Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Elite Fan

Cartoon/Anime to Live Action: Thoughts?

Just to clear things before I get started, this is not an appreciation thread but more of a discussion/debate similar to the Anime Sub vs. Dub thread.

With the increase of cartoons/anime being turned in to live action films/TV Shows these days, whether it be American adaptation or even in Japanese Live Action (Yes, Japan's done this before with Sailor Moon, Death Note, Saikano, etc.) does live action versions of animation ruin what you're all used to whether it be an American adaptation or something else?

The same goes for comics and video games but let's just stick with cartoons, shall we?

Personally for me, while it's very rare for cartoon/anime turned live action adaptation works out [wouldn't exactly count Who Framed Roger Rabbit or Space Jam to be among those since they weren't exactly based on a series], most of the time it doesn't. Especially in recent years where companies think CGI effects would wow the audience, overtaking its plot, storyline, and accuracies of characters to its original source material.

Also, as far as anime converted to American live-action film, not only is it really awkward (can anyone imagine Yu-Gi-Oh or Pokemon being live action??), but I would prefer that it came from its country origin. If people can read and put up with subtitles for The Passion of the Christ, then what's wrong with sitting through the Japanese live action version of...let's say Death Note with subtitles.

But even granted, sometimes even Japan can't do justice with its live action (Sailor Moon live action scared me, except for the bits of Dark Mercury).

Granted, of course, there are some complications when you have to work out the technicalities in terms of paying for the cost of foreign film to be distributed worldwide, paying everyone who was involved in the film, and such.

For those who are curious, here's a list of both American and Japanese animation made in to live action films or are being considered/green lit/in development:

*Note: Most likely I may have left something out so if I did, let me know.

American (sequels not included)
Popeye (1980)
Masters of the Universe (1987)
Dennis the Menace (1993)
The Flintstones (1994)
101 Dalmatians (1996)
Mr. Magoo (1997)
George of the Jungle (1997)
Inspector Gadget (1999)
Dudley Do-Right (1999)
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)
The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle (2000)
Josie and the Pussycats (2001)
Scooby Doo (2002)
Fat Albert (2004)
Garfield (2004)
Γ†on Flux (2005)
Alvin and the Chipmunks (2007)
Transformers (2007)
Underdog (2007)
Ben 10 (2007, TV Movie)
G.I Joe (2009)
Yogi Bear (Dec. 2010)
The Smurfs (2011)
The Fairly Oddparents (July 2011)
The Adventures of Tin Tin: The Secret of the Unicorn (Dec. 23, 2011 Source)

Anime (American adaptations only unless noted!)
The Guyver (1991)
Fist of the North Star (1995)
Uzumazaki (2000)+
Sky High (2003)+
Sailor Moon (2003-2004, TV Series)+*
Cutie Honey (2004)+
Nana (2005)+
Initial D (2005)+
Saikano (2006)+
Death Note (2006)+**
Speed Racer (2008)
Dragonball Evolution (2009)
Cowboy Bebop (2011)
Voltron (2011)
Rurouni Kenshin+ (2012)
+ Made in Japan only

* Rumors of an American adaptation of Sailor Moon are always ongoing but so far, it's not true. The closest it got to an American live action adaptation was when Toon Makers and DiC were trying to get the rights to dub Sailor Moon. This is Toon Makers' live version: [Link]

** Death Note was released in American theaters on May 20-21 2008. However, it wasn't an American adaptation but an English dubbed version of the original. [Link)

Greenlit/Being Considered/In Development/Rumored
*This section is for American adaptations only unless indicated!

Bleach (source)
Death Note (source)
Vampire Hunter D (rumored. Source Most likely Japan only)
Ghost in the Shell (1, 2)
Battle Angel Alita (1, Comic Con 2009 vid)
Akira (1, 2)
Tom and Jerry (Source...possible rumor)
Speedy Gonzales (Title to be determined) [Source]
Ikki Tousen / Battle Vixens (Source)
Captain Planet [1 & 2]
The Jetsons (possible 2012 release 1 & 2)
Marvin the Martian (Source 1 and 2)
*Currently, there is conflicting information regarding the release of Marvin the Martian. While it is confirmed about the production, some sources have the release date as late Dec. 2011 while others indicate some time in 2012.

Last edited by Lain; 09-21-2011 at 03:57 AM
Lain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Well, there are some that I like. But I'm still upset about the live action Alvin & the Chipmunks movies. I think that they might've been better if they had used children around the size of the cartoon chipmunks and chipettes and just made them look as much like chipmunks as the cartoons looked (well, and have it be written better, but that's beside the point). I think CGI chipmunks and chipettes were a big mistake
funky_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Elite Fan

Which ones do you like?

As far as children the size of the chipmunks and chipettes, I'm really not sure. This kind of goes with them wearing costumes and such. Impossible to pull off? Not really, especially with what wonders make up and CGI effects can do these days. Believable? In both cases of appearance and acting-wise, here's where the doubt comes in.

Also, for some bizzare reason, it kind of makes me imagine kids putting on puppet costumes just to act out the part (i.e Alf, Sesame Street, etc.)
Old 08-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The ones I like from the list are: How the Grinch Stole Christmas, The Flintstones, Ghostbusters, and The Cat in the Hat.

I actually haven't seen many of the others on the list, so I'm not sure if I can fairly judge them
funky_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Elite Fan

Flinstones was okay. I haven't seen Ghostbusters in a long time.

I think most likely people don't really know much about the ones on the anime list...or at least the ones not released outside of Japan. Maybe a quarter worth of all the series in the lists are fairly recent.

And to think if those racial comments about Avatar were bad, you should see the ones about Dragonball.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Elite Fan

I think Sailor Moon and Popeye were the worst, in my opinion.

Have a happy holiday & prosperous new year!
vc318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Elite Fan

That depends which one you've seen. The Japanese live action or Toon Makers attempt at its English adaptation.

Edit: I'm referring to Sailor Moon of course.

Last edited by Lain; 08-22-2010 at 09:57 PM
Old 08-28-2010, 05:18 AM
New Fan

There's only two off the top of my head that I actually enjoyed. They are:

101 Dalmatians (which you forgot to mention)
Alvin and the Chipmunks

Now, while I don't think it's impossible to get a live-action adaptation to work, it's pretty difficult to pull off. I also find it a little unnecessary at times, seeing as live action is pretty restricted compared to animation and unless you have a decent budget, you don't really have much room to move when making the film either.
--Will one day be the world's best game developer. Check out my newest projects: @fantanoice.--
fantanoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for reminding me about the 101 Dalmatians one.

I always think in animation, you have unlimited boundaries as far as action goes because hell, you just draw away. Do anything that's not even humanly impossible (like survive multiple blasts of dynamite by only having a black burnt face as a result).

I don't think it's impossible to convert to live action from animation but like you said, it's pretty difficult.

But you do make a good point about budget. I think these days, they kind of go hand in hand. Speed Racer, the live action one, costs about $120 million for their budget (not how much they made in the box office) while Up's budget was $175 million. I guess it all depends on how much effort/CGI was put in to it, not to mention the whole production costs and those other tidbits.

Then again, there is the 2D style animation like The Powerpuff Girls Movie (2002, $11 million) and The Simpsons Movie (2007, $75 million). One of the differences between these two and others such as Kung Fu Panda or Wall-E other than animation tactics is likely the whole process of voice actors. Powerpuff Girls and Simpsons had at least majority of their respective voice cast while other animated films not based on the TV series or foreign shows (unless, however, it's based on an old show where many of its original voice actors have either passed away or retired) have to find and audition numerous actors and actresses with sound check and all. And then having to fly them in to do the recording and stuff...

I know not all live action/animation films are like this depending on how much is put in to the film in terms of effects, CGI stuff. There are movies, live action or not, whose budget go for at least $20 million (Kick-Ass).

I don't know the whole technical stuff that could make the integration of CGI/Live Action that could be slightly cheaper or maybe around the same costs.

Garfield: $50 million
Alvin and the Chipmunks: $65 million
Who Framed Roger Rabbit: $70 million
Space Jam: $80 million

Somehow, I kinda expected it to be a little more expensive intertwining Live Action and CGI together but I guess with advanced technology, it's a bit easier as opposed if you did it with Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Cost effective wise, maybe it's a little easier to do the combination of both. But the numbers between the combining of both live action/CGI, solely animation, and solely live action adaptation...depending on the effects and production stuff put in to, isn't too far off.

Anywho, here's a few sites that have links to the budget numbers. Mostly "blockbuster" like films. Doesn't seem to list every single movie ever made.

The Numbers - Movie Budgets
10 Blockbuster 3D Animated Films: Man Hours, Budget, Popularity | Tech Xav

Last edited by Lain; 08-28-2010 at 07:19 PM
Old 09-26-2010, 06:40 AM
New Fan

The live action adaption of Dragonball Z was really bad.
Warner Bros is gonna make a Bleach Live Action movie. I hope it will turn out well, cause I'm a huge Bleach fan. Everyone says that it will suck like Dragonball Evolution did. But DB Evolution was produced by 20th Century Fox and Bleach will be by Warner Bros, and Warner Bros is so much better, they had movies like:

Inception
Harry Potter series
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
The Matrix Reloaded
The Dark Knight
The Hangover
Sherlock Holmes and so on..

Personally, I don't think it will suck.
*Elena* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Couples

Oh, Sailor Moon. I'm on a kick. While the live action was ... eh... I did enjoy how they dealt with the identities - how the hair changed. And the fact they were actual Japanese girls.

Has anyone seen what Saban was planning to do with live action SM? *cries*
Old 09-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Has anyone seen what Saban was planning to do with live action SM? *cries*
Oh that one never gets old. It's sometimes a subject brought up on the Sailor Moon thread on this board. The link's already on the opening post.

It's not really Saban, let's not blame them entirely. I'd say it's Saban-inspired.

Hi Elena, hmm...Warner Bros. might have potential but that's up in the air when it comes to these sort of things.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:29 AM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Couples

I was reading through the SM thread. I saw the discussion. Oh, wheel chair!scout. *sigh* It really never gets old.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Elite Fan

I'm all for diversity and stuff but that one was just a bit too much. I think the company just wanted to bank on the "Sailor Moon" name itself.

Then again, the video was during the early 90s and the whole diversity of minorities and those with a disability was rampant in it's politically correctness.

But hey, wheelchair scout!
Old 09-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Couples

No one would ever believe she was a scout!

So, I'm finishing rewatching the first ep of the live action.

a) Luna. No. Just...No. Stop. Have you never seen Sabrina? *weeps in pain*
b) The Sailor Scout outfit? Erm..Isn't Japan known for their outfits? Short and lots of exposure?! Why is so so covered? Why is it so huge on her?
c) The accessories look like barbie toys. That phone? The Cresent Wand. The tranformation necklace? Seriously?!

That said, I really love seeing them in live action. I love how they did the hair styles transformed. I love Usagi's hair. I love Shingo, omg he's adorable. And Mamoru is a major prick. But I love him so.

The Live Action is based on the Manga, right? Like Venus's storyline or something? I never read. I can't really get into reading comics/manga.

I feel like this was made for anime fans. Like, you have to be in love with the series to be able to watch it. (Which, like, a year ago, I spent a weekend doing nothing but watching all the acts.)
Reply   Post New Thread