Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2014, 09:27 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for updating the OP!
and when we get together
the summer never ends...
Old 07-01-2014, 05:18 PM
Loyal Fan

I updated the first post -- added some info about next week's episode and some tidbits from a couple of new Lee Pace interviews:

Lee Pace Likens His 'Halt And Catch Fire' Character To Patrick Bateman, But Not Don Draper
Lee Pace On Playing a Maverick Tech Marketer in ‘Halt and Catch Fire’ - Speakeasy - WSJ

The Huffington Post has an exclusive clip from episode 106 which is pretty interesting -- Cameron and Joe are fighting because she has all these ideas for the PC that he isn't interested in using at the moment. What's strange is that Cameron appears to be showing Joe the small stuffed toy Gordon found in her backpack a few episodes ago. Why that would be relevant to their discussion, no idea.

There's a (hot) promo pic of Joe all wet from the rain, and Gordon is walking around in the rain in the promo -- according to TV Guide's summary of the episode, Hurricane Alicia makes landfall in this episode and that's what causes all of the personal revelations that will be coming about.

In the AMC sneak peek, Joe has called a company meeting to show off the PC -- what's surprising is that Cameron and her coder monkeys suggest that Bosworth be the one to turn it on, which appears to embarrass Joe. Is it because the coders don't like Joe? Or is it because they like and admire Bosworth?

Come to think of it...Bosworth did bond with the coders over the Adventure game, and he previously bonded with Cameron in his office a few episodes ago -- those moments seemed unexpected and touching at the time, but what if they were actually part of a calculated effort on his part to regain control of the company by inspiring the new employees to be loyal to him instead of to Joe?

Or maybe he's just trying to be a good guy, a good boss. That's also possible.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:44 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for keeping up with the OP.
and when we get together
the summer never ends...
Old 07-02-2014, 11:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Synpsis
Quote:
Episode 1.08 - The 214s
The team finalizes preparations for COMDEX; Bosworth makes a sacrifice for the good of the program.

Episode 1.09 - Up Helly Aa
Unanticipated adversaries and increased complications hinder the team's progress.

Episode 1.10 - 1984 (Season Finale)
Gordon and Joe prepare to transport the Giant; a suspicious defect causes a rift in the partnership.
Source:AMC
Source
Old 07-04-2014, 07:42 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for those! Sounds like good episodes.
and when we get together
the summer never ends...
Old 07-17-2014, 06:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Any time.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

tonight's episode was fantastic! i just wish this show could reach it's potential every week.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:56 AM
MST Manager

Thanks for the spoilage and updating the opening post.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:08 PM
Loyal Fan

Sorry I neglected the thread! Thanks CityGal for the episode synopsis -- I updated the first post with information about the (season? hopefully!) finale.

It looks like Donna's trying to get fired from TI in the sneak peek.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:37 PM
Loyal Fan

Just bumping to let everyone know that HACF was officially renewed for a second season set to air next summer. I haven't seen any news about when they'll start production, but I imagine it'll be sometime this winter.

I'll update the thread if there's any news.

For those who have been waiting to watch the show until renewal was certain, you can catch up on all 10 episodes here: Halt And Catch Fire - AMC - Full Episodes
Old 09-02-2014, 08:41 PM
Loyal Fan

We have our first official spoilers for S2!

Mega Buzz: A Blacklist Betrayal, New Girl's New Date and Gotham's True Hero - Today's News: Our Take | TVGuide.com

Quote:
So glad Halt and Catch Fire was renewed! Do you have intel on what Season 2 will look like now that Joe blew things up? — Molly

Don't worry: Joe won't be wandering in the wilderness forever. In fact, even though the producers want to deepen the excellently developed ensemble, Joe will remain first among equals. "Joe for us has always been the reason that we're here," co-executive producer Christopher Cantwell says. "He is the catalyst that enters everybody's life. [Whether] he's a constructive or destructive force, he's the one that everyone is attached to. We want to explore how this guy continues to affect the ebb and flow of these other characters' lives." That said, look for Joe's mysterious backstory to hit the back burner. "We needed to start from the place [of mystery] to get him to the place he ended up," co-executive producer Christopher C. Rogers says.
A lot of the criticism of the show seems to be focused on the characters of Joe and Gordon...for example, I've seen some reviewers suggest that the show ditch both of them and focus on Donna and Cameron's work at Mutiny.

But that wouldn't work for me. This is the first show in a very, very long time where I can honestly say I'm legitimately interested in every one of the main characters. I think they're all multi-layered, they all have their own strengths and flaws, and they all bring something to the table.

So I'm happy to see that Joe's going to continue to be their primary focus, in spite of the criticism leveled against the character. This is one of those rare cases where I think the show-runners are pretty much dead-on with everything they're doing -- where I feel like I understand their choices even when the critics don't.

Whatever they do next with Joe, Cameron, Gordon, Donna, and (hopefully!) Bosworth, I'm on board.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the link
Old 09-04-2014, 04:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by northboundtrain (View Post)
This is the first show in a very, very long time where I can honestly say I'm legitimately interested in every one of the main characters.
how could anyone not find gordon fascinating after he chucked his meditation tape against the wall? OR HIM STEALING THE GIANT!? of course, donna and cameron and mutiny seem like the more exciting option now, but there's so much to be fleshed out with everyone. although, i'm pretty sure it will take a lot for the writers to justify joe's actions in the finale. because him having gordon carjacked was just wrong. and mean. even though i kind of want to believe that joe torching the computers was a twisted salute to cameron, i know joe didn't want his name attached to something with a glitch. like, i'm at the point where i find everything joe says and does as the writers just manipulating me into rooting for him. that aspect definitely has to change.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:20 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGal (View Post)
Thanks for the link
You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by i never learn (View Post)
how could anyone not find gordon fascinating after he chucked his meditation tape against the wall? OR HIM STEALING THE GIANT!?
I know! Some viewers find him boring, but I agree with you that he's fascinating. He's got some realistic/intense flaws, but he's also got some strengths.

One of my favorite moments in the finale was that scene toward the end where Gordon asked his engineers what they should do next. The writers easily could have gone another way by having him celebrate with them and be content with getting rich off of the Giant -- they could have shown Gordon as representative of the past, not the future (i.e. Donna and Cameron).

But in showing that he wasn't happy, that he isn't content with just "faster/cheaper/portable" (as the other engineers are), the writers implied that he's still got the hunger for more. Just like Cameron, just like Joe, just like Donna.

One of the great things about this show (I feel like I keep saying that, LOL) is that these characters provide each other with the things they lack. For example, Gordon and Donna both have dreams to do more with their talents, but we've seen that they need to be inspired/shocked into action by people like Joe and Cameron.

And Cameron and Joe have grand visions for what they can accomplish with their talent, but they need discipline, stability, and meaningful human relationships to help them make those visions into a reality. And those were the things that Donna and Gordon brought to the table, Donna through her mentoring of Cameron and taking on the role of the "adult" at Mutiny, and Gordon through his single-minded devotion to engineering Joe's original vision and refusing to let Joe give up on it when Joe was about to run back to IBM.

Quote:
of course, donna and cameron and mutiny seem like the more exciting option now, but there's so much to be fleshed out with everyone.
Yeah, I definitely want to explore Mutiny, but I think it would be too easy to make them the sole focus, or to have everything go right for them there. So I'd be fine with a split focus -- some time at Mutiny and some time at Cardiff.

And I also want to see Bosworth. If he doesn't return, that'll be the first time the show will have disappointed me.

Quote:
although, i'm pretty sure it will take a lot for the writers to justify joe's actions in the finale. because him having gordon carjacked was just wrong.
See, I thought the carjacking was just a random crime -- like, the car was so new and flashy that the thugs targeted them.

Quote:
even though i kind of want to believe that joe torching the computers was a twisted salute to cameron, i know joe didn't want his name attached to something with a glitch.
I think it was partially due to Cameron, but I think this is also Joe's MO -- it reminded me of the story about how he destroyed IBM's data center the day he left. When he's not satisfied, he destroys stuff and moves on.

I hope we get to find out what Cameron's reaction was to learning that Joe let it all burn and quit Cardiff.

Quote:
like, i'm at the point where i find everything joe says and does as the writers just manipulating me into rooting for him. that aspect definitely has to change.
Sometimes I root for Joe, but other times I'm rooting for the others. It seems to change from episode to episode, or even from scene to scene, which I like. It makes watching more exciting.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Talk about a long wait in-between seasons. Next summer!

AMC Renews ‘Halt and Catch Fire’ for Season 2 | Variety
Quote:
AMC Renews ‘Halt and Catch Fire’ for Season 2

AMC has ordered a second season of drama “Halt and Catch Fire,” to air next summer.

“Halt” had been on the fence for a pickup as total viewership was modest. But AMC execs said the period drama set in the world of the 1980s computer biz had enough of a hard-core following coupled with a generally strong reception from critics to warrant a renewal. Lee Pace, Scoot McNairy, Kerry Bishe and Mackenzie Davis star.

“This is a show about invention, experimentation, and the inherent risks in trying to break new ground – themes that really resonate with us as a network and attracted a passionate audience,” said AMC prexy Charlie Collier. “We have a history of demonstrating patience through the early seasons of new shows, betting on talent and building audience over time. We see that opportunity here and look forward to a second season of ‘Halt and Catch Fire’ from creators Chris Cantwell and Chris Rogers and showrunner Jonathan Lisco.”

With the renewal of “Halt,” AMC has re-upped both of the new dramas introduced this year. “Turn,” about a spy ring in the Revolutionary War, was given a second season order earlier this year.

“Halt” averaged 1.3 million viewers in live plus 7 ratings across its first season, and about 606,000 in adults 18-49. The show wrapped its 10-episode run on Aug. 3.

“Halt” hails from AMC Studios and Mark Johnson’s Gran Via Prods. Johnson exec produces with Gran Via’s Melissa Bernstein, LIsco, Cantwell and Rogers.