Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaso (View Post)
DR messed up as a showrunner. Plain and simple. In one episode we had those looks between LL and in the next she was ready to leave Luke out of her life. The episodes didn't have a continuity. It was like they didn't watch what they were writing in the previous episode.

And now we are sitting here trying to understand the mess that is DR's writing.
Wondered why I have a headache.

Quote:
What? oh you can bet that they will have a happily ever romantic relationship. We won't see them married but they will BE together.

Oh they'll probably be married and all the rest of it, bet that's what "I'm an Luke and Lorelai fan too" Rosenthal thinks.

He just didn't bother to share any of it on screen.

Lorelai, about her dog: He's totally fine having his personal freedoms slowly stripped away,
as long as he's completely unaware that it's happening - just like a true American.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by caf123 (View Post)
How funny, because that's exactly what we're getting - a stereotypical last-minute runion/kiss. Bet the showrunners think they're giving us that happy ending.

It's the viewers who actually cared about that complexity you talk about, who wanted to see the actual relationship play out on screen. It's the writers who trivialized it into a superficial "happily ever after" ending.
You mean the stereotyped happy ending everyone was swooning and squeeing over two days ago?
Old 05-10-2007, 10:49 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranoh (View Post)
I'm not saying that Lorelai's POV isn't flawed. It is. But I still understand why she's hesitant. Just like I understand why Luke is hesitant. And from Lorelai's POV, she DID prove her feelings to Luke. In more ways than one. It's not as if she hasn't done anything to show him how she feels. The karaoke might have been unplanned, but she still did it. And in her mind, she was showing him her feelings. I just don't see a bad guy in this situation. I also just cannot look at love as some sort of algebraic equation. I can't buy the "If so and so truly loved such and such, this and that would happen" arguments. Life and love are much more complex than that. JMO
Wow, my thoughts.

To know something and to act like this are 2 pair of shoes.
Especially for people like Lorelai and Luke.
Maybe they're thinking that they're not worth to be loved by eachother.
Maybe Luke's thinking i'm only a diner owner and Lorelai is thinking he can't love me after all what i've done to him.
With those thoughts in your head you can't see the obvious and with every little misunderstanding the wall around you got higher and higher and the obvious it totally out of sight.
Maybe someday there is a hole in the wall and you can see it again and than you can start to put the wall down.

If Lorelai and Luke are together at the end in the last epi. i can see them putting their walls down(not in the next/now last epi.). Maybe it's hard but it is it worth, every stone.
I do believe that DR would have shown us that in a season8.
Sure with drama but LL still on their way in a healthy relationship.
And because i think so, i think that this season7 finale, now also known as series finale, is/was a first step in this direction.

I'm still sad that the show is over next week and i agree it can't be a deserved series finale 'cause it's a season finale.
We can't change that so i'll take it and make the best of it and i really hope that LL are together at the end.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Part-Time Fan

I think this whole post-karaoke storyline could have been much more credible if they had just blocked the diner scene differently. I'm sorry, but based on where Luke was standing when she finally noticed him, there is no way that Lorelai couldn't have known that he was in earshot of her comments. And yet we're supposed to believe that 1) she didn't hear him coming and 2) she couldn't take the logical step to conclude that he heard her "it meant nothing" comment. Other than that, it pretty much makes sense. He started acting cold, she interpreted it as something else, not knowing that he heard her comment. She, understandably, brushed off the incident with Patty and Babette because really who wouldn't in that situation? It's annoyingly sitcom-y, but the pieces all fit except for that one, and it could have been so easily cured with better directing (have Luke be in the kitchen, put Lorelai at a table and not at the counter, have the scene be in Doose's not the diner, etc.)
Old 05-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaso (View Post)
DR messed up as a showrunner. Plain and simple. In one episode we had those looks between LL and in the next she was ready to leave Luke out of her life. The episodes didn't have a continuity. It was like they didn't watch what they were writing in the previous episode.

And now we are sitting here trying to understand the mess that is DR's writing.

What? oh you can bet that they will have a happily ever romantic relationship. We won't see them married but they will BE together.It's not what we wanted and what we deserved but at least we will know that they are together for ever. You can forget about your dream scenario of returning to dopey because she never loved him.
I know they will be together, and that viewers are expected to believe they will be together forever. I get that. I just think even if they did get married, just the way these two characters are is that there would always be some tension and disagreements but they would learn to work through it. I think what I am saying is, I am glad DR did not have them married and expecting a baby in the final episode (as there was a spoiler he would do.) That would be too easy and unrealistic given everything that's gone down between Luke and Lorelai. I really like that they have been taking it slow, it makes it more believable and (up until I started to get confused again) I could support them getting back together a lot more than I would have if they had rushed things. I guess maybe I just think like LG because I agreed 100% with everything she said in her interview, and with that comment about how a wedding or double wedding would be a terrible ending. I like things being more open-ended. Since over seven years none of these characters have had perfect relationships with each other (and this applies to all of Lorelai's relationships, not just her relationship with Luke) it would feel strange to me if in a single episode or even another half-season, these relationships were perfectly and ideally resolved.

And Lorelai and Christopher are divorced, I didn't say anything about them getting back together!
Old 05-10-2007, 10:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkelve (View Post)
Hmm, I wonder who it could be. Lauren and Scott?????
I doubt it with the "brief on-screen fling" bit, IMO it Greys with Izzie and George, they had a fling and are known (or were) to be friends.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by El286 (View Post)
I know they will be together, and that viewers are expected to believe they will be together forever. I get that. I just think even if they did get married, just the way these two characters are is that there would always be some tension and disagreements but they would learn to work through it. I think what I am saying is, I am glad DR did not have them married and expecting a baby in the final episode (as there was a spoiler he would do.) That would be too easy and unrealistic given everything that's gone down between Luke and Lorelai. I really like that they have been taking it slow, it makes it more believable and (up until I started to get confused again) I could support them getting back together a lot more than I would have if they had rushed things. I guess maybe I just think like LG because I agreed 100% with everything she said in her interview, and with that comment about how a wedding or double wedding would be a terrible ending. I like things being more open-ended. Since over seven years none of these characters have had perfect relationships with each other (and this applies to all of Lorelai's relationships, not just her relationship with Luke) it would feel strange to me if in a single episode or even another half-season, these relationships were perfectly and ideally resolved.

And Lorelai and Christopher are divorced, I didn't say anything about them getting back together!
I'll go a step further and say that DR and Co. did write this as a series finale. It just seems like there are too many good-bye shout-outs and storylines getting wrapped up for it to feel like a season finale.

And I'm more-or-less okay with that.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the cast picture link, did anyone find the eBay listing?

As for Scott, wasn't the next morning the final shooting day, and Luke is in that scene or was it shot out of order?

Lauren is clearly wearing the same top as in the party scene in the final, maybe she likes is and put it back on for the picture?
Old 05-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

okay schizo party of 1 speaking. Over my anger now...its just directed at the writers and especially the director. You're blocking sucks
Old 05-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CineFille (View Post)
I'll go a step further and say that DR and Co. did write this as a series finale. It just seems like there are too many good-bye shout-outs and storylines getting wrapped up for it to feel like a season finale.

I am also getting this feeling. Even the photos that were just posted have a final feel to them. This also explains LG's request to retool the script too. I think certain people knew that it was leaning more toward the end.

In a way I am glad it is ending. The show can go out on a high note (sort of) and it is at a point where there is a natural end. Rory graduating and striking out on her own, Luke and Lorelai together, Emily and Richard will be at a town event (kind of like the merging of Rory and Lorelai's two worlds), Lane and Paris are in a good place in their lives, etc. It's a good ending. Not as good as I could have hoped for, but one that sort of jives with the show on the whole.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:14 AM
Obsessed Fan

I rewatched the DC again, and as I predicted, I am not as annoyed as I was last night, when I was tired. I do agree with those who said the blocking in the Diner scene did screw up some of the validity of the storyline. Heh. Maybe I should let my friend who teaches acting show it in her class, so the kids have an actual demonstration of why good blocking is important to the feel of a show. (They are in middle school and want to stand in a straight line or a bunch. Oy.)

I still think that last weeks episode, followed by the DC took away the momentum of the wrap up, but oh well.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I still think that last weeks episode, followed by the DC took away the momentum of the wrap up, but oh well.
IA. That's the worst thing. We had this wonderful scene with Lorelai singing and Luke getting his hopes up and then it's all wiped out by some stupid "Three's Company" contrivance.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CineFille (View Post)

Not to mention shipping Paris off to Boston. We never heard anything about Liza Weil not being interested in s8, which leads me to believe that DR might have known something that a lot of others didn't.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
The show can go out on a high note (sort of) and it is at a point where there is a natural end.
I kinda agree with you on the natural ending part, since Rory's graduation was always supposed to be the end (according to Amy). However, I wouldn't call this finale "going out on a high note" - not even sort of. It had dropped so low this season that, at best, we might make it into alto range.

For my part, I'll just be happy if they make it through the end of the episode without being too insulting to the history of the show and the characters and relationships we've all loved for 7 years.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:27 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by voncey (View Post)
IA. That's the worst thing. We had this wonderful scene with Lorelai singing and Luke getting his hopes up and then it's all wiped out by some stupid "Three's Company" contrivance.
This is nothing new on this show though. It's been done over and over. Contrivance is king on GG. I'm used to it by now. I don't like it, but it is predictable.