Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2004, 11:33 AM
New Fan

Free Comic Book Day

I'm sure everybody knows, but -

- Free Comic Book Day is July 3rd this year. Yeah, that's right. The day when you wander into the comic book store and take something without paying for it. But this time the clerk just smiles and waves at you instead of squirting you with pepper spray and wrestling you to the floor. No that hasn't happened to me in a comic book store. Only the airport.
So don't forget to get something for nothing on July 3rd. Otherwise you'll have to wait an entire year and you'll be crying. Check out their site at www.freecomicbookday.com if you need more info.
J Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

I came across this today, I'll post an excerpt, the full article ishere
Quote:
The third annual Free Comic Book Day is a celebration of an American art form and the literacy that comics encourage. Super-heroes and cultural icons such as Spider-Man and Superman were born in comic books. Free Comic Book Day is a chance to experience the vibrancy and energy that can only come from the sequential art found in a comic book.

Today, comic books are driving Hollywood's blockbusters and its critically acclaimed independent movies alike. Comic books are translated into live-action and animated television series that entertain young and old alike. They've won the Pulitzer Prize and awards in both literary and genre fields. They've inspired Pulitzer Prize-winning authors and New York Times bestsellers. Teachers and librarians have embraced them; literacy organizations sing their praises for helping kids who are reluctant to read.

In short, every facet of contemporary society has been touched in some way by the power of the comic book
Old 03-03-2005, 07:20 AM
Elite Fan

This year Free Comic Book Day is May 7th. I've already ordered every free comic in Previews from my store.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the info. I missed it last year. I won't make the same mistake again.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:45 AM
Master Fan

It's annoying, the biggest chain of comic book shops here in the Philippines (the one I have most access to without having to commute too much) insists on selling their stock of free comic book day free comics. Ugh.

Other shops give them away if you purchase a comic (IIRC), but they sell theirs for, like, 50 pesos ($1, or less).
Old 03-11-2005, 06:47 AM
Elite Fan

Since I ordered mine online, I had to pay about 20 cents apiece for mine...but it was worth it to me to get all the different stuff there is.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm not sure how many free comics we get. I think the shops where I live limit it to 3 comics or something. I'll find out in the newsletters.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:51 AM
Elite Fan

That's exactly why I order mine. My comic store has a 2 comic limit, and they don't get the free stuff from the smaller companies.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

3 is better than nothing. That's at least $7-9.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:28 AM
Elite Fan

I ordered 16-20 of them. I'm not sure of an exact count though.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:03 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh wow, maybe I'll look into buying online too.