Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2004, 05:07 PM
Elite Fan

Certified Cool: Comics You Think Everyone Should Be Reading

Well, I've been meaning to start this thread for a while, but it's taken me a little time to get off my lazy duff and do it.

Anyhow, this thread is for those comic books that you read and love, and you think that everyone else should give a try. I started a similar thread for The Goon, but I figured it would be easier to have one central place where everyone could share their favorite comics with everyone else...whether they are 'off the beaten path' or from one of the Big Two publishers.

I'll be back later with a few recommendations of my own.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:01 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Great idea for a thread. And I love the title!

Hmm, I have this board to blame for my not being able to have a budget.

I'm now a Goon addict thanks to Crow. I love that book. The trade of the first few issues just came out. Look through it and just yield to the madness.

Carly (aka Life), the former mod got me into Demo, and I just bought some volumes of Kare Kano too.

Oddly enough, my most ardent recommendation is Identity Crisis. It feels silly since the book is so big right now. But I think it's an instant classic. I didn't really know the characters involved, but now I'm obsessed with them. Great work by Brad Meltzer, Rags Morales, and everyone involved. Even the letterer (whoever they are) gets kudos, b/c it's so complicated.

I highly, highly recommend it. I'm wetting my pants waiting for the final issue. (I don't think anyone needed to know that )
Old 12-04-2004, 02:25 PM
Elite Fan

Life Eaters by David Brin (Scott Hamilton artist)

I've read a few negative reviews of this one, but I really liked it. It is the story of an alternate history: One where the Axis won WWII because they were helped by the Norse gods (except Loki...he aided the Allies). The rest of the GN deals with humanities struggle to stay relevant as more and more gods begin to spring up around the globe.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I think anything can get a negative review. I take them with a grain of salt anyways.

Norse mythology and history...It sounds like it might be a snoozer to me. But I'll look at it.

I'll have to look it up. But I think David Brin writes sci-fi novels. Ones I've read and enjoyed.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:37 PM
Elite Fan

He does write sci-fi novels. This GN started out as a short story, but I can't remember the name of it.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:14 AM
Dedicated Fan

I'm sure you all know this one... the online comic Neurotically Yours at http://www.playgroundofdeath.com/
Old 12-07-2004, 12:38 PM
Master Fan

I know the comic has been around for a while but I think everyone should own a copy of Kingdom Come and read it over and over again.
The Survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:20 AM
Elite Fan

I've been wading through some of my unread back issues, and I rediscovered a mini-series that I really liked called Empire. There were two issues from Image, then it moved to DC...where I believe the Image stuff was reprinted in the #0 issue.

If you haven't read it, it is Mark Waid's story of how things work after a supervillian actually succeeds in pretty much taking over the world. In the mini-series, Golgoth has conquered almost every country on earth, with only a couple of holdouts. What follows is his journey towards putting down the last of the resistance, all the while trying to keep his evil lieutenants from stabbing him, and each other, in the back (literally and figuratively), as well as his sad background and the sacrifices he makes in pursuit of his goal.

The art by Barry Kitson is pretty good. Nothing spectacular, but it definitely doesn't detract from the story at all. I don't believe that a TPB collecting this series ever came out, so anyone who wants to read it will probably have to pick up the individual issues.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It sounds interesting. I've actually thought about this thread a lot. But I can't think of what to suggest.

So I thought of It's a bird.... Coincidentally, it just came out in softcover.

Quote:
A softcover edition of the acclaimed VERTIGO hardcover that tells one of the most realistic Superman tales ever — without featuring Superman. Steve's given the dream assignment to write Superman, only he can't relate to a Man of Steel when his own fears of death haunt him. Explore the cultural significance of a comic-book icon as Steve comes to terms with Superman's cultural importance.
It's hard to explain. It goes back and forth in time. It deals with philosophy, history, mythology and biology. And of course Superman. And the painter does the art in a different style for every aspect of the book.

I scanned a couple of sample pages. But the word "sample" is a bad word, since each page is completely different.

Old 03-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Elite Fan

I just read this interesting TPB called Whitechapel Freak. It is an interesting take on the Jack the Ripper murders and how they relate to a traveling freak show that just took up residence in London. The art isn't the best, but the story is interesting enough to overcome it, and I can honestly say I've never seen this take on Jack the Ripper ever before.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Sounds interesting. It reminds me that I've been wanting to read "From Hell" too.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:17 AM
Master Fan

Recommendations

I looked but I didn't see a thread about this so..

I need some recommendations, I usually read Marvel but I've branched out lately, I've read Preacher, Hellblazer, Sandman lately, and I really liked those too..It doesn't have to be recent comics either, so what do you recommend?
Old 06-23-2005, 11:59 AM
Elite Fan

Hmm. Good question. My recent tastes have been towards reading the hokey old 80's/early 90's Marvel comics like Foolkiller and Ghost Rider. I'll be back later with some comics I'd actually feel comfortable recommending to other people.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Master Fan

I liked Ghost Rider..lol Have you ead Howard the Duck? I loved Howard the Duck..
Old 06-24-2005, 07:32 AM
Elite Fan

I've never been able to get my hands on any old Howard the Duck issues. I'm sure they'd be a great read though.

I did think of a couple of comics I'd recommend.

Lullaby: This is an 'all ages' take on the land of fairy tales...sort of like Fables only it takes place in Wonderland and the other fairy tale lands. I've only read the first two issues so far, but they have been enough to keep me looking out for the next issue.

Elsinore: I'm still not sure what this is ultimately going to be about, but it is definitely one of the most interesting comics I've ever read. It is set in an asylum where many of the inmates apparently have superpowers. There are hints of an ages old 'cult' and chosen ones and all of that. I've only read the first issue, but I have the second one whenever I can find the time to set down and read it.