Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2015, 08:12 PM
Master Fan

'The Flash' time travel episode turns into 'Groundhog's Day' | EW.com

Quote:
Barry Allen will race through time during an upcoming episode of The Flash—though he may pay a price for it.

“There’s an episode coming up where there is inadvertent connection to the Speed Force that results in probably our funniest hour as well as our darkest hour as the dangers of time travel come to light,” executive producer Andrew Kreisberg tells EW. “It’s a mashup between Back to the Future and Terminator—the good version of time travel and the bad version of time travel.”

The episode will also be influenced by the 1993 flick Groundhog’s Day, in which Bill Murray’s harried weatherman relives the same day over again until he gets his priorities straight. “It’s a complete accident the first time [he time travels],” star Grant Gustin says. “It’s really confusing because now we’re playing with timelines and we’re having to shoot things a couple different ways. It’s like a Groundhog’s Day-type element. It’s really funny and really exciting.”

Initially, Barry doesn’t understand what’s happening and he’s the only one aware of the time travel situation. “He’s not handling it incredibly well. It’s freaking him out a little bit,” Gustin says. The others will eventually figure it out, which leads to some comedy when Cisco (Carlos Valdes) has to explain what’s going on to Joe (Jesse L. Martin) in terms of time travel films.

But once Barry figures it out, he’ll decidedly use time travel to his advantage. “He realizes, ‘Holy ****, this an opportunity to change things with my family’s past,’” Gustin says. “He doesn’t know yet to maybe not do that, but that’s where Barry’s at when he realizes what he’s just learned that he can do, that he can maybe save his mom.”

With that being said, it’s been suspected since the pilot episode that Barry may have been present the night his mother was murdered by the Reverse Flash—especially considering young Barry was suddenly and mysteriously whisked away from the house. Did Barry protect his younger self from the wrath of the Reverse Flash? “That’s a good theory,” Gustin says coyly.

But Kreisberg cautions that Barry tampering with the past “has massive repercussions for the show,” he says. “After that episode, things are never going to be the same on The Flash.”
The Lord is my shepherd.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:14 PM
FAU
Master Fan

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:14 PM
Loyal Fan

I am 99% sure now that the kiss will have something to do with the Ground hog day thing

Anyway that episode sounds really good. Can't wait. I'm also interested in seeing his mother's death relived.

Last edited by ban1o; 02-02-2015 at 08:21 PM
Old 02-02-2015, 08:46 PM
Absolute Fan

yeah the kiss isn't going to be legit, probably part of the alternate time line .. and then only he will remember it…

R.I.P Nelsan Ellis.. "Being different gives the world color"
Old 02-02-2015, 08:50 PM
Master Fan

Even if the kiss takes place in an alternate timeline, why wouldn't Barry pursue Iris in his timeline when he knows that she's got feelings for him?

Anyway, I don't think he will try to go back to his mother's murder in this episode. I think it will just get him thinking about it.
The Lord is my shepherd.

Last edited by Chiqa; 02-02-2015 at 09:19 PM
Old 02-02-2015, 10:25 PM
Absolute Fan

who knows if Barry will pursue it after he gets back to his own timeline.. Anything is possible I'd just like Iris to remember it..

Old 02-02-2015, 10:35 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaijaChiqa (View Post)
Even if the kiss takes place in an alternate timeline, why wouldn't Barry pursue Iris in his timeline when he knows that she's got feelings for him?
Maybe she's still with Eddie? Or maybe something happens where Barry thinks it's best not to pursue her? I'm kinda hoping it's not the latter though, particularly if the writers go with the "it's too dangerous for me to be with the person I love" excuse. One of the things I really adore about Barry is that he embraces the people he loves, he allows himself to be vulnerable with them...he doesn't push them away. Yeah, he tried that with Iris before and we saw how long that lasted. I'd hate for Barry to lose that aspect of himself simply because the writers want to prolong the story.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to the time travel angle, regardless of what happens. The show needs a little shakeup. It's become a little too formulaic, I think.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:15 PM
Absolute Fan

^^^^ Couldn't have said it better myself. Agree with all of that

Old 02-02-2015, 11:47 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_chick (View Post)
Maybe she's still with Eddie? Or maybe something happens where Barry thinks it's best not to pursue her? I'm kinda hoping it's not the latter though, particularly if the writers go with the "it's too dangerous for me to be with the person I love" excuse. One of the things I really adore about Barry is that he embraces the people he loves, he allows himself to be vulnerable with them...he doesn't push them away. Yeah, he tried that with Iris before and we saw how long that lasted. I'd hate for Barry to lose that aspect of himself simply because the writers want to prolong the story.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to the time travel angle, regardless of what happens. The show needs a little shakeup. It's become a little too formulaic, I think.
That means she's cheating on Eddie in the alternate timeline? But I suppose it wouldn't matter if it gets erased?

I really don't like the idea of current Barry kissing future Iris because it reeks of desperation but I'm just going to sit back and let the writers tell their story.

The second option... I don't need Barry to turn into Oliver because that's not his personality. I still don't think it will turn out the way people expect it to but I'm probably wrong and stubbornly sticking to my head canon.
The Lord is my shepherd.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:18 AM
Addicted Fan

It looks like Iris kisses Barry after thinking he died, so I can sort of forgive her for cheating due to the trauma.

I really, really hope you guys are wrong about this. Maybe Barry kisses Iris at the end of the second time living the same day? But one reason Barry might not try to kiss Iris again in the current timeline is if whatever he changes in that day changes the circumstances around the Iris kiss. Like say if something makes Iris put a break on her and Eddie earlier that day vs. that thing never happens so Iris/Eddie are going kinda strong.

Big changes coming out of a tiny change would be foreshadowing the arc where Barry does go back to save his mom.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:32 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
It looks like Iris kisses Barry after thinking he died

ooo ooo i'm intrigued, do you really think thats how it goes down? explain

Old 02-03-2015, 12:37 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParsD (View Post)
It looks like Iris kisses Barry after thinking he died, so I can sort of forgive her for cheating due to the trauma.

I really, really hope you guys are wrong about this. Maybe Barry kisses Iris at the end of the second time living the same day? But one reason Barry might not try to kiss Iris again in the current timeline is if whatever he changes in that day changes the circumstances around the Iris kiss. Like say if something makes Iris put a break on her and Eddie earlier that day vs. that thing never happens so Iris/Eddie are going kinda strong.

Big changes coming out of a tiny change would be foreshadowing the arc where Barry does go back to save his mom.
I think we're going to be in our own little club where we believe he's kissing her on the second day. And where's Linda in all of this?

I think the darkness will involve whatever Weather Wizard's doing and the lightness will come with Iris. I'm more inclined to believe he's kissing her in the right time line because he appears to her as Barry and not the Flash. But what do I know?

Having said that, I'm cool with it being in an alternate universe as long as it's not annoying and/or disappointing.
The Lord is my shepherd.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:50 AM
Obsessed Fan

I knew that kiss was going to be like Stargate SG1's episode "Window of Opportunity" Now I'm even more excited to see this groundhog day episode.

Icon by Me
Old 02-03-2015, 01:19 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParsD (View Post)
Yeah. She looks distraught in at least one of the leaked pics so I'm thinking something has to happen to facilitate that moment between her and Barry, especially if she's confessing her feelings.

Quote:

Yeah. Or maybe he knows he can't or has to avoid kissing/pursuing her, lest it leads to something bad happening. That kinda ties into what I was saying earlier but this would more so be something that's out of his control.

I'm not sure Barry will actually go back and try to save his mom, or if he does, he'll obviously discover that doing so would screw up the future or certain events in the future. I'd like if they explored that though.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:12 AM
Addicted Fan

Leelala - The same day they were shooting the kiss there was a picture of Iris (in the same outfit as for the kiss) staring at something afar and looking distraught. Also that same day they were shooting the explosion of Joe's car which Barry is *supposed* to be inside.

NaijaChiqa- It's a happy place to be...until the episode airs and we're proven wrong, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_chick (View Post)
Yeah. Or maybe he knows he can't or has to avoid kissing/pursuing her, lest it leads to something bad happening. That kinda ties into what I was saying earlier but this would more so be something that's out of his control.

I'm not sure Barry will actually go back and try to save his mom, or if he does, he'll obviously discover that doing so would screw up the future or certain events in the future. I'd like if they explored that though.
Yeah, it could personal about putting Iris in danger like you said, or something really messed up happens in that timeline that Barry wants to avoid enough that he'd risk giving up his chance to be with Iris.

I think they'll save the plot where he goes back to save his mom for later seasons when Iris/Barry are together to give them angst. It's too bad we can't have Batman and Superman to show how nuts that timeline is.

Last edited by ParsD; 02-03-2015 at 04:32 AM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread