jjt
Master Fan

Becker: Spoilers and Speculations

from eonline:

Quote:
"Becker": The Doctor's Back In

by Bridget Byrne
Jun 17, 2003, 2:45 PM PT

Dr. John Becker has the right prescription after all.

After a somewhat surprising delay, CBS has ordered 13 new episodes of Becker, starring Ted Danson as the curmudgeon doctor.

Until this week, CBS had left the once popular sitcom off its new schedule. Daily Variety notes that insiders felt that the show's plug had been pulled for good, considering the Paramount Network TV production's five-season run of 117 episodes qualified the series for syndication, which, the trade says, would have meant the sitcom's future was only in reruns.

But now the Eye has given Becker life support. The new order indicates CBS will have the doctor sitcom on call to replace the inevitable dud on the net's new lineup.

Becker's creator and executive producer, Dave Hackel, tells E! Online that all CBS told him after the series wasn't announced as part of the 2003-04 schedule at the upfront presentations in New York in May was that "once they had got their ducks in order for the fall, then they would deal with midseason."

A spokeperson for CBS, concurs, saying it just happened that this was one of the years at the upfront presentations when priority was given to new programming and no midseason announcements were made. She says the network considers Becker a "proven performer" that can work in "so many places" on the network schedule.

Hackel thinks the network's decision is because it's better to have "on the bench...a show you know, than one you don't." He has no idea yet of air date, time slot or even "whether we'll be needed," to come off the bench, but he knows, "We'll be ready."

Becker, which started life as a midseason replacement, became a solid performer on Monday nights, usually ranking among the top 15 shows thanks to its can't-miss slot behind the potent Everybody Loves Raymond. But last season Becker was moved to Sundays at 8.30 p.m., where it averaged 10.7 million viewers, a 9 percent gain over the previous year for the time slot, but a considerable tumble from its old Monday numbers.

"I read in the trade papers this morning that network said we have a creatively terrific season," Hackel says. He's glad that the network had apparently recognized that "we are not out of stories," especially since Nancy Travis joined the cast last season, playing Chris Conner, Becker's optimistic love interest. (She fills the behind-the-neighborhood-diner-counter slot left vacant when Terry Farrell got booted at the end of season four.)

The sitcom also stars Alex Desert, Saverio Guerra, Shawnee Smith and Hattie Winston.

With Becker coming back to the CBS roster, it means both Danson and wife Mary Steenburgen, will have gigs on the network. This fall she'll play the mother of a girl who talks to God in Joan of Arcadia, the Eye's new Friday night drama.

In the meantime, CBS certainly hasn't been having any luck with its summer sitcoms. Audiences apparently don't buy Nathan Lane as a life-of-the-party congressman in Charlie Lawrence (ratings for its Sunday debut were 14 percent lower than a Becker repeat) and seem to have lost interest in what Baby Bob has to say on Fridays.

Maybe that's also part of the reason why the doctor's back in.
[*Edited- I put "spoilers and speculations" in the thread title so this wouldn't appear to be just a discussion thread. Thanks! -Nikki]

[ 12-28-2003: Message edited NikNak ]
Old 06-18-2003, 03:13 AM
Loyal Fan

I wish I still cared because I used to love Becker but I stopped watching it this season. I don't think the ratings dropped because of timeslot change but because of Nancy Travis. She has really ruined the show and can't hold a candle to Reggie. She's mean rather than funny.

Still, the cast is really talented and I'm sure they're happy.

Josh Brolin - I saw him first!
www.themoviemark.com
Old 07-02-2003, 03:25 PM
jjt
Master Fan

rerun reminder

Sunday, 13

Becker
Once Upon a Time
30 min.
Margaret looks back 10 years to her first meeting with John. She recalls persuading him to hire her and keep his practice open instead of closing shop and returning to Boston. At the diner, Bob hides from an angry tenant who wants him to fix a clogged drain. Franklin: Wendell Wright. Margaret: Hattie Winston. Bob: Saverio Guerra
Old 07-05-2003, 10:45 AM
NLA
Part-Time Fan

Read today in the paper that Becker has been renewed for the Fall season... Will run on Wednesday nights...
CBS is doing a comedy block in the 2nd hour of prime time...
60 Minutes II
King of Queens / BECKER
The Brothers of Poland

Becker replaces the Stones which will be a winter mid season replacement
Old 07-06-2003, 04:50 PM
NLA
Part-Time Fan

From the Futon Critic:
"Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 9:34 AM
'Becker' Lands Spot on CBS Fall Schedule
By Brian Ford Sullivan

CHICAGO (thefutoncritic.com) -- Citing a host of concerns about its upcoming Wednesday schedule, CBS announced yesterday it will push back its freshman comedy "The Stones" until midseason. In its place at 9:30/8:30c, the Eye has promoted "Becker" to a fall start. The network had previously ordered 13 episodes of the veteran comedy for midseason.

The news comes after growing nervousness by the network about pairing "King of Queens" with an unfamiliar sitcom on Wednesdays. CBS has had little success on the night with comedies and hopes that "Queens" and "Becker" combined will bring enough recognition to carve out an audience. "Queens" closed this past season in the lead-off spot on Monday nights while "Becker" aired on Sundays. CBS executives also hope the addition of "Becker" will provide a better lead-in to its new drama "The Brotherhood of Poland, N.H." at 10:00/9:00c.

This isn't the first time "Becker" has been pushed into a larger role than originally imagined. Last season the Ted Danson-led comedy was set to air Sundays at 8:30/7:30c following newcomer "Bram & Alice." As the fall approached, the Eye decided to put "Becker" at 8:00/7:00c in front of "Bram & Alice" over concerns that the new comedy couldn't tentpole the 8:00/7:00c spot. It turns out they were right: the freshman laffer was axed after four weeks on the air.

As for "The Stones," the comedy about two adult children (Jay Baruchel and Lindsay Sloane) who live with their divorcing parents (Robert Klein and Judith Light) will bow at some point during midseason."
Old 07-06-2003, 07:59 PM
jjt
Master Fan

NLA .. thanks much for the heads up. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2003, 10:26 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by That_70s_Ho:
<STRONG>I wish I still cared because I used to love Becker but I stopped watching it this season. I don't think the ratings dropped because of timeslot change but because of Nancy Travis. She has really ruined the show and can't hold a candle to Reggie. She's mean rather than funny.

Still, the cast is really talented and I'm sure they're happy.</STRONG>
What happened to Reggie anyway? I hadn't watched the show for a while - then the next time I tuned in she was gone and the Nancy Travis character was there. What happened? I liked her character.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:43 PM
NLA
Part-Time Fan

I was wondering the same thing... I found the following at: http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,9992,00.html

"
"Becker" Boots Terry Farrell

by Mark Armstrong
May 22, 2002, 3:00 PM PT

Well, if all else fails, there's always Star Trek conventions.

Terry Farrell, the former model and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine beauty who plays the diner owner Reggie on CBS' hit comedy Becker, has been let go from the series after four seasons, as producers have decided to take the Ted Danson show in a "new creative direction."

(No, we don't know what that means, either.) a d v e r t i s e m e n t

A spokeswoman for Paramount Network Television was mum about any details regarding Farrell's departure, saying only that the 38-year-old actress will not be back for any episodes next season.

The move comes at an especially bizarre time for Becker: Monday's cliffhanger season finale featured Farrell's character and Becker's new neighbor, played by Nancy Travis, both revealing their feelings for the doctor.

While promoting the show last month, Farrell didn't seem too peeved about Reggie's "on-off" relationship with Becker.

"They hit on that like three times a year, within sweeps, to make it look like it's more than it is," she told the Bergen County (New Jersey) Record. "You don't have to keep hammering away at it every show, you know."

Either way, Monday's episode wrapped up another successful season for the Monday-night comedy, as it averaged 16.3 million viewers following Everybody Loves Raymond. Next season, the comedy is moving to Sundays at 8:30 p.m.

This isn't the first time Farrell has had differences with the higher-ups. Last fall, she joined fellow Becker costars Shawnee Smith, Hattie Winston, Alex Desert and Saverio Guerra in filing a lawsuit against Paramount Network Television over a salary dispute. After staging a sickout, the fivesome eventually settled their squabble with the studio and production resumed.

Prior to Becker, Farrell was best known for her role as science officer Jadzia Dax on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. She also played the girlfriend of Rodney Dangerfield's son in the 1986 comedy Back to School. Meanwhile, the Iowa-born actress just finished shooting the Lifetime original movie Losing It, set to air in July. "
Old 07-26-2003, 09:26 AM
NLA
Part-Time Fan

Becker receives an Emmy nomination
"Guest Actress in a Comedy Series: Betty Garrett, "Becker," CBS; Georgia Engel, "Everybody Loves Raymond," CBS; Christina Applegate, "Friends," NBC; Cloris Leachman, "Malcolm in the Middle," Fox; Betty White, "Yes, Dear," CBS."
from http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?nav=hptop_ts
Old 10-19-2003, 09:10 PM
NLA
Part-Time Fan

Upcoming episodes of Becker (information from CBS)
10-22-03
"A Little Ho-mance" -- Becker finds it difficult to break the news to Jake when Jake's grandmother dies in a compromising position.
Jake is in a state of mourning following his grandmother’s passing, however, at the memorial service, Jake is reminded of his "Nana’s" many kind deeds, especially with her male friends. Meanwhile, Chris is beginning to think that Becker doesn’t have one romantic bone in his body until he does the unthinkable and attempts to knock her socks off.

10-29-03
"Spontaneous Combustion" -- Chris and Becker are sexually frustrated after many attempts to take their relationship to the next level in which nothing seems to be working, on BECKER, Wednesday, Oct. 29 (9:30-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

At her wit’s end, Chris decides to spice up their relationship and shows up at Becker's office for a little mid-day romp. A shocked Becker is reluctant at first but starts to respond, but they’re both in for another surprise. Meanwhile, Jake is continuing to have a hard time dealing with his nana's death, which is driving everyone crazy.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:38 PM
NLA
Part-Time Fan

Last I heard, CBS has decided to keep Becker. It was in limbo when the season began. But its holding its own after King of Queens. So it looks like 'the stones' will have to find another time period in the spring.

next on Becker... from CBS
Wednesday, Dec. 3, 9:30PM ET/PT "Chock Full ‘O Nuts"

When Becker and Chris' places of business are being over-run with loonies that have been roaming the streets ever since their halfway house was shut down, Becker decides to round up his new eccentric friends and takes the law into his own hands with an organized march for justice.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:28 AM
Elite Fan

After much discussion amongst ourselves and with a Super Moderator, along with concerns from regular posters here on the Spoilers Board, Nikki and I found it necessary to post these important reminders on each spoiler thread.

Spoiler sources can post dialogue from scripts, but the spoilers should be summarized and paraphrased, so please do not post long, entire pages of actual scripts or sides throughout the threads. In addition, we highly recommend, if not done already, that there be a spoiler compilation for each show at the beginning of each thread, preferably in the opening post(s), and this compilation should be updated and maintained as new spoilers are received, by an assigned person or persons, chosen collectively by posters on each individual thread. More importantly, please make sure you have permission to post spoilers from any website(s), and if permission is granted, you must give credit to that website(s) for all spoilers obtained.

Since the board is very active, Nikki and I have also decided to divide the threads up among the two of us, to make the board more manageable, and to monitor the threads as efficiently and thoroughly as humanly possible. In this way, each thread can be examined closely on a daily basis, and we will be able to ensure that the rules and guidelines for posting here are followed. Please see the Official Fan Forum Rules Thread at the top of the board for the post listing all the current threads, along with the assigned moderator.

We are trying our very best to make the Spoilers Board an interesting and fun place for everyone to post, and we realize that some of the aforementioned guidelines haven’t been followed as regularly and consistently as they should have been, but Nikki and I are working hard to make sure that we, as well as every poster here, adhere to all these rules in the future. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to PM and/or email either one of us. Thanks for your cooperation and happy posting!

It's Elementary my dear Watson
Old 02-04-2004, 09:57 PM
MST Manager

The show, Becker, has been cancelled, so Bel and I have decided to close this thread since there will be no further spoilers or upcoming episodes for this TV series. Please continue discussing the show and past episodes that have already aired on the Television Board here at FF. Thanks for being here with us on the Spoilers Board, and hopefully, we'll continue to see you around on other threads. If you have any questions, feel free to PM either one of us. Take care! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Nikki