Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 03:15 PM
Part-Time Fan

Okay... after many hours mulling over it I have decided that I'm content with this finale. I think, like most of us, I was a little disappointed at the lack of Shamy and L/P interaction, especially when there had been so much talk about 'big moments' and such.

As a Shamy shipper, I would have loved to have seen that frustration and disappointment that Amy had about the wedding be sorted out by Sheldon, to perhaps have him tell her she is gorgeous and doesn't need to be in a wedding for him/people to think so. That would have been just lovely... and similarly for L/P, it would have been nice to see some further development there as well. BUT the growth throughout this season for both couples, but particularly Shamy and Sheldon on his own, has been phenomenal. 523 sounds like a huge, huge step for the couple - to be blunt it truthfully is the real sexual awakening of Sheldon, in his own way. He considers his feelings toward, both emotional and sexual, talks to his best friend about his fantasties about her, and ultimately decides that if he can create that appropriate time and place for his inappropriate thoughts, and make her happy at the same time, then he'll do it. And he did. I firmly believe that it wasn't supposed to be 'cute' - it's a message.

And this is just 523 - the entire season has been huge for the couple, but this ep just rounds it off nicely. I think that to wish for more in the finale was selfish, given all of this growth and the events of the previous episode, and I am glad that Howard and Bernadette were able to marry before he went into space. They deserved that air time, and I am happy for them. And despite any other lack of Shamy throughout the episode, we got what I believe is the ultimate first step for Sheldon - physical, romantic contact initiated BY HIM. He is saying he can do this, he can start this slowly, and he wants to... and after such an eventful previous episode, in which he was confronted to do exactly that more (Amy was wishing for a fair bit more, but it's not the point!) it's incredible that he did so so soon, and pretty obvious that what she's said, his feelings and his chat with Leonard has really had a big impact on him.

In a lot of ways (and this applies to L/P as well as Shamy), I am actually quite glad with this outcome. After the last episode, and the way that the writers pulled that off, I would have hated to see them throw Sheldon into a situation he wasn't ready for, as a character and just in general, and not because I don't believe he's ready (I do) but because I don't really want this to be rushed; next season is going to be a whirlwind of emotions and flirtation and nerves for him with these new feelings, and that will be such a joy to watch. That is the exact journey that most of us Shamy shippers love; that there is mystery and it is new and exciting and will take a little time. And it's now fairly firmly planted in all of our heads that they are NOT they innocent little couple people want them to be (which irritates me no end) - they are adults, with their own issues they need to work through to get to where they both want to be.

So, ultimately, I am happy with the outcome. It may not be the most shocking, eventful finale they've ever had, but it is sweet, and was the right move for the relationship of Howard and Bernadette, and for Shamy and L/P in smaller ways.

And thank you Sprinkles for your report!

ETA - And the fact that Amy called him sexy, and by the sounds of it he didn't mind, is also a great step in the right direction, and I look forward to seeing that line!!!
Old 04-18-2012, 03:17 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyrani (View Post)
Countdown has begun until someone in the interwebs opines that Sheldon would have grabbed the hand of the Gorn if it had been sitting next to him under the same circumstances...
What? I don't buy that at all. It would be different if, say, he'd run into the room all excited about something and grabbed Amy's hand because she was the first person that happened to be standing there. But it seems like in the scene they've all been sitting there and watching for a while, so clearly he knows she's beside him and not someone else. Even if if it was just a spur-of-the-moment reaction instead of something he actually thought about, I really don't think he would have had the inclination at all to reach out in that way if it hadn't been Amy sitting there. And yes, I totally agree that in their relationship, touch is a big deal and not something that is initiated lightly (usually ). TLA makes it very, very clear that Sheldon is starting to think about the physical implications of being in a relationship, both in terms of just being attracted to the other person as well as what touch and closeness can lead to (ie the book). Even though the moment is lighthearted, I still think him taking her hand is big because of this. (And I will fight anyone who says otherwise! Okay, maybe not fight...but I will disagree very strongly with them! )

Hmm, we still haven't heard reactions from some people. Hopefully they're busy and not just too disappointed to post. Is it weird that the more I think about it all, the happier I am? I think we may have gone overboard a little bit speculation-wise and the reality of what could be fit into twenty minutes got away from us a bit, haha. I mean, I definitely understand still being disappointed, and that's totally fine if you are! But I'm think I'm pretty okay with everything. The group is together and they're all best friends forever, Howard and Bernadette got married, even though L/P are bickering (and that's probably what bothers me the most about it, that we didn't really get any good closure for the failed proposal besides the handholding at the end), they're still together, and heck, after The Stag Convergence taping report came out, I was mostly afraid we wouldn't get ANY Sheldon/Amy in the last two episodes, so to instead have a really cute date, Sheldon openly expressing his affection and attraction for her to another person (WHICH IS STILL SO BIG), Star Trek roleplay shenanigans, a flirty moment (I'm sorry, but I'm taking Sheldon's apparent lack of negative response to her calling him sexy and listing off the ingredients when she asked without any hesitation as his way of flirting back with her and you can't stop me, muahaha) AND some adorable handholding to look forward to is pretty darn awesome. So yeah, I think I'm good.

But that doesn't mean I'm not still formulating a wishlist for Season Six in my head.

Last edited by gemkazoni; 04-18-2012 at 03:49 PM
Old 04-18-2012, 03:18 PM
Addicted Fan

Lauren, gem - I can only

And the only appropriate words left to say.. boldly go, Sheldon Cooper!
Old 04-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Bringing this over from the news thread...
Big Bang Theory Season 5 Episode 23 Photos - TVLine

Love Leonard in the pink robe and Penny in a big t-shirt.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:38 PM
Total Fan

Psssst, gem. I agree with you.

I think that TLA got our expectations too high for the finale. Like I said before, this is a great episode specially if one doesn't see it as continuation of TLA. It stands out on its own. It is very funny and sweet. It is a nice set up for things to come. So for that.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:43 PM
Dedicated Fan

Thanks Craig! I can't believe we're already seeing pics for 523! No medical officer Amy photo, which is disappointing, but I love the one of Howard and Bernadette--the one where they look sort of like they're dancing.

Not to go all Sheldon or anything, but WOW Penny really needs to clean her apartment. Is it just me or does it look scarier than usual?

Icon by BlackWhiteRose
Old 04-18-2012, 03:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Hey guys!

I’m not reading any posts here because I don’t want to know anything else-please, I’m just reminding you all to be careful what you post elseware for us spoiler free people. Your Tumblr is your business, that’s fine, I have no right to ask you to not post there, but this is how I was spoiled for stuff. In my ask box.

I couldn't reply privately because it was anon, so I made the post I cropped below it for my dash. There is no way I could have just avoided a tag or unfollowed someone, I was still going to learn this info via my box. So please, everyone, if you're not sure if someone is spoiler free or not, please ask first.

(For the record, no, I'm not mad at what Penny said. I am glad they kept dating (IMO that's worse than an ILY after 7 months (never thought anything was wrong with that) and they're still dating so it's growth. And I'm glad Howard went to space. I'd just have preferred to not know in advance.)

Old 04-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The only way to stay spoiler free is to avoid the online world for the next month. I know BBT is a little more flexible when it comes to spoilers in the news thread than some other shows. Others prefer to know nothing, not even the ep title before watching the new ep.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Part-Time Fan

Oh wow thanks Craig!!! Those promo pics have made my day - wow!!!

Loving the Shamy dinner, and the one between Sheldon and Leonard - looks like a deep conversation right there... hehehe.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by modern_audrey (View Post)
Thanks Craig! I can't believe we're already seeing pics for 523! No medical officer Amy photo, which is disappointing, but I love the one of Howard and Bernadette--the one where they look sort of like they're dancing.

Not to go all Sheldon or anything, but WOW Penny really needs to clean her apartment. Is it just me or does it look scarier than usual?
Yeah it is messy, but the upside is if they are doing naked things in the living room there are always clothes on had if they are needed

BTW I just noticed the canister on the coffee table

ETA - okay my L&P wish list for S6:
- A real talk about their future including Leonard's proposal. No guy like to be told their proposal was a joke.
- Penny getting a new job or acting career!
- ILY from Penny to Leonard.
- Penny's last name.
- Meet Penny's mom.

okay its more a Penny wish list but still.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Extreme Fan

Loving the promo pics esp Shamy <3
Old 04-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Addicted Fan

dp due to internet problems
Old 04-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Addicted Fan

Thanks for posting the pics here! I love the ones of S/A and S/L. Two memorable discussions indeed.. Sheldon's expression in both clearly indicates 'I'm in trouble'.

H/B look cute dancing together!
Old 04-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Dedicated Fan

When Sheldon lists the pringles ingredients... and says his favorite is uniformity. Does anyone understand what he means by that? Because I really expected you guys to make a comment on that one.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123sprinkles (View Post)
When Sheldon lists the pringles ingredients... and says his favorite is uniformity. Does anyone understand what he means by that? Because I really expected you guys to make a comment on that one.
Sheldon likes uniformity,

Quote:
1. Always the same, as in character or degree; unvarying.
2. Conforming to one principle, standard, or rule; consistent.
3. Being the same as or consonant with another or others.
4. Unvaried in texture, color, or design.
uniformity - definition of uniformity by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

So after the taping did anything special happen, did they have a cast photo or something. Did the cast invite you out for Gelato
Closed Thread   Post New Thread