Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2012, 04:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Downton Abbey S&S #1 - There will be a wedding, a birth and a death!

Welcome to the Downton Abbey Spoilers & Speculation Thread

The series is set in the fictional Downton Abbey, the Yorkshire country house of the Earl and Countess of Grantham, and follows the lives of the aristocratic
Crawley family and their servants during the reign of King George V. The first series spans the two years before the Great War beginning with news of the sinking of the Titanic in 1912,
which sets the story in motion. The second series covers the years 1916 to 1919, and the 2011 Christmas Special covers the 1919 Christmas period, ending in early 1920.

source

Upstairs

The Crawley Family

The Right Honourable Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham - Hugh Bonneville - The Earl and the head of the Crawley family
The Right Honourable Cora Crawley, Countess of Grantham - Elizabeth McGovern - The American wife of the Earl
Lady Mary Josephine Crawley - Michelle Dockery - Eldest daughter of the Earl
Lady Edith Crawley - Laura Carmichael - Middle daughter of the Earl
Lady Sybil Crawley, later Lady Sybil Branson - Jessica Brown Findlay - Youngest daughter of the Earl
The Right Honourable Violet Crawley, Countess of Grantham - Maggie Smith - Dowager Countess and the Earl's mother
Mr Matthew Crawley - Dan Stevens - Third cousin, once removed, of the Earl; heir presumptive to the title and estate
Mrs Isobel Crawley - Penelope Wilton - Matthew's mother
Lady Rosamund Painswick - Samantha Bond - Sister of the Earl

Downstairs

The Staff

Charles Carson - Jim Carter - Butler
Elsie Hughes - Phyllis Logan - Housekeeper
John Bates - Brendan Coyle - Lord Grantham's valet
Sarah O'Brien - Siobhan Finneran - Lady Grantham's maid
Thomas Barrow - Rob James-Collier - Footman, later Lord Grantham's valet
William Mason - Thomas Howes - Footman
Anna Smith, later Anna Bates - Joanne Froggatt - Head housemaid
Gwen Dawson - Rose Leslie - Housemaid
Ethel Parks - Amy Nuttall -Housemaid
Beryl Patmore - Lesley Nicol - Cook
Daisy Robinson, later Daisy Mason - Sophie McShera - Kitchen maid
Tom Branson - Allen Leech - Chauffeur, later journalist and Lady Sybil's husband

Old 04-06-2012, 04:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
'Downton Abbey': Major Character Will Die in Season 3, Says Executive Producer

The British drama returns to small screens in the U.S. in January 2013.

Downton Abbey doesn't return for its third season until next year for U.S. television audiences, but executive producer Rebecca Eaton is revealing some big plot points for the British series -- including a major character's death.

“Somebody will be born, and somebody will die, somebody pretty key in the cast, unfortunately not going to make it. It’s the 1920s now," Eaton told the Orlando Sentinel.

A big death is not a surprise for viewers of Julian Fellowes' Downton Abbey. In the first season, Kemal Pamuk made a splash with his death at Downton Abbey and last season, former footman William passed away after being injured in the war.

In the new season, viewers can also expect a wedding. "Matthew and Mary do get married," she revealed.

The arrival of Shirley MacLaine as Cora's mother will be significant for the drama. "There are some wonderful scenes between Maggie and Shirley MacLaine," said Eaton, "Shirley MacLaine being as ditsy as ever."

She continued: "And Maggie barely restraining her sneer in having to deal with this American. Maggie Smith is a handful, it's true. She's very difficult. She knows her worth and she's tricky on the set, but she delivers when the time comes."

Downton Abbey returns for season 3 in the U.S. in January 2013 on PBS.
'Downton Abbey': Major Character Will Die in Season 3, Says Executive Producer - Hollywood Reporter

Quote:
However, if you're down for spoilers, you're in luck. The Orlando Sentinel managed to get some details about Shirley MaLaine's time on the show and some other juicy tidbits out of "Masterpiece Theater" executive producer Rebecca Eaton. MacLaine joins the cast in Season 3 as Lady Cora's (Elizabeth McGovern) affluent mother.

As fans hoped, MacLaine will go toe-to-toe with Maggie Smith -- and she holds her own against the Dowager Countess. It seems the lords and ladies of Downton are in need of some extra cash. Enter MacLaine, who Eaton said is doing "wonderful" scenes with Smith.

"Maggie [is] barely restraining her sneer in having to deal with this American," Eaton said. "Maggie Smith is a handful, it's true. She's very difficult. She knows her worth, and she's tricky on the set, but she delivers when the time comes."

Rumors of cast changes for "Downton Abbey" Seasons 4 and 5 have run rampant for the last few months. According to TVLine, most of the stars have reportedly signed on, except Smith, Siobhan Finneran and Jessica Brown Findlay.

That news makes this spoiler all the more troubling: Eaton said somebody will die. "[S]omebody pretty key in the cast, [is] unfortunately not going to make it," she said. "It's the 1920s now."
'Downton Abbey' Season 3 Spoilers: A Marriage, Death And An American

Quote:
These are the first pictures of Oscar-winning legend Shirley MacLaine as she joins the cast of the smash-hit ITV1 drama to start filming the third series. Shirley, 77, plays Martha Levinson, the mother of Lady Cora (Elizabeth McGovern) who is the wife of Hugh Bonneville's Earl of Grantham, Robert Crawley.

The League of British Artists: Downton Abbey: First pictures of Shirley MacLaine as Martha Levinson (THE SUN)
Old 04-06-2012, 10:47 AM
MST Manager

Thanks for starting a thread for this show here at Spoilers.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:00 AM
New Fan

Super excited to see MaClaine and the Dame face off. It's gonna be epic. Isobel's not gonna know what do with herself, lol!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for starting a thread!
Old 04-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Extreme Fan

Who's gonna die? Maybe Carson?
Old 04-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks so much for starting the thread!
and when we get together
the summer never ends...
Old 04-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thank you for starting this thread!
Old 04-06-2012, 09:58 PM
New Fan

Hi Please add me. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:17 PM
Extreme Fan

So random question, in the 1910's/20's did American's have quasi British Accents or did they go away? LOL..I'm wondering how American's sounded during those years. (sorry lame ?)
Old 04-07-2012, 12:00 AM
New Fan

Glad to see this thread.

I'm beginning to agree with Harshbench that logically the character that isn't going to make it in S3 might be Carson. They've already had him collapse from exhaustion and illness respectively. Mrs. Hughes has admonished him on more than one occassion to reduce his workload. JF has done a good bit of foreshadowing that the man is a workaholic, doesn't take care of himself, and seems to constantly be on the verge of an explosion.

But it could also be Violet as she is an old woman by the standards of the time. Though I cannot recall seeing her ill or in otherwise poor health.

It's either one of those two. They represent the old order that was on its way out after WWI. To them your station in life was defined at birth. They find comfort in the immobility of that social order. Of course most of the Crawley family find the same reassurance in the old order. But, Carson has some underlying health issues, and Violet is the oldest.

Sybil's marriage to Tom is very central to the theme of social change in the show. Their new order union contrasts sharply with the old order. The former rising, and the latter declining. Especially for Carson, he finds it incomprehensible why anyone would want to leave their present station, all the while oblivious to fact that their motivation to leave is to improve their life. I actually see Violet as being less intransigent in this regard than Carson. Afterall, who wouldn't want to leave the position of Chauffeur, and no longer have to "bow and scrape."

So, my candidates for not making it in S3 are Violet because of her advanced age and Carson, because of his health, and he will find the new world of the 1920's too alien, too disordered for his worldview.

My fear is an over the top melodramatic storyline of disaster befalling the Bransons, my favorite couple. Which, I find less and less likely simply because they represent the future, and how crass would it be for a writer to kill the future? Also, the entire Sybil and Tom story arch has so many possibilities for plot development and drama. They will have their challenges and take a walk along the edge of danger but in the end they should be fine.

My vote: Carson
Runner up: Violet
The Unthinkable: ?
Old 04-07-2012, 03:19 AM
Loyal Fan

For some reason I think it could be Cora, with alot of American's coming over they may be able to replace her with someone however there is alot of new downstairs staff coming so who knows?
I'm worried it will be Branson or Sybil (Sybil more likely with Jess's blossoming film career) but I'd rather one of them die than have them split up or Tom do something stupid!
Old 04-07-2012, 05:45 AM
Loyal Fan

I'm copying this from an S/T thread. The full post is here , and it mentions also the (unlikely in my opinion) Sybil's death scenario. Why I don't believe in S/T/Baby Branson dying is also here , here and here .

My candidates:

I personally believe that we will say goodbye to one of the members of the older generation. Two young people were already killed off in s2, there’s no use in killing more.

Carson – firstly, he can be killed off for realism’s sake. He’s old enough to pass away naturally. On a symbolic level, his role is similar to the one Robert performs upstairs – he believes in the same aristocratic values and strives to preserve them. His death would also shake Downton a lot and has a considerable storyline potential. I also think that all the stressing in s2 that he wants to die at Downton may mean something.

Violet – again, there’s realism’s sake too. Keeping her alive for much longer would start to look ridiculous. She’s a strong woman but already lives longer than most of the people of her era. If there are further seasons, there will be most likely further time jumps, and I can’t believe in Violet dying off-screen. Violet’s character was mostly reduced to a comic relief and one-liners provider in s2. If her character continues for much longer, her iconic status may actually deteriorate. Her one-liners will start to become repetitive and people may actually become bored of them. I also don’t believe that an actress like Maggie Smith wants to be tied to a TV show for many years. Violet’s character deserves a proper goodbye; what if MS suddenly decides to leave the show?

Robert – here is the most storyline potential, not so much realism as with Carson and Violet. If s3 is the last season, he’s a goner because Matthew needs to inherit the estate at some point. Still, his death would “refresh” the show for the further seasons. Different ownership would surely mean big changes at Downton. Also, it would be also symbolic for a man who used to work for his own living like Matthew to become an Earl at a time so much associated with rapid social changes. Robert does not much fit into the new order, I think, and he is not willing to get accustomed to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btvs - formally cole's phoebe
(Sybil more likely with Jess's blossoming film career)
I don't think so. Even if JBF decided not to be in DA anymore, JF would rather send S/T somewhere. They are not tied to Downton after all. Imagine if for example Dan Stevens or Michelle Dockery chose to leave the show - that would be a real problem. With the Bransons there is no such problem - they may be easily written off with maybe some guest appearances.

And I also wanted to say the I completely agree with Secunda's post. My thoughts exactly .

Last edited by Patano; 04-10-2012 at 03:24 AM
Old 04-07-2012, 08:21 AM
Master Fan

FWIW, M/M fans believe that it's Matthew who is going to die because DS hasn't re-signed for S4 and S5.

- Captain Frederick Wentworth, Persuasion, Chapter 23
Scarlet|tumblr|Twitter|FF.net
Old 04-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Loyal Fan

Honestly? Matthew is the only character that I'm 100% sure isn't going to die. JF won't rehash "the new heir" plot. Besides, it was also made quite clear in s2 that he's indestructible . While I don't believe this info at all because (as I already said elsewhere) according to it 3/4 of the current cast won't re-sign, this may become a problem later if the show is continued. This is one of the reasons I think it will be better for Dowton to have only three seasons - the actors may later start to leave the show and nonsensical plotlines that JF never ever considered before may become a necessity.

Last edited by Patano; 04-07-2012 at 11:22 AM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread