Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2003, 02:33 PM
Extreme Fan

Manga Love

Let's talk Manga!

The word "manga" is Japanese for "comics"... so for most people, it means Japanese comics... but I've been noticing that the term is used more broadly these days.
For those new to manga, I found this site on the net which I think is very informative.. especially this essay.. What are manga and anime?.

The majority of manga that I read is published by Tokyopop.
You can check out their selection HERE... lots of good stuff.

My current favorite is Kare Kano:

Quote:
Yukino Miyazawa is the perfect model student. Pretty, kind, good at sports, always at the top of her class. But she's not all she seems. It's all an act of deception; she is really the self-confessed 'queen of vanity,' and her only goal in life is winning the praise and admiration of everyone around her.
When she enters high school, she finally meets her match: Soichiro Arima, a handsome, athletic, popular, and very intelligent young boy. Ever since he stole the top seat in the class from her, Yukino has hated him, and has been plotting on how to take back her former place as the object of all other students' admiration.
What she wasn't expecting, however, was that Soichiro, the very boy she hated, would confess his love for her. Or that he would find out about her deception - and use it to blackmail her!
Together, they discover that they have more in common than they knew, and they promise each other that they'll stop pretending to be perfect, and just be their true selves.

I really love this book. It's hilarious, romantic, and full of teen angst. Volumes 1-3 are available now. Vol 4 comes out in July.

Anyone else reading some good manga?

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 06-26-2003: Message edited Life ]

[ 07-12-2003: Message edited Life ]
Old 06-25-2003, 03:22 PM
Master Fan

I love anime, but I've never been able to get into manga that much, I've tried a couple but haven't found a good one yet..
Old 06-25-2003, 04:54 PM
jjt
Master Fan

Joshua .. you so need to read Cowboy Bebop .. the three regular books are like 10 bucks a piece and over 150 pages each! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] You can't beat the price and the characters are great. And the stories have closure .. it's a great great title. imho

I'm with Life .. Tokyopop is awesome .. they do a great job of pricing things within reach. And get trades out quickly.
Old 06-25-2003, 05:16 PM
Master Fan

Is it like the Anime that comes on Adult Swim? I've watched the anime one or twice, and it's pretty good.. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2003, 12:08 AM
Extreme Fan

Yup, Cowboy Bebop is another one I read. I haven't picked up Shooting Stars yet. Any good?

Josh
I think you'll like Battle Royale.

Book intro from Tokyopop:

Quote:
In the future, random Jr. High School classes are chosen to compete in a game called Battle Royale. The rules: only one student can survive after 3 days on an island or else they all perish. Weapons are handed out and each student is sent out into the field alone and unprepared for the horror that awaits them. The classmates turn upon themselves in a battle for survival, treaties are made and broken, and former friends become foes as the relentless countdown continues. Amid the betrayals and rising body count, two classmates confess their love for each other and swear to survive this deadly game together.

Based on the live-action feature film that became a cause celebre and polarized much of Japan.
Vol One was released a couple of months ago. It's violent and carries a mature rating.
I really liked it and can't wait till vol two comes out in July.

[ 11-08-2003: Message edited Life ]
Old 06-26-2003, 12:40 AM
Master Fan

Life? I didn't know you knew me that well..lol how did you know that I would like something with romance in it? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I'm a sucker for some romance.. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

That sounds a little too much ray lotta movie for my liking..lol has anyone else saw that movie where he was on a prison island and had to escape?

all kidding aside, I don't really know what I'll do till I get a couple months under my belt on the online comics, tillcumendat I know how it works, How they do back issues, etc. so right now any reions will more than likely have to wait 2 months before I can even think about it..lol
Old 06-27-2003, 07:38 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Joshua:
[QB]lol how did you know that I would like something with romance in it? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Ohhh I dunnooo, let's see--cuz you're a big flirt? I see you trying to romance the ladies on the boards. [img]smilies/flowers.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I saw that Liotta movie lol... Battle Royale is more like Lord of the Flies meets Survivor. The novel/movie was very controversial in Japan... all the politicians tried to ban it because of the subject matter- teenagers killing eachother.

It's pretty disturbing... but I like to be disturbed. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] And, again, there's some romance in the storyline... I'm a sucker too. [img]smilies/blush.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2003, 12:13 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Life:
<STRONG>Ohhh I dunnooo, let's see--cuz you're a big flirt? I see you trying to romance the ladies on the boards. [img]smilies/flowers.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

It's pretty disturbing... but I like to be disturbed. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] And, again, there's some romance in the storyline... I'm a sucker too. [img]smilies/blush.gif[/img]</STRONG>
Well I like flirting and no one seems to mind.. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] plus I'm too shy to do it in real life and get tongue tied easely..lol

well I don't mind disturbing, I'm disturbed too.. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I just don't like torture and stuff like that..lol Romance is good..:-D
Old 07-01-2003, 09:39 PM
Extreme Fan

Here's another title I'd like to recommend, especially to horror fans:

UZUMAKI by Junji Ito Published by Viz

Quote:
JAPAN'S NEW HORROR
Kirie Goshima has lived all her life in the coastal town of Kur(zu-cho, a sleepy community where the citizens live quiet lives away from the bustling city. But soon, all that will change. When normal citizens become obsessed with the ever-reducing shape of the spiral, strange accidents begin to happen that have Kirie, and her sensitive boyfriend Shuichi puzzled and frightened. Now, with the spiral phenomenon spreading and the body count of townspeople rising, Kirie and Shuichi must fight its growing number of followers or die trying!

In This Volume:
It all started one overcast day in the town of Kur(zu-cho. When the father of Kirie's boyfriend, Shuichi Saito, became obsessed with spirals, Kirie thought it was just an eccentric curiosity. But weeks later, when Mr. Saito is found inside a circular tub twisted into an impossible spiral shape, both Kirie and Shuichi begin to realize the gravity of their situation. Soon, other towns people begin to join the list of strange, spiral-related incidents and the death toll is still rising. Will Kirie and Shuichi make it out of Kur(zu-cho alive, or will the spiral claim them too?
Cover Art

There are three volumes, about 200 pages each. They are THE creepiest books I've ever read. There are images/ideas in there that'll forever haunt me.

Someone has to go and get it because I'm curious if it'll bother you as much as it has me. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Here's a review by Warren Ellis @ artbomb:

Quote:
Tell me the last time any book disturbed you. When you give up, buy UZUMAKI.
[ 11-08-2003: Message edited Life ]
Old 07-02-2003, 02:49 PM
Master Fan

well I'm happy to say that no one around where I live has turned into a spiral..so I'm safe..heh hopefully.

I'm not a big fan of horror but I did look for Battle Royale when I looked yesterday. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2003, 11:12 PM
Extreme Fan

You don't like horror, you don't like violence and torture--what's wrong with you? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Ok, you need to go back up to my first post and check out Kare Kano... TONS of romance for you. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Or no, check out Cowboy Bebop like jjt said... that's got a little of everything. Good stuff. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2003, 12:26 PM
Master Fan

well, I'm just a simple county boy.. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2003, 07:03 PM
Extreme Fan

Does anyone else read Kodocha or Marmalade Boy? I am in love with Kodocha these days. It gets really good and addictive.

Hana Yori Dango will be out soon. Been waiting forever for that one.
Old 07-05-2003, 03:27 AM
Total Fan

The Spiral (Uzemaki) movie was pretty good, but I haven't seen the anime. I dont' think they are related.

Another one you should check out is Lone Wolf and Cub. I saw the whole series a few years back and loved it! The series was filmed around the 70s. It kicks ass!
Old 07-05-2003, 03:11 PM
Extreme Fan

free
I've read Marmalade Boy vol 1 & 2. I enjoyed it, but it's taken a backseat to Kare Kano which I like much more.

Some info for those interested:

From Tokyopop

Marmalade Boy

Quote:
Miki just wants to have a normal family. Unfortunately, she's stuck with parents who thought life would be better if they divorced, swapped partners with another family, then remarried and all moved in together! Now Miki has four crazy parents! At least she can escape from the madness at school ... or can she? Just when she thinks she's safe, Miki's new stepbrother, Yuu, transfers to her high school, and with his dashing good looks he quickly captures the hearts of all the girls. Plus, Miki's realizing she's sweet on him ... will the madness ever end?
Haven't checked out Kodocha yet.

msanthropickat
I have the Uzumaki DVD. I thought it was well done, but nowhere near as good or complete as the three-volume manga. It was mostly based on the first volume, so it didn't touch on why the horrific events were happening.

I haven't read any of the Lone Wolf books yet. I also have not seen the series... but I have a bootleg version of the movie... really bloody stuff.

box art

I heard that they're making an American version pretty soon.

[ 11-19-2003: Message edited Life ]
Closed Thread   Post New Thread