Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendtherain (View Post)
You mean that Vanessa lacks Dan's excessive judgments and self-righteousness or vice versa? Because I think they are both the same in that department.
No... I relate to Dan because I'm basically that guy... minus the excessive judgment and self-righteousness. Though I'm poet and investment banker which is more Chuck-ish... but still Dan is my favorite.

That's what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:06 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
You mean that Vanessa lacks Dan's excessive judgments and self-righteousness or vice versa? Because I think they are both the same in that department.
I think Dan has made big improvements in that department, though. He actively tried to change in S2. And I think he did become less judgmental and less self-righteous in S3. Vanessa has changed as well but it's probably less obvious.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Master Fan

Also, I like how everyone hangs out at Columbia now. Like NYU doesn't exist anymore
Old 11-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimkay (View Post)
It's not about opposing my ship (which is not DS by the way, it used to be but I've left that ship a while ago). It's about her nature... that's all. She's an antagonist and has been since 1.06 which was her first episode.

She was introduced as a way to remind Dan of his past, of what he used to be and of what he gave up. She was introduced as an antagonist, sort of. Her purpose changed over the seasons because she went from guest star to regular.
I see what you are saying here, and I guess I actually like that aspect of Vanessa's role in the show. She is set up in opposition to the UES, but she actually owns that role and actively doesn't want to be a part of it. She gets sucked in sometimes, but then she tries to get out. Dan/Jenny/Rufus, however, were also supposedly set up in opposition but ended up wanting to be a part of it more than anything else with the popularity contests and romantic entanglements, etc.

So I guess I like that Vanessa is still holding down the Brooklyn fort.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnySlippers232 (View Post)
I think Dan has made big improvements in that department, though. He actively tried to change in S2. And I think he did become less judgmental and less self-righteous in S3. Vanessa has changed as well but it's probably less obvious.
Dan has definitely made big improvements, and so has Vanessa. But the general trend of talking about how evil the UES is in one episode and then acting in exactly the same way as the UESers the next still holds true for both of them.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout24 (View Post)
Maybe Nate was more willing to forgive when he didn't think Dan was out to hurt him when he and S made out yet Nate doesn't take too kind to someone seeking revenge against his friends and going behind his back and using him to do it???
Well that totally makes sense. It just felt strange to me, and that was all that I was suggesting.

And just to clarify quickly, I'm more of a Vanessa fan than not, however I do feel that the general "hate" that the character gets is because the writers are often willing to throw her under the bus to prop other couples or move ahead story lines. I can understand the majority of all of Vanessa's motivations on the show, which is more than I can say for some of the other characters.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:11 AM
Elite Fan

Dan may have tried to change but I feel he is just as judgmental as ever. From last episode with CB to this episode with Serena (about her professor). He's just coming full circle with the judging and now, let's add a dash of being hypocritical. I mean he's telling S she shouldn't date his professor, he dated his high school teacher (had sex with her too). Then with CB- he did the same thing they do ,yet he's saying he isn't like them when he does it.... He may have tried to change but it's not happening right now...

Night all!

Kelly0128- I kinda' just came up with the Nate thing when you said it. If I was Nate (lord help my poor brain) then that's how I would feel. Plus, Dan used him. I wasn't calling you out or anything...
Old 11-09-2010, 12:14 AM
Master Fan

Dan is bitter.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:15 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout24 (View Post)
Dan may have tried to change but I feel he is just as judgmental as ever. From last episode with CB to this episode with Serena (about her professor). He's just coming full circle with the judging and now, let's add a dash of being hypocritical. I mean he's telling S she shouldn't date his professor, he dated his high school teacher (had sex with her too). Then with CB- he did the same thing they do ,yet he's saying he isn't like them when he does it.... He may have tried to change but it's not happening right now...
lol that totally escaped my mind!

oh and the DS scene where daniel walked away form Serena cuz of Collin reminded me soooo much of him walking from Serena in 2x01 when she was kissing Nate.. and the sad thing is.. this seems to work for Serena, he makes her feel a little ****ty and she wants him again.. granted, i didn't really listen to the DS dialogue in this last ep.. but still.. it felt like deja-vu

ETA: Night
Old 11-09-2010, 12:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

For me, DS scenes just give me less to pay attention to in any given GG episode.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:21 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
For me, DS scenes just give me less to pay attention to in any given GG episode.
i always say i'll fast-forward.. but i usually watch live
Old 11-09-2010, 12:22 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kary1591 (View Post)
i always say i'll fast-forward.. but i usually watch live
Yeah, I can't fast-forward. But I can lie back and think of England.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:23 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedsicca (View Post)
Vanessa just started being the antagonist this week. Just because she opposes your ship doesn't make her the antagonist. I ship DV, but that doesn't mean Serena is the antagonist...
I agree. She showed up when D/S were getting started, meant to be somewhat of as romantic foil for Serena. Despite loving D/S then, I still appreciated her. I think that's where a lot of her hate came from. D/S shippers. The way she was introduced, of course D/S shippers labeled her the enemy. And for that I don't blame them. That's all Josh and Stephenie's fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnySlippers232 (View Post)
Vanessa has a lot of fans. I like her and find her character to be very sympathetic. Honestly, I don't understand all the hate she gets sometimes. The worst thing she ever did was steal that letter from Jenny. And she's no angel in the next episode but at least I understand her motivations. It's the same with Chuck for me. I won't make excuses for her but at least I understand where she's coming from.
True, when Chuck or Blair do something, no matter how bad, I at least try to look at it from their POV when possible. Vanessa doesn't do anything nearly as bad and constantly gets hated on, even when she does something right.

I would love nothing more than to see Vanessa meet a nice, UES-er guy who's kind of a hippie, but still a part of that world who makes Vanessa see that misjudged the entire UES, It serves as an in for her to realistically be apart of the main storyline, but also keeping Vanessa Vanessa. It gives her a man of her own and there's no worrying about other shipper being made about it.

Last edited by TJ72389; 11-09-2010 at 12:32 AM
Old 11-09-2010, 12:24 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Yeah, I can't fast-forward. But I can lie back and think of England.
smart one you are
Old 11-09-2010, 12:41 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ72389 (View Post)
I would love nothing more than to see Vanessa meet a nice, UES-er guy who's kind of a hippie, but still a part of that world who makes Vanessa see that misjudged the entire UES, It serves as an in for her to realistically be apart of the main storyline, but also keeping Vanessa Vanessa. It gives her a man of her own and there's no worrying about other shipper being made about it.
That was sort of Nate's purpose in S1, wasn't it? Vanessa snubbed the UES and was kind of abrasive with Nate when they first met. Cause she already didn't like Chuck and Blair after having some bad experiences with them. But then Nate showed her he wasn't a jerk. (Of course that changed in S2 )