Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2003, 05:49 AM
Extreme Fan

Sojourn, Ruse, Route 666, WOTR - Crossgen Comics

I thought we would have a better chance to get a discussion going if we combine several comics.

So, does anybody read Crossgen comics? Which one is your favourite?

So far I'm only trying to follow Soujourn and Ruse (so far I'm mainly trying to catch up). But I've heard good things about their Route 666 and I read the Free Comic Book Issue of Way Of The Rat and was rather impressed (but rather reluctant to get into it, the story looks a bit confusing).

I've been looking for a good sci-fi comic series for ages now, but I'm feeling rather helpless at all these The First, The Path, Brath, Negation, Scion, Solus and whatever they are. Any hints on what any of these are about?

Right now my favourite is Ruse. It's a Sherlock Holmes style detective comic with a touch of fantasy. It made me realise again that one reason I love comics so much is that they brought back cool UST relationships (after I thought that Mulder and Scully had ruined them for me for good). I just love Simon and Emma's interaction [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] They are both independent and very interesting characters. I'm also enjoying the 1980s type of setting.

I feel the stories could have been a tad bit better, but I'm slowly growing into it. The lovable characters are certainly helping it. Just like Soujourn it ultimatively a fun and fluffy comic.

So far I generally got the impression that Crossgen comics aren't as focused on being edgey or meaningfull

Official Crossgen Webpage http://www.crossgen.com

Crossgen Message Board (official one) http://www.cgforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

Who is Who of the Crossgen Universe http://www.coreyblake.com/cgww/

Meridian Fanpage http://www.daughterofmeridian.com/

Ruse Fanpage http://www.geocities.com/ruse2726/index.html
LolaRuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 03:33 PM
jjt
Master Fan

Only title I read regular like from crossgen is Route 666. I've read the first few issues of each though.
jjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 03:24 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I've read the first few issues of each though.
Even the sci-fi ones? You are good.

I've read only the first Route 666. It seemed a bit girly to me, if I dare say so. If it was aimed at a much younger audience. But I plan on reading a few more issues as soon as I've finished catching up with Ruse and Sojourn.

I must say, I do like that CG seems to be rather low on violence. And it seems that they have female heros for quite a lot of their most prestigeous serials (Meridia, Sojourn, Route 666).

Question though, I heard that CG is selling so called 'Traveller' trades. 10 issues in smaller format at only $5. Sounds like quite a catch [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Anybody had any experiences with that?
Old 07-15-2003, 05:18 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by LolaRuns:
<STRONG>Question though, I heard that CG is selling so called 'Traveller' trades. 10 issues in smaller format at only $5. Sounds like quite a catch [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Anybody had any experiences with that?</STRONG>
They sell them at $9.95.
The only ones that have come out in that size so far are first volumens of Ruse, Meridian, Sojourn, Way of the Rat, and I think Mystic. Reducing the size hasn't taken away from the quality of the book. Artwork still looks very nice. Really good deal for the price.

I read Sojourn in trade format. And also decided to switch to trades for Ruse... and I'll definitely be picking up the Traveler editions from now on.
Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 05:58 AM
Part-Time Fan

I started reading Solus and I branched out from there. I read anything that takes place in the Crossgen Universe. There are a few I have not started yet because I am still terying to get all the back issues.
So far my favorites are Sojourn and Crux. Sojourn just keeps gettig bettter and better. I really like Kreeg, he is such a cute dog.
Old 07-17-2003, 03:54 AM
Extreme Fan

Strange, didn't Ruse have a transition in the writing as well, roughly in the middle of it. How come? Is that normal? Does CG do that a lot?

Oh back on the Travellers, I bought my first one, so I can correct all the info. They are smaller than the regular issues, they cost $10 and collect 7 issues. The trades cost $15 on collect only 5 issues as far as I can tell.

Question, how big, how new and how successfull is CG as a publisher anyway? I noticed they have quite a lineup.

Can you tell me what Crux is about? Is it the one with the survivors of Atlantis or something? Because that one was recommended (in the back of the other books) as the one to read if you like futuristic sci-fi. So I kinda flipped through it and put it away again because it looked like just more myths and magic.

I'm not a big fan of magic so I kinda prefer the books were magic is not the common occurence like Ruse or Route or at least the main character is non-magical, like Sojourn. Even Meridian is fine because even if the world is quite fantasy like only a couple of characters seem to have abbilities and the general schmuck (and therefore the gros of the side characters) doesn't.

[ 07-17-2003: Message edited LolaRuns ]
Old 07-17-2003, 09:22 PM
Part-Time Fan

Crux is the one with the survivors of Atlantis. It has Danik in it and I belive he also has ties to Solus.
As for Sojourn, I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I'm pretty sure I will still love it and even if I don't I plan to keep reading it.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:04 PM
Extreme Fan

Hmmm, I keep hearing Danik's name in many different discussions. Can somebody explain to me what exactly his unique importance is and what books I would have to read to find out more about him.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:52 PM
Dedicated Fan

The only one I read religiously is Sojourn, but I've dabbled in Ruse and Route 666. Might check out the Forge or one of the collection books, but just haven't had the time or money to be the rabid comic book fan I usually am.

I've heard that all the CrossGen comics are connected somehow, not only in the fact that they use the sigil but something bigger. I wonder what exactly it is and when more will be revealed. I know that Sojourn has always been planned to end eventually once all the shards of the arrow are collected and Mordoth will die, but does anyone know if the other books are planned to be indefinitely ongoing or will have similar ending?
emophrase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 05:17 PM
Part-Time Fan

I have no idea if they will all end or not. I really hope not because I enjoy them. They are all connected though. Two people from The First crossed over to Crux at one point and Ayden was in The First. Someone told me the one that will blow everything wide open is Solus. Danik is in that to or they mention him.
Old 10-05-2003, 02:05 AM
Extreme Fan

My interest in Crossgen titles has waned significantly. I still read and enjoy Route 666... but I'm giving up on Ruse and Sojourn which I read in trade format.

Ruse is a solid read, but I haven't felt strongly about it since Mark Waid left.

Sojourn also used to be one of my favorites, but I was mainly in it for Greg Land's gorgeous artwork. And I just recently heard that he is leaving the book.

I've always liked the quality of Crossgen's comics, so I hope there will be some new titles in the near future for me to check out.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:59 AM
Total Fan

CrossGen has been ruthlessly, yet necessarily gutted due to lack of financing and (imo) some horrible business moves.

The 3rd Ruse trade was supposed to be out months ago, yet nothing.

I will still buy Ruse/Sojourn trades, but won't buy tons of CG "just because".

BTW, it was Jackson "Butch" Guice (Ruse artist, CG art director) who left and not Greg Land, so far. That said, a lot of others have quit too (Jim Cheung, etc)...
Old 10-05-2003, 11:22 AM
Extreme Fan

I knew about Guice. Such a shame. The guys at my shop were the ones talking about Land leaving. I wonder if they were confusing him with Guice.
Old 10-05-2003, 05:41 PM
Total Fan

Hope both Guice/Land at least stay on the art for their respective titles as freelancers!
Old 10-09-2003, 12:43 AM
Total Fan

I think the colourist took off, but Richards should only be a temp...I hope.

Haven't heard any news about Greg Land leaving permanently, would be really disappointed to hear it.