Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2018, 11:16 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrenda182 (View Post)
they’ve outdone themselves....I didn’t honestly think they’d take a classic (THE CLASSIC) Flash storyline & turn it into an Oliver Queen storyline — but it seems like he wants to be redeemed and will likely take Barry’s place in the Crisis on Infinite Earths storyline next year (why are they doing a 2024 story in 2019...hopefully next season is Arrows last...this seems to put a kink in the 10 yr Flash plan haha....when in doubt blame Guggenheim)
I don't think they are giving Barry's storyline to Oliver. I've yet to watch the episode, but, from I've heard, both Barry and Kara were going to be killed in order to save everyone during this crossover events. What Oliver did was convince the Monitor both Kara and Barry were important to be around by the time the Crises happened. They were saved now, so that they will perish later... unless Nora is able to save them both somehow.

I'm guessing that newspaper headline, now, is going to read 2019 instead of 2024...
Old 12-12-2018, 12:32 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra (View Post)
^ The problem is getting the previous showrunner of Arrow to write the crossovers. There's an obvious bias. Even Supergirl got the shaft in her own episode this week since it focused more on Superman.
Supergirl always gets the shaft during crossovers. She played second fiddle to three dudes and one of them is a guest star. Superman is an iconic character but he's not a regular in Kara's story.

The Supergirl supporting cast didn't even get to cross over. Why not have Caitlin and Cisco be in two episodes instead of three and give more to the other characters? Those two are always there and Caitlin didn't do anything but get knocked out two nights in a row They're the Oliver of the supporting cast, always getting more than anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lianamed (View Post)
I don't think they are giving Barry's storyline to Oliver. I've yet to watch the episode, but, from I've heard, both Barry and Kara were going to be killed in order to save everyone during this crossover events. What Oliver did was convince the Monitor both Kara and Barry were important to be around by the time the Crises happened. They were saved now, so that they will perish later... unless Nora is able to save them both somehow.

I'm guessing that newspaper headline, now, is going to read 2019 instead of 2024...
Oliver convinced the Monitor by making a deal with him. The Monitor told him that balance was needed. He probably sacrificed his life so Kara and Barry could live, because he's dark and Barry and Kara are light and inspire hope blah blah blah.

That's why we fear they're giving Barry's story to Oliver. He's going to die/disappear in the Crisis to protect Barry and Kara
Old 12-12-2018, 01:31 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireQueen (View Post)
Oliver convinced the Monitor by making a deal with him. The Monitor told him that balance was needed. He probably sacrificed his life so Kara and Barry could live, because he's dark and Barry and Kara are light and inspire hope blah blah blah.

That's why we fear they're giving Barry's story to Oliver. He's going to die/disappear in the Crisis to protect Barry and Kara
I understand that. I’ve just finished watching it. But Kara and Barry were going to die at that moment. That moment there wasn’t the Crisis on Infinite Earths. Oliver’s deal was about them living to face the Bigger Threat, and the bigger threat is CoIE, the famous arc where both were supposed to die. In fact, where Kara ceases to exist, and Barry exists but still dies.

I do belive Oliver made a deal without knowing his deal will make them die in the future, facing the Anti-Monitor.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:36 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireQueen (View Post)

To be honest, which storyline of Barry's has actually been about Barry and/or executed well. If we look back on Flashpoint, Trial of The Flash, his wedding, his general skill set - CSI skills, competence in the field, ability to build Gideon and his own Flash ring. Even the Flash museum reliving his greatest hits...which ones?

Even they did give him Crisis they wouldn't even do it justice. So I'm not really bothered. The show continuing the idea of him disappering in 2024 and just being okay with it was odd. Without time jumps I didn't wantthem to keep this storyline going until 2024, or have that many seasons. Just my preference.

Edit - I think if this is how they plan to close out Arrow, with Oliver dying in Crisis, instead of Barry. Then I think that's fitting. If it's just borrowing his story, for borrowing sake because Arrow is fresh out of ideas. Like with the tacky crashing of Barry's wedding, copied prison storyline and potentially copied future daughter, then it's a problem.

Quote:

Barry and Kara agreed to race around the Earth in separate directions, as a way to stop time and therefore stop Deegan from rewriting reality. Oliver knew that that option would kill the heroes, which led to him confronting The Monitor (LaMonica Garrett), asking what would need to be done to change Barry and Kara's destiny and leave them alive to help stop the oncoming "crisis". The Monitor eventually agreed, asking something of Oliver in return -- but the camera cut away before we could find out exactly what that was.

So, what could Oliver have agreed to sacrifice? Well, it's way too early to tell, but the episode's stinger helped suggest some possibilities. Now that we know that the Arrowverse will be doing "Crisis on Infinite Earths" in the fall of next year, and given the storyline that that book follows, there's a chance that things could have already been forecast.

In the Crisis comic storyline, both Supergirl and The Flash meet tragic fates, with both dying in their fights against the Anti-Monitor. The Arrowverse has already played up both of these fates in one way or another, with The Flash's "vanishing in crisis" being teased since the show's inception, and Supergirl doing a very visual callback to the character's "Crisis" death. For the most part, Green Arrow was nowhere to be found during the event, although the "Golden Age" Green Arrow technically perished when Earth-2 got destroyed.

Given the circumstances of Oliver bargaining with The Monitor, it seems entirely possible that Oliver could have agreed to trade his life for Barry or Kara's, with him agreeing to sacrifice himself in some way once "Crisis" actually happens. Not only would this provide an emotional conclusion to the show that kick-started the Arrowverse, but it would arguably fulfill what Amell has argued Oliver's "last" story arc should be, especially now that Emiko Queen has taken on the mantle of the "New Green Arrow".

"The only thing that is left for him to do - and he doesn't need to die to do this - is he needs to leave a legacy." Amell said on a podcast appearance earlier this year. "Because we have all these other shows that exist. So whether Arrow continued on in the absence of Oliver Queen, or someone else took up the mantle of the Green Arrow... I think leaving a legacy is the last box left to tick for the character."

But then again, "Crisis" is a full year away, and there's no telling exactly what kind of narrative the Arrowverse could weave in the meantime. Either way, fans will surely be interested to see what happens to Oliver Queen, as well as the rest of the Arrowverse's heroes.
x - Recap for anyone who skipped the Arrow/Supergirl portion of the crossovers like me...
Philanthropist.

You can take away my house, all my tricks and toys, but one thing you can't take away – I am IRON MAN.

Last edited by SuitUp; 12-12-2018 at 02:51 PM
Old 12-12-2018, 03:56 PM
Extreme Fan

SuitUp speaking facts, unfortunately. This has been an ongoing trend with how the CW treats Barry.

Quote:
they’ve outdone themselves....I didn’t honestly think they’d take a classic (THE CLASSIC) Flash storyline & turn it into an Oliver Queen storyline — but it seems like he wants to be redeemed and will likely take Barry’s place in the Crisis on Infinite Earths storyline next year (why are they doing a 2024 story in 2019...hopefully next season is Arrows last...this seems to put a kink in the 10 yr Flash plan haha....when in doubt blame Guggenheim)
Barry's biggest storyline that they've been building towards since season 1 won't even be about him. I have to laugh to keep from being annoyed.

Do you guys think Oliver dying means the end of Arrow?

I've always been Iris West-Allen. I've always been yours.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:02 PM
Master Fan

When you think of all the things that CW Barry gets shortchanged on. Majority of them are at the hands of his own writers without other Arrowverse influence.

I don't think they'd ever kill Oliver. Although they should make a big splash and do it. As much as I detest crossovers. It would impact Barry in a huge way, having a ripple effect on his season going forward.

They never pull triggers on Arrowverse, even killing Laurel, controversial and clearly something Guggenheim desperately wanting was half reversed.

If anyone watches The Walking Dead [[SPOILERS AHEAD]] they will kill any character. So them not killing Rick was a huge mother frickin' surprise. I was blinking through my tears. Didn't even realize he survived for a good minute. It's the opposite with Arrowverse. They rarely kill mains so them doing it would be shocking.
Philanthropist.

You can take away my house, all my tricks and toys, but one thing you can't take away – I am IRON MAN.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:46 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp (View Post)
Even they did give him Crisis they wouldn't even do it justice. So I'm not really bothered. The show continuing the idea of him disappering in 2024 and just being okay with it was odd. Without time jumps I didn't wantthem to keep this storyline going until 2024, or have that many seasons. Just my preference.

Edit - I think if this is how they plan to close out Arrow, with Oliver dying in Crisis, instead of Barry. Then I think that's fitting. If it's just borrowing his story, for borrowing sake because Arrow is fresh out of ideas. Like with the tacky crashing of Barry's wedding, copied prison storyline and potentially copied future daughter, then it's a problem.
We'll never know what reason they have for borrowing it. It's a problem regardless. At least for me.

I agree that the writing never does Barry's stories justice but this is making me so upset because it's something that has been teased since 1x07. Iris working for Central City Citizen and writing that article, Nora going back in time to save her dad, Reverse Flash, these are all elements connected to that story. What's the point of doing all that if Oliver ends up hijacking it? Where's the pay off?

I think they re-introduced the idea of Barry disappearing too early and that's why he doesn't seem to care, even though it looks like it will be explored more in the second half of the season.

At this point my ideal scenario is that this is a different Crisis. Oliver dies or fake dies in the 2019 one, Barry thinks they've avoided that future only for another Crisis to take place a few years later. The characters won't know about it because a timeline change will make that article disappear.

Now I'm worried that they'll NEVER pull the trigger on Iris' journalism. If Oliver is the one that dies in the Crisis they can't use that article as motivation to explore it anymore since having her write a story about Oliver won't have the same impact. I'm rambling
Old 12-12-2018, 06:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

All I know is I don't want Barry dying or even Kara dying so if the story has to be altered to keep them alive, I'm all for it, lol.

I am irked two classic women comic journalists in Iris and Lois didn't share a scene. For that matter, how awesome would it have been seeing Kara/Iris/Lois together. If we get to see Tech Geeks crossing over together all the time, we should be seeing the three journalists too.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:25 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lianamed (View Post)

Spoiler:
Old 12-13-2018, 02:34 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Spoiler:
Well, to be honest, I'd rather Oliver die than Barry, but, I still believe that Oliver dying doesn't mean Barry isn't going to die in the crisis. It just meant he wasn't going to die against the Monitor at that point in time.

I think Oliver's deal with the Monitor was supposed to happen. The question we need to ask ourselves isn't if Oliver changed Barry's and Kara's fate in CoIE, but if Nora changed it by making the crisis happen earlier in time. It was originally supposed to happen in 2024, but it will happen in 2019 instead, and it has to be a consequence of Nora's actions, just as current Cicada was.

I believe Oliver was always supposed to make this deal with Monitor and guarantee that both Barry and Kara were alive by the time CoIE happens. But I also believe, somehow, that Barry won't die, not because of Oliver directedly, but because of Nora. That headline has to change in order to prove nothing is set in stone, and the future is always changing.

One thing I find weird, though. How come one life is enough to save two lives? Shouldn't it be two lives as well to restore the balance? And shouldn't Oliver's death happen at once? That is the part that doesn't make sense. Unless part of Oliver's deal includes the Doctor's catatonic state. It would be his mind and Oliver's life perhaps?
Old 12-13-2018, 06:36 AM
Elite Fan

Is the crisis what Nora came back to prevent?
Old 12-13-2018, 06:57 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan2009 (View Post)
Is the crisis what Nora came back to prevent?
Based on her monologue in the season’s premiere, I think she wants to prevent his 2024 disappearance. I assumed by the news description and by DC Canon it meant his disappearance in CoIE. It could be something else entirely, of course.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:36 PM
Moderator Support Team

Question: Will The Flash give us any more hints about what Nora seems to be hiding? —SSH
Ausiello: Now that we know there is some sort of alliance with Eobard Thawne, you should expect “a flash-forward flashback episode” that explains “how all that came to be, which will be a lot of fun,” says showrunner Todd Helbing. “You’ll slowly start to get the pieces of info that you need, but there will probably be one episode where we explain how that all happened to get her to come back [in time].”
https://tvline.com/2018/12/14/millio...regina-secret/
Old 12-14-2018, 05:14 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for that tidbit.
Philanthropist.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:45 PM
Master Fan

I can't wait to see that episode, or episodes.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread