That's one of the big things I didn't like about season 5's writing. It all seemed to be rehashed stories from prior seasons...nothing particularly original..... or particularly interesting IMO. (And they changed a lot of the facts in the process.)

Quote:
‘Nashville’: EP Marshall Herskovitz On Season 5 Finale & Season 6 | Deadline

Again sloppy writing! Do these people not realize that they, the writers and showrunners, have the power to do as they will with the character of Juliette Barnes? If they so desire, Juliette can be anything they want her to be! H*ll, she can be an angel if they want. She doesn't have to "possess the ability to grow but can’t change who she is, a very troubled person," because THEY decide that. She can change. All it takes is the stroke of a pen....the touch of a letter key....a "new" idea. It's that simple. All this talk is just rhetoric, just an excuse for Marshall and TPTB to continue to go down this never-ending declining slippery slope of hopelessness and despair for Juliette. It's Old! It's wearisome! MOVE ON! I wouldn't care if I ever hear her apologize again. Her character would not lose her mystery or appeal if she never made another un-thought-out selfish decision again. IMO by them continuing to write her this way, it just shows how uncreative, how unoriginal, and how Boring and Lazy they are.

Last edited by nashville fan; 08-12-2017 at 08:25 AM Reason: changed spelling
Old 08-12-2017, 08:10 AM
Dedicated Fan

I liked this article. Said a lot of what we have been thinking, especially the part where Juliette needs to step up and become the new Rayna while Maddie becomes the new Juliette. This needs to happen!! Juliette is ready to step into Rayna's shoes if the damn writers would just let her. I would love for Juliette to invest in H65 so she could become Deacon's partner instead of Zach. He needs to go.

'Nashville' Season 5: Does the Show Work Without Rayna?
Closed Thread   Post New Thread