Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

I don't have much hope in THATCHER realizing Thatcher is a terrible parent- Thatcher seems VERY comfortable in placing himself in the role of the victim- first Ellis's, and then Meredith's when Ellis was no longer there. He seems utterly incapable of seeing Meredith as his ultimate failure, as the innocent child he deserted. Instead, she is merely an extension of the wife he grew to despise. I don't think he'll ever picture her another way. I'd much rather see Richard and Meredith grow closer- Richard seems to have a true fondness and warmth for Meredith.

What I do hope for, since they insist on bringing him back, is perhaps a realization on both Meredith and Lexie's parts. I refuse to believe Thatcher was actually a perfect parent to Lexie and Molly, despite Molly's claims- you can't abandon one child and then be a perfect parent to others. Something is very, very wrong with you if you can just leave a child behind like that. So perhaps Meredith will see that Thatcher is not the perfect parent to Lexie she believes he is, and that could help her with her own self esteem. Deep down, Meredith clearly thinks what all abandoned children think- that it was her fault. That something was wrong with her. That if he's such a great parent to two other kids, the problem must be her. If she sees that he's NOT a great parent to Lexie, it could help bring her to some understanding.

And on Lexie's side, I think seeing first hand how Thatcher treats Meredith could make Lexie understand why Meredith is very resistant to bonding with her.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Passionate Fan

I rarely need to post here because you spell out my thoughts so perfectly, Cristofle.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:31 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by josebajm (View Post)
No, I was asking because you had some words in spanish in your siggy, so I thought that maybe you were spanish. I am spanish, just so you know.

No, I don't think so. It will be interesting to see, maybe he's there to connect Mer and Lexie, or maybe to forgive Mer for what he did.
Oh, I speak spanish... so if you want to talk, hehehehehehehe. I saw once you saying you are from Spain... which region are you from?
Regarding to Thatcher I think things will be terrible because Ausiello suggested Mer should have self defense classes... I don't know if based on last season or if he is going to repeat his cowardice... I just hope he stay away from her and if he tries anything, wish Derek do something to stop it
Also I don't think Lexie will help them to be close, she may try but Mer is not that open to her specially after last episode...
x
Old 10-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Loyal Fan

Just got the lyrics for the music that ended the episode, when Derek was proposing to Mer. Look at some pieces of it, it really suits the moment....

Sun Comes Up
Artist:John Legend

baby when the sun comes up, i'm gonna be holding you
it's destiny that your next to me, i'm in love with you
oh and baby when i wake up, i'm gonna be there with you, a new day rise i wanna look in your eyes when the sun comes up

Wait a minute baby i'm not through i intend to spend more than one night with you
A love affair that never ends like the old song saids "lets do it again"
Come with me i know you'll stay you'll wake up in the morning to a brand new day
than begins the rest of your life and baby

Verse 3:
When the morning breaks i'll awake and then i won't want you to go
And when you're gone i'll hold on to the memory all day
And baby when the sun comes up yeah yeah yeah
So listen here now i know you've been hurt by the one before i know your pain
And i know you never thought you could love again but i know the way yeah yeah
And i know about your circumstance but love is here at a 2nd chance so take my hand and follow me you'll never wanna leave
Old 10-21-2007, 03:00 PM
Elite Fan

Lovely lyrics and lovely icon
David Boreanaz & Emily Deschanel

Old 10-21-2007, 03:18 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite sadness (View Post)
Mer/Cristina totally are the true love story of the show. They're the only stable, consistent, unconditional love there is. If there are soulmates on this show, it's them.
Amen sister, I love their friendship, if these two didn't love men they could marry each other.

[Quote=Cristofle]:I absolutely do not want that. I don't want that relationship to ever be repaired; I don't think anyone should have tried to press Meredith to do it in the first place. Lexie, maybe. I still don't think Meredith should feel obligated to- DNA does not a family make. But still, Lexie is innocent and there's no real harm in bonding with her. Thatcher? Thatcher is abandoning abusive nightmare. By his own account, he could have fought for her and basically was just like "Eh...no" when the marriage ended, choosing to forget about his daughter and make a new family. He has never been enthusiastic or warm towards her, and there's been every indication he's resentful of her for being Ellis's daughter (often seemingly forgetting she's his own as well). And after the slap and the disowning...no. Thatcher is a toxic presence in Meredith's life. He does not love her, or he wouldn't have done what he did to her after Susan died. She needs to cut him out permanently. If anything, I'd like this visit to show Lexie how her father treats Meredith, and maybe garner some understanding into Meredith's extreme hesitation to get close to her.

NOTHING in the Thatcher/Meredith relationship is on Meredith. NOTHING. She may be an adult, but she is still his child. She is the child in the child/parent relationship, and more to the point the child he abandoned and left with a woman he knew full well was emotionally and mentally abusive. She owes him nothing and he owes her everything.[Quote]

[Quote=Cristofle]:I don't have much hope in THATCHER realizing Thatcher is a terrible parent- Thatcher seems VERY comfortable in placing himself in the role of the victim- first Ellis's, and then Meredith's when Ellis was no longer there. He seems utterly incapable of seeing Meredith as his ultimate failure, as the innocent child he deserted. Instead, she is merely an extension of the wife he grew to despise. I don't think he'll ever picture her another way. I'd much rather see Richard and Meredith grow closer- Richard seems to have a true fondness and warmth for Meredith.

What I do hope for, since they insist on bringing him back, is perhaps a realization on both Meredith and Lexie's parts. I refuse to believe Thatcher was actually a perfect parent to Lexie and Molly, despite Molly's claims- you can't abandon one child and then be a perfect parent to others. Something is very, very wrong with you if you can just leave a child behind like that. So perhaps Meredith will see that Thatcher is not the perfect parent to Lexie she believes he is, and that could help her with her own self esteem. Deep down, Meredith clearly thinks what all abandoned children think- that it was her fault. That something was wrong with her. That if he's such a great parent to two other kids, the problem must be her. If she sees that he's NOT a great parent to Lexie, it could help bring her to some understanding.

And on Lexie's side, I think seeing first hand how Thatcher treats Meredith could make Lexie understand why Meredith is very resistant to bonding with her.[Quote]

I completely agree, ever since Thatch hit Meredith I have felt that there is something off w/him. And I've said it before and I'll say it again, Thatch says that Ellis broke him, blah, blah, blah, but hey, he fell in love w/her for some reason, as did the Chief and he's not a bad guy. Who knows, maybe Ellis knew that she had to keep him away from her daughter.

Going back to Cristina, IMO, I think that she acts the way that she does towards Lexie b/c she feels the need to protect Mer not necessarily from Lexie, but from their father and from that entire familial thing. I mean, she saw it 1st hand how it was for Meredith to let Susan and her father in to her life a little bit, she knows what it took for her to do that and then she saw the affects that Susan's death and her father's resentment and blame had on Meredith. Now, w/Lexie becoming 'friends' w/Derek Xtina doesn't want to see Lexie take him, take the great love of Meredith's life. As much as she told Mer that protecting each other isn't what they do as each other's person, in their own way it is. Let her get her hands on Thatcher, tear him to shreads. But ya, it would be great and eye opening for Lexie to see him thru Mer's eyes.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

Sort of a spoiler, or can lead to spoiler talk...

Trio cast in upcoming TV gigs - Entertainment News, TV News, Media - Variety

Quote:
"Dawson's Creek" alum Joshua Jackson is set to appear in several episodes of "Grey's Anatomy," while Larenz Tate and Carrie-Anne Moss have been cast in upcoming pilots.

Jackson will play a doctor in a multi-episode arc of "Grey's," beginning with this season's 11th episode. Casting reps Jackson's return to episodic TV.
I'm assuming this is the doctor that comes to challenge Derek and Mark, but maybe it's me, I still think of Josh as like, a baby! LOL. I know he's older now, but I don't think it would even be logical to claim he's in his early to mid 40s the way Derek and Mark are. Maybe he's a cocky resident who butts heads with them?
Old 10-21-2007, 03:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

Quote:
Thatch says that Ellis broke him, blah, blah, blah, but hey, he fell in love w/her for some reason, as did the Chief and he's not a bad guy. Who knows, maybe Ellis knew that she had to keep him away from her daughter.
Oh, I now FULLY support Ellis in not being too enthused about Thatcher having contact with Meredith, lol. And the thing is, Thatcher didn't even give the impression that she was that adamant about it. He was like "Eh, she told me not to come around..." It didn't sound like there was some grand threat of a custody fight. And Susan confirmed in a roundabout way that Thatcher hadn't attempted to see Meredith after they got married, which appears to be RIGHT after he divorced Ellis. I don't think Ellis blocked Thatcher at every turn. I just don't think he tried that hard. I'd like to see THAT come out with Lexie; I think a necessary step if Lexie and Meredith are ever going to get closer is an understanding on Lexie's part that Meredith has a reason to be both so resentful towards Thatcher and so cautious. It needs to be "We have the same dad...and that dad sucks." LOL.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::mavie:: (View Post)
Lovely lyrics and lovely icon
Thank you!!!

Loved the icon to! I'm a romantic, and I have hope for MD, even with all of this things we're hearing....

I got a suspicious thought, that maybe, as this new ladie is coming to Derek, is it possible that Joshua Jackson is maybe a new love interest to Mer?
Old 10-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

I hope so. I have no interest in seeing her pine alone for Derek; if he's moving on, so should she.

That said, I doubt it. I get the impression the express purpose of this new Derek love interest is to punish Meredith, which can't work if she has her own love interest. There are three other possibilities: Cristina, Callie, and Lexie. Cristina...eh, I don't know. I can't see it. I'm not even sure why, lol, but I can't. Callie...maybe, but I got the impression they might be heading for Mark/Callie. And Lexie...again, maybe, but putting two new cast members together can be tricky.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Part-Time Fan

I want to clarify I think Thatcher is a horrible excuse for a Father, but I like people to work out their problems. Maybe if he comes in completely sober and groveling for what he did, I'd hope Meredith would be open to some sort of reconciliation like she attempted to have with her Mother.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:51 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristofle (View Post)
Oh, I now FULLY support Ellis in not being too enthused about Thatcher having contact with Meredith, lol. And the thing is, Thatcher didn't even give the impression that she was that adamant about it. He was like "Eh, she told me not to come around..." It didn't sound like there was some grand threat of a custody fight. And Susan confirmed in a roundabout way that Thatcher hadn't attempted to see Meredith after they got married, which appears to be RIGHT after he divorced Ellis. I don't think Ellis blocked Thatcher at every turn. I just don't think he tried that hard. I'd like to see THAT come out with Lexie; I think a necessary step if Lexie and Meredith are ever going to get closer is an understanding on Lexie's part that Meredith has a reason to be both so resentful towards Thatcher and so cautious. It needs to be "We have the same dad...and that dad sucks." LOL.

Did you ever notice that the man doesn't even know how to talk? As you said: "Eh, she told me not to come around...". And as much as I liked Susan, she was his enabler, she always made excuses for him. "That's because he's afraid of you". Please, she should have given him something to be afraid of.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

Her mother raised her. However poorly, however she mistreated her, she still raised her. Thatcher abandoned her. Thatcher is not her father. He's her sperm donor. He's not her family. He never has been. Meredith spent a lifetime with Ellis, in whatever twisted relationship they had. She spent a lifetime LACKING Thatcher. She wouldn't have the kind of connection, or any kind of connection. Blood relations don't make a family. In my opinion, Meredith working out her problems with Thatcher would be realizing everything that happened is his fault and moving on with her life. This man has horribly burned her twice, first with her abandonment and then with his physical abuse and public disowning for something that wasn't remotely her fault.

And part of my issue is that I don't think Thatcher loves Meredith. I haven't ever gotten that impression from him. I think he possibly had some affection for her as a child (though not enough to try to hold onto her), but I think he actually dislikes her now. He sees Ellis when he looks at her. He's always been very cold. There was that twisted scene in S3 where Derek had to try to convince him that his own child was worth it, because he was clearly wavering. So I don't want that kind of person in her life.

ETA: oh, yeah, I've definitely seen that. He's never given Meredith an explanation for what happened that didn't sum up to "I didn't want you" in his bumbling language.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:12 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristofle (View Post)
Her mother raised her. However poorly, however she mistreated her, she still raised her. Thatcher abandoned her. Thatcher is not her father. He's her sperm donor. He's not her family. He never has been. Meredith spent a lifetime with Ellis, in whatever twisted relationship they had. She spent a lifetime LACKING Thatcher. She wouldn't have the kind of connection, or any kind of connection. Blood relations don't make a family. In my opinion, Meredith working out her problems with Thatcher would be realizing everything that happened is his fault and moving on with her life. This man has horribly burned her twice, first with her abandonment and then with his physical abuse and public disowning for something that wasn't remotely her fault.

And part of my issue is that I don't think Thatcher loves Meredith. I haven't ever gotten that impression from him. I think he possibly had some affection for her as a child (though not enough to try to hold onto her), but I think he actually dislikes her now. He sees Ellis when he looks at her. He's always been very cold. There was that twisted scene in S3 where Derek had to try to convince him that his own child was worth it, because he was clearly wavering. So I don't want that kind of person in her life.

ETA: oh, yeah, I've definitely seen that. He's never given Meredith an explanation for what happened that didn't sum up to "I didn't want you" in his bumbling language.

I totally agree, Ellis raised Meredith and in her own way wanted what was best for her daughter. I truly believe that Ellis loved Meredith more than anything, I know that she was a workaholic, etc. but I still believe that she loved her. Meredith loved her mother more than anything, we have seen that, there was a connection there.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariparker (View Post)
Thank you!!!

Loved the icon to! I'm a romantic, and I have hope for MD, even with all of this things we're hearing....

I got a suspicious thought, that maybe, as this new ladie is coming to Derek, is it possible that Joshua Jackson is maybe a new love interest to Mer?
JJ is coming to Grey's?
David Boreanaz & Emily Deschanel

Closed Thread   Post New Thread