Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ72389 (View Post)
I hated Laurel last season, but I always had "She'll become Black Canary eventually" to tide me over. But now? I have very little hope it will happen. I don't mind a few changes, but this it too much.

The thing is, it's always the female heroes being changed. They would never do this to Batman, Superman, or Green Arrow. But someone like Black Canary can't be done right on the shows she does appear? Catwoman gets a name change and has her movie about an evil cosmetic company. Show the female heroes the same respect you show the men, you know? It's ridiculous at this point.
That's so true. That's the same reason why I can't stand The Walking Dead. The female characters are NOTHING like their comic book characters.

I didn't hate Laurel but I understood why people didn't like her. She barely got a storyline but like you said I knew the wait will be worth it when she became BC. I'm going to be really pissed if they write her off and replace her with this new BC. It's just lazy writing to replace a character just because it takes more effort to improve the writing and the storylines for her.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer93 (View Post)
Wow, even with the writers' tendancy to do their own spin of the comics, this is weird.

I'm starting to think Laurel/Katie will be written out soon.
Me too and honestly, if they want to go the cannon route, I need the two leads to have that chemistry. Unfortunately, I'm not feeling it from them and that may be the issue for the writers. Lets face it, chemistry is very important with tv shows these days and sometimes that can grow alongside the writing, but not always. I've personally only been into two shows where the cannon couple didn't necessarily have strong chem. Still, they were great as individuals and they had strong writing. I personally haven't gotten anything from KC's individual portrayal of Laurel or her with SA's Oliver, but I understand the upset for those who maybe have.

Love was here. It made me complete, happy. How could I easily let it go?

my LJ - Icon credit is Luv!
Old 07-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Loyal Fan

Some clarification from Andrew Kreisberg.

Exclusive: Arrow Boss Sets the Record Straight on Black Canary Casting - Today's News: Our Take | TVGuide.com

So, damage control or is he being truthful? Time will tell, but for now, i choose to believe him.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Elite Fan

I choose to believe him too. So this new BC will be an original character. Still they unnecessary over complicated things.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:51 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Emma Watson
Nancy Drew

I think the new character is really her [recasted] sister. That would give Laurel an actual meaty storyline.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken crown (View Post)
I think the new character is really her [recasted] sister. That would give Laurel an actual meaty storyline.
That's a good theory and it could work.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Sara is dead. The show made that pretty clear with the ending of Salvation.

Not only that, Caity Lotz looks nothing like either Alex Kingston or Katie Cassidy.

Edit: Kreisberg's comments tell me that, just as they did with Deathstroke, they're making a different character - possibly an original one or else somebody from the wider DC mythos - the Black Canary initially and then 'evolving' the story so that Katie's Laurel eventually inherits the mantle. It's a nice way to give us the character without actually giving us the character, just as they've already given us Green Arrow but without yet referring to him as Green Arrow or giving us any of the character's traditional comic personality traits.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor

Last edited by DigificWriter; 07-19-2013 at 01:16 PM
Old 07-19-2013, 01:15 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Emma Watson
Nancy Drew

Well, I took the ending of "Salvation" to mean something completely different. They never actually proved one way or the other...just that the other girl wasn't Sara. I've seen way too many tv shows before to really believe she's dead for real.

And these two look alike to me:

So, I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Well, I took the ending of "Salvation" to mean something completely different. They never actually proved one way or the other...just that the other girl wasn't Sara. I've seen way too many tv shows before to really believe she's dead for real.
In TV nobody is really dead until they find the body.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:23 PM
Absolute Fan

^ There's really no reason to recast the role of Sara when the original actress - Jacqueine Macinnis Woods - is already a 'dead ringer' for both Alex Kingston (Dinah Lance the Elder) and Katie Cassidy (Laurel)... much more so than Caity Lotz.

Plus, Kreisberg's comments pretty much put paid to the idea that Lotz's character is a 'resurrected' Sara, making the point moot.
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
Old 07-19-2013, 01:26 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Emma Watson
Nancy Drew

They recast roles from pilots all the time. She was only in the pilot and right now is a soap opera actress. And I didn't get the impression from the comments. In fact, if anything, it made me think what I was already thinking more.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:14 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter (View Post)
^ There's really no reason to recast the role of Sara when the original actress - Jacqueine Macinnis Woods - is already a 'dead ringer' for both Alex Kingston (Dinah Lance the Elder) and Katie Cassidy (Laurel)... much more so than Caity Lotz.

Plus, Kreisberg's comments pretty much put paid to the idea that Lotz's character is a 'resurrected' Sara, making the point moot.
They do it all the time. Just because an actress is right for a small role, doesn't mean they're right when that role gets expanded on later. Willa Holland on The O.C., for example. One actress played her character in Season 1, then she took the role when they expanded on the role. It happens all the time.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Loyal Fan

It's comic con.

Here's a liveblog of the panel.
'Arrow' At Comic-Con: Stephen Amell, Cast And Creators Talk Season 2

Edit: trailer from comic-con
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/green_arrow/news/?a=83768

Last edited by killer93; 07-20-2013 at 06:10 PM
Old 07-20-2013, 06:14 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the links. It's nice to see them there together. Willa and Manu are missing though.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:20 PM
MD7
Passionate Fan

That trailer was all kinds of awesome. Very excited for Season 2.

Arrow @ Comic-Con: Will Season 2 Give Us Suicide Squad, a Black Canary and Green Arrow?
Closed Thread   Post New Thread