Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Part-Time Fan

Don't bother with the tweet updates anymore:

live blog

As for the tweet about Branson not looking his best, I bet it is a play on the fact that Carson refuses to dress him and the tweeter is just being a troll. I bet S/B had like 3 seconds of actual screen time in the trailer.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:02 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaoyue (View Post)

live blog

As for the tweet about Branson not looking his best, I bet it is a play on the fact that Carson refuses to dress him and the tweeter is just being a troll. I bet S/B had like 3 seconds of actual screen time in the trailer.
Also another tweet said "Branson at the dinner table is amazing.". So it's oprobably a good scene!
Old 07-21-2012, 09:07 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Spoilers
Chicago PD

Thanks for all the goodies!
and when we get together
the summer never ends...
Old 07-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thank you for all the new info guys!

Here's another article.

TCA 2012: 'Downton Abbey' Cast, Creators Offer Sneak Peak of Season Three - Hollywood Reporter
Old 07-22-2012, 04:45 AM
Extreme Fan

Hey Mr. Carson, if you don't want to dress the "grubby little chauffeur", there's a lot of ladies who'd like to UNdress him!

T-shirt time!

As if Branson would let another guy dress him.

And it sounds like Mr. Swire leaves Matthew some money, which could help the family through their financial crisis. And he doesn't want to take it.

If that's true, I don't really blame him. It would seem like blood money.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:36 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaoyue (View Post)

live blog

The tweeter was not a troll. She's a HUGE fan of Branson and Sybil. She says he looked rough.

I'm think it might have to do with the birth of his child. Every father looks disheveled and stressed during that time.

Carson acting all uppity and snobbish doesn't surprise me but "grubby little chauffeur' has a spiteful cruelty to it that I wasn't expecting. I get that he's loyal to his master but dang dude chill out on the resentment and open your mind for half a second. Jeez!
Old 07-22-2012, 09:35 AM
Extreme Fan

I know right? Branson's never been grubby. He was always well-groomed and neat as a pin.

I want one of those DA posters with a picture of Tom and pregnant Sybil saying: "Keep calm and undress the grubby little chauffeur."
Old 07-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

So according to fatherdowling who was the critic who saw the trailer last night and tweeted about it, she followed up with this:

Quote:
To help or add to your worries: I saw the trailer at TCA last night. The dinner is a train wreck Branson ranting looking very disheveled (drunk?) ranting about how maybe the English should just get rid of all the Irish then the wont have to hear from them. And Sybil kind of chastises him.
So he's disheveled at the dinner and ranting. Obviously under the stress of being judged and difference of opinions against the Irish has set him off. Not a good start. But given how this is all we know, I'm sure more will come to light that puts it all into perspective.

I do like this bit of news though!

Quote:
Unexpected allies pop up when newlyweds Sybil and Tom return to Downton, with Isobel Crawley on Team Give Him A Chance
http://www.theinsider.com/tv/54086_D...ler/index.html
Old 07-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Elite Fan

Some new-ish quotes and information...

Quote:
9 Downton Abbey Spoilers: Trouble With Matthew and Mary, Lady Violet Meets Her Rival - Today's News: Our Take | TVGuide.com

2. O'Brien gets maternal. Is the dour lady's maid going soft? O'Brien's towering nephew is the new footman, and we see her acting in a downright nurturing fashion, even defending him to Thomas. Is the dastardly downstairs duo no longer on the same team?

3. Love still isn't easy. Although there's no real update on Bates and Anna (they're in love; he's still in prison), Matthew and Mary are bickering again... about what, it's unclear. "God, Matthew, how can you be so disappointing?" Lady Mary says to her fiancé. "Deep down, you're not on our side." Uh-oh!

4. Trading Downton for the poorhouse? It appears that the Earl of Grantham has made a very bad investment and has lost almost all of the family's fortune... including the money that Cora brought to their marriage. Interestingly, Lady Grantham isn't too bothered. "We have a wedding to celebrate," she says. "Let's make sure it's a great day. If it's to be our last, let's make it a wonderful last."

6. Matthew is randy... and may get a surprise. Despite his arguments with Mary, Matthew very pointedly tells his fiancée that he's looking forward to "all sorts of things" in addition to their wedding. Oh my! "Don't make me blush," Mary says. In other Matthew news, the attorney for the late Mr. Swire (aka Lavinia's father) has contacted him, which may bode well... or ill.

7. Trouble with Branson. Alas, youngest daughter Sibyl isn't experiencing complete marital bliss. Although it's nice to see the Earl soften enough to invite them to Downton for a dinner, Branson takes this opportunity to voice his rather liberal views, which doesn't sit well with the majority, including Sibyl. Also: Mr. Carson isn't too keen on playing valet to Branson, whom he still refers to as "that grubby little chauffeur."
Oddly... I like the idea of maternal O'Brien.

So the speculation about Matthew getting money from Lavinia and him not wanting to use it seems to be spot on.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I honestly think its going to be ok. This is the first dinner, Martha isn’t even there yet. Tom does seem to have a nice heart to heart with Matthew. Think Tom is a secret Mary/Matthew shipper.
ooooooh Okay I feel much better now! The prospect of Tom and Matthew also hitting it off and getting along is glorious!
Old 07-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Loyal Fan

Hmm now I can't wait for the press pack even more than before.

The Bransons - poor Tom must be really pushed to the edge if he's ranting at dinner, dishevelled. Maybe he received some really bad news from Ireland? Something happened to his mother or some other person from his family? Knowing Robert's "Fenian" remarks... But it's only a trailer, without a context, and such things always look worse there than on the show. I just feel so sorry for him... "grubby little chauffeur" and now some remarks about the Irish people...duh. Not surprising that Isobel is on the Bransons' side. Carson teaming up with Thomas, though? I really start to dislike Carson, I'm afraid. "Fenian grandchild" and now "grubby little chauffeur" - Robert and Carson are so alike. I understand that they may not be thrilled with S/T's marriage, but such remarks are simply cruel. I honestly feel so sorry for Tom. How much more will this guy have to endure? It's like he's insulted for different things from many sides - for his status, nationality, political opinions... .

I agree that there is probably going to be a plot connected with Mr. Swire's inheritance. While Matthew/Mary's dynamic is always going to be a love/hate one, with them clashing and later overcoming that, it's just sad that their next big quarrel is most probably once more about money and inheritance. It's also sad that the Crawleys will treat Matthew as unloyal only because he does not want to take Swire's money. It seems that Matthew is still not as aristocratic as the Crawleys may wish him to be and does not want to do something for the estate when it means compromising his moral scruples, like when Robert married Cora for money in order to save DA. I want him to show some backbone and not surrender to Mary and the Crawleys' wishes. They must learn that not everything must be sacrificed for the sake of their own needs. Oh, I'm just afraid that by the end of the series, I will come to really dislike the Crawleys.

And I hope that they won't try to marry Edith off for money. But maybe we'll see her rebel against that?

Thomas and O'Brien's rift - predictable, it was hinted throughout s2 and the CS.

Last edited by Patano; 07-22-2012 at 04:05 PM
Old 07-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Edith might be the only one to come off well this season. She's marrying Strallen after all.

Maybe he dies (of old age) and Edith becomes the benefactor to all his wealth and she saves Downton from financial ruin.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Loyal Fan

But is Strallan so wealthy? Cora in s1 says that he's definitely below them when it comes to position. He's also "only" a baronet, so would his fortune be enough to save an Earl's estate?

We know that there is going to be a wealthy suitor for Edith in s3, but also that she ultimately marries Strallan. So maybe the Crawleys will try to push her at that man in order to save Downton, but he's a bit Carlisle-like, and Edith does not want to be in a relationship with him even though she's quite desperate for marrying? Then she rebels and marries Strallan?

I just don't want her to marry Strallan for money. It would be even worse than just settling for him in order to be a married woman like her sisters.

Last edited by Patano; 07-22-2012 at 01:46 PM
Old 07-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Elite Fan

Wouldn't it be ironic if Robert and Cora try to push wealthy suiters Edith's way when they used to think that she would be the one to care for them in their old age? They really might try something like that if Matthew refuses the money.

Quote:
But there is an unlikely Mary-Matthew shipper in Downton when Branson tells Matthew, "You won't be happy with anyone else while Lady Mary walks the earth." Wise words. Wise words indeed.

Downton Abbey Get All The Scoop On Season Three| E! Online
The newest M/M shipper
Old 07-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Extreme Fan

OK, I am really not surprised by the Branson story. The guy has a steep learning curve, and one thing he needs to learn is no politics at dinner. We knew this was going to happen.

As for Carson's insult, I am almost glad. It's so nasty it will get the holdouts to sympathize with Tom a little.

And honestly? Based on the preview, I am pretty convinced that Matthew and Mary are indeed fighting about an inheritance from Mr. Swire. And I am far more sympathetic to a dinner rant about a truly unjust and vile situation than to an argument over money to which, let's face it, the Crawleys are not the least bit entitled. I am disappointed if this is the story, because it seems to erase Mary's S2 character development.

Ugh. Why?

Very happy about the M/T moment though! It's like wish fulfillment.

Allen Leech has signed on for S4. No word on Dan or JBF.

Last edited by HarshBench; 07-22-2012 at 01:57 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread