Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2014, 09:29 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_chick (View Post)
An alive Tommy would add some excitement and intrigue to a very subpar season but I can't say I have much faith in the writers delivering a great story for him. Erasing his connection to Laurel would most certainly be ridiculous. Then again, the writers are trying it with O/L, so I would not be surprised.
Actually the direction of the show makes his connection to Laurel useless. Let me explain for you to grasp what they have done and that is if they walk with it. I mean if they don't walk with it, then it's a waste and I would say tie her to the most subpar character in creation on a tv show. <go ahead and , but you know I hate her and will dig when I can>

But let's say they don't. Let's say they share the same way of thinking when they saw the jewel they made out of Thea's character. Thea's character was pointless to say the least and just plain annoying at beast. Last season she just always reminded me of a chihuahua, but she easily faded to the background so meh.

However, at the end of S2, by having Merlyn take "train" and build a "relationship" with her is brilliant. If they had not kiled Merlyn but had let the issues between him and Laurel, and Oliver to build over S2...then the entire S3 would make Tommy Merlyn the rival big bad and just move the Atom to S4. But that didn't happen.

You bring Tommy back and due to the intricacies of the Lazarus Pit of leading people to madness, it is unlikely that if Tommy is alive by some way shape or form he's the same Tommy as before. He will also have a grudge against two people....for instance his last breath was to tell Oliver he was a killer. And if he was alive during early S2 and roaming around Starling City ( which wouldn't surprise me) he'd have seen two of his little buddies moving together. Laurel proved in parts of S1 and parts of S2 she never loved Tommy.

But Tommy's issue will be first and foremost his father and now the fact he has a sister. That means that Laurel would take a backseat to a warped familly dynamic. What is Laurel's significance to this story of family that is pervading all of Thea and Merlyn's story. So that Tommy will be intimately tied to this. If nuts now, what does he think about having Thea as a sister. What does he think about how far his father has gone? Especially since I'm of the mind to think that if Tommy's alive he'll have to do with Merlyn in some way shape or form. What does he think of a man he formerly saw as a brother, who slept with a woman he loved (who supposedly loved him but jumped ex's bones during their "break" with a quickness) actually be tied to him through this sister? There is also the issue that was Thea born during the same time as his mother being alive? I'm not sure, maybe or maybe not. How much did his father truly claim to love his mother? On and on that goes.

The point is, that the family and LoA (Lazarus Pit) storyline will really be the important ties to Tommy's story more so than Laurel could ever be. Their relationship is not exciting or relevant to the crux of the identity stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyChaos (View Post)
Its completely plausible Sara didn't know actually....Sara left the league right after the Undertaking, which 'Killed' Tommy...so if they did take him...how would she have known?
Thanks for letting me know. See, I thought she would have seen Tommy, especially since she kept ties with Nyssa and did go back to Nanda Parbat during S2 before returning to help Oliver take out Slade. Then she leaves again and comes back in S3. But I felt she had time to see who and what was up before the end of S2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatbastet (View Post)
Sara could've seen him. Everybody on this show conceals that they know somebody who is assumed dead is really alive or assumed alive is really dead. It'd be weirder for someone to actually tell a person's loved ones their true living/dead status than to lie about it. This is Arrow tradition!

And while yeah, the show is reinterpreting the history of the L/O relationship, that is very different from the L/T relationship. First, the latter took place onscreen, while the former is mostly something we were told happened back in the day but they never bothered to show us. Second, Tommy is not half of the show's main couple while Oliver is, so Tommy is available. Third, Tommy actually fits Laurel.

Thing is, when they made Oliver Bruce Lite instead of Sideline Snarker like in comics, when they made him a darker character, they also changed the type of woman he needs to be with. Arguments about chemistry side, Oliver and Laurel are both kind of morose characters. Tommy and Felicity are both light characters. Morose x morose does not work. I would never set up two morose people on a date. I would set them up with people who could lighten them up and make them laugh. Tommy made Laurel laugh. She needs that.
Nope, Felicity has shared hard truths with Oliver. I never bought Tommy and Laurel as believable to run with it. For those who think this is just pure Laurel hate. It's not. I never bought Thea and Roy either. I liked Laurel with Blood more, surprisingly.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:32 PM
Dedicated Fan

Well, I'm glad that the producers and writers recognized a severely toxic relationship and veered away from it. Oh, and I'm also glad that the producers and the network executives realized what an asset Emily Bett Rickards would be to Arrow.

So glad that everyone has something to be happy about.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:33 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorothyRules (View Post)
Well, I'm glad that the producers and writers recognized a severely toxic relationship and veered away from it. Oh, and I'm also glad that the producers and the network executives realized what an asset Emily Bett Rickards would be to Arrow.

I was thinking the same thing as this was my response below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glader|4|Life (View Post)
Laurel is awesome.. I am looking forward to more of her. I am just glad that the creators don't listen to the fandom about who they think is worthy of being
in their show
I'm glad they at least listen to the fandom on who has great chemistry with who and works well romantically on screen and what makes up the team. Win/Win I guess.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:55 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorothyRules (View Post)

I am glad too...but we probably have Greg Berlanti to thank for it

Ideals are peaceful; history is Violent -WarDaddy(FURY)
Old 12-21-2014, 10:33 PM
Absolute Fan

Yes, thank goodness for EBR, the savior! I really don't know how the show could have gone on without her.

But really, I'd like to thank the person who spared Flash fans from MG's shameless pandering, trolling and subpar storytelling. We certainly dodged a bullet there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaberella (View Post)
The point is, that the family and LoA (Lazarus Pit) storyline will really be the important ties to Tommy's story more so than Laurel could ever be. Their relationship is not exciting or relevant to the crux of the identity stories.
So basically, you think the writers are incapable of interweaving multiple plots, storylines and dynamics? That someone would have to take a backseat and conveniently, that would be Laurel? lol

Listen, I think it's rather obvious that this show suffers from a lack of creativity, good pacing and nuance. Nevertheless, the writers would get no pass from me for erasing/downplaying Laurel's significance to Tommy. That would just be bad storytelling, something I'll never co-sign.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:39 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_chick (View Post)
Yes, thank goodness for EBR, the savior! I really don't know how the show could have gone on without her.

But really, I'd like to thank the person who spared Flash fans from MG's shameless pandering, trolling and subpar storytelling. We certainly dodged a bullet there!

So basically, you think the writers are incapable of interweaving multiple plots, storylines and dynamics? That someone would have to take a backseat and conveniently, that would be Laurel? lol

Listen, I think it's rather obvious that this show suffers from a lack of creativity, good pacing and nuance. Nevertheless, the writers would get no pass from me for erasing/downplaying Laurel's significance to Tommy. That would just be bad storytelling, something I'll never co-sign.
The only part of this show I actually have a problem with, and think the writers struggle with, is LL. I think if she left the show would be just fine.

Ideals are peaceful; history is Violent -WarDaddy(FURY)
Old 12-21-2014, 10:58 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
The only part of this show I actually have a problem with, and think the writers struggle with, is LL. I think if she left the show would be just fine.
^Pretty much. I know I wouldn't miss her. Unfortunately she's probably not going anywhere, But Tommy coming back alive would probably help me like her more. He made her more likeable.
"Love is the best thing we do" ~Ted, HIMYM"Have courage and be kind." "Where there is kindness there is goodness. And where there is goodness there is magic."~ Cinderella "Men always choose the wrong things. They stalk power and wealth and frivolous things they think will make them whole. And it never does. It never does. Choose love. Choose your own path. Those are the roads to travel." ~The Royals Icon by http://alexia-drake.livejournal.com/
Old 12-21-2014, 11:02 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
I think the writers are struggling with a lot, actually. Bad pacing, underwhelming stories, marginalization of Diggle, lackluster, rushed romance. Laurel is hardly the main problem this season, IMO. I actually think the writers have done a good job with her so far...that is, when they've given her screentime. The only strong points to me have been The Magician episode, the crossover with Captain Boomerang and Nyssa and Ra's, who of course haven't been on much.

Last edited by scorpio_chick; 12-21-2014 at 11:08 PM
Old 12-21-2014, 11:13 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatbastet (View Post)
Sara could've seen him. Everybody on this show conceals that they know somebody who is assumed dead is really alive or assumed alive is really dead. It'd be weirder for someone to actually tell a person's loved ones their true living/dead status than to lie about it. This is Arrow tradition!

And while yeah, the show is reinterpreting the history of the L/O relationship, that is very different from the L/T relationship. First, the latter took place onscreen, while the former is mostly something we were told happened back in the day but they never bothered to show us. Second, Tommy is not half of the show's main couple while Oliver is, so Tommy is available. Third, Tommy actually fits Laurel.

Thing is, when they made Oliver Bruce Lite instead of Sideline Snarker like in comics, when they made him a darker character, they also changed the type of woman he needs to be with. Arguments about chemistry side, Oliver and Laurel are both kind of morose characters. Tommy and Felicity are both light characters. Morose x morose does not work. I would never set up two morose people on a date. I would set them up with people who could lighten them up and make them laugh. Tommy made Laurel laugh. She needs that.
^Sorry if I dp but i just had to say I think this makes a lot of sense and I agree. And It's not that two people with similar personalities can't have successful relatonshps, its what two people actually get out of the relationship. And with O/L at least, they have nothing to give each other or teach other in a romantic relationship. They would never be able to help each other grow and be the best version of themselves. They are doomed to just get stuck in a rut and be stuck in the past instead of moving forward. It just wouldn't be a beneficial relationship to either of them. They have nothing the other needs or wants in life. They would hinder each other's growth just by the nature of being wrong for each other. Bring each other down and eventualy sap the life out of each other is all I see happening with these. They both need (and want) things that they just can't give each other. That's why I think O/L will never work ever again (and never really worked in the first place).
"Love is the best thing we do" ~Ted, HIMYM"Have courage and be kind." "Where there is kindness there is goodness. And where there is goodness there is magic."~ Cinderella "Men always choose the wrong things. They stalk power and wealth and frivolous things they think will make them whole. And it never does. It never does. Choose love. Choose your own path. Those are the roads to travel." ~The Royals Icon by http://alexia-drake.livejournal.com/

Last edited by IBelieveInMiracles; 12-21-2014 at 11:22 PM
Old 12-21-2014, 11:21 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
LL always felt me like an awful residual character that could just as easily be written off as stay around.....from the first moment I saw her on sceen in Arrow....I couldn't ever seem to grow attached to anything about her....
Well, to be fair, there are quite a lot of people that could say the same about Felicity. Or Diggle. Or Roy. Or Thea. Or Quentin. Or Moira. Or pretty much anyone who isn't Oliver.

There are Laurel fans out there who like her on the show and who are looking forward to her becoming the Black Canary. There are also Arrow fans who do not care about the Olicity romance.

Different people watch for different reasons.

I personally could watch Arrow without Felicity in it.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:31 PM
Supreme Fan

Ugh when will we have the extended trailer. I need to see Laurel in costume!!!!
Old 12-21-2014, 11:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by semmanclana (View Post)
Ugh when will we have the extended trailer. I need to see Laurel in costume!!!!
I'm so excited to see her in costume too. Katie will look amazing!

'People that are meant to be together always find their way in the end'
BrookeღLucas l EdwardღBella l RonღHermione l RyanღTaylor
avi: NOLA504
Old 12-22-2014, 12:06 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I haven't heard a thing.... They've actually been pretty tight lipped the next 4 episodes....make me nervous....
I just want OL and Laurel scenes.

'People that are meant to be together always find their way in the end'
BrookeღLucas l EdwardღBella l RonღHermione l RyanღTaylor
avi: NOLA504
Old 12-22-2014, 12:46 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by falling slowly (View Post)
I just want OL and Laurel scenes.
Well Oliver will be gone for four episodes so there won't be any OL scenes for a while lol. (Or Oliver and anyone)
Old 12-22-2014, 01:34 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiesocks (View Post)
Well Oliver will be gone for four episodes so there won't be any OL scenes for a while lol. (Or Oliver and anyone)
True that. Well, except for flashbacks. Hello Hong Kong and extended hiatus due to lack of interest and refusal to support storylines that I have zero interest in .

Icon by the talented MelBelle
Closed Thread   Post New Thread