Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2015, 10:21 PM
Addicted Fan

Candice is probably putting a good face on it, just being the real life Disney Princess she always is.

But lol at the writers showing her mourning while the show as a whole is becoming lighter/more comic-y. They know that's not gonna endear her to anyone. People watch Flash for fun superhero action, not angsty melodrama and plenty already hate on Iris for being a killjoy in s1. Smh.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:23 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyO (View Post)

Agreed. But I also think they're bringing in Patty as a way to show us Iris' POV and have her pining for Barry. Once they put westallen together I don't see them having any messy break ups, so they're dragging it out as long as possible. I don't think they'll be together until mid season 3.

Its weird that Candice said they're going to have Iris grieve Eddie because it's important for fans to like Iris...I'm like what?! Eddie wasn't an important character and majority of people couldn't care less about him. Eddie only got semi relevant after he died. I don't think Iris not mourning Eddie for half the season is going to make the audience dislike her.
I think she was thinking that if Iris gets over Eddie's death too quickly and gets with Barry soon after Eddie's death, some fans would not like the character. Besides she loved Eddie and stuck by him till the end so I guess it would be seen out of character for her to quickly get over Eddie and get together with Barry.

Icon by Me
Old 06-18-2015, 11:26 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaSolTierra (View Post)
I think she was thinking that if Iris gets over Eddie's death too quickly and gets with Barry soon after Eddie's death, some fans would not like the character. Besides she loved Eddie and stuck by him till the end so I guess it would be seen out of character for her to quickly get over Eddie and get together with Barry.
well, if Barry was her true love and she had always really loved him deep down i'm sure people would be fine with it. esp because nobody cares about Eddie anyway. but that's not the angle they're going with.

i just didn't want Patty Spivot of all people to get to be Barry's first big romance. ugh.

i know they justify all this stuff like Iris being with Eddie and Barry being with Patty by saying it takes place in an alternate timeline anyway. but if that's what they're doing i want them to do some kind of parallel universe episodes where we see the "real" timeline where Barry and Iris are the couple they're supposed to be while we're waiting (and waiting forever) for it to happen in this one.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think people cared about Eddie. I saw videos of people crying about him dying on YouTube.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:37 PM
Extreme Fan

Why can Iris have a serious relationship and Barry can't? I mean, even when Iris was with Eddie the writers always made it clear westallen was number one. Eddie was basically a background character the whole season and going by the writers track record with mid game love interest (Linda and Ray from Arrow) that's most likely what we're getting with Wendy/Patty. I doubt Wentty will get much development outside of being Barry's love interest.

I've always been Iris West-Allen. I've always been yours.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:05 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyO (View Post)
Why can Iris have a serious relationship and Barry can't? I mean, even when Iris was with Eddie the writers always made it clear westallen was number one. Eddie was basically a background character the whole season and going by the writers track record with mid game love interest (Linda and Ray from Arrow) that's most likely what we're getting with Wendy/Patty. I doubt Wentty will get much development outside of being Barry's love interest.
Eddie was extremely minor for most of the season, that's true. but i feel like we're probably going to see a lot more of Patty than we did of Eddie. And we're going to have to see a lot more of Barry/Patty than we did Iris/Eddie, simply because Barry's the star of the show, and what's going on with him has to take up a lot more screentime.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:32 AM
Absolute Fan

I don't know, I kind of think Wentty (LOL SydneyO maybe we can call her Wetty??) she couldnt have more screen time than Eddie. Eddie was a series regular, is she going to be a regular or guest or reoccurring??

R.I.P Nelsan Ellis.. "Being different gives the world color"
Old 06-19-2015, 02:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParsD (View Post)
No, but in this case she's certainly getting groomed for it.

I remember an interview with the GG execs once about temporary LI (and that show had a ton) and they talked about how they always have to make sure the new character doesn't outshine their lead, otherwise it would be a disservice to the lead/actor. That just seems like common sense.

Now consider Felicity 2.0, already manufactured to emulate who the EPs/CW consider the "most popular" character in Flarrow verse. She's a badass cop, but she's also science minded and super smart, Barry's nerdy match, and already has a huge crush on him which will endear to Barry fangirls/boys. On top of all that, she's already set up to be better integrated into the show/main plots than the actual female lead.

Unless casting goes terribly amiss, Patty is deliberately set up to be better liked than Iris, and that's leaving out the race side of the issue. She's promoted as Flash's Felicity and that says it all.
It's sad how on point you probably are about this.

Candice probably does see some of it, but what can she say?

We will take the best parts of ourselves and make them gold.
icon credit: lucy
Old 06-19-2015, 02:26 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leelala (View Post)
I don't know, I kind of think Wentty (LOL SydneyO maybe we can call her Wetty??) she couldnt have more screen time than Eddie. Eddie was a series regular, is she going to be a regular or guest or reoccurring??
Wetty does sounds better If I remember correctly she's going to be reoccurring. Wow, Rick was a regular ? They sure didn't treat him like one.

I've always been Iris West-Allen. I've always been yours.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:39 AM
Passionate Fan

Ugh the negativity is just too much! Clearly the whole like Felicity got everyone fuming.

The discussion is now getting trivial as it sometime during hellatus!

Hopefully DragonCon info will make its way over here till then
Old 06-19-2015, 02:53 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by london grammar (View Post)
It's sad how on point you probably are about this.

Candice probably does see some of it, but what can she say?
When they announced Wendy, Candice tweeted a bunch of stuff on the importance of representation so... Sigh.

I'd kill to be dead wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulContradiction (View Post)
Ugh the negativity is just too much! Clearly the whole like Felicity got everyone fuming.
Negativity? Lol, all the (imo baseless) positivity is eerily reminding me of circa 1.16 when most of the fandom refused to believe Iris just lost her chance at having a SL. What reason do we have to think Iris won't be sidelined in s2 after she was for most of s1?

Last edited by ParsD; 06-19-2015 at 03:39 AM
Old 06-19-2015, 04:10 AM
Total Fan

I'm annoyed/concerned about Barry/Patty as well, but if it ends the way it did in the comic, then I can see the reasons for it.

In the comic, Patty was jealous of the Iris/Barry friendship, yes... but she also dumped HER Barry when an alt-future!Barry went on a killing spree, even though she KNEW they weren't the same person. HER Barry was stuck in some jungle version of the speedforce while alt-future!Barry was running amok. Then, when HER Barry finally found his way back, the two had this 'lovely' interaction:

Barry: All that I've been through, the only thing that kept me going was knowing that when I made it back, I could step through this door and run straight into your arms.
Patty: Barry, I'm leaving.
Barry: Patty, what? What is this? It's ME. REALLY me!
Patty: I know it's you, Barry. But HE was a monster, a murderer. When I look at your face, I only see HIS.

And she just walks out on him without another word, leaving Barry really confused and heartbroken.

They're probably not going to do the whole Jungle!Speedforce/alt-future!Barry thing due to budgetary constraints, but my theory is that TV!Patty won't be able to deal with the weirdness that comes with dating "The Flash", and this will be contrasted with Iris being totally accepting of it, and even encouraging/supporting him.

At least, that's how I see it playing out .

Last edited by Elektra; 06-19-2015 at 05:06 AM
Old 06-19-2015, 05:08 AM
Supreme Fan

I know the spoilers don't leave much room for hope and optimism but I don't get why they should replace Iris/Candice, drop WA and recreate another Olicity situation. Olicity wasn't planned, they were aware people hated Laurel and Oliver/Laurel and loved Felicity but they obviously don't have the same problem with Iris and WA, I'm not saying they are universally loved but they are nowhere as loathed as O/L. They gave WA a better backstory than the toxic one they gave O/L, chemistry tested Grant and Candice and let Iris on the secret by the end of S1, so they tried hard not to make the same mistakes they made on Arrow. At the beginning I was afraid SB was gonna be the new Olicity, but both the writing and the fan reactions proved me wrong. People are already complaining about Wendy's introduction and I'm sure the writers will have to deal with:
1) angry WA shippers;
2) angry SB shippers;
3) Felicity fans that loathe the idea of a carbon copy of their heroine;
4) people who hate love interests on superhero shows regardless of their personality;
5) comics purists.

I read the comments on the TVLine article, on Twitter and other forums and non-shippers are sure Wendy is gonna ruin The Flash like Felicity ruined Arrow (I don't agree with this but that's how a lot of fanboys think). Even if the writers manage to sideline Iris and make Wendy more likeable and relevant I'm sure her supposed popularity won't last once she's upgraded to major love interest and female lead (?). Felicity was loved in S2 but non-shippers bashed her left and right in S3, who's gonna bet that will happen with Wendy, too? But Wendy's situation is even worse, because no matter how perfect she is, hardcore Iris/WA fans won't stop rooting for her, same with Caitlin/SB fans (the real ones, not the salty ones who threw a party once Wendy was announced beacuse if SB doesn't happen, WA doesn't have to happen either).

That being said, why should they do a bait and switch with Iris? They don't want to be accused of racism, right?

I'm fine with Iris grieving, I just don't want her to cry and be angry 24/7. I'd like for her to be a bit colder and tougher, I want the writers to really focus on her journalism arc and her friendship with Barry. And I want her to have a friend, preferably female (not Wendy), in which she can confide, they don't have to create a new character, Caitlin or Linda could work.

Last edited by FireQueen; 06-19-2015 at 11:25 AM
Old 06-19-2015, 05:57 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireQueen (View Post)
That being said, why should they do a bait and switch with Iris? They don't want to be accused of racism, right?
I don't think CW or the EPs care. Considering how whitewash happy Arrow is... And look at the disrespectful way CW treats CP.

Last edited by ParsD; 06-19-2015 at 06:09 AM
Old 06-19-2015, 06:27 AM
Master Fan

SB shippers really could care less about Wendy. We are past that already. At least for most of us. We're just gonna enjoy the nice scenes we'll have between Barry and Caitlin and also enjoy the Ronnie/Cailtin story. Cause most of us actually like them.

As for WA shippers...I don't know...why be angry? Did you really Iris and Barry would be together right away? Did you not expect other third parties being thrown in the middle? It took years for Lois and Clarke to be together on Smallville or Clarke and Lana, Iris and Barry are no exceptions.

"μ•„ μ•„κΉŒλŠ” λͺ» λ°›μ•„μ„œ λ―Έμ•ˆν•΄
친ꡬλ₯Ό λ§Œλ‚˜λŠλΌ
shy shy shy
Closed Thread   Post New Thread