Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2014, 01:43 AM
New Fan

My first post!

I've really bought into the Atticus and Rose relationship. I've just enjoyed watching the lightness of the story.

My theory as to the context of the pic with Atticus and the lady of the night…

In the Daily Telegraph it says 'Young Rose is expected to walk down the aisle with her new beau Atticus Aldridge, despite the presence of a mischief-maker on his stag do.'

Downton Abbey: Anna and Mr Bates behind bars in first-look pictures of finale - Telegraph

In the trailer for the finale episode we see Atticus and his father engaged in a heated conversation and Atticus says 'I need your word it wasn't you.'

So I wonder if his father is behind the woman's presence in Atticus's room? In an attempt to perhaps show Atticus that he isn't ready for marriage or at the very least to cause problems between Atticus and Rose?

Just my speculation, but I'm actually hoping that Atticus is a good guy, as the marriage will be difficult enough as it is!
Old 11-05-2014, 02:42 AM
Loyal Fan

I think if Rose and Atticus really tie the knot, it means that Rose is indeed heading out of the show. I'm sad about it, because I liked her.

I'm not much interested in Atticus though. I think the whole story has just been too rushed and we don't know anything about him except that he is a bit awkward and very nice.

I guess I'm too old for that kind of fairy-tale story, it get's on my nerves. So for me, either they come back to get divorced (Drama!!!) or they should stay away and we hear about them from time to time in the odd letter.

We know they are in the CS though, so that is pretty much enough candy-sweet-Rose/Atticus I can bear.

I wish Sunday's episode would already be over. Enduring a wedding when I'm so worried about Tom will be so awful. Who cares about Rose/Atticus! For me Tom is the only character in the whole show that really matters and I'm already feeling sick in my stomach about his decision.
And I know they won't have mercy. They will leave us hanging till Christmas I'm sure and I really, really hate it!

I don't even know if I should watch, or just wait until after Christmas and then ask what happened before I watch it.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:38 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plum59 (View Post)
My first post!
Welcome to the board and to the thread!

Quote:
I've really bought into the Atticus and Rose relationship. I've just enjoyed watching the lightness of the story.
I like it, too. The scene where they quickly grip hands at the dinner table during Larry's speech was, to me, one of the more memorable moments of the episode and maybe of the season. It said so much without any words at all.

Quote:
My theory as to the context of the pic with Atticus and the lady of the night…

In the Daily Telegraph it says 'Young Rose is expected to walk down the aisle with her new beau Atticus Aldridge, despite the presence of a mischief-maker on his stag do.'

Downton Abbey: Anna and Mr Bates behind bars in first-look pictures of finale - Telegraph

In the trailer for the finale episode we see Atticus and his father engaged in a heated conversation and Atticus says 'I need your word it wasn't you.'

So I wonder if his father is behind the woman's presence in Atticus's room? In an attempt to perhaps show Atticus that he isn't ready for marriage or at the very least to cause problems between Atticus and Rose?

Just my speculation, but I'm actually hoping that Atticus is a good guy, as the marriage will be difficult enough as it is!
I actually think you're right -- it felt like a set-up to me when the pictures were released, and then the promo seemed to confirm it. There's also another clip in one of the promos where Lady Sinderby seems to confront her husband about his attempt to stop the wedding, and he looks guilty/put out about something.

So I do think the wedding goes through...but there will likely be bumps along the way because of how quickly it's happening. But I like that, actually. I said either here or over on the DA board (I can't remember), that this is the first impulsive marriage JF has ever had on the show -- all of the other couples who got married took years to get to the altar. So this feels original and will likely bring with it complications that the other marriages didn't have, which makes for good drama.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:01 PM
Extreme Fan

According to someone on Digital Spy who has seen the episode, the real drama is not what they have already spoiled. So the wedding will go off despite the prank.

I don't know what drama she meant though, whether it has to do with Rose/Atticus or other characters. Probably both. She descried it as "high drama."

She also said Rose and Atticus have been the "golden children" but they "might have to grow up fast". So we'll see what that means.

I think it's possible the father cuts him off. That was not unusual in these situations. Sure, Atticus is his heir but he might have a nephew or something. Then they'd have little money (Rose has none) and that would be an eye-opener for her. I don't think she cares about status but she's not in the least bit prepared to live without money.

Like Andorra I am more concerned about Tom's heart-wrenching decision and the fact that they will almost certainly leave us hanging until the CS to find out if he's staying for good.

I am not very interested in seeing Rose/Atticus marital drama next season. Mainly because I just don't know him. I care about Rose, but not him. He's nice but that's about it. I would prefer they divorce rather than drag it out and have to watch them contend with problems when I am not invested in the relationship. I do think having an impulsive marriage for once is a nice change of pace, but the problem is it's just hard to care much about a couple that was thrown together so hastily.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:52 PM
Part-Time Fan

Of course they will leave us hanging until Christmas! I'm not expecting anything else.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:08 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by northboundtrain (View Post)
Welcome to the board and to the thread!
So I do think the wedding goes through...but there will likely be bumps along the way because of how quickly it's happening. But I like that, actually. I said either here or over on the DA board (I can't remember), that this is the first impulsive marriage JF has ever had on the show -- all of the other couples who got married took years to get to the altar. So this feels original and will likely bring with it complications that the other marriages didn't have, which makes for good drama.
I agree. I like that, for once, we have a couple that simply met, fell in love, and decided to get married, unlike Mary/Matthew, Sybil /Tom and Anna/Bates. It is original.
That said, I can't say I really "ship" them, I prefer the couples who don't instantly fall in love as soon as they meet. Also maybe Atticus should've been introduced a bit sooner, because we don't really know him, even if he seems a nice guy.
But it will be interesting to see what happens to them after the wedding.

Quote:
I think it's possible the father cuts him off. That was not unusual in these situations. Sure, Atticus is his heir but he might have a nephew or something. Then they'd have little money (Rose has none) and that would be an eye-opener for her. I don't think she cares about status but she's not in the least bit prepared to live without money.
This is a very good guess... let's see what happens in the CS, even if she looked quite nicely dressed in the BTS pics.

I think in S6, Rose will only be in 4-6 episodes, like Rosamund. She will appear here and there when someting major happens or they'll visit her etc.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:01 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshBench (View Post)
According to someone on Digital Spy who has seen the episode, the real drama is not what they have already spoiled. So the wedding will go off despite the prank.

I don't know what drama she meant though, whether it has to do with Rose/Atticus or other characters. Probably both. She descried it as "high drama."

She also said Rose and Atticus have been the "golden children" but they "might have to grow up fast". So we'll see what that means.
Ooh, that sounds interesting. Was it an article? Or just comments somewhere? And was there any hint about Mary's story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireK80 (View Post)
That said, I can't say I really "ship" them, I prefer the couples who don't instantly fall in love as soon as they meet. Also maybe Atticus should've been introduced a bit sooner, because we don't really know him, even if he seems a nice guy.
But it will be interesting to see what happens to them after the wedding.
Yeah, right now I think they're cute and I hope they work it out, but that's more about the adorable factor than about any strong emotional investment on my part. Rose is nice, but I don't value her as a character the way I value Mary, and as you said, we don't know much about Atticus. Maybe that will change if they stick around S6.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:17 AM
Extreme Fan

No hints about Mary's story. She saw the episode and just said "high drama" and that the trailer doesn't tell us the juiciest stuff. But she always praises everything about the show to the high heavens, frankly. You can't criticize a damned thing or she jumps on you. But then if she says there is drama we are not seeing, I believe it. That's common anyway.

As for the way Rose is dressed in the BTS pics from the CS, I agree her clothes are nice but then so were Sybils after she married Tom. I don't think they'd be living in poverty or anything, just having a lot less than she was used to.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:55 AM
Part-Time Fan

well, we now have some hints about Mary's story in the CS: a new suitor is coming!

BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Mistletoe treat for Lady Mary | Daily Mail Online
Old 11-07-2014, 03:59 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
well, we now have some hints about Mary's story in the CS: a new suitor is coming!

BAZ BAMIGBOYE: Mistletoe treat for Lady Mary* | Daily Mail Online
That is so terrific news!!! Matthew Goode is amazing!

AND he has quite the bromance with Allen actually:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klbvkD1Sl_k
Old 11-07-2014, 04:30 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andorra (View Post)
That is so terrific news!!! Matthew Goode is amazing!
This morning everyone in my Tumblr timeline was crazy about MG joining the show and I was like "Ehm, who?" LOLOLOL

So I guess S6 will be this guy vs Blake? Unless Blake is out of the competition for good? I'm a bit tired of love triangles involving Mary, TBH.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:02 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
This morning everyone in my Tumblr timeline was crazy about MG joining the show and I was like "Ehm, who?" LOLOLOL

So I guess S6 will be this guy vs Blake? Unless Blake is out of the competition for good? I'm a bit tired of love triangles involving Mary, TBH.
I find myself being very skeptical about this news. The Daily Mail isn't the most reliable is it? The author writes that he's been told Matthew Goode will make regular appearances in S6. Well my first question is who told him? I follow that up with why assume he's there for Mary?

My skepticism grew even more when I saw that Allen Leech and Matthew Goode are buddies. Allen is such a joker and likes to tease. He may be the source for all we know.

The story said MG was seen on set of the CS. On set in costume or was he there just visiting? If he's in the CS then that makes things a ton clearer.

I hope the story is true. I like him on the Good Wife and have hoped he and Alicia might get together. Plus if he is slated to be on Downton that ensures Charles won't be the one for Mary either. If it isn't going to be Tony, I'd much prefer it not be Charles either. I doubt JF would do another triangle. I don't think I could take another love triangle story.

It's kind of funny that the actor who may play Mary's new love interest is named Matthew.

S5 hasn't even finished airing and the speculation for S6 has already started. How fun! Of course we got the official news of a S6 yesterday. Not a surprise but great to hear nonetheless.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:33 AM
Extreme Fan

Well they haven't denied it, IDK. It sort of makes sense? Although I am kind of surprised they were able to get someone relatively well-known. I know British actors do lots of different projects but he had a very successful series in the US so he doesn't need Downton as a launch pad to be recognized or anything.

He's also in The Imitation Game, although Allen is too.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:07 PM
Loyal Fan

I could take or leave MG, to be honest, and still see a lot of potential for Mary/Charles, but if it can't be Charles then I'm just glad it also wouldn't be Tony, Evelyn or Tom, all of whom I find problematic in different ways.

That said, I don't think we have enough information about the size of MG's part and exactly what he'd be doing both in the CS and in S6. I was actually thinking it would make far more sense for him to romance Edith, as surely the next logical storyline for her would be to see if she could ever find a man who will accept Marigold as his own. After all, one of the Merton boys (can't remember which) did make that crack at dinner....

So we'll have to see. IMO, 508 should give us some indication of what, if anything, the future holds for Mary/Charles when/if he returns from Poland.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Bridgerton
Heartstopper

omg Matthew Goode yes but isn't he on The Good Wife?

oh I wouldn't mind it if he's for Edith. This girl needs some love! and he's super hot.

Last edited by AlwaysCB; 11-07-2014 at 01:25 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread