Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara23 (View Post)
I'm Roman Cath. too and I *think* that each child just needs one or two godparents. I don't think there's any rule about not being able to use the same person twice as long as the child has someone at the christening. My mom's a godmother to a couple of my cousins and kids of family friends. So if you could be a godparent for a bunch of children from different families, why not for the same family?

ETA: because teachers are supposed to be able to spell...
Since they are probably going to be baptized 7th Day Adventist I would doubt that they are going to hold to formalities of the RC. In the RC one godparent has to be a practicing Catholic and you cannot have two of the same sex. (I teach the sacrament so I have all sorts of useless knowledge about this floating around in my brain.)

What shocked me about the Martha, Davey baptism is that if you want the children raised in a Christian faith, you pick people who will raise them in that faith and then they are baptized into that community, if you want someone to raise your child incase of your death, see a lawyer.

However, this is GG so realities are streatched.

BTW: Anyone else REALLY surprised that Richard knew Norman Greenbaum "the one hit wonder" sang "Spirit in the Sky?"
Old 02-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Banned

Godparemt discussion..interesting. Thankls for thread and what not...I so need a desk. Nevertheless, Cappa, if you were indeed on the right path. Well, Lorelai, would really be an asshat. Again, I get HATING CHRIS and the need for you Chrisaters to scream it to the heavens. However, if she says that she WANTED TO WANT HIM, that totally negates your point. Nevertheless, it ends, because Chris wakes up, and Lorelai stops running.

One last thiong; Riska, uh, American cars have some of the best gas mileage on earth. Yes, I am claiming the new Mini Cooper as American. IT's made her darn it!

ETA: Spirit in the Sky is not a one-hit wonder. It's a great American song. Which explains why Richard knows the song. That's my reasoning at least.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
One last thiong; Riska, uh, American cars have some of the best gas mileage on earth. Yes, I am claiming the new Mini Cooper as American. IT's made her darn it!
Do you work for Mr Bush's press office

I thought "Spirit in the Sky" was the one hit for Norman Greenbaum, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Addicted Fan

Not all Protestant denominations have godparents or do infant baptism. I grew up in a non-dominational evangelical church(Baptist without the title) and we didn't. We do baby dedications where the pastor prays for each child that they'll grow up to be Christians. It's sort of a throw back to the story of Hannah and Samuel in the Old Testament where she gives Samuel to the church. God gave them their children and they want to give them back to God. I don't know much about Seventh Day Adventist but from leonana's post I'm thinking that it's a little closer to this. Some of my friends had godparents, but it was more of just a special thing for a good friend of the family than necessarily a spiritual thing. Okay, I could go on more, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one here who has a fascination with theology and the practices of different denominations.

ETA: So Luke could be the godfather without having really an spiritual purpose. Just someone who has a special place in the heart of Lane and Zach. Maybe they only want to do one godfather so instead of having to chose between Zach and Gil they chose Luke? Just an idea rolling around in my head.

Last edited by lilmelodie; 02-07-2007 at 10:03 PM
Old 02-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Extreme Fan

Is it bad that I'm a Christian and know nothing about this godparent business?
Old 02-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara Ashley (View Post)
Is it bad that I'm a Christian and know nothing about this godparent business?
Nah, I'm not sure how I know about it. But not all denominations have godparents.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmelodie (View Post)
Not all Protestant denominations have godparents or do infant baptism. I grew up in a non-dominational evangelical church(Baptist without the title) and we didn't. We do baby dedications where the pastor prays for each child that they'll grow up to be Christians. It's sort of a throw back to the story of Hannah and Samuel in the Old Testament where she gives Samuel to the church. God gave them their children and they want to give them back to God. I don't know much about Seventh Day Adventist but from leonana's post I'm thinking that it's a little closer to this. Some of my friends had godparents, but it was more of just a special thing for a good friend of the family than necessarily a spiritual thing. Okay, I could go on more, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one here who has a fascination with theology and the practices of different denominations.
ETA: So Luke could be the godfather without having really an spiritual purpose. Just someone who has a special place in the heart of Lane and Zach. Maybe they only want to do one godfather so instead of having to chose between Zach and Gil they chose Luke? Just an idea rolling around in my head.
Not alone, I got a Masters in it.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillianries (View Post)
Not alone, I got a Masters in it.
Ah, good to know I'm not alone. I haven't gone that far in my education, but I pretty much have a minor in Bible so I too have lots of random information rolling around in my head.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmelodie (View Post)
Ah, good to know I'm not alone. I haven't gone that far in my education, but I pretty much have a minor in Bible so I too have lots of random information rolling around in my head.
And see what good it does, to give reflective discussions on fictional characters in a make-believe world. LOL

Mitchum would never understand.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillianries (View Post)
And see what good it does, to give reflective discussions on fictional characters in a make-believe world. LOL

Mitchum would never understand.
Oh, my professors would be so proud.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Well in Greek Orthodox which is my religion there is one god parent which is your best friend or sometimes two if you have more then one best friend
Old 02-07-2007, 11:44 PM
Banned

Craig, for a guy from a country that loves FORDS. You should not really say anything. But, again, a lot of Toyotas, Nissans, and Beemers aka the maker of the new MINI are built in the US. SO, you know, gas mileage is a part of our thing...yo. And no Tara, while no one should speak for the Good Lord, I doubt she would get ruffled feathers over your lack of semantics.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:09 AM
Master Fan

Thanks to a friend that was doing the tour yesterday or today, can't remember which day since they sent me an email tonight (all I know is they weren't part of the TwoP lot that went) about it. But a filming tidbit for 7.17 is there are flashbacks in the episode.

Twitter: nlm78
Old 02-08-2007, 12:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJSW (View Post)
Craig, for a guy from a country that loves FORDS. You should not really say anything. But, again, a lot of Toyotas, Nissans, and Beemers aka the maker of the new MINI are built in the US. SO, you know, gas mileage is a part of our thing...yo. And no Tara, while no one should speak for the Good Lord, I doubt she would get ruffled feathers over your lack of semantics.
But even here like in the US it's Toyota that dominates the domestic market!

And it's Holden cars that Australians in general like more.

Quote:
Thanks to a friend that was doing the tour yesterday or today, can't remember which day since they sent me an email tonight (all I know is they weren't part of the TwoP lot that went) about it. But a filming tidbit for 7.17 is there are flashbacks in the episode.
Thanks Nadine, interesting!
Old 02-08-2007, 12:42 AM
Dedicated Fan

Thanks for the news Nadine!

So flashbacks?!
About what???
Closed Thread   Post New Thread