Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2010, 11:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimkay (View Post)
I'm just curious about your reasons for feeling this way about Vanessa. I've never encountered any GG fan who was a fan of her so I'm just surprised.
I think she is a strong and independent woman who is not defined by the men in her life, unlike so many of the other female characters on this show. She stands up for what she believes in, and actually has something to believe in. Her tastes are similar to mine, and she has been loyal to Dan for such a long time without getting any reciprocation that I feel really sorry for her. Finally, I really sympathize with her desire to belong to a family like the Humphreys based on the neglect and disappointment she experiences from her own family.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:50 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
No offense, but Vanessa is a black hole. She's sucking the life out of this show. I can't believe this character hasn't been written off this show yet. She serves no purpose other than being an obstacle for DS. Her romance with Dan and Nate are laughable at best and when she can't be in a relationship, all she does is try to screw the UES around (Chuck, Blair, Serena, etc.).

As for Dan not caring and treating her like poo poo, well, I think most of it is due to bad writing/writers not giving a ***** about DV, unless Serena is in a "serious" (cause nothing with Serena is really "serious") relationship, which is the sole purpose of writing DV.

EDIT: That's why I don't care about her vendetta against Serena (and her tag-team with Jenny/Juliet). We all know that in the end Serena will win, cause she always does and in the end Dan will be with Serena.
I think Vanessa as a character would be much more well liked as a guest star. Unless she is romantically involved with someone, the writes are putting her into storylines/situations that make any viewer who is not a fan of her dislike what she is doing (CV, getting between NJ/DS, scheming, etc). It's just like the writers have such little to do with her that they just use her for situations where she is getting in the way of the other characters. It's a little bit sad for her character.

Also- Did anyone think it was weird how Dan said that Nate wasn't talking to him because Dan took the file last episode. So Dan can kiss Nate's girlfriend and the same episode Nate is like "Oh, its cool, man." but Nate is slower to forgive this? Weird, IMO.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:50 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnySlippers232 (View Post)
Thank you!
Old 11-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I'm just curious about your reasons for feeling this way about Vanessa. I've never encountered any GG fan who was a fan of her so I'm just surprised.
Vanessa is the most relatable character to me. Nothing wrong with liking what you understand.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:55 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly0128 (View Post)
I think Vanessa as a character would be much more well liked as a guest star. Unless she is romantically involved with someone, the writes are putting her into storylines/situations that make any viewer who is not a fan of her dislike what she is doing (CV, getting between NJ/DS, scheming, etc). It's just like the writers have such little to do with her that they just use her for situations where she is getting in the way of the other characters. It's a little bit sad for her character.

Also- Did anyone think it was weird how Dan said that Nate wasn't talking to him because Dan took the file last episode. So Dan can kiss Nate's girlfriend and the same episode Nate is like "Oh, its cool, man." but Nate is slower to forgive this? Weird, IMO.
+1

I totally agree about the guest star thing. She was supposed to be one initially, I think. Bad decision by the writers to make her a regular in S2 or S3 (I forgot). She's acting as the antagonist in all the storylines, which makes it very hard to like her. Plus, her self-righteousness and condescending attitude towards the UES and (often) Dan is just I know Dan is often self-righteous and the likes but he toned it down in the last couple of seasons.

As for the Dan/Nate thing, I was like "WTF?" when I heard this. Very weird, but then, Nate is the dumbest TV character the world has even seen.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:57 PM
Extreme Fan

Vanessa just started being the antagonist this week. Just because she opposes your ship doesn't make her the antagonist. I ship DV, but that doesn't mean Serena is the antagonist...
Old 11-08-2010, 11:57 PM
Master Fan

Vanessa has a lot of fans. I like her and find her character to be very sympathetic. Honestly, I don't understand all the hate she gets sometimes. The worst thing she ever did was steal that letter from Jenny. And she's no angel in the next episode but at least I understand her motivations. It's the same with Chuck for me. I won't make excuses for her but at least I understand where she's coming from.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Elite Fan

Maybe Nate was more willing to forgive when he didn't think Dan was out to hurt him when he and S made out yet Nate doesn't take too kind to someone seeking revenge against his friends and going behind his back and using him to do it???
Old 11-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnySlippers232 (View Post)
Vanessa has a lot of fans. I like her and find her character to be very sympathetic. Honestly, I don't understand all the hate she gets sometimes. The worst thing she ever did was steal that letter from Jenny. And she's no angel in the next episode but at least I understand her motivations. It's the same with Chuck for me. I won't make excuses for her but at least I understand where she's coming from.
+2
Old 11-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
As for the Dan/Nate thing, I was like "WTF?" when I heard this. Very weird, but then, Nate is the dumbest TV character the world has even seen.
mmm, idk.. maybe Nate just got tired of dan being such a horrible friend
Old 11-09-2010, 12:00 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendtherain (View Post)
I think she is a strong and independent woman who is not defined by the men in her life, unlike so many of the other female characters on this show. She stands up for what she believes in, and actually has something to believe in. Her tastes are similar to mine, and she has been loyal to Dan for such a long time without getting any reciprocation that I feel really sorry for her. Finally, I really sympathize with her desire to belong to a family like the Humphreys based on the neglect and disappointment she experiences from her own family.
I see where you are coming from, you and chedsicca. I actually feel the same with Dan (minus the excessive judgments and self-righteousness).

It's true that she's probably the only female on this show with a spine. Blair has lost hers after S1 and Serena never had any to being with. And I'm not even going to start with Jenny.

It's just that her character is just very hard to like if you don't relate to her due to her "antagonistic" nature, much more than Dan I think (though even I hate what he does sometimes) because Dan has been a major protagonist, especially in the early run of the show.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:01 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout24 (View Post)
Maybe Nate was more willing to forgive when he didn't think Dan was out to hurt him when he and S made out yet Nate doesn't take too kind to someone seeking revenge against his friends and going behind his back and using him to do it???
plus i think this was dan's "second chance" and he ****ed up.. i wish Nate would have dumped his ass a loooonngg time ago
Old 11-09-2010, 12:02 AM
Master Fan

I like the fact that Nate is so loyal to Chuck and Blair
Old 11-09-2010, 12:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I see where you are coming from, you and chedsicca. I actually feel the same with Dan (minus the excessive judgments and self-righteousness).
You mean that Vanessa lacks Dan's excessive judgments and self-righteousness or vice versa? Because I think they are both the same in that department.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:04 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedsicca (View Post)
Vanessa just started being the antagonist this week. Just because she opposes your ship doesn't make her the antagonist. I ship DV, but that doesn't mean Serena is the antagonist...
It's not about opposing my ship (which is not DS by the way, it used to be but I've left that ship a while ago). It's about her nature... that's all. She's an antagonist and has been since 1.06 which was her first episode.

She was introduced as a way to remind Dan of his past, of what he used to be and of what he gave up. She was introduced as an antagonist, sort of. Her purpose changed over the seasons because she went from guest star to regular.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread