Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2015, 01:19 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisredbeatrice (View Post)
Thanks for the new thread .
It's so exciting that the discussion is starting again.
I know! In spite of the bumps in the road during S2, I'm still really excited to see what they come up with for S3.

And so much of the fun is getting to discuss and speculate here with you guys.

Quote:
My impressions is also that he blames Cameron for everything and kind of hates her at the moment. Joe thinks that he was his true self, authentic and human in S2 and he almost made it to California and then Cameron "screwed" him over. He feels betrayed by all of them, but Cameron set things in motion.
Yeah, I had the same impression. Even if/when he finds out (or if he's already figured out) that Donna helped Cameron come up with the plan, I think he'll still blame Cameron, because she used his feelings for her to trick him into letting down his guard. That's something that he'll find hard to forgive.

I'm also really curious to see how he'll react to Gordon. Will he try to get Gordon back on his team, or will he see Gordon as being on Team Cameron now (even though that's not fair, that's how Joe would see it).

Quote:
I tried to make sense of it for myself and one explanation I found is, that Joe doesn't really know himself what he wants. He wanted some things in his head, things he thought he needed and wanted (redemption, Sara and to settle down) and there were others he really wanted, what his heart wanted (Cameron, Mutiny). This is why a lot of things were not clear, because they aren't clear to him. He wanted redemption and did everything in his power to gain it, but he sought it from someone who couldn't give it to him and decided to be someone he truly isn't without ever realizing or admitting it.
I feel this realization is a backdoor to get some good parts of him back next season. That he was partly deluding himself, also Cameron admitting that she wasn't completely dishonest with him and also learning about Gordon's illness. This will put things in perspective for him.
I feel like once things become clear to him, they will resolve this for the viewers too on screen. They made things so ambiguous in the finale, it was done on purpose and there is more to come.
I like the way you put that...it does make sense that Joe was lost, and it would explain all of the scenes where we weren't really sure what his intentions were. He was trying to be "good," but in the end he could not get past the temptation to be part of the game, or to stay away from Cameron/Mutiny, even when he knew that could be a threat to his relationship with Sara.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:19 PM
MST Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by northboundtrain (View Post)
Oh, okay, I just wanted to ask because I wasn't sure.

If you get the time, let us know what you think -- I'm curious to read other takes.
Sure thing.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It's interesting to see so many people here didn't like the second season because all the critics I follow raved about it and said it made a leap in quality. The raves actually make me want to catch up on the show. The good news is that the critics loving it probably got it renewed.

Once I watch both seasons, I will let you know what I think too.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:20 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethally Floral (View Post)
It's interesting to see so many people here didn't like the second season because all the critics I follow raved about it and said it made a leap in quality. The raves actually make me want to catch up on the show.
Oh, yes, pretty much every critic who dismissed or outright disliked S1 raved about S2. But part of the problem with critical opinion of S1 is that many critics were ready to dismiss the show even before they watched it because they felt that it was going to be a Mad Men rip-off, with Joe MacMillan as a Don Draper clone.

IMO, most of the critical love now isn't really happening because S2's writing is significantly better than S1's -- it's because of the shift in focus from Joe/Cameron/Gordon at Cardiff to Cameron/Donna at Mutiny (which is something those critics had asked for at the end of S1).

Now, I'm not talking about all critics...and I don't think S1 was perfect -- it had some flaws, like many series' first seasons.

But it was really good television, IMO, and much better than most of the critics gave it credit for being.

Quote:
The good news is that the critics loving it probably got it renewed.
I agree with you there...the ratings went down in S2, so the critical love likely played a crucial role in AMC's decision -- AMC probably thinks that the critics will help promote the show when it returns in S3. I hope they do.

Quote:
Oh, yes, please come post about it. You'll have the advantage of being able to watch S2 right after S1 without having to wait, so your perspective would be interesting to hear.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:24 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maud&Danny (View Post)
But does Joe really hate Cameron? I didn't get that vibe at all. Is he really out for revenge? I need to see it to believe it.
This aspect could make Season 3 very interesting. Cause you'd never know what to expect from him in regards to Cameron. He will try get the upper hand, but he might go soft too.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:39 PM
MST Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethally Floral (View Post)
Definitely! We want to hear what you think.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:25 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedrum (View Post)
This aspect could make Season 3 very interesting. Cause you'd never know what to expect from him in regards to Cameron. He will try get the upper hand, but he might go soft too.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I kinda love to see a reverse in their relationship where he's the one being super mad at her (I refuse to use the word hating, cause he could never hate Cameron even if he tried).

"아 아까는 못 받아서 미안해
친구를 만나느라
shy shy shy
Old 01-08-2016, 04:43 PM
Loyal Fan

AMC had a panel at TCA, but no real HACF news to speak of -- not even an airdate (the only airdates given were for shows premiering in April).

Vulture did an interview with some AMC honchos, and this is what the network chief said when asked about HACF:

Quote:
Let’s talk about Halt and Catch Fire. We live in a world where FX can put on Fargo season two, get a lot of acclaim, and the numbers don’t go up, they go down. HBO’s Leftovers had more acclaim this year; its numbers were down. On your network, Halt and Catch Fire blossomed into this critical darling its sophomore year, but once again: no ratings bump. And yet all three shows have been renewed. Are ratings irrelevant now?
CC: What I’m very proud of is being able to build businesses where we can have the permission to measure things individually and really look at their unique attributes. If you would stack up all those shows on those networks you mentioned, and you just looked at one metric — say, live-plus-three-day or live-plus-seven-day — that would be a horribly linear and non-creative way to approach the business. It has to be a balance of different metrics.
And the programming boss had this to say about scheduling:

Quote:
Let’s talk about 2016. What’s does AMC’s programming mix look like in the year ahead? And is it evolving?
JS: We’re very much dedicated to continuing our Sunday night strategy, which is more geared towards millennials and fanboy [viewers] and maybe some genre content. And then, on Monday and Tuesday, we will continue to be committed to great adult dramas. So the mix of Preacher, which will be part of that first lineup that I mentioned, and things like The Night Manager and Broke [working title] are sort of the essence of what AMC always has been, which is this idea of being eclectic by design and embracing both ends of the spectrum. I feel like we’re sitting in a place where we can be pretty confident about ’16.
I thought that bolded comment was interesting. I wonder if they plan to keep HACF on Sunday night or move it to their "adult drama" category on Monday or Tuesday?
Old 01-08-2016, 09:29 PM
MST Manager

Quote:
AMC had a panel at TCA, but no real HACF news to speak of -- not even an airdate (the only airdates given were for shows premiering in April).

Vulture did an interview with some AMC honchos, and this is what the network chief said when asked about HACF:
Thanks anyway.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:50 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Thanks for the article. Sounds good. I'm glad quality is playing now a bigger role in the decision making. They can make money with such shows for years after they finish, while with cheap (low quality) and big rating hits drama it's soon over.

Quote:
I wonder if they plan to keep HACF on Sunday night or move it to their "adult drama" category on Monday or Tuesday?
I just looked up the premiere date for season 3 of Turn and it's on April 25th "TURN: Washington's Spies" Episode #3.1 (TV Episode 2016) - IMDb
They aired the new season of HACF after the Turn season or pretty close to it's season finale. Last year Turn was moved from Sunday to Monday. I don't know if the premiere date is correct or if it will be changed again on IMDB, but if there are again 10 new episodes and they end in June, the new season might start at the end of June or at the beginning of July.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:28 PM
MST Manager

Quote:
I just looked up the premiere date for season 3 of Turn and it's on April 25th "TURN: Washington's Spies" Episode #3.1 (TV Episode 2016) - IMDb
They aired the new season of HACF after the Turn season or pretty close to it's season finale. Last year Turn was moved from Sunday to Monday. I don't know if the premiere date is correct or if it will be changed again on IMDB, but if there are again 10 new episodes and they end in June, the new season might start at the end of June or at the beginning of July.

Thanks for that.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:23 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks from you too!
and when we get together
the summer never ends...
Old 01-13-2016, 06:25 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
I think the Turn premiere date is correct because I remember seeing that same date on a list of fall premiere dates one of the entertainment sites posted after the TCA.

If I had to guess, I would say that Preacher (which is confirmed to be premiering in May) is probably getting HACF's old time slot, so either HACF is moving to a new day and/or time, or it would have to premiere after Preacher finishes its first season.

Either way, I agree with you that I think we're looking at a later summer start date for HACF. I won't mind waiting a little bit longer, though, as long as the change helps the ratings in some way (which I hope is one of the reasons for the change).
Old 01-13-2016, 03:35 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Last edited by wickedrum; 01-13-2016 at 03:54 PM
Old 01-14-2016, 07:02 AM
Loyal Fan

I saw that posted on Tumblr, and while I may be wrong, I took it not as her saying that she was joining the show, but rather as her making a joke about the huge coincidence that she's got movies coming out this year with LP and MD and now, I guess, she's just joined a project with SM and that's why they took the picture together.

Like I said, I could be wrong...it'd be great if I was, because she'd be a cool addition to the show.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread