Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2003, 08:06 PM
Total Fan

I believe Ruse was doing substantially better than Sojourn, up until the point Mark Waid got ousted. [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2003, 12:06 PM
Extreme Fan

LOL great Route cover! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

jjt
Are you all caught up on the issues? It seems like they've turned it up a notch or two on the horror scale. Starting with #15 which I thought was really sadistic and wicked. It's great! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

#18 looks like it'll be really good too. Deep Sea Dying. Wonder if it's a pirate story.
Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 03:33 PM
jjt
Master Fan

I'm an issue or two back .. noticed I was skimming .. so decided to wait a while pile up a few then get back into reading them.
jjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 09:19 AM
Total Fan

Has anyone seen a new CrossGen trade since...June? It's been ages since I ran into one. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

I want Ruse volume 3/Sojourn volume 4, and all is good.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:26 AM
Extreme Fan

I'm waiting for Ruse 3 as well [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

In other news,

There is a free preview of KKBB. Looks actually much better than I envisioned it.

And Dixon and McNiven are doing an Archard's Agents focusing on Theophilus Dare.
LolaRuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 05:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I've never read any, but I do plan to pick up a *Ruse* TPB sometime.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:15 AM
Extreme Fan

The art is simply marevelous I tell ya. I ordered both of them off Amazon btw, without a problem.

Oh and the first Ruse TPB has a guest artist (who is kinda awful) in the last story. Don't let that scare you off.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:33 PM
Total Fan

CrossGen's trades schedule has totally vanished; Ruse volume 3 was supposed to be out back in July. Not looking good for the company, if they're willing to totally abandon support for new material in the bookstore market... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2004, 10:32 AM
Total Fan

CrossGen trades are back!
Old 03-06-2004, 07:52 AM
Total Fan

Read Sojourn: The Thief's Tale last week, the weakest of the 4 volumes to date but a refreshing return for Arwyn and Gareth. Cassidy's a fun character. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

It's been confirmed, Ruse #26 will be the last issue. Not happy about this; the series being ended prematurely because of The War and its earlier ties to Mark Waid is foolish. [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2004, 08:48 AM
jjt
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Headhunter:
<STRONG>Read Sojourn: The Thief's Tale last week, the weakest of the 4 volumes to date but a refreshing return for Arwyn and Gareth.</STRONG>

I may have to pick up som Sojourn trades. Read the first few issues [1-4 I think] a while back. But keep seeing the main character in the comic new papers and she's sassy. lol .. so yeah might pick it back up.
jjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 08:53 AM
Extreme Fan

Actually there is an additional Archard's Agents coming out, centering around Theophilus Dare and a lost underware city. I think it's supposed to come out on the 10th. So technically that will be the last one from the Ruse universe.

Also, CG is announcing a new book Raven House, it's written by Chuck Dixon (me: Nooooooo) and drawn by Leonardo Manco of 'Apache Skies' fame (me: Wohoooo, love his art). It's supposed to be a traditional gothic horror/haunted house story about a young woman who moved into a castle to tutor a young boy and has to figure out the seeeecrrret of the house and creepy surrounging village.

I'm rather torn about this, since I so don't care for Dixon's writing style (especially pacing and characterisation), but I'm rather intrigued by the set up and love the artist.

I also bought the first Abadazad, and while it's a nice book, I really don't get the frenetic praise it has been getting from the other CG readers. It was ok, but really nothing special in my eyes. I'm pretty sure that I wont continue buying any more issues.

On the other hand, I looove the new Sojourn ice and snow arc.

Quote:
I may have to pick up som Sojourn trades. Read the first few issues [1-4 I think] a while back. But keep seeing the main character in the comic new papers and she's sassy. lol .. so yeah might pick it back up.
While I wouldn't really consider Sojourn the prime example of larger than life awesome writing, I always thought that the first few issues (Arwyn and Gareth escaping from Mordath's prison and meeting Neven) were the weakest/most boring ones. I like to think that it gets better. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

BTW, Negation War is coming out soon as well, and while I don't expect to buy it, the one thing that DOES intrigue me about it is that ALL sigil bearers will be involved. Not only the good ones like Sephie, Sam or Obo-San, but also the evil ones like Mordath and Sephie's uncle.

Since Sojourn is one of the few originally sigil titles that is supposed to continue, it's gonne be interesting how Mordath supposedly leaving for WAR will affect the book. I mean, could he even return without a sigil? Other than the fact that it is pretty much the base for his power, I was under the impression that it's the only thing that is keeping him alive, you know with him being dead 300 years and such...

Also Way Of the Rat is ending as well, here's the note from the official CG message boards:

Quote:
Hello, Way of the Rat Readers,

It unfortunately is my duty to share the news with you that, due to low sales, Way of the Rat will end with April's issue #24.

We made the decision only a few weeks ago -- after we solicited that issue -- and now that the May catalog is hitting, many of you may be wondering where Way of the Rat #25 is. So I figured that you deserved to hear the news first.

Fortunately, once our trade paperback program is humming again, that will allow us to complete four Way of the Rat collections (Vol. 1 = #1 - #6, Vol. 2 = #7 - #12, Vol. 3 = #13 - #18, Vol. 4 = 19 - 24) for those following Boon & Po Po through the graphic novels.

Chuck Dixon will, of course, write all the issues through to the series finale. Joining Chuck will be the talented Rod Whigham, who will jump onboard to pencil issues #22 - #24. I think you'll enjoy Rod's take on our crazy cast of characters.

While we always planned to provide an ending to all of our series, it would have been fun to follow Boon & Po Po through a few more outrageous adventures, but alas, it just wasn't possible.

I know this is sad news, and it's not fun to be the one that has to pass it on, but I thought the loyal Way of the Rat fans deserved to hear it first. You are amazingly supportive readers and all of us at CrossGen appreciate everything you've done for our kooky kung-fu book.

Look for Boon & Po Po to pop up in the Negation War
[ 03-07-2004: Message edited LolaRuns ]
Old 03-07-2004, 01:46 PM
Total Fan

jjt: You'd like Sojourn! It takes a really leisurely pace compared to most fantasy titles, but the artwork is gorgeous. Writing is ho-hum, but it gets you from point A to B.

Lola: Honestly, I didn't really like the first Archard's Agents. It wasn't bad, but everyone seemed so helpless. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Raven House seems alright; I'm fairly conflicted on Chuck Dixon. Sometimes his work is great (El Cazador, which I'm waiting to come out as a trade), some uneven (Birds Of Prey) and some awful (his early Batman). Really hard to gauge his work from book to book.

A lot of CrossGen titles promote the book everywhere out of devotion to the (now struggling) company; it's hard to get objective commentary.

Hmm, is The War still pencilled by George Perez? If not, hopefully top quality talent is brought onboard. They've already lost Butch Guice/Brandon Peterson amongst others once the company lost their salary system.

It seems likely that the big event will have huge consequences for the expiring titles, and leave the survivors in mostly the same shape afterwards.

Surprised about Way Of The Rat, especially considering how quickly its rights were secured for film development. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] Easy come, easy go?

Now that the trade system is clicking again, I'm itching to pick up El Cazador/Ruse when they finally get around to it. [img]smilies/drool.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2004, 02:43 PM
Extreme Fan

Actually there is news on the WOTR comic:

Quote:
Way of the Rat, believed to be the first CrossGen Entertainment property to break into film or television, is edging closer to becoming a feature film.

Veteran filmmaker Chuck Russell is writing and directing Way of the Rat for DreamWorks.

"I've read the third and final rewrite, and it's awesome," said Way of the Rat comics writer Chuck Dixon of Russell's script. "Jeff Johnson and I locked ourselves in an office -- that's the only way we could read it -- and read the whole thing.

"I'm really thrilled. Chuck Russell, he's as enthusiastic about the project as we are, and he's a money-making director -- which is something I like."

Dixon noted that Way of the Rat is progressing quickly. "But it still gets frustrating," he said. "It still have a mountain of Hollywood types to go through."

CrossGen's Bill Rosemann said he hears regularly from Michael Uslan, whose Branded Entertainment represents CrossGen in film and television deals.

"There are over a dozen things in the hopper, all in different stages of development," Rosemann said. "We're just waiting until things get all cemented, and all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed before we say too much.

"The good news is there definitely is demand for this stuff. There's meetings going on all the time."

Way of the Rat and Meridian, being written as a CGI film by Bob Gale, are both recently cancelled titles. Rosemann said none of CrossGen's titles has been forgotten.

"When the movie happens, that's when we'll bring the book back," he said.
I have a hard time believing that Ruse ended because of the War btw, since I doubt that Emma or Simon will be playing much of a role. BTW, if you are a Rusefan, I was posting on the official CG message board, like 3 months ago and I had Butch Guice email me (!). He even gave a lot of spoiler stuff on how Ruse was supposed to continue after 26. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] They had quite a lot planned out already before they were cancelled.

In that light, I'm with you, I can't wait for the trade program to be continued. I'm dying to finally get the trade that covers the Balleen storyline, since that was one of my favourites, but for some reason I'm lacking some issues from that period of time.

I think the first Archard's Agents is really quite pointless. I have really no idea who the main guy is supposed to be. The second one is a lot more fun because Pete the boxer is the main character. I wouldn't really consider is a replacement of Ruse, but a really fun addition. Pete's strategy of solving the case is a hoot [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] As for the new one, I might pick it up, but you might have noticed my low opinion on Dixon, so naturally I'm not extatic over him writing it. Add to it that Dare has always been my least favourite character, even egging out Ophelia....

Personally, I'm not even impressed with his work on Cazador either. I spent half of my reading time fantasising on how much more I would like this book if they would just let Lady Sin and that teenage cabin boy walk the plank and continue the book without her. :p I do admit to that it is slowly getting better over time (writingwise) and the art is just gorgeous of course.

But, I must admit that Dixon's slow pace and 2 dimensional characters might be perfect for a gothic horror house story. ;D

As for Abadazad, I don't know, the thing is, lots of people who have claimed to hate the company now, now go around telling how much they love this one. I think this one is drawing a lot of the people who were drawn to the initial Crossgen that promised more children friendly comics. As I said, I don't see what the big fuss is about, as it seems to be mainly an introduction so far. I must note though, that for a CG (lets face it, writing isn't always their strongest point) the characterisation if above average. Of course, it's just the usual fare compared to comics overall [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

BTW, here is another useful info for CGfans.

Quote:
Time for another "Last Issue" update from CrossGen Central. Months ago, we planned on ending Scion with issue #44...however, due to falling sales, issue #43 (now penciled by Fabrizio Fiorentino, not Sergio Cariello) is now the series' final issue.

But we've hopefully learned something from the ending of SIGIL. Instead of ending on an issue that doesn't really work as a series finale, we skipped the story that would have been in issue #43 (Ethan acquiring weapons from the secret stockpile in the abandoned castle) and made the contents of issue #44 (Ethan's final battle with the Tigris forces) the contents of issue #43. In other words, we skipped part of the prelude and jumped right to the main event.

So, while we are publishing one less chapter in the SCION saga, we are delivering what we feel is a more satisfying series finale. Ethan and his royal family -- not to mention the Raven dynasty -- have some revenge coming their way...and this is the issue that sees them pulling out all the stops to battle the metal monsters that invaded their kingdoms! And wait until you hear the bombshell that Ethan lays on Ashleigh!

And remember, while this is the final issue of SCION, it's not the end of Ethan. The young prince, strengthened by the test of the Tigris invasion, will battle on against Charon's forces in NEGATION WAR.

Again, I know the news that I pass on isn't always all wine & roses, but I figured you'd appreciate hearing it first...and straight from the source. You supported Ethan all along, so you deserve to hear it first.

All of you SCION readers have been supremely supportive throughout the entire run, and everyone who ever created an issue appreciate all you've done for Ethan and company.
BTW, I hope you were all aware that they are going to do a Sojourn/Lady Death crossover where Hope and Arwyn team up (or fight each other, who knows ;D)
Old 03-07-2004, 05:09 PM
Total Fan

Bring the book back? Why not just leave it alone in the first place, or let it pass? This will turn up badly, like the MAX Blade title which arrived during Blade II (a terrible comic).

Do you mean that it makes no sense for Ruse to end because of the war, or that CrossGen ended it for other reasons? I should clarify; by ending it during the war, I meant that CG was using it as a convenient reason to cover for internal strife.

If the latter (other reasons), I can't think of anything; there was a ton of creative ground, it was one of the better selling titles, and quite popular.

Speakin of Guice, it really bothered me that Waid left because the artist/colourist etc all wanted to guide the storyline in a different direction. Waid is the writer; while he can have input on the art etc, he ultimately does not control it. It should be the same in reverse; he was unfairly driven out.

It's been a very, very long time since Ruse put out a trade. [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img] Seems like the delay has crippled sales; a lot of the articles I've read including what you posted here suggests that SG terminated a lot of titles due to low sales. When I picked up Sojourn: The Thief's Tale, there was only 1 copy and it was buried in a stack of other material; I had to specifically ask for it. On the week it came out, at a store that carries a ton of material from CrossGen, TokyoPop, etc...

Hmm, I was wrong; the first Archard's Agents I read must have been the 2nd, since it starred Pete. He's a funny character for a bit, but holding down an entire issue got on my nerves. [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

Don't know about El Cazador to recognize any of those names; only read the first issue at the store before filing it away for trade pickup. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] The art is pretty sweet, though; it was a big motivation for catching Master and Commander shortly after.

Gonna check out Abadazad and other titles at Comics On The Web!

CrossGen is ending titles all rather abruptly, with no sense of rhythm. Why not end all of them with a few more issues to close properly, also enabling nice encapsulation into trades? Ruse at #46, Scion at #43; these will make for oddly shaped trades with inconsistent pricing.

Knew about Sojourn/Lady Death; picking it up? I'm afraid it'll be a skin book, where:
  • Dastardly magic opens a barrier connecting both worlds
  • Greater evil threatens both worlds, and each heroine independently work towards the same culprit
  • They meet!
  • They think each other is the threat, and fight!
  • They realize they're on the same team, and make nice
  • They gain respect for each other, and journey towards the conclusion
  • The heroines take out the enemy, and admire each other for their differences that make them strong
  • Each returns home, with no lasting effects on their individual titles

Sound about right? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]