Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2014, 05:04 PM
MST Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGal (View Post)
The mentions and accolades are really high today. Looking forward to catching up on the show tomorrow.
I have a few episodes to catch up on as well.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:23 AM
Master Fan

Old 12-15-2014, 08:41 AM
Extreme Fan

I like the show but the more i see from Noah the more i dislike him and the more i find him unattractive. Also i can´t see any chemistry between those 2. Idk, is he supposed to be likeable? Coz i have no empathy for that guy at all. I have to even look away when there is a sexscene now because its just so ... yuck.

Oh and another thing. Does anyone hate the theme song as much as i do? Its one of the worst and annoying intro songs i have ever heard and i have to ff because its that bad that i can´t even listen to it. I am not kidding.

Last edited by Skylarc; 12-15-2014 at 08:49 AM
Old 12-15-2014, 09:57 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylarc (View Post)
I like the show but the more i see from Noah the more i dislike him and the more i find him unattractive. Also i can´t see any chemistry between those 2. Idk, is he supposed to be likeable? Coz i have no empathy for that guy at all. I have to even look away when there is a sexscene now because its just so ... yuck. Oh and another thing. Does anyone hate the theme song as much as i do? Its one of the worst and annoying intro songs i have ever heard and i have to ff because its that bad that i can´t even listen to it. I am not kidding.
I don't hate Noah. I think telling Helen that he wanted to be with Alison was the right thing to do. I wish he hadn't slept with Alison in his and Helen's bed first but he needed to end things with Helen. After last weeks episode when Helen pretty much emasculated him during their therapy session I get why he is feeling a disconnection from her. He has probably felt this way for the greater part of their marriage. Honestly it's so hard to figure out who's side to be on in this show because both sides are told so differently. I have been watching this show since episode 1 and the only thing I know for sure is that Alison and Noah had an affair lol. I think they really do love each other. I think Alison has a lot of issues she needs to work out. I cringed when she had sex with Oscar.

On the other note about the opening credits song. I hate it as well!
"Because Felicity has allowed him to get in touch with pieces of his personality and his character that he thought were long gone. And even better, new pieces he never knew were there. So she makes him a better person, and thus he loves her."-Stephen Amell on why Oliver loves Felicity
Olicity
-Maria (icon by me)
Old 12-15-2014, 10:35 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunksWorldWide (View Post)
I cringed when she had sex with Oscar.
Oh yeah that was cringeworthy as well.

I agree that Noah had to tell his wife but the way he did it didn´t sit well with me. Why was he so stunned that she threw him out? Wth did he expect? Its really hard to know what is really going on because as you said they both tell different storys. As a couple they just don´t work for me at all, i don´t know why. Maybe its the way the actor plays that character, wooden and boring without any passion. Maybe the character is supposed to be like that or its the casting.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:05 AM
Master Fan

I HATE that they made Alison has sex with Oscar, this is just so gross
Old 12-15-2014, 08:18 PM
Elite Fan

So bummed I don't have Showtime.
and when we get together
the summer never ends...
Old 12-16-2014, 09:54 AM
Master Fan

Alison reminds me of Fiona Gallagher in this episode

They just deserve to be happy
Old 12-16-2014, 10:40 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLastDayWithoutYou (View Post)
Alison reminds me of Fiona Gallagher in this episode

They just deserve to be happy
Now I know I would love this show. I love Fiona from Shameless. :/
and when we get together
the summer never ends...
Old 12-19-2014, 10:37 AM
MST Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunksWorldWide (View Post)
I wish he hadn't slept with Alison in his and Helen's bed first but he needed to end things with Helen.
That was disgusting, but not as horrid than Alison sleeping with Oscar.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:53 AM
Elite Fan

I have just watched the scene where Noah fights with Scotty and it was not believable at all. Scotty works on the Ranch is a big man and Noah is a School teacher and at least 10 years his senior. There is no way a teacher would be stronger than a manual worker unless he did loads of weights and did street fighting in his spare time - which he doesn't as far as the show has shown us.

Alison and Oscar? That is just as unbelievable. The show is getting more fantastical by the week. I don't know what they will bring up next.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

'The Affair' Creator on the Finale's Big Reveal - The Hollywood Reporter
Quote:
'The Affair' Creator on the Finale's Big Reveal

[Warning: This story contains spoilers from the season-one finale, Episode 10, of Showtime's The Affair.]

The Affair is heating up.

The answer to one of the show's most highly anticipated questions — whether Noah and Alison leave their respective spouses to be with each other — was revealed in the Showtime series' finale Sunday night. But just because the two extramarital lovers end up together doesn't mean the titular affair is over, says series creator Sarah Treem.

Though the focus of the split-perspective drama's first season has been the forbidden romance between grief-stricken Hamptons waitress Alison (Ruth Wilson) and bored novelist and father of four Noah (Dominic West), the series intends to go beyond their amour. "The affair just becomes a larger landscape in the second season," says the former In Treatment and House of Cards writer. "It goes beyond a literal affair into a different kind of world."

The couple's relationship is only further complicated by the murder of Alison's brother-in-law, Scotty (Colin Donnell), who was revealed in the season's penultimate episode to be the father of Noah's daughter's (Julia Goldani Telles) baby. Also disclosed in the finale was the prime suspect of the crime. When Noah is arrested by Detective Jeffries (Victor Williams) in the final scene, it opens up next season to a whole new set of possibilities.

Hot off three Golden Globe nominations — one for leading lady Wilson; her onscreen lover, West; and another for the series — the critically acclaimed drama is gaining recognition for its freshman run. "I was hoping that Ruth and/or Dominic would be nominated because they both did such good work," show creator Treem told The Hollywood Reporter, "but the triple threat was a total surprise."

Here, Treem breaks down the finale, responds to the biggest criticism she's gotten from fans and reveals whose perspectives we will see the story told from next season (hint: it won't be just Noah and Alison anymore.)

The big reveal in the last scene of the finale is that Noah and Alison are together, but we don't quite see how they get to that point. Will we see the narrative catch up to the present-day detective storyline this coming season?

Yes. The way I've always conceived of the show is what I think of as an epic story structure, where the action starts in the middle of the story and then goes back to the past and shows you how they got to that place before it continues through that middle section into the future. Next season the past will catch up to the present, and then we'll move through the present into the future.

What's the one question you keep getting from fans about the finale?

One question that I've gotten from people is "Why would Helen (Maura Tierney) take him back or even want to take him back?" People are irate about that. I want to say to them "Guys, they have four children, and they've been married for 25 years." Most people don't end their marriages if they can help it. Helen loves them, and she loves their life, and she wants to make it work. That's much more realistic to me than somebody just kicking their husband of 25 years out and saying, "I never want to see you again."

People react to characters differently than they react to human beings in their life sometimes. We want characters to do the things that we ourselves cannot do. I think that's why sometimes watching television is exciting because we invest in these characters, who are perhaps braver than we are or more wild that we are or more self-destructive than we are. But we've been trying to write a show where the characters behave in very, very human ways. That was definitely the philosophy behind the last scene with Helen. It felt very true to her character that she wanted above all else to preserve this marriage.

In future episodes, can we expect to see the story told from the perspectives of any of the other characters besides Noah and Alison?

Yes, we're definitely going to expand to more perspectives in the new season. We haven't exactly decided how many new perspectives we're going to have, but we'll definitely see Helen's and Cole's at least. Because if Noah and Alison are now together, they are not as mysterious and unknown to each other in that scenario — but the Noah-Helen relationship, for example, all of a sudden becomes more interesting because they're not together. They don't understand each other, and they don't experience each other as naturally. We're always trying to keep in mind in any given scenario which character will see it most differently because therein the conflict lies.

Between Alison and Noah, whose perspective do you find viewers identify with more?

Now the viewers hate both of them, which I find pretty funny. People are uniformly against Noah, and people still have some sympathy for Alison because of what she's going through — but still, they're not particularly pleased with her either. The longer the characters stay in the affair, the less sympathy people have for them. People really want marriages to work, which I think is great.

And what about you? Are you more comfortable writing for one or the other?

I've kind of internalized them both after a certain point and just felt that they were both sides of my own experience and the experiences that I've gleaned from talking to other people. I don't really have a preference for one character or another. I actually love both of them. The Alison character is, of course, easier for me to identify with because I'm female, but in terms of writing the Noah character — I have a lot of men in my life, and I have a lot of conversations and experiences that I'm eager to put onto the page. It's been nice for me to think about relationships from both genders because a lot of times when we are in relationships, our gender plays a big part in how we perceive what's happening. So being able to put myself into the head of a man has been very exciting and also very relieving to see it from the other side. When you get into the head of somebody else, you get to realize that everybody is real, and therefore actions and consequences are not as black and white as they seem. There aren't necessarily good guys and bad guys in the world, and I actually find that comforting.

How have you struck the balance with Noah and Alison to where viewers still retain some sympathy for them despite their immoral behavior?

We tried very hard to explain where they're coming from. What I didn't want to do is give people an easy answer for their actions, like that they were just in a bad marriage. We presented Noah as a character whose life seems perfect from the inside, and then when you get deeper inside it, you realize that he's incredibly dissatisfied — and part of that is because the people in his life don't necessarily take him seriously, or he doesn't have as much influence over his own life as he'd like, but also because he is dissatisfied. He hasn't become the man that he wanted to be. For Alison, she has lived through this intense tragedy [of losing her 4-year-old son] and that has a tremendous amount of bearing on the choices she's making right now. But I don't think that's all of it — she also has been very reactionary her whole life, trying not to lead her mother's life, and has been trying to please the people around her. Now she's realizing that that's perhaps not the road toward the person that she's wanted to be.

I'm trying to get people comfortable with the idea that sometimes making the right choices in life is not the way to feel self-actualized. I just wanted to make it pretty messy. We can go back through our lives and explain to other people why we did the things we did and try to stack the deck so that it seems like our choices were the right ones, but we all have hurt people unintentionally in order to save ourselves. I think if we were all to go back and examine the choices we made through the lens of somebody else's perspective, we would see ourselves as the villain, and that's hard. It's a very uncomfortable place to be, but it's really necessary to understand our place in the universe.

What do you hope viewers take away from the season on the topics of marriage and infidelity?

I want people to take away the idea that being a human is hard, that we really have very little business judging each other's lives. We are all trying to live as well as we can, but people hurt each other a lot. This is not a public service announcement of any kind, but I think that we could all perhaps benefit from a little less judgment in terms of how other people live because I don't think any of us are saints. We're all trying our best.

You've said before that you plan to take Noah and Alison's affair beyond its literal implications, so how will it manifest itself in season two?

You see at the end of season one that Noah and Alison are together in the future, turning that "affair" into something else. Season two is going to show how the past catches up to the present. It goes beyond a literal affair into a different kind of world. What I can say for sure is that characters like Helen and Cole don't go away when Noah and Alison start a life together. When people leave their spouses, their spouses don't disappear and their families don't disappear. We like to think of our romantic lives as very black and white. This is my chosen person. I am his wife and he is my husband, and that is the totality of my relationship. But it's not, and it's really not if you've already had a first marriage.

How much of the new season have you mapped out?

I wouldn't say we have a whole season locked up, but we have a bunch of different arcs already in mind. It's nice because we purposely kept this first season very intimate — and maybe even a little claustrophobic — because we thought that that sentiment reflected the experience of being in an affair, but now we feel like we can branch out and broaden the world of the show without diluting the intensity.

In that larger landscape, which character's story are you most eager to expand?

One of the things I'm really interested in as a writer is what happens to Helen after her marriage falls apart, because this is a woman who has defined herself for a long time by this marriage. She's been a good girl to a certain extent — she really has been everyone's favorite daughter, friend and wife. When a person like that loses the framework of their world, who is that character? I just feel personally that I've been through that experience, and this is the thing that I always wanted The Affair to address.

As people, we are all kind of infinite. We have the possibility to lead many, many different lives and behave in many, many different types of ways. But we make some choices that end up defining us, and then we act in a way that reinforces that character that we've created. At a certain point, usually through crisis, that character is revealed to us as something that has been constructed to a certain expect. Then all of the sudden, we are limitless. I'm just really excited to see who Helen becomes. From both her and Cole, we're going to see some really radical departures from the characters we thought we knew.

full article at link.

E!Online | The Affair Boss Explains Stunning Finale and What's Ahead in Season 2 (More Narratives!)

Quote:
The Affair Boss Explains Stunning Finale and What's Ahead in Season 2 (More Narratives!)

"Do you believe me?"

Gah. We think that's the best way we can sum up our immediate reaction after watching The Affair's season finale. (Warning, spoilers ahead!) We didn't get to see how Scotty's (Colin Donnell) murder went down, but an arrest was made: in the final scene, set in the present-day, Noah (Dominic West) and Alison (Ruth Wilson) are in their NYC apartment (yes, they're together!), getting ready for a night in after putting their (?) daughter to bed, when Detective Jeffries comes in and arrests Noah. "I'll get you out of this," Alison promises. "Do you believe me?"

This. Freakin'. Show. But worry not, as a definitive answer to who murdered Scotty and how it went down is coming...eventually. Also on the way? Point-of-views other than Noah and Alison's. (Can we get an amen?!)

Here, creator Sarah Treem answers (as best she can) burning finale questions and previews what's ahead for season two:

Will we see Cole and Helen's point-of-views in season two? Get excited because, as of right now, that's the plan. "I hope we'll be seeing Helen and Cole's [narratives]," Treem says. "It's all still very much theoretical, but that's the idea in my head at this point."

Aside from varying narratives, will the objective truth ever be seen? Treem reveals that she has a plan to reveal the objective truth behind one of The Affair's biggest mysteries.

"In my mind, in terms of what the truth of the crime itself is at the end, I think we need to and we are going to see that and understand what happened there objectively," she says. "In instances like that, where there is crime or something, where it's not basically the emotional interaction between two people…that to me is the one moment where I actually want to know the truth. That's the moment I'm pretty sure we will see objectively, but I think the way that we get there is going to be a bit of a puzzle, so when the audience arrives at it, they will discover it for themselves."

SHOWTIME
So when will season two pick up? "Season two in the past will pick up very quickly after season one ends," Treem reveals. "We have more to go in terms of the story before the past catches up to the present."

Will Noah be put on trial for Scotty's murder? Viewers will soon learn that Detective Jeffries (who was revealed to be gay in a phone call at the end of the episode, proving even he was lying to both Noah and Alison, and us, all-season long).

"If you think about the evidence the detective is arresting Noah on, he doesn't actually have that much to go on. So he needs more. It's circumstantial, what he's arresting Noah on right now. It's not conclusive. We're going to watch that detective do more work to figure out what actually happened."

Mark Schafer/SHOWTIME
Why did the writers decide to have Helen reconcile with Noah? We were a little sad to see Helen, whom we adore despite how some fans feel, say she didn't want to divorce Noah after their four-month separation. Why oh why, we asked?! Well, it's complicated, just like it is in rea-life, Treem reasons.

"She has four kids with him, they've lived their whole lives together…I think people are not as quick as we'd like to think they are to break up their marriages over an affair. I think that when you find yourself in that position, there's a lot of, ‘OK, does this really have to be the end?' And I think she does miss him and she does love him, and for me, that's what's going to be really interesting about Helen's arc in the second season, is that this man has really betrayed her and yet she still loves him. What do you do with that?"

Was that always going to be the finale's ending, even if the show wasn't renewed? When we spoke with castmember Colin Donnell before a second season was ordered, he hinted that we would be satisfied by the finale. However, after watching it, we would've been frustrated if it acted as the series finale. There were too many questions, too many dangling threads.

"There was a point in the middle of the season where everyone's like, ‘I don't want this show to have a second season,'" Treem says. "I thought was odd actually because I always conceived of it as at least a three season show, so I was like, ‘We're not even close to done yet with this story.' But it surprised me that people could not conceive of how this could possibly keep going. To me, that sort of tells you more about what the expectation of an affair is in people's mind because everybody thought they kind of knew how it would resolve itself."

Last edited by CityGal; 12-22-2014 at 10:13 PM
Old 12-27-2014, 02:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylarc (View Post)
I like the show but the more i see from Noah the more i dislike him and the more i find him unattractive. Also i can´t see any chemistry between those 2. Idk, is he supposed to be likeable? Coz i have no empathy for that guy at all. I have to even look away when there is a sexscene now because its just so ... yuck.

Oh and another thing. Does anyone hate the theme song as much as i do? Its one of the worst and annoying intro songs i have ever heard and i have to ff because its that bad that i can´t even listen to it. I am not kidding.
There's a bunch of us that feel the same way about Noah over in The Affair Thread on the Joshua Jackson Board, but then we could be bias. The funny thing is, Sarah Treem doesn't quite get why we all feel this way. She has said as much in some of her Tweets.

I did like that little "shout out to the fans" in episode 10 where Whitney asks Alison what she saw in her dad "he's so old and your husband is so hot". That's pretty much what the masses have been saying since the details of the show were first being discussed.

icon credit: crash landing
Old 12-28-2014, 03:21 PM
Absolute Fan

Hey!!

I'm new to The Affair! Didn't know what to expect coming into the show, was confused in the beginning about the different perspectives and which one was real b/c in my mind it gave a totally different outcome and my opinion altered.
Towards the end I just started to dislike Noah/Alison completely… I find what they're doing so selfish and uncaring. The fact that they kind of got a happy together life with a new child really upsets me (i do wonder if the child is Noah's though)… Where's the karma for hurting so many people? where are the consequences? And Noah being taken away at the end aren't the consequences he should be facing, esp bc he will get off i'm sure of it…
Cole, poor, sweet, broken Cole… This guy didn't deserve any of it… Alison just seemed so cold towards him in the end. They both lost a child but i guess their biggest problem is they both blame each other for it… Cole thinks Alison should have gone to hospital and Alison thinks Cole should have payed better attention in the first place.
At this point I just want some clarity.. I get the writers want to show how people view situations differently but as a viewer I need more clarity than that… I am however looking forward to Cole/Helen POV.. Hopefully it will shed more light but I have a feeling it will confuse things more… Can I also say that Scotty is just so nice to look at, its a shame he died but thankful we get to see him on screen still…

Anyway, i rambled … a little

R.I.P Nelsan Ellis.. "Being different gives the world color"
Old 12-29-2014, 01:56 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leelala (View Post)
Towards the end I just started to dislike Noah/Alison completely… I find what they're doing so selfish and uncaring. The fact that they kind of got a happy together life with a new child really upsets me
Yeah i have to agree. And that they are together and having a child end of the episode did really annoy me a lot. For me its not the cheating because you can´t help who you fall in love with but the way those characters behave makes them really unlikeable. At least i can understand Allison a little bit because losing a child is the worst and many couples break up after something like that. But Cole was always so nice and caring for his wife and you can see that he loves and adores her. So why she would fall for someone like Noah of all people is beyond me.

He is at least to me not attractive at all, he looks wasted almost like an alcoholic. And he comes across just like having a midlife crisis and feeling sorry for himself all the time. I just don´t get why they chose this actor to play THAT role. I am sure he is good in other roles just not in that one. He is just so meaningless.

And i don´t like where this show is going. According to the writers there is nothing meaningful behind all the different views of those 2, just that everyone sees things differently. So why all the interrogation scenes if its just a boring drama about 2 unlikeable people cheating on there spouses? Who wants to see that?
Closed Thread   Post New Thread