Old 07-21-2013, 03:00 PM
Banned

You're welcome!

One more spoilery interview with Bryan Fuller with IGN can be watched there:

Hannibal: Bryan Fuller Interview - Comic-Con 2013 - IGN Video

Enjoy!

During this interiew, Bryan said about Will and Alana

Quote:
"Alana is going to be in a very interesting position, because we saw her really activated toward the end of the season as Will’s champion, and she’s going to continue to be his champion. So I think there’s going to be a beauty in that relationship, where Will knows that regardless of whether she thinks that he’s guilty or not guilty, she will be there for him in some way or another."

Last edited by Ladyfuschia; 07-23-2013 at 06:11 AM
Old 07-23-2013, 05:19 AM
Banned

Reports from comic-con!

Quote:
The Woman In Black writes in for Bloody Disgusting and Dread Central as she took part in roundtable interviews with “Hannibal” series star Hugh Dancy (Will Graham), creator/showrunner Bryan Fuller, director/exec producer David Slade, and exec producer Martha De Laurentiis at San Diego Comic-Con (watch the entire panel). They couldn’t divulge a lot of details, but we did learn enough to whet our appetites even more for the continuing adventures of Dr. Lecter and Will.

Slade kicked things off by discussing the look and tone of the show, which he attributes to Fuller being such a visual writer. Bryan gives them all the pieces to create a mini-horror movie each week; his and the other directors’ job is to ground it in reality. All the episodes are shot in a specific way so that while everyone talks about how surprised they are such a “gory” show is allowed on network TV, audience members really just think they are seeing much more than they actually do. Things are suggested or blurred or shot a bit out of frame to get past the censors but still keep the horror crowd happy and engaged.

Filming kicks off September 10th, and Slade will direct the first two episodes, the Season 2 finale, and possibly more depending on his schedule.

Dancy was up next, and he said we have a fair distance to go before we get to see Hannibal behind bars. Will still has to go through a trial and convince others of his belief that Hannibal is the killer. All of his relationships are fractured, especially with Jack, who is now moving much closer to Hannibal. He’s even separated from his dogs!

De Laurentiis touched upon the trial aspect during Season 2 and said we don’t need to worry about it becoming more of a procedural type show. Things will wrap up fairly quickly in that regard. We’ll learn more stories from Hannibal’s past, including his relationship with Gillian Anderson’s Bedelia Du Maurier. Nothing in the show is filler; themes that were introduced in Season 1 will come back later. There are a few loose ends: We still haven’t seen Abigail’s body, nor do we know exactly where Eddie Izzard’s Dr. Gideon is. And let’s not forget about Miriam Lass. And what about tabloid blogger Freddie Lounds? She’s complicit in Hannibal’s shenanigans, but as a friend who truly cared about Abigail, she want to find out what really happened so she’ll keep digging around.

Fuller provided us with the most “meat” in our discussions. Season 2 has been fully arced out with up to Episode 3 completely written and Episode 4 being broken now. As for when “Hannibal” will return, NBC is still deciding if it will be in the spring (like Season 1) or possibly held until summer, which seems to be all the rage right now.

#SDCC 2013: A Few Tasty Morsels of What’s Ahead in Hannibal Season 2Since Will has no proof of Hannibal’s guilt, the good doctor is feeling safe for now, but he still has to be savvy and stay one step ahead of Will. If Season 1 was all about their bromance, Season 2 is their nasty breakup. Will comes out swinging, and there will be a different dynamic. While he has limited resources, we will see Will’s relationship with Dr. Alana Bloom evolve.

What about guest stars? We’ve heard rumors of David Bowie playing Hannibal’s uncle, and they’re still hoping that will come together. If not, Fuller will “park” the character for a while until Bowie is available. And Gillian is in talks to return – they’re just working on the dates. He said they have a great storyline for her. She’s a good foe for Hannibal and will not fall prey to his traps. How much does she know? How much is she figuring out? That is the stuff Fuller’s most excited about. Despite of them being very cold characters, there’s a very sexy heat between them. When asked if possibly Will might share some moments with Dr. Du Maurier, he said he would love to get those characters in a scene together.

Speaking of sex, when asked about Hannibal continuing to pursue Alana, Fuller said he definitely wants “more sexy” in Season 2. So “stay tuned for who is going to be doing who!”

As for whether Hannibal is a sociopath, a psychopath, or what, Fuller feels Hannibal is unique and uncategorizable – a “total work of fiction.” Hannibal works in a way that he is protecting the beauty of the world. He sees himself as an elitist and “better than,” but he is also capable of caring. His caring for Will is genuine, and part of his radically unorthodox therapy of Will is to get him to accept all parts of himself. Hannibal is curious more than anything else. He is curious about the human condition, how he feels, how other people feel.

With Will in prison and Hannibal on the outside, the roles we’re used to seeing them in have been switched where characters will be approaching Will in the institution and seeking advice on cases. He is kind of taking Hannibal’s place. Fuller called the scenario “inversions that will be really fun to explore.”

Fuller wrapped things up with some remarks about how, after working on this show, he looks at food so much differently now. Yeah, Bryan, so do we! Thanks for messing with our heads; we can’t wait to see what sick and twisted, yet tasty, treats await us next year!
Source
Old 07-23-2013, 09:29 AM
Part-Time Fan

Out of all of the spoilers my eyes set on:

Quote:
...nor do we know exactly where Eddie Izzard’s Dr. Gideon is.
Could it be he's not dead?! Woots!

Thanks for all the SDCC details.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:48 PM
Dedicated Fan

As much as I love this show and want to see the next episode ASAP, I kind of hope they hold the show until summer, as it would likely have less competition and better chance to do better in the ratings and be renewed again.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:11 PM
Moderator Support Team

Thanks for the spoilers .

BRICS
🙏🕯️
🇵🇸 🕊️#stopIsraelgenocide
Old 07-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootlesFTW (View Post)
Out of all of the spoilers my eyes set on:

Could it be he's not dead?! Woots!

Thanks for all the SDCC details.
I think it's a mistake: Gideon's death was confirmed by the characters themselves. Nobody questioned it and i don't see the point ro bring him back as serial killer, Bryan has already actors in minds to play new killers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorkel567 (View Post)
As much as I love this show and want to see the next episode ASAP, I kind of hope they hold the show until summer, as it would likely have less competition and better chance to do better in the ratings and be renewed again.
I agree that this show would do better in summer, but can you imagine how much long and painful each hiatus would be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensen_girl22 (View Post)
Thanks for the spoilers .
You're welcome, Ilda!
Old 07-26-2013, 08:07 AM
Banned

Bryan gave few spoilers in his last interview with AV Club:

Quote:
“One of the things that was really interesting in the books, is the concept of Hannibal’s memory palace, the place where he goes to survive incarceration with the virtual-reality system that exists between his ears. We’ll be seeing Will create his own version of the mind palace over the course of the second season.”
Quote:
So when Hannibal is telling Jack Crawford that Will saw a neurologist and they didn’t find anything wrong with him, that is painting Will in a particular light that puts the focus on him and not his condition, where it could be a bit of a distraction. For Alana, who has been saying all along, “Do not engage Will Graham in criminal profiling, because he’s not necessarily psychologically sound,” and that being dismissed allows her to soapbox it at the end and really sets up an interesting dynamic for those characters in the second season. Because Jack and Alana’s relationship is compromised severely because of Jack pushing Will Graham to the lengths that he did.
Quote:
AVC: This episode brings Abigail’s arc to an end. Was she always going to die?
BF: We made that decision about halfway through the season. She wasn’t always going to die. It was one of those where we were going to kill off one of the regular characters, and the character that we were going to kill off, we felt like it wouldn’t be as devastating for that person to die, because we hadn’t fully serviced that character.

AVC: Can you reveal who you were originally going to kill?
BF: No. Because we may kill them in the second season.

Quote:
Because the audience knows from the first frame, before Hannibal is even onscreen that we are telling the story of Hannibal Lecter, who is going to be caught by Will Graham and incarcerated, Will had to figure Hannibal out in the first season. Otherwise, it would feel like we were treading water and artificially distending the story to accommodate a television schedule, and I wanted each of these seasons to feel like a novel, as opposed to episodic television. It felt like, what a great way to begin the story and then end the story at that point. And end it iconographically with the Silence Of The Lambs shot of coming down the corridor of the Baltimore State Hospital For The Criminally Insane, to that last cell on the left and finding, not Hannibal Lecter, but Will Graham. And know that we are now taking a turn away from the canon that will somehow get us back into canon. But right now, we are departing from the literature into uncharted territory that will be unique to the television show. Then when we circle back into the timeline of the books and get to Red Dragon again, so much will have happened between these characters that will further inform their uniqueness to this show.
Quote:
We knew that there were certain changes along the way, like we were originally going to deal with both the copycat killer and the Chesapeake Ripper in the first season, and then it felt like, as we got further into this season, that the story should be about the copycat killer primarily, and that the Chesapeake Ripper should serve to complicate Jack Crawford’s character. Then we could spike that ball in the second season.
Quote:
Will’s relationship with his dogs is a very meaningful one for me, and I would love to see them reunited in some capacity.
Quote:
I don’t feel like it’s ruining anything for fans to say that we are going to be doing Red Dragon in season four. It’s sort of exciting to think how we’re going to get there and to give those indications of the tentpoles of the story that we’re trying to tell and having three lost novels of the Hannibal Lecter story before you get into Red Dragon seemed like kind of an exciting place to share with the audience.
It’s also acknowledging that so much of the story is known, already, by the audience. Yes, we are going to be getting into Red Dragon in season four, but we are also going to be telling a lot of different stories in our season four that complicate the Red Dragon story and will make it fresh and new. I feel like to give them an understanding and an indication of where we’re going actually helps them place themselves in the story a little bit more, so they know, “Okay, in three years we’re hitting Red Dragon territory, so all of this happens before, so now I understand where we are in the story that’s being told currently.”
Also Bryan tweeted this:

x
Old 07-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Moderator Support Team

Thanks for the news, Imane .

So, that part about Abigail pretty much confirms she´s dead . From what i´ve read so far, it was obvious but i guess i was in denial .
The character they are going to kill may be Freddie? Because she...ups, he dies in the books/movie .

I´m really curious now to see the episodes, especially because of the changes.

That tweet made me so happy .

BRICS
🙏🕯️
🇵🇸 🕊️#stopIsraelgenocide
Old 07-26-2013, 03:06 PM
Dedicated Fan

Does anyone else think the original death could have been Gillian Anderson's character?
Old 07-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the news, Imane .

So, that part about Abigail pretty much confirms she´s dead . From what i´ve read so far, it was obvious but i guess i was in denial .
I'm still convinced he's playing us and she's alive: what he said in the interviews is quite often very different to what is happening in the show.
And he left too much ambiguity in the show about her death, to be credible in announcing suddenly her death.
I think the writers are already planning her return, and Bryan is just trying to hide it.

Quote:

The character they are going to kill may be Freddie? Because she...ups, he dies in the books/movie .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorkel567 (View Post)
Does anyone else think the original death could have been Gillian Anderson's character?
Besides Hannibal and Will, Jack is the only character that he's safe.
Bryan said that they intend to develop more the character that they intend to kill which means, the male characters of the science team are not concerned.
Freddie, Beverly and Alana has been confirmed to have a larger role in season 2 but they all appear in Red Dragon, so i believe the writers will keep them alive until season 4, which is the Red Dragon season under more or less the same form.

Bedelia is then the only option left: she's just like Abigail, an expendable character. She had very few scenes, few interactions with others characters than Hannibal. Some people even thought during season 1 that she was Hannibal's hallucination.
Also Gillian filmed all her scenes in 3 days and let for Great Britain, so they couldn't have her back again to film more. That forced the writers to break down all her arc in one draft and decided if she would die or not immediately, just before Gillian started filming her first scenes for Sorbet.
Since they took the decision to kill Abigail at the same time ( Bryan said We made that decision about halfway through the season ), its possible they sacrified Abigail to keep Bedelia.

That's why they tried so desperately to delay the reveal of informations about her attack: this unwrapped story has became the basis of her arc for season 2. But it felt a little artificial and superficial, because it wasn't the plan.
The first version of Bedelia, who was supposed to be a much older character should have died, but things changed at the last minute when they got Gillian and a character who could be more a match for Hannibal.

Quote:

That tweet made me so happy .

Me too, i believe he will dance with Alana
Old 07-29-2013, 04:14 AM
Banned

Bryan was a guest on the Kevin Pollak's Chat Show and revealed that Dr. Gideon is still alive and that he's talking with Eddie Izzard to have him back in season 2.
(i can't post the link for the source because the interview is not available yet. It's streamed live before the recorded version is upload on YT).

Apparently, the writers avoided to confirm his death on the show to keep this opportunity to have him return.

I'm really surprised because the show gave me strongly the vibe that he was dead, when the writers could just have left it ambiguous

But now that he appears to be alive, we could presume that he must have been seriously injured ( i recall that Will shoot him in the head).
Some rumors say that he will still be imprisoned in the same mental hospital directed by Chilton. Just like Will.

I'm now even more curious about Will's life in the Baltimore State Hospital for the Criminally Insane surrounded by all those killers he helped to catch (Lance Henriksen is supposed to come back too).

Last edited by Ladyfuschia; 07-30-2013 at 01:27 AM
Old 07-29-2013, 05:27 AM
Part-Time Fan

I agree, Ladyfuschia - I thought in the show it was pretty much confirmed that Gideon was dead (I mean, hello, he was shot at point-blank range and they never had any follow-up afterwards), but I'm happy to have him back. I love Eddie Izzard and really liked the role, and I think that they might have him back so that Will has someone familiar & antagonistic to interact with whilst locked up. I can imagine Dr Gideon whispering to Will from the cell next door.

From what we saw in Silence of the Lambs, though, it seems that life in Baltimore State Hospital is very segregated - I wonder if they'll mix it up on the show and have a group therapy session so we can see Will interacting with all of these characters (Lance Henrikson's character included). It's slightly unrealistic to alllow these guys to physically interact, but it would make for an interesting scene.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
I agree, Ladyfuschia - I thought in the show it was pretty much confirmed that Gideon was dead (I mean, hello, he was shot at point-blank range and they never had any follow-up afterwards), but I'm happy to have him back. I love Eddie Izzard and really liked the role, and I think that they might have him back so that Will has someone familiar & antagonistic to interact with whilst locked up. I can imagine Dr Gideon whispering to Will from the cell next door.
I'm satisfied too with Eddie's return but just surprised how the show managed the story of his death. I mean it's clearly a conscient choice from the writers and i can help but associate it with Abigail's death too, which was not shown and for which very ambiguous words where used too.

I never believed in her death because i can't imagine Hannibal accepting to lose such a golden opportunity to re-create his sister. Jack's has suspicions about her since the start, and after Nicholas Boyle's body was found, someone like Hannibal who likes to plan everything in details must have reflected on the possibility of her arrest and made a plan B.

Also, this proves that Bryan doesn't like to kill his characters because he loves to work with his actors; so she will come back.

Quote:
From what we saw in Silence of the Lambs, though, it seems that life in Baltimore State Hospital is very segregated - I wonder if they'll mix it up on the show and have a group therapy session so we can see Will interacting with all of these characters (Lance Henrikson's character included). It's slightly unrealistic to alllow these guys to physically interact, but it would make for an interesting scene.
I see it at a way to compensate the lack of interactions between Will and Hannibal during his imprisonment and trial. To keep Will (and Hugh) on the edge with tense confrontations with very dangerous serial killers is also a way to keep his position as a profiler.

I don't remember if i posted already it but there a link for Hannibal/Bryan Fuller's press conference at SDCC 2013. iI think however that i already posted sum up of it.

Watch Bryan Fuller Interview - San Diego Comic-Con - TV After Dark | TVAfterDark On-Air Episodes | Entertainment Videos | Blip

Last edited by Ladyfuschia; 07-30-2013 at 10:26 AM
Old 07-30-2013, 06:06 AM
Part-Time Fan

Yea, I really didn't expect Abigail to be dead but the fact that they confirmed it leaves me with major question marks. They could always change their minds, or be intentionally misleading us which I wouldn't mind. The nature of a TV show allows viewers more insight than the characters in the show are afforded and thus we often see plot twists coming a mile away, so if they're keeping Abigail's survival a secret to guard some big reveal later & keep us on the same level as the characters (AKA that Abigail is dead in their minds) I can't be mad at 'em.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:33 AM
Banned

Me neither!

We know already so much about the plot because of the books and films, it's always nice to keep some surprise along the way! The cherry on the top!

I wrote few posts ago about Bryan being invited on the the Kevin Pollak's Chat Show.
The full recorded interview is now available!

I expect that a lot of gifs will be made on tumblr. I will post them there too for the ones who want only the best parts!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread