Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2009, 01:28 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Hope the DVD comes out soon, since wasn't able to see it in theatres.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:45 PM
Part-Time Fan

I watched the movie first and was very suprised how close it was to the graphic novel when I actually read it. I liked the other media that they included between the chapters. My favorite character is Rorscach.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:12 PM

Glad you liked the film. How was the book? I put it on hold at my library, so get to finally read it soon.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:55 PM
New Fan

i don't like this movie.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:30 AM

OK. I haven't seen it yet. I did finish reading the Graphic Novel though & it was excellent. What didn't you enjoy about the film?
Old 10-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Part-Time Fan

Most comic fans loathed the movie because they felt it didn't stay true to comic and strayed too far from same. Apparently they were too drunk or stoned or whatever to notice the huge title card that said BASED ON that flashed on the screen. They also loathed that the ending was changed.

But then, it could NEVER live up to the hype. At the end it was a typical Hollywood adaptation of a comic book, albeit one that was pretty damn faithful to the original material as far as design goes. One problem was that the dialogue for the movie, sucks, even though much of it was lifted directly from the comic, which says a lot about how horrible a writer of dialogue Alan Moore is.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:28 PM

Have you read any other books by Alan Moore besides ''Watchmen''?
Old 10-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by canflam (View Post)
Have you read any other books by Alan Moore besides ''Watchmen''?

Oh my, yes.

I've read all of his Swamp Thing stories, all of his miscellaneous stories for DC Comics, V For Vendetta, Tom Strong and Top 10 from America's Best Comics, his entire run on Supreme, Miracleman Olympus collection, From Hell and I think that's it.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:57 PM

How were those books? I read V For Vendetta & enjoyed it.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:17 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by canflam (View Post)
How were those books? I read V For Vendetta & enjoyed it.
Ooh, good one.

Moore's run on Swamp Thing is what got his name noticed in the United States. He takes a quasi-horror tone for the most part, but in my mind a number of the stories haven't aged very well.

His Superman stories are considered among the BESTEST EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!! by the fanboys (groan), but they are quite good, as are his Tales of the Green Lantern Corps stories. He did a couple of issues of Vigilante and those stories are pretty 'Meh' same goes for his Green Arrow stories.

Tom Strong was ok, I got the issues just because it was a new Alan Moore written comic, but it didn't really do that much for me.

Top 10 I liked a lot, it's about a police station with superheros for cops in a town populated entirely by beings with various superpowers. Moore has said he had the show Hill Street Blues in mind when he was creating Top 10.

From Hell is Moore's take on the Jack The Ripper story. The artwork can and has put some people off, as the entire thing is black and white. There is also a bit bit of historical stuff one should know about, but Moore does a very good job of getting that across. I enjoyed it and go back to it occasionally.

Miracleman has been compared to Watchmen in that they both are about the consequences of having beings with superpowers in the real world, but Miracleman ups the ante by having villains with superpowers and the barftastic horrors that result. Problem with Miracleman is:
1)The comics are all out of print
2) There is an ongoing legal battle as to who controls the rights so unless you want to go the illegal download site, prepare to pay upwards of $100 for one of the collected editions.

Supreme was pretty much Moore doing a pastiche of Superman and alos the the whole idea of 'rebooting' that happens over and over in comics. It's a bit too on the nose at times, but a decent read.

Forgot to mention The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen , which is Moore's take on 'superheros' in the 19th and early 20th century using both historical and fictional characters form that time. Decent reads, but not something I go back to.

Any other questions?
Old 10-15-2011, 11:01 AM

Did you enjoy the movies based on those books?
Old 10-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Part-Time Fan

I haven't seen LOEG (League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) and don't have plans to.

From Hell was decent, although being a fan of Heather Graham and no so much a fan of Johhny Depp I'm a little biased. The movie strays kind of far from the comic, but it has to in order to work as a movie. Worth seeing if it doesn't cost much.

There was an animated adaptation of Moore's Superman story, 'For The Man Who Has Everything', a few years ago. A good adaptation, with the knowledge that some of the rougher stuff has been excised for younger viewers, worth checking out, but I;m not sure if it's on dvd.

Watchmen...well it was savaged by the fanboy spazzes to the point where there were *******s dressed up as the characters, Rorschach, Nite-Owl etc protesting outside theaters and there was one douchebag who brought a copy of the graphic novel into the theater with him and he kept bleating and shrieking, "NO!!!!!! THAT ISN'T RIGHT!!!!!!!!!! THAT ISN'T IN THE COMIC BOOK!!!!!!!!!" After telling him to shut the **** up 4 times, I finally poured my drink over him and then went to the management, which refused to throw his as out but did give me $100 in passes, which kind of made up for it.

But as for the movie itself, look any reasonably sane person understands that when books are adopted for movies, stuff gets changed/cut, and they accept it. It just has to happen or the movies would be puketastic. Yes, there are some adaptations which are adopted in name only, but it's not the end of the godamned world. It's a MOVIE. *Ahem* Sorry about that. It's a pretty good adaptation ,and visually they got it right, as the movie and comics world are well meshed. The dialogue is pretty bad which is interesting seeing as it's lifted pretty much verbatim from the comic and the comic book dialogue is what the fanboys are always spazzing out about. I just got the super deluxe dvd version and enjoy it, and it's worth a rental.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:22 PM

What are the extras in the super deluxe DVD?
Old 02-25-2015, 06:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I really love this movie

Old 02-26-2015, 12:30 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Me too. Who are your favorite characters?
Closed Thread   Post New Thread