Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 07:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm a bit shocked myself, but not against the idea.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:19 PM
Loyal Fan

Lol so far, no one in the show is on the way of becoming their comic book counterpart, except Oliver (if you consider the hood to be green arrow, which some people don't).

I would have believe this is all part of "the plan" to eventually make Laurel Black Canary, but the article says the actress will become a reguler and Ollie's love interest so......we'll see where it goes, i guess.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:38 PM
Dedicated Fan

Now that's just random. Was not expecting that at all. I wonder if they've seen a lot of the dislike for Laurel since she is boring as can be, due to the writers not give her any real storylines, and are using that to switch it up and phase Laurel out? Depending on how Dinah is, I might not mind it too much. But this does feel really odd and unplanned. Hmm..
Old 07-18-2013, 07:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I've updated the opening. Let me know if I need to add anything else.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:52 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer93 (View Post)
Lol so far, no one in the show is on the way of becoming their comic book counterpart, except Oliver (if you consider the hood to be green arrow, which some people don't).

I would have believe this is all part of "the plan" to eventually make Laurel Black Canary, but the article says the actress will become a reguler and Ollie's love interest so......we'll see where it goes, i guess.
I agree and it's starting to get annoying. I don't understand why instead of giving BC to Laurel and try to make her storyline better they are bringing another character to be BC.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ring of fire (View Post)
I agree and it's starting to get annoying. I don't understand why instead of giving BC to Laurel and try to make her storyline better they are bringing another character to be BC.
That is exactly my problem. I love Katie and I didn't mind Laurel being a love interest for Ollie.. infact Ollie/Laurel are my OTP, but I don't want that to be all there is to her. I need the writers to explore Laurel without it being about Oliver and I wish for Laurel to have an exciting storyline next season just so that all her haters will stop attacking the character so immensely
Old 07-18-2013, 09:33 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan's Sweetheart♥ (View Post)
That is exactly my problem. I love Katie and I didn't mind Laurel being a love interest for Ollie.. infact Ollie/Laurel are my OTP, but I don't want that to be all there is to her. I need the writers to explore Laurel without it being about Oliver and I wish for Laurel to have an exciting storyline next season just so that all her haters will stop attacking the character so immensely
I think the hate comes mostly from shipping and for me that's silly so I don't care. And I really don't ship Oliver with anyone so all of his ships are ok for me.

But her character could get better storylines so I thought she would start becoming BC this new season. I just hope this Black Canary is her mentor and she takes the BC persona after this new BC dies.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:39 AM
Fan Forum Star

if that news is true, there will be three Dinah's in Arrow. Laurel (whose name was revealed in the pilot to be Dinah Laurel Lance, but for whatever reason goes by her middle name, probably because Dinah is her mother's name), Dinah Lance who is Laurel's mother. Now this person?

Although for all intents and purposes, I thought Dinah Lance (Alex Kingston) was supposed to be Dinah Drake in Arrow universe.

Now I could see them writing or killing off Laurel, for this new Dinah. But I would find it surprising, considering all the Easter eggs hints they dropped in S1 of Laurel eventually becoming BC. I believe Katie has dropped some hints as well.

I wouldn't say I'm necessary against this (new) Dinah being the BC. But I am somewhat skeptical of the news. But maybe some light would be shed on it at CC.

As for the Katie/Laurel haters, I'm not a hater, but I do hate the way they wrote Laurel in S1. It seemed like she didn't necessary have a storyline, outside being a love interest for Tommy & Oliver. (I actually felt the same way for Tommy as well, only as a love interest for Laurel). Now I do know a lot of people believed Laurel should be recasted, who knows with this new Dinah being the BC (assuming the casting news is true), and being a love interest for Oliver. It seems like the fans that want Laurel gone is getting their wish. I just feel sorry for Katie.

Last edited by warangel88; 07-19-2013 at 01:44 AM
Old 07-19-2013, 06:23 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Bridgerton
Heartstopper

Just saw this set pic, but idk if it's her:

Old 07-19-2013, 06:31 AM
Loyal Fan

Yeah it could be.

I know the writers want to "surprise" their audience, but they should be careful to not add too many twists just for the heck of it, sometimes playing things straightforward is the better way.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:40 AM
Loyal Fan

I love Katie Cassidy and Dinah Lance, but Laurel is a flop. However, that's all because of the writing. That character would suck no matter who is playing her. If they want people to like her, they need to work at it. Actually give her focus outside of being Oliver's love interest and eating various meals.

As for the lack of chemistry, so what? There's an easy fix. Don't have them get together. I don't even think The New 52 versions of Green Arrow and Black Canary have met. So whatever. It's not going to make or break the characters. The history will always be there on Arrow, so it's not like it was never brought up, but they don't have to end up together. This could be as far as their relationship goes.

Her character comes with a potential spin-off already set-up anyway, so they can have her leave and be a part of a new show. Have her leave Starling City. She ends up in Gotham, where she meets an old collage friend, Barbara Gordon. Insert The Huntress and Starling and you've got a team of four kickass women with very different roles and personalities. A show I would chose of Arrow, honestly.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

the only problem with going the Birds of Prey route (and they have tried that before) is the fact that they are extremely strict about Batman characters being used. Barbara Gordon is part of the Bat-Family.

However, Felicity could be the "Oracle" in Arrow-universe. Well they already introduced Helena/Huntress. Even though they probably made her to much of a psycho.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:57 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer93 (View Post)
Yeah it could be.

I know the writers want to "surprise" their audience, but they should be careful to not add too many twists just for the heck of it, sometimes playing things straightforward is the better way.
As a long time comic fan, I don't mind a few changes here and there, but they need to know when it's too much or not necessary. And this is too much. These pointless changes, I don't like them. I don't like Star City being changed to Starling City. Or Dinah being called Laurel. They're pointless changes. They're being changed just to be changed.

I'm fine if this Black Canary is just a random who comes into contact with Laurel and trains her and then dies, so Laurel takes over the mantel. I'm fine with that. But if Dinah Lance never becomes Black Canary, that's just... no.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:01 AM
Loyal Fan

The reactions online are interesting, it's very divised but the general sentiment is that they're complicating things too much and that Cassidy is being screwed over.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:06 AM
Fan Forum Star

Well it does seem like Katie is being screwed over. In some ways it seems like this Dinah Drake (even though I thought Laurel's mom was supposed to be Dinah Drake) to be the BC, and GA true love interest. Even though they pretty much teased that Laurel would eventually become BC since S1.

Who knows maybe this Dinah does train Laurel, and something happens to her causing Laurel to take her position. I don't think we necessary know more about her role until CC.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread