Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2003, 01:28 AM
Extreme Fan

Indie Comics

I thought we could use this thread to discuss indie comics. There are tons of them that don't gain much attention... which is a shame because it is some of the best writing and art being put out.

Use this place to spotlight these unknown or overlooked gems, and the creators and publishers that produce them.

Of course, we can also talk about the not-so-great titles too. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Below are links to some of the indie/small press publishers out there (some more well-known than others):

So let's get this thing going. News, reviews, and recommendations are wanted. If you've never read any indie, please check out the links above. I'm sure you'll find something that piques you're interest. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 03-25-2004: Message edited Life ]
Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 01:58 AM
Extreme Fan

I'll start... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

A Sort of Homecoming #1 (of 3)

Quote:
From the Eisner nominated creators of My Uncle Jeff, comes a new serialized graphic novel, A Sort of Homecoming. Owen has just received a phone call informing him of his best friend David's death. He begins his journey from his home in Boston to their old hometown in upstate New York. As he travels he drifts back and forth in his memory, chronicling their lifelong friendship together. This is a story about friendship and brotherhood, and a bond that even death cannot break.

Written by Damon Hurd
Drawn by Pedro Camello

24 pages, B&W, $3.50

Published by Alternative Comics

This is an incredibly touching piece of work. Heart-breaking and difficult to read at times. If you've ever lost someone close to you, you must read this. And if you've never lost anyone... well, you still need to read this, because this is how it feels. The writing is amazing, accompanied by great artwork... it fluidly moves the story along, conveying every emotion to the page.

One of the best issues I've ever read. Go get this book. Run.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:59 AM
Total Fan

Is A Sort Of Homecoming similar to Pedro And Me?

On the Oni tip, editor Jamie S. Rich is taking off next year to pursue his writing; news can be found here.

Oni has got to be one of the premiere indie publishers, if not one of the premiere in comics as a whole. Their roster of talent and titles is compact but quality, covering a diverse range of artistic and plot styles.

Lately, I've been gearing up for the Kissing Chaos: Nonstop Beauty trade, which came out a couple months ago. Anyone who hasn't checked out the first trade should get a kick out of that too.

Old 11-15-2003, 10:25 AM
Elite Fan

The only comics I've read recently from Avatar are the Robocop ones....Don't waste your money.

IDW always has a lot of good product coming out. Niles is one of the best horror type writers around, and I love Ashley Wood and Ben Templesmith's work. It's just offbeat enough for me.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:39 PM
Total Fan

Flipped through the first Robocop issue a few months back, was repulsed. The art desperately needs an overhaul; gritty does not have to equal terrible.

My only problem with IDW is the obscene pricing; indie or not, their prices are insane! 30 Days Of Night was worth splurging for, and I'll get the Dark Days trade, but their titles are too expensive to make a regular habit of.
Old 11-15-2003, 03:58 PM
Extreme Fan

HH--
I haven't read Pedro & Me. I've had it in my hands several times, but I always put it back on the shelf. I've heard it's really good... but the whole Real World connection puts me off.

I forgot about Nonstop Beauty. Never did pick it up... and haven't seen it stocked at my shop. I'll add it to my gigantic xmas wish list. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I like IDW too. And, yeah, they're expensive. I'm thinking of dropping the CSI titles from my pull-list. I'll wait and pick up the trades at a discount instead.

But Dark Days is awesome. I can't wait for a trade.

I'm excited about Sacred Hearts. Hope it comes out soon. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-15-2003: Message edited Life ]
Old 11-15-2003, 04:56 PM
Total Fan

Kissing Chaos: Nonstop Beauty wasn't at my store either, it'll be something I ask for.

IDW is the Wallet Killer! Even as a trade at 40% off, I have a hard time swallowing it. Hopefully, the next trade is more affordable, as my Canuck buck has rebounded strongly in the last half year.

That should go to all titles, from all companies; Devil's Due at least is pretty good about it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2003, 12:12 PM
Extreme Fan

I just read this... pretty good... this issue was really just set-up... but I liked it. Looks like it might be a fun little scifi/horror book. I'm in for #2.

The Drive-In #1

Quote:
When a group of friends decide to spend a day at the world's largest Drive-In theatre horror fest, they expected to see bloody murders, rampaging madmen, and mayhem -- but only on the screen. As a mysterous force traps all the patrons inside the Drive-In, the worst in humanity comes out.
View pages and other covers here: DriveIn @ Avatar
Old 11-16-2003, 02:19 PM
Total Fan

Except for Oni or really hyped releases, indie monthlies don't often work their way to my local store. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2003, 06:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by Headhunter:
<STRONG>Except for Oni or really hyped releases, indie monthlies don't often work their way to my local store. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]</STRONG>
I have the opposite problem. There are so many in my store, that I don't know where to start.

I read one called *Bipolar* that I really liked. I'll have to look up the people involved.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:03 PM
Total Fan

Big store? Mine isn't. Which is actually a good thing, but experimentation isn't high on the list (in terms of monthlies).
Old 11-16-2003, 11:40 PM
Extreme Fan

w78--
You might like Demo. It's a 12-issue series written by Brian Wood and drawn by Becky Cloonan. Each issue will be a self-contained, slice-of-life story about teenagers burdened with superpowers. Issue #1 came out two weeks ago.

It's B&W, 32 pg For Mature Readers. Published by AiT/PlanetLar.

I really liked it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Issue #1 synopsis:

Quote:
Meet Marie, a teenage girl with a violent strain of involuntary telekenesis. Kept under control and pliant by heavy mood stabilizers administered by her oppressive and unsympathetic mother, she escapes the suburbs with her boyfriend Mike for New York City and the freedom and happiness it offers her.

Also, here's where you can read about Middleton's Sky Between Branches. There's only been one issue out. Actually, it was a preview issue #0 - which is just eye candy. It's planned to be a five-issue series, but there's no word on when that'll start. It's been stuck in hiatus hell. They recently released a variant cover of #0. Anyway, here's the link... site navigation is horrible. You have to click on those blank boxes... er, you'll see.

Com.X - Sky

and a pretty wallpaper link - sky WP

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2003, 11:44 PM
Extreme Fan

HH--
If your shop can't order you those indies, you can usually buy them directly from the publishing site.

And there's always Ebay. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

btw, Oni's online shop is finally up and running. Geez, took them long enough. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2003, 08:22 AM
Total Fan

Life: I'm into Demo, read a preview awhile back. The magic word, though, is again "trade". [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Oni's shop went up a couple months ago, after the "three weeks" became "year and a half". You probably gave up like I did; I just accidentally clicked one time and saw it was up. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

jjt: My store doesn't order most indie monthlies, because they don't sell; even CrossGen has pretty low sales. I understand, it's a business; I can get any trade I want, which is fine. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2003, 05:13 PM
jjt
Master Fan

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0311/17/iam.htm

IDW UPGRADES I AM LEGEND

IDW Publishing announced on Monday that it is upgrading Richard Matheson's I Am Legend from trade paperback to hardcover book. The retail price remains at the originally solicited $35, with no increase in spite of the costlier binding.

Beau Smith, VP of sales and marketing, said, "As with all IDW Publishing products, we pride ourselves on giving the consumers more than they're expecting. We felt that this project needed to be upgraded to hardcover."

The story of the last man on an Earth overrun by the undead, I Am Legend has seen life as a novel and has been adapted for movies several times. Steve Niles adapted the novel for a four-volume graphic novel more than a decade ago, with art by Elman Brown. The original issues are collected here for the first time in one deluxe volume.

Richard Matheson's I Am Legend is a 248-page, black-and-white hardcover graphic novel, on sale in late November.
jjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread