Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Elite Fan

Dabel Brothers Productions: Reviews

Good morning. I've been given the priveledge to review some of the new comic books coming out by Dabel Brothers Productions.

Currently, I'll be reviewing Magician: Apprentice, Marshal and Red Prophet.

You can find these works at the Dabel Brothers official site:

http://www.dabelbrothers.com/

Information on Red Prophet can be found here:
http://www.dabelbrothers.com/project...edprophet.html

Information on Magician Apprentice can be found here:
http://www.dabelbrothers.com/project.../magician.html

Information on Marshal can be found here:
http://www.dabelbrothers.com/project...l/marshal.html

They have several other adaptations coming out, and I encourage you to visit their site, it's got some great stuff on it.
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Cryostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Elite Fan

Here's my first review, it's of Magician Apprentice...enjoy, and let me know if you have any questions.

Magician Issue 1

Magician: Apprentice is a coming of age story of young boys living in a fantastic realm of swords and sorcery called Midkemia.
Brett Booth's art brings the world of Raymond Feist alive along with Michael Avon Oeming and Bryan J.L. Glass' adaptation of the novels. Myth, legend and characters are woven between art and script to create a wonderful experience.
The story starts slow and builds to the end, setting the threads up to be followed and woven together. Who are the mysterious Elvandar and what do they track? What does the future have in store for Pug and Tomas?
The next few issues should be a joy to read, as the wonderful world is setup for us, and we start to learn the motives of those involved in the coming trials. Be sure to pick it up for yourself, especially if like great tales.
In all, I'd rate this book at a 7 out of 10 (slow start), with the potential to be an 8 or 9 once the action picks up.
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:22 PM
Elite Fan

And last but not least, here's my first review of Marshal. Red Prophet 1 and 2 will be reviwed very soon. I just finished Red Prophet 1 and started on 2...been a very busy week.

Marshal Issue 1

So you like action. Score!

You like guys and girls as heroes. Score!

You like bad guys that are near amoral. Score!

Now what if it's the future, and the old west, sort of?

I love the feel of this book from the first few pages....not much of a backstory, just BAM right into the action. If you liked Joss Whedon's Serenity, this is a story for you. It's about writing wrongs the old fashioned way, with your own two hands.

Without spoiling too much for you, our hero has a vandetta, and people know it. There are no qualms about bringing the bad guys down using whatever means are possible.

Jump right in with both feet on this book, it'll get you hooked right away. I know I am.

Rating the book would put me at a solid 8, good graphics by Abdul Rashid and an action pack story by Andrew LoVuolo will keep me coming back for more.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:53 AM
Elite Fan

Red Prophet 1

I've finished Red Prophet 1, and it's a book of a different color. It's not your typical comic, exploding on the scene with some great showing of the main characters.
Written in the times of expansion in the United States (Think Forts and Frontiers) when Native American Nations were treated as little better than animals, this story deals in part with the relationship formed between Native Americans and the Frontier Folk.
The entire book is written like a story being told to you, and as such, is written with that person's particular dialect. For isntance, instead of Tennessee, you get Tenezzy. It's somewhat hard to pick up and get through at first, but once you get a grasp on how things are said, its not much of a problem to get through.
Originally written by Orson Scott Card, Roland Bernard Brown has done a good job of adapting it to a comic book along with Renato Arlem's pencils and David Curiel's inks.
I'm eagerly awaiting the next few issues, knowing that this is an alternative history, I'd like to see some of the changes that have been made from actual history, knowing how Folk Magic can tend to shape things when needed. But there's something to be said for a slow build, an anticipation that makes these moments all the sweeter.
If you're interested in period comics, this is a good one for you, or if you're interested in "What If..." type comics, this is also a good pick up and read for you, and I'd advise you to run and pick it up. Issue 2 is already out, and I can't wait to read it. I'm giving issue 1 a 7 out of 10, it's an above average book to pick up, but I've not gotten that "Wow!" factor (to borrow from Simon Cowell) from it just yet.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks so much for the reviews. The books sound really fascinating. I'll probably try Magician Apprentice and Red Prophet.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Elite Fan

They're very good reading. Wyrms is coming out this month too, which looks to be another great book as well.

I can't tell you how many great stories Dabel Brothers has gotten a hold of...
Old 05-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Elite Fan

Red Prophet Issue 2

Finally, some depth, more than just setting the stage...intrigue and caring for the characters. And, one more step closer to meeting young Alvin Maker.
This issue really drew me in, wanting to learn more and more about the the one-eyed shawnee. His special powers make him a tortured soul, one that you can identify with...a man that's lost himself, and looks to fix what another man broke.
The art continues to be strong, and while the it takes a few pages to adjust to the period writing, it really helps to draw you into the character. I cannot wait until the next issue to see how the the healing unfolds.
If you get a chance, you should pick up the red prophet series....I'd give this one a firm 8 out of 10 with potential to get a lot better once we get into the main story.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:41 AM
Elite Fan

I just pre-ordered the Guilty Pleasures first issue, but I haven't picked up any of their other stuff. I keep reading your reviews, and they are slowly convincing me to try out more stuff.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:37 PM
Elite Fan

I have to admit, in the beginning, I didn't think that I was going to like Red Prophet all that much, I just don't get into those period type books, but I'm really starting to like it, as well as the art.

I'm super stoked about the Anita Blake series....I ordered one of each of issue 1's covers.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the review of RP #2. I finally got around to reading it.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:49 AM
Elite Fan

I didn't order any of the variant covers of Anita Blake. I just got the regular one.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:59 PM
Elite Fan

That's ok Crow! Any order is good enough.

What'd you think of Red Prophet?

Just to let everyone know, I've been asked to review Orson Scott Card's Wyrms adaptation....information can be found here:
http://www.dabelbrothers.com/projects/wyrms/wyrms.html
Old 06-01-2006, 05:53 AM
Elite Fan

I thought I'd pre-ordered Red Prophet, but I guess I didn't because it is nowhere in my order history. It sounds pretty good from your reviews, so I guess I'll have to pick up back issues or the trade if there is one.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Elite Fan

I'll see if they're going to come out as a trade or not.

I'm been lazy, I read Wyrms this week, but I haven't had time to right a prope review. It's a future/fantasy type of book and seems to deal with polictics on a new planet. It's got a different flavor to it, really.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Elite Fan

Review is in!

Here you go:

Wyrms Issue 1

Adapted from best selling author Orson Scott Card's series by Jake Black and illustrated by Adriano Batista with colors by Martin Ho, this tale of intrigue starts off with a startling image that sets the icy tone for the rest of the book.

Meet Patience, a trained assassin, skilled diplomat and savoir of the known world. Set in the distant future on a world seemingly colonized by humans, Patience is the key to a prophecized salvation that she only now becomes aware of. The only problem is, is that usurper king wants her dead, since she's the key to deposing him.

Political intrigue abounds, as well as Religious fervor, as we're thrown into a time where the clamoring powers are on a bring of civil war again, but will it be too late? It's a great story to start off with, giving you some action, and a lot of questions on what has happened. I'm hoping we get some back drop on how humans got where they are, and a bit more about this ancient prophecy from the Starship. It's a great pick up for all the sci-fi enthusiasts, especially if you liked books like C.S. Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy.

On the rating scale, I'd give this a 6 with the potential to get better. Much like with C.S. Friedman's Black Sun Rising, I see the potential of a great story starting to unfold, but the great issues probably won't be until a few more issues in, when the story really starts to heat up like it did in When True Night Falls. As usual, DBPro has me waiting to see how it's going to unfold. The art is fairly good with deep colors enriching the pencils and lending depth to the wonderful adaptation that's been provided for us.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top